IMG_4037 (resized).JPG
IMG_4271 (resized).JPG
IMG_6583 (resized).JPG
IMG_6587 (resized).JPG
IMG_6348 (resized).JPG
IMG_6204 (resized).JPG
IMG_6199 (resized).JPG
IMG_4464 (resized).JPG
There are 197 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
#101 7 years ago

Good thread!

#102 6 years ago

Looks great!

#103 6 years ago

Thanks! I started touching up some black lines and filling up some cracks in the black area. I did spray some clear lacquer this morning to see if the color will blend properly. It's going to dry up today and when I'm back home I should have my answer. (My wife do not want me to spray in the house so I do it when we are away...)

Ordered my face mask yesterday so I'll be ready to give a few coats of clear when the weather warms up. Then I can see if it needs more touching up or I'm good to go and re-populate.

I'll try to do wood tone this week-end. I was planning to do only the shooter lane but I might do all the bare wood areas actually. Just a light transparent coat to even things out. I'll first try around the pop bumpers and see how it looks.

#104 6 years ago

I sanded the clear and I freshen up the bare wood with a birch tone color. It's quite different but it cleans up the game real good. It also improves the shooter lane dramatically. Once cleared, the wood pattern should show up a little more. Overall I like it.

I got some tiny touch-ups to do in the black and I plan on redoing all of the stars as some are quite faded. To have tried it in one place it makes them pop really nice.

IMG_5477 (resized).JPGIMG_5477 (resized).JPG

IMG_5480 (resized).JPGIMG_5480 (resized).JPG

IMG_5478 (resized).JPGIMG_5478 (resized).JPG

IMG_5481 (resized).JPGIMG_5481 (resized).JPG

IMG_5483 (resized).JPGIMG_5483 (resized).JPG

#105 6 years ago

Very good job!!
it looks like new.

#106 6 years ago

Merci buddy!

1 month later
#107 6 years ago

I fixed the white text saying: LITES EXTRA BALL.

I stopped looking for a place printing white on waterslide decals. In my search though, I found a guy who suggested using a Cameo stencil cutter. He asked how large was the text and agreed to take a shot at it. He kindly offered to cut it and send it to me. Kudos to another dedicated pinhead.

He did cut the text as on the insert but also separate letters. I used the "as is" version and taped off the letter which did not need to be fixed. I only re-did the bottom tip of "I" and "T". Then the "X" and "T".

A few thin layers of airbrush color and the result is pretty good. Too good actually. The original text was a bit blurry and the new letters are sharper. From the player's POV it will go unnoticed.

IMG_5688 (resized).JPGIMG_5688 (resized).JPGIMG_5748 (resized).JPGIMG_5748 (resized).JPG

IMG_5739 (resized).JPGIMG_5739 (resized).JPGIMG_5740 (resized).JPGIMG_5740 (resized).JPG
IMG_5742 (resized).JPGIMG_5742 (resized).JPGIMG_5743 (resized).JPGIMG_5743 (resized).JPG
IMG_5744 (resized).JPGIMG_5744 (resized).JPGIMG_5747 (resized).JPGIMG_5747 (resized).JPG

#108 6 years ago

Ready for clearcoat I guess

#109 6 years ago

Glad the Gerbermask Ultra paint mask worked out for you! Looks great. Thankfully didn't have to deal with letters + tiny holes.

Awaiting my Graphtec CB09 blades for the Cameo to see how they deal with teeny-tiny letters.

2 weeks later
#110 6 years ago

Got my first 2 coats (1 full can) on. I clean up my shed, made some room and hang up my light.
I waited about 12-15 mins between coats. Looking good except I made a mistake when I mixed my white paint using straight up flow improver instead of my homemade mix. Result, the white paint seems to want to wrinkle. I'll see once it's dry and sanded if I need to touch it back up...

Before, first time it sees the sun in months.
IMG_5799 (resized).JPGIMG_5799 (resized).JPG

My setup and condition
IMG_5805 (resized).JPGIMG_5805 (resized).JPG
IMG_5806 (resized).JPGIMG_5806 (resized).JPG

A few picture before I get the fuck out.
IMG_5807 (resized).JPGIMG_5807 (resized).JPG
IMG_5808 (resized).JPGIMG_5808 (resized).JPG

#111 6 years ago

Also, I decided to redo the white and do waterslide decals for the inlanes text. We'll see how it turns out. I'll install the decals after the first coat of clear.

Had to redo the white twice since my color match was wrong (picture)

IMG_5797 (resized).JPGIMG_5797 (resized).JPG
IMG_5798 (resized).JPGIMG_5798 (resized).JPG

LitesExtraBall_InLanes (resized).pngLitesExtraBall_InLanes (resized).png

1 week later
#112 6 years ago

As I'm redoing some of my touch-ups, I figured I should post a video of how I cut frisket mask with an xacto knife. I am no artist and a beginner really but I guess it shows with a little patience and steady hand anybody can do it.

Tips I may share:
-Hold the knife lightly, no need to press hard, be gentle.
-Use you other hand to steady your motion. Like I play guitar, I use my pinky to add some control to the movement and slide along the surface better.
-When doing rounds, I prefer to start with my wrist bent and unwind, not the inverse. Bend as much before getting unconformable, you can get a good stretch with the same stroke. Move your body and a whole.
-Change position to get best approach and best lighting. Do not get lazy standing in one place.

2 weeks later
#113 6 years ago

Howdy folks!

Time to give an update.

First, I encountered problems when I did my first coat (I'm using spraymax 2k in a can) The white area and everything that got mixed with white craked and wrinkled under the clear. Some other color reacted as well. Disaster. I had to redo all the white, light gray, yellow, green, orange and blue. Again practice makes perfect.

IMG_5852 (resized).JPGIMG_5852 (resized).JPG

IMG_5853 (resized).JPGIMG_5853 (resized).JPG

IMG_5854 (resized).JPGIMG_5854 (resized).JPG

IMG_5855 (resized).JPGIMG_5855 (resized).JPG

#114 6 years ago

Rework.

Multiple light coats, heat cured in-between, knocked down the edge before clearcoat. Apparently the problem might have been caused by using acrylic lacquer to seal down touch-up between color. Funny enough, I as suggested to do that. I had no issues the second time around.

I also did my 2 water slide decals for each inlanes. These are tricky to install and nowhere near perfect. But good enough. I would need some serious practice before redoing all inserts text on a playfield. Luckily those 2 are kinda hidden.

So after the paint touch-ups, light layer of clear, wait 12 hours, sand for tooth, apply water slide decals, let dry for 12 hours, light coat of clear, wait 15 mins, wet coat of clear (that's the content of 1 can)

IMG_5856 (resized).JPGIMG_5856 (resized).JPGIMG_5893 (resized).JPGIMG_5893 (resized).JPGIMG_5888 (resized).JPGIMG_5888 (resized).JPGIMG_5886 (resized).JPGIMG_5886 (resized).JPG

#115 6 years ago

So this morning I was ready to tackle final sanding and final clearcoat!

I started using 600 grit but it did not leave the playfield flat enough without serious muscle. I previously wet sanded but did not like it and decided to do dry sanding this time around going with 400 grit and "Richard's" sanding block. That was it. I was able to get the playfield completely flat except a few low spots.

I do not care that much about low spots under the posts, more importantly I took care of the places where the ball travels and the eyes can see.

I used a sheet and half of 400 and wiped with naptha after each 1/4 of sheet.

I finished with my trusty green scotch-brite pad and gave a light 600 grit final sanding. Pretty good!

IMG_5896 (resized).JPGIMG_5896 (resized).JPG
IMG_5897 (resized).JPGIMG_5897 (resized).JPG
IMG_5898 (resized).JPGIMG_5898 (resized).JPG
IMG_5900 (resized).JPGIMG_5900 (resized).JPG
IMG_5901 (resized).JPGIMG_5901 (resized).JPG
IMG_5902 (resized).JPGIMG_5902 (resized).JPG
IMG_5904 (resized).JPGIMG_5904 (resized).JPG
IMG_5903 (resized).JPGIMG_5903 (resized).JPG
IMG_5907 (resized).JPGIMG_5907 (resized).JPG

#116 6 years ago

After, I vacuumed all the holes and blew with compressed air the whole thing. I did not want for debris to raise and fall once I shoot the final coat.

Wiped with naptha and tack cloth.

I then filled the low spots with clear using an eyedropper. I used my 3rd and last can of Spraymax. Sprayed in a cup and filled the low spots.

I then waited 20 mins to shoot the final heavy coat.

I was ready!

IMG_5909 (resized).JPGIMG_5909 (resized).JPGIMG_5910 (resized).JPGIMG_5910 (resized).JPGIMG_5911 (resized).JPGIMG_5911 (resized).JPGIMG_5912 (resized).JPGIMG_5912 (resized).JPGIMG_5913 (resized).JPGIMG_5913 (resized).JPG

#117 6 years ago

I was able to do multiple passes from different direction since the light bulbs seemed to blocked the clear depending of what direction I was shooting from. I did not want that to happen on the final coat.

It went very well. Good coverage. 1 hour in I took those pictures and it looks flat and true.

After polishing, it should look pretty sweet!

IMG_5914 (resized).JPGIMG_5914 (resized).JPG

IMG_5917 (resized).JPGIMG_5917 (resized).JPG

IMG_5916 (resized).JPGIMG_5916 (resized).JPG

IMG_5918 (resized).JPGIMG_5918 (resized).JPG

IMG_5919 (resized).JPGIMG_5919 (resized).JPG

IMG_5920 (resized).JPGIMG_5920 (resized).JPG

IMG_5921 (resized).JPGIMG_5921 (resized).JPG

IMG_5922 (resized).JPGIMG_5922 (resized).JPG

IMG_5923 (resized).JPGIMG_5923 (resized).JPG

#118 6 years ago

In the meantime, I continue cleaning other parts like flame polishing my lift ramp and cleaning my translite and back glass. Someone in the past used hockey tape (classic) to hold the translite to the glass and the glass to the bottom rail. I was able to remove all glue residue using naptha fuel.

Using Novus 2, I was also able to remove quite a lot of brown stuff from behind the translite even though it looked clean at first sight.

IMG_5879 (resized).JPGIMG_5879 (resized).JPG

IMG_5880 (resized).JPGIMG_5880 (resized).JPG

IMG_5881 (resized).JPGIMG_5881 (resized).JPG

#119 6 years ago

Looks amazing!

#120 6 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Looks amazing!

Thanks man. I feel it's all worth it now.

#121 6 years ago

Looks great

#122 6 years ago

Nice job on the rework!

#123 6 years ago
Quoted from PM_Jeremy:

Nice job on the rework!

Thanks. The area where I filled low spots took way longer to cure and I got 1-2 spots where it bubbled. I guess I did not leave enough time before spraying over top the puddles.

I'll let it sit for at least a week and see what sanding does.

#124 6 years ago

Today I wet sanded my playfield in prep for the final polish. I started with 400 and hit some high spots. Then 600, 800, 1000, 1500. At this point, the playfield is ready to polish and I can start seeing the shine back on. What a mess wet sanding makes...

I have Meguiars M105 (Ultra-Cut Compound) and M205 (Ultra Finishing Polish) is stock and waiting on my polishing pads I ordered (unfortunately from china...)

In the meantime, I finished re-graining, polishing and waxing my ball guides and ball through. I find a coat of wax helps them keep there shine and prevent oxydation.

Before
IMG_5944 (resized).JPGIMG_5944 (resized).JPG
IMG_5950 (resized).JPGIMG_5950 (resized).JPG

After
IMG_5946 (resized).JPGIMG_5946 (resized).JPG
IMG_5951 (resized).JPGIMG_5951 (resized).JPG
IMG_5949 (resized).JPGIMG_5949 (resized).JPG

#125 6 years ago

Stored and ready for assembly.

IMG_5952 (resized).JPGIMG_5952 (resized).JPG

1 week later
#126 6 years ago

congratulation!!!! fantastic!!

#127 6 years ago

Thanks! Still waiting on my polishing pads from China... then it's back on the rotisserie!

1 week later
#128 6 years ago

I'm done! with my playfield. It made it's way back in the basement to repopulate. I was waiting for my polishing pads and I sanded the playfield prior. After the initial buffing pass, a bunch of scratches from the sandpaper showed up. I was disappointed. I thought the playfield looked way better when it came out of the last clear coat. I thought of may be re-shoot for a last coat and buff from there instead of sanding. But before, I then tried a more aggressive buffing and most of the scratches disappeared. Before, I re-sanded the whole playfield with 1500 and 2000 before buffing to get rid of the scratches.

Overall, it looks very good. I'm sure Kruzman would find a lot to work on but I'm happy with the result. Time to move on.

Here is the playfield before my first buffing:
IMG_6181 (resized).JPGIMG_6181 (resized).JPG

The scratches showing up:
IMG_6187 (resized).JPGIMG_6187 (resized).JPG

Second sanding and agressive buffing:
IMG_6184 (resized).JPGIMG_6184 (resized).JPG

After polishing:
IMG_6194 (resized).JPGIMG_6194 (resized).JPG

What I used:
IMG_6182 (resized).JPGIMG_6182 (resized).JPG

A few more:
IMG_6198 (resized).JPGIMG_6198 (resized).JPG
IMG_6199 (resized).JPGIMG_6199 (resized).JPG
IMG_6205 (resized).JPGIMG_6205 (resized).JPG
IMG_6201 (resized).JPGIMG_6201 (resized).JPG

#129 6 years ago

Great thread! I love what you're doing here.

#130 6 years ago
Quoted from Nevus:

Great thread! I love what you're doing here.

Thanks buddy!

#131 6 years ago

Just spent an hour reading this whole thread. Great job! Thanks for the extensive photos and updates. You have tremendous patience and positive attitude. Can't wait to see your next resto. Better than any book or TV show. I really have enjoyed it. Thank you!

#132 6 years ago
Quoted from oPinsesame:

Just spent an hour reading this whole thread. Great job! Thanks for the extensive photos and updates. You have tremendous patience and positive attitude. Can't wait to see your next resto. Better than any book or TV show. I really have enjoyed it. Thank you!

Thanks for the great word. Give me a boost to finish this project. I'm glad I could entertain

The playfield is back on the rotisserie and what a change in look since I pulled off the mylar. I gave a shoot at installing a few posts but I'll need to open up the holes before as some clear sunk and is blocking the easy way in.

#133 6 years ago

A limpid pool of a playfield if I ever saw one

#134 6 years ago

Looking good! Keep up the good work!

#135 6 years ago

Plumonium , Excellent work! Would you mind sharing your process for re-graining the ball guides? Yours came out great and I have been struggling with finding the ideal process.

Thanks!

#136 6 years ago
Quoted from xeneize:

Would you mind sharing your process for re-graining the ball guides?

For deep scratches, start with 120 grit sand paper, it will get rid off about pretty much all trails. Then you smooth out with finer grit. 320 to 600, then I use green 3M pad (i like it because it gets into corner and round area like lockdown bar corner). Then it's autosol metal polish with a microfiber rag, it will get smooth and shiny. I finish with a wax.

I do it by hand in 1 direction only. If you can clamp the piece in bench vice it helps get some muscle to it.

It won't get to mirror finish by hand but it does a great job no matter what. Clean your hand often to avoid fingerprints all over, autosol eats up metal and it gets messy.

This technic is also valid for side rails and lockdown bar. Mine came out like new.

Autosol (resized).pngAutosol (resized).png

#137 6 years ago

Installed the posts tonight. Takes way more time to put them back then take them off. Fun times though. My fingers are all cut from turning a fresh drill bit through the hole openings to shave some clear off.

Did not forget the washer underneath the left post near the target bank. Offset towards the back for max efficiency.

IMG_6237 (resized).JPGIMG_6237 (resized).JPG
IMG_6238 (resized).JPGIMG_6238 (resized).JPG

#138 6 years ago

Sorry for the post without pictures, I'll upload them tonight.

I spend 3 hours Saturday night (way past my bed time) to continue populating the playfield. So much fun!! I'm working the bottom part first. I started putting the pop bumpers back together but will need to undo a bunch or wires underneath to make room for my stapler... These wired socket are a pain to work with. I'll try to wiggle my way around and get the stapler in there.

I went with black skirt for the pop and I think it look bad ass. Also went with the black grommet for the way out of the pops.

Even though I took a bunch of pictures, I sometimes wonder what goes where... Also, Even though I compartmentalized all my screws and hardware, some mechs hardware were split and I find myself digging in multiple stash... I'm also missing some screws and stuff but I'm sure they will turn up and. As long as I used the correct screw size and type...

I also finished rebuilding the flippers and put back together. Here you can see my custom bracket for the return spring since I have the old style flipper bracket. All i'm missing is solder the wires the coils back as I'll do most of my soldering all at the same time.

#139 6 years ago

Here
IMG_6256 (resized).JPGIMG_6256 (resized).JPG

Bad ass black skirts:
IMG_6258 (resized).JPGIMG_6258 (resized).JPG

After deliberation, I'll actually go with the gray post on the left.
IMG_6259 (resized).JPGIMG_6259 (resized).JPG

IMG_6260 (resized).JPGIMG_6260 (resized).JPG

Custom spring bracket added to the switch stack, made of aluminum:
IMG_6261 (resized).JPGIMG_6261 (resized).JPG

#140 6 years ago

Damn that playfield is beautiful, I am so jealous. Keep the pictures coming love to see it coming together.

#141 6 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Damn that playfield is beautiful, I am so jealous. Keep the pictures coming love to see it coming together.

Thank you some much pal! I will keep posting these.

#142 6 years ago
Quoted from Plumonium:

Did not forget the washer underneath the left post near the target bank. Offset towards the back for max efficiency.

What is the purpose of the washer?

#143 6 years ago

Incredible work! Looks brand new.

Quoted from LateCenturyMods:

I assume to help absorb/distribute the force of the impact of the ball rather than have that little narrow post eat up the playfield

#144 6 years ago
Quoted from LateCenturyMods:

Like Dudah said, it distributes the force of the ball hitting that tiny post at repetition. This post is famous for chewing up the playfield or simply breaking.

My post was broken and the shaft still in the threads, someone put in a big wood screw in front with a rubber sleeve around as replacement. Very common. I filled in the front hole and repaired around the correct hole with the T-nut underneath. This post is a 6-32 instead of 8-32 used pretty much elsewhere, especially in a vulnerable location. Design flaw.

fd1f8d7fd9522326e1d2500a746b637904462eea (resized).jpgfd1f8d7fd9522326e1d2500a746b637904462eea (resized).jpg

#145 6 years ago
Quoted from Plumonium:

Like Dudah said, it distributes the force of the ball hitting that tiny post at repetition. This post is famous for chewing up the playfield or simply breaking.
My post was broken and the shaft still in the threads, someone put in a big wood screw in front with a rubber sleeve around as replacement. Very common. I filled in the front hole and repaired around the correct hole with the T-nut underneath. This post is a 6-32 instead of 8-32 used pretty much elsewhere, especially in a vulnerable location. Design flaw.

Hmm.. Maybe I'll swap this out when i do mine.

#146 6 years ago
Quoted from WhiskeyTango:

Hmm.. Maybe I'll swap this out when i do mine.

What yours looks like?

#147 6 years ago

Spend 2 and half more hours late last night. Really, you can't put the screwdriver down, it's so much fun.

I was able to do the slingshots, the advance planet posts and most importantly the drop down targets assembly. What a bitch. There is a very particular order you got to put things back together.

I'm still waiting to finish the pops, I fear how I'll be able to solder and staple the sockets...

Pictures coming tonight.

#148 6 years ago
Quoted from Plumonium:

What yours looks like?

I’ll grab a pic.

#149 6 years ago

Pictures. I know it's not as exotic as other steps before but still I'll keep documenting.

I ordered new star posts for the front side and I'm going to re-use the old ones (they cleaned up very well) for the back and hidden places. The new blues are darker but that's fine as long as they are grouped together.
IMG_6263 (resized).JPGIMG_6263 (resized).JPG
IMG_6270 (resized).JPGIMG_6270 (resized).JPG

Every bolt and screw from the top side is polished using a drill, autosol metal polish and rag before being put back on. Get the shine on!
IMG_6264 (resized).JPGIMG_6264 (resized).JPG

Slingshots
IMG_6266 (resized).JPGIMG_6266 (resized).JPG

Drop-down target assembly
IMG_6267 (resized).JPGIMG_6267 (resized).JPG
IMG_6268 (resized).JPGIMG_6268 (resized).JPG

#150 6 years ago

Looks awesome!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Kingston, OK
3,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Clovis, CA
$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

3,152 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pulaski, PA
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Twisted Tokens

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

There are 197 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbot-restoration-underway/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.