Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Croppie1Kenobi
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Hey guys, I've got a Pinbot with a broken ramp flap. I need to rivet the new metal flap I made to the plastic ramp. Anyone know what size? Thanks!

#2 6 years ago

They are 1/8" diameter nickel-plated brass semi-tubular rivets. The length will vary depending on the application and I can't speak specifically to your case. Pinrestore.com has a kit with various sizes or you may be able to find them at your local Ace. Hanson rivet is also a good source.

Measure the thickness of the ramp flap, ramp plastic and washer, then add a maximum of .062" for the clinch allowance (where the rivet rolls over when you press it).

#3 6 years ago

I appreciate it, Terry. Thanks!

4 years later
#4 2 years ago

Great info. Follow up question. What is the best method to remove the old and install the new?

#5 2 years ago

There are two methods I use to remove rivets. You can try to drill from the bottom side with a 1/8" bit until the "rolled over" portion of the rivets comes off...or you can use a Dremel with a cut-off disk to grind the rolled over portion of the rivet down flush to the washer. Sometimes when you try to drill them, they will spin and in that case you would need to go to option two with the Dremel. Whichever way you use, understand that a lot of heat is built up when drilling or grinding that can easily melt the plastic. Best to go slowly and alternate back and forth and let them cool down occasionally. If after you have drilled or ground them, you may need to use a small punch to pop them out. To avoid damaging the ramp when you do this, you need to support the plastic around the rivet head. I use a 1/4" socket on a short extension pointed upwards and held in my vice. I hold the ramp and position the rivet head in the 1/4" socket, then tap out with the punch.

To install the new ones you need either a rivet punch press or a hand held rivet roll over punch.

#6 2 years ago

Thank you Freeplay40. Love this community.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside