View topic image gallery

549728_3687039092231_437213257_n.jpg
IMG_1582.JPG
2012-12-30_17-25-18_724.jpg
IMG_1581.JPG
IMG_1580.JPG
IMG_1578.JPG
IMG_1577.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Dommer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 11 years ago

I just picked up a Pinbot yesterday and am going to start work on fixing it up and wanted some help.
The lowdown:
-the game is complete (with topper!)
-playfield has had mylar removed and there is some residue leftover. there's also some fine crackling.
-come broken plastics.
-needs a good shop out and some fine tuning.

So here's my questions:
1) for cleaning the playfield, i was going to magic eraser the reside off with alcohol/goo gone and then using some novus 2. does this sound like the best course of action? anything i can do to fix the crackling?
2) after cleaning the playfield, i was going do some touch up work with enamel paint and also get some new decals (these: ebay.com link: Pinbot Pinball Machine Insert Decals ). should i remove the old ones first or just put them over the old?

3) the big debate is if i should mylar over the whole thing when i'm done. i was planning to use some good car wax on the table if i don't do the mlyar (or should i wax over the mylar?)
4) is it worth putting LEDs in a 'players quality' machine? if so, should i order them myself or just get a kit off ebay?
5) there's been a couple issues with a phantom tilt. has only happened twice, but sometimes when i hit one of the drop targets on the left side (top or middle i think), the machine will automatically tilt. any idea on what i should look for?

added some pictures so ya'll would have an idea of exactly what i'm dealing with. IMG_1577.jpgIMG_1577.jpg IMG_1578.JPGIMG_1578.JPG IMG_1580.JPGIMG_1580.JPG IMG_1581.JPGIMG_1581.JPG

#4 11 years ago

right now my focus is cleaning it up really nice and getting the playfield stable. done work like it on my last machine, just not the mylar/mylar goop removal part.

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from GListOverflow:

I filled in the cracking on mine with paint thinned out enough to run a little in the cracks. I let it sit a night or two and then went back over the painted areas with alcohol / naphtha to wipe it off of the surrounding surfaces. It doesn't fill the gap but at least takes care of the unsightly white lines through the blacks. Pic is part of the way through, and shows the difference between finished and unfinished areas.

i'll probably give it a try. when i first looked at the machine, it looked like the crackling/planking was just from mylar residue, which some of it probably is. i'll have a better idea how bad it is after cleaning the playfield up.
did you use thinned out enamel paint? i used enamel on my deadly weapon and it turned out pretty good. did you put new mylar over it? i was thinking about it, but figure if i keep it clean and waxed, it should be okay.
as for color matching, i just mixed it and tested it until it got something good.

#9 11 years ago

started work on it tonight. removed all of the plastics and rubbers for the lower half of the playfield. only had one magic eraser which got tore up pretty quick, so i'll have to pick up more before moving on. the alcohol/ME worked really well for getting the bulk of the mylar goo off. goo gone worked really well for getting the last of the residue out as well.

i also noticed that my plunger is different that others i've seen. instead of having a plastic tip, it has a blunted metal end on it. anyone know about these and if they have any issue? i'm worried it would cause my balls to get pitted a lot quicker.

IMG_1582.JPGIMG_1582.JPG

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Thanks! btw...Pic doesn't show it but the little windows of people and the largest planet have the slow color changing bulbs in them.

i'm planning to re-do the GI lights with LEDs to see if i like how it looks. maybe down the road work on replacing the rest.
probably just get a new shooter tip from pinballlife. need to get new flippers too.

#19 11 years ago

anyone have any tips for getting the dried mylar goop off the inserts? the 'shoot again' insert in the last picture of my first post shows what i've talking about. can't get it off with magic eraser and alcohol. was able to scrape it off with a screw driver, but don't like the idea of doing it for all of them.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

2,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

3,152 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pulaski, PA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fargo, ND
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Twisted Tokens

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Kingston, OK
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Dommer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbot-restoration-questions-tilt-issue?tu=Dommer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.