Pinbot pop bumper problem

By Croppie1Kenobi

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

I have everything working on my Pinbot except for the top jet bumper. Everything else on the game is perfect. Game asks me to adjust switch on the bumper but all looks ok there at the switch. I replaced the solenoid just because but nothing. Any help would be appreciated.

#2 4 years ago

Does it work in test mode? If so then the switch or the spoon or both need adjustment.

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from Buzz:

Does it work in test mode?

What are the results of testing both the switch and the coil in their respective test modes?

#4 4 years ago
#5 4 years ago

Update what I did today. I cleaned the switch. On edges test I get nothing. I tracked the wires down. When I close the switch Continuity all good. Checked at the connectors under the playfield continuity all good. Checked out the connector at the board continuity still good. So, something on the board? I kind of doubt it because everything else works perfectly. Also if this helps the game was alerting to that switch before I cleaned it “adjust switch” at start up. After cleaning that went away but still doesn’t work. Thanks for all the help.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from Gogojohnnyquack:

What are the results of testing both the switch and the coil in their respective test modes?

I get nothing from the switch or the coil

#7 4 years ago

Does the coil work in test?
does the switch have a cap on it?

#8 4 years ago

i no longer have my Pinbot but the last thing i did before it left was to fix a dead top pop bumper.

Not sure which switch the game was telling you to adjust on startup - there is switch that the spoon closes when the ball hits the skirt and the scoring switch that closes when the coil pulls in. My guess is that switch hasn't been seen by the MPU in a while (since pop bumper is not firing) and when you were cleaning you manually closed it which will for the time being get rid of that message.

Anyway - this coil is part of the special solenoid section on the MPU (top corner near the relay). Q78 and Q79 are the associated drive and pre-drive transistors, and further upstream are some resistors (not likely bad) and a Zener diode at ZR-7. U50 is a 7402 chip that circuit. I am no expert but learned a lot from Grumpy which is detailed in the link below. Perhaps it can help you as well.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system11a-special-solenoid-issue#post-4946299

#9 4 years ago

Thank you so much @completist!

#10 4 years ago

Update. I have been in talks with a few people and wanted to pass on what I learned. First, the testing. I was told from one individual “When it comes to special solenoids how i test is i take a jumper and test the circuit 1st to see if the bumper pulls in in coil test. If it doesnt. I use a jumper and touch the metal tab of the transistor with a chassis ground. If it still dont move its a open circuit to the coil. If the ground jumper pulls in the coil then i go into the 7402 and the 4401 or tip 122.” So I did this and got the bumper to work when grounding the transistor. Was told to pull chip at U50. Found a bent pin! Now, need to know where to get the correct chip to replace the broken one.

#11 4 years ago

Final update and fixed! Sn7402n Is what you want if anyone needs this info for the future. Big thanks to Mikehabel for all the help. Check out his boards on eBay.

2 years later
#12 2 years ago
Quoted from Croppie1Kenobi:

Final update and fixed! Sn7402n Is what you want if anyone needs this info for the future. Big thanks to Mikehabel for all the help. Check out his boards on eBay.
//<![CDATA[
window.__mirage2 = {petok:"c6abfa78a440a5dd717c67f05cca5b323ab6f48b-1627076756-1800"};
//]]>

That fixed my issue too. Thanks for the information!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
3,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Clovis, CA
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

3,152 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pulaski, PA
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Kingston, OK
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Lighting - Backbox
Twisted Tokens

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fargo, ND
$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbot-pop-bumper-problem-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.