(Topic ID: 199274)

Pinbot ramp UP firing constantly - switches not registering?

By Plumonium

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4123 (resized).JPG
IMG_6571 (resized).JPG
IMG_6570 (resized).JPG
IMG_6569 (resized).png
a81e5ea6981f47812dc9855026cd4aa1e70fa2c1 (resized).jpg
506ebe84f1390f9081710231a659c300d7db7bd2 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pic7 (resized).jpg
untitled (resized).JPG
IMG_6567 (resized).JPG
IMG_6562 (resized).JPG
IMG_6557 (resized).JPG
IMG_6560 (resized).JPG
IMG_6558 (resized).JPG
IMG_6551 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider grumpy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 6 years ago

How about a bigger pic of the relay so I can see the wires.

#5 6 years ago

I am not aware of Pinbot using snubber relays on coils like HS and F-14. I also don't see this marked in the manual, but that doesn't mean anything. I may look at my own game tomorrow to compare with your pic of yours.

#8 6 years ago

This is a A/C relay. So this relay switches power from the flashers to the coil. The ramp up is solenoid 5a which has power turned on and off by this relay. If your switch for the ramp is not working correctly the ramp will try to fire each time the A/C relay switches.

#9 6 years ago

What are the markings for the cap you installed?

#15 6 years ago

That relay will work fine. I wanted to look at my relays in my Pinbot just to be sure, and none of them have the capacitor installed on the board. I would assume you may have gotten a bad capacitor as it looks to be installed correctly. There shouldn't be more than 32 volts on it and it is rated for 100 volts so that shouldn't be a problem. I would just remove it.

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Thats interesting, can someone who understands these better than me explain how you can have +28 tied to ground? Im always trying to learn more and this confuses me.

When Williams used this relay board as a snubber relay this ( GND ) spot is actually connected to ground. But in reality this is the Common terminal of the relay connections. When Williams used the same board for the AC relay they solder splashed the +28 volt terminal to the GRD terminal and connected orange wires ( c side power) to the coil terminal. This is labeled coil because as a snubber relay it connects to the coil but in reality it is the NO terminal. The NC terminal is one of the few that is labeled correctly. The brown wire is the a side power wire. The DRV terminal is for activating the relay and is connected to the CPU board. To test the relay you can ground this terminal and the relay should activate if it good. So long story short this is wired correctly.

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from Plumonium:

Do you have the 150 ohms resistor installed as well at R1?

No my machine has the version with no cap and no resistor. Ignore my earlier post my head was up my ass.

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from Plumonium:

I replaced the 100uf capacitor on that board during my restoration because it looked bulged and figured I should do it while the playfield was out of the game. The thing is my replacement was already bulged and leaking from running a few tests. I bought a new capacitor today and same thing, just leaving the game on for 5 minutes and the capacitor started leaking and got super hot. I could hear and see the gas bubbles coming out of the top. May be it's not related but it does not look good. I'm confident the capacitor is installed with correct polarity.

Could these caps be from the same manufacture batch and had the shrink sleeve installed wrong causing you to install them incorrectly? This can be avoided by using axial caps on this board.

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from Plumonium:

Can I test the polarity of the capacitor before installed them?

Yes with a Oscope. You may also be able to check resistance from the metal top to one of leads. The metal case should be negative.

#28 6 years ago

All 3 on my Pinbot are just like this.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#30 6 years ago

Nice catch wayout440 they are reversed for the snubber board labeling. As an A/C relay everything is ass backward. Also as a A/C relay none of this needed anyway.

#37 6 years ago
Quoted from Plumonium:

If that is it, I can't believe I had the game working rigged like that for 2 years.

This was a problem but this is not the answer to your ramp issue. I think you need to adjust the ramp release and possibly adjust the down switch.

#39 6 years ago
Quoted from Plumonium:

From time to time, in test mode, the "Ramp Down" switch and the "Energy Value" stand-up target won't register. Sometimes they do.

Since both switches are on green/blue wire and both switches have 2 wires for green and white it cant be a broken wire or something else wouldn't work. So whats left, bad diode, dirty switch, out of adjustment or a poor solder connection at the switch.

It only takes a few minutes, I would replace both diodes and adjust both switches.

#49 6 years ago
Quoted from Plumonium:

During my restoration, one of the wire broke off from the motor stop switch. I looked at my pictures and put the wire back on. But let's pretend for a minute I hooked the wire at the wrong place.

Well then take a pic of it.

#50 6 years ago
Quoted from Plumonium:

Does that theory hold the road? I need to verify that tonight...

They are all on the same switch column, so this is very possible.

#53 6 years ago

In first pic the green/blue should be solder together.

In the second pic you need to have the clear tubing over the diode leads for insulation.

In your last pic you need to remove the top green/blue wire and put it with the bottom green/blue wire and slide the clear tubing down over the diode.

This should clear your problems.

#55 6 years ago

Playball!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

3,152 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pulaski, PA
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

2,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
Lighting - Backbox
Twisted Tokens

3,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Clovis, CA
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fargo, ND
$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider grumpy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbot-ramp-up-firing-constantly-at-game-start?tu=grumpy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.