Pinbot Randomly Reboots

By sethbenjamin

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Hey all, apologies in advance if this is a common topic.
My PinBot won't play. Start up a game, it may play for a while but then the flippers die and the System-11 *BOOP* noise sounds, as though the power were interrupted. It seems to have gotten worse; I tried it out an hour ago and it would reset while sitting in attract mode.

I know the battery board connection is a common problem, but it looks really clean. Do I need to re-solder all the ribbon connectors? (Oy vey...)

Grateful as always for advice.

- Benjamin

#2 9 years ago

There are troubleshooting steps on pinwiki. If that doesn't help there are good techs who can repair your boards for less than the cost of a new one. Resoldering all the pins is way too much until you know what the issue is.

It does sound like a power issue though. Pinwiki will have info on testing the power supply. You'll want to test before and after an incident.

#3 9 years ago

Ben, by any chance is your game using an extension cord to get to the outlet? If so, try moving your game closer to the outlet so you don't have to use one and see if that helps first. Then, if the problem is still there, troubleshoot the game.

Steve

#4 9 years ago

Thanks, Cheddar...what search terms would you use? "System 11 reboot" or "System 11 reboot problems" isn't getting me any results, but I might just not know how to phrase the search query.

#5 9 years ago

Steve - nah, it's plugged right into an outlet. I'm guessing that this is actually something relatively simple, but I'm too much a novice at electronic repairs to have any insight on my own...

#6 9 years ago

See "3c. When thing don't work: Game Resets/Boot-Up Problems, and Immediate Blowing Fuses."
http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/wms11/index2.htm#reset

#7 9 years ago

Many times on System 11 games this is a bad diode. Is it happening when the ball is at a certain spot on the playfield? Can you narrow it down to a single target? Could be a bad diode. These cost like 20 cents you can replace them pretty indiscriminately if you think you know where the issue is.

Could also be a slam tilt switch but I don't think that causes a total reboot, just a reset.

Also try turning off your air conditioner or moving to a different circuit. You may just have low power.

#8 9 years ago

Bummer, I had the same issue show up on one of my route games years ago, it took me a little time to figure out what had happened because the symptoms were random. Turns out that the manager of the bar had moved my game and used a cheap extension cord to connect it back up. The cord was choking the game out but I didn't see the cord initially when I went in to fix it. So, when ever I hear of resets, I always think of cords first.

Steve

#9 9 years ago

Here's the Game Resets section on pinwiki http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_System_9_-_11#Game_resets

You're going to start with reseating all your connectors. While doing this look for anything burnt. If this doesn't fix it then make sure all your chips are firmly seated by pressing down on them. If any of them go back in then that might of been your problem.

After this is gets into electronics testing. Search for Pinbot game reset or system 11 game reset and see if you can isolate it to the power supply or mpu.

Good luck

2 months later
#11 9 years ago

Resution: sent boards to Coin op Cauldron. Everything's working now, and lots of new parts added. Worth the money for sure.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Twisted Tokens

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

3,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Clovis, CA
3,152 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pulaski, PA
4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Kingston, OK
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbot-randomly-reboots and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.