• Latest reply 3 years ago by Larrymc
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pinbot Transformer Schematic 2 (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

Hello - Pinbot blew the solenoid power fuse between between the transformer and bridge rectifier (my thanks to the person who added the fuses!!). Blew a second one immediately, so I figured a bad bridge. To make a long story short, I found that one of the ac legs is tied to ground, for both the 26 and 13.5 volt supplies. That’s with everything disconnected to rule out the rectifiers, etc; it’s coming out of 6P1 that way. According to schematic that’s not right. Just wondering if this is correct, a common mod for some reason, or maybe my transformer’s gone bad, and if I need to chase this as an issue.

#2 3 years ago

No, I’m pretty sure those secondary windings (13.5VAC and 26VAC) have no connection to ground. My guess is when the bridge went out the fuse didn’t blow fast enough (slow blows can pass a lot of current for a short period of tome) and shorted some of your secondary windings. Was it a slow or fast blow fuse that they installed? Is your primary line fuse in the power inlet box properly sized?

1 week later
#3 3 years ago

Thanks. I finally got back to this today. I'm pretty confused about the secondary voltages related to ground. They're all over the place. However, all the voltages measured for all the secondaries (without regard to ground) are pretty good.

However, once I connect the bridge up with its negative output to ground again, the AC input voltage to the bridge shoots up from the normal ~26 VAC to ~41 VAC. Then the fuse blows again. (By the way, the original bridge tests fine out of circuit. I'm guessing that the high AC voltage leads to the fuse blowing. Hopefully that's all that's blown from there up, and more in the power supply isn't fried.)

I'm pretty stumped, and any ideas for further troubleshooting would be much appreciated. I hate to spring for a new transformer as my next troubleshooting step!

Pinbot Transformer Schematic 2 (resized).jpgPinbot Transformer Schematic 2 (resized).jpg
#4 3 years ago

You can't measure ac voltages to ground. you'll get screwy readings you must read voltages between the terminals.
example; 7P2 reading voltage between 1 and 2 should be 88.5 volts ac 3 and 5 should read 9.7 volts ac

#5 3 years ago

Thanks. I’ve got a lot to learn about the AC side!

So I tested the primaries and all the secondaries and found no (DC) connection between any of them or to the frame, and the secondary voltages are correct (ignoring the weird references to ground that I don’t understand). The transformer is fine.

I worked my way slowly from the transformer, through new bridge rectifiers and cleaned-up connections, to the power supply board. With the solenoid power output connectors from the PS board disconnected, I have about 35 VDC with no load and no fuse-blowing.

However, once I plug the solenoid connector into 3J3, the voltage drops to 25 VDC. (No fuse blew yet though.)

I’m guessing that there shouldn’t be such a voltage drop with the machine just sitting in attract mode, so I’m going to continue working down from there. OR... Does that voltage drop sound right? Should it be about 25 VDC going to the solenoids, or something closer to 34 VDC? The schematic doesn’t mention voltage under load (and I don’t know if there should be a load or what it might be), just that it should be about 34.5 VDC unloaded.

Thanks for any help!

#6 3 years ago

After lots of searching and reading, I’m 90% convinced that ~25 VDC is correct for the solenoids. Everything seems OK now. This has been a great learning experience; even the wild goose chases regarding the AC voltages and chasing down the solenoid voltages were educational. I’m still not sure what the original problem was as the old bridge tested ok on the bench, but hey, it’s working now with new bridges so that’s what I’m assuming was the root cause.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

3,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Clovis, CA
3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fargo, ND
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Kingston, OK
Lighting - Backbox
Twisted Tokens

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

3,152 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pulaski, PA
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbot-power-problem- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.