(Topic ID: 272866)

Pinbot playfield with some mylar already removed, what are my options?

By HydrogenHuman

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Which option should I go with?”

• Option #1 1 vote
    14%
  • Option #2 0 votes
  • Option #3 4 votes
    57%
  • Option #4 2 votes
    29%
  • Option #5 0 votes

(7 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pinbot4.jpg
pinbot3.jpg
pinbot01.jpg
pinbot2.jpg
#1 3 years ago

So last night I purchased a Pinbot Playfield (it will be shipped out tomorrow) in the hopes that maybe this could be put into a Pinbot machine that had a beaten up playfield. However, this playfield has some of the mylar already removed, isn't in the best shape but is okay, and I wasn't sure how to proceed as someone totally new to restoration and playfield evaluation.

So I'd like to hear what would be my best course of action with this playfield. So far I'm thinking of several possible options:

1. Clean up the playfield, keep the remaining mylar on, and wax the entire playfield to protect the paint.

2. Clean up the playfield, remove ALL of the mylar, and then wax the playfield to protect the paint. Repeat as necessary.

3. Clean up the Playfield, remove all of the mylar, and go through the process of purchasing and installing a hardtop.

4. Clean up the Playfield, remove all of the mylar, and go through the process of clearcoating.

5. Re-Sell the playfield and don't even bother.

I know I may have made a bad/pointless purchase, but maybe not. It could be a helpful learning experience with restoration.
pinbot01.jpgpinbot01.jpgpinbot2.jpgpinbot2.jpgpinbot3.jpgpinbot3.jpgpinbot4.jpgpinbot4.jpg

#2 3 years ago
Quoted from HydrogenHuman:

So last night I purchased a Pinbot Playfield (it will be shipped out tomorrow) in the hopes that maybe this could be put into a Pinbot machine that had a beaten up playfield. However, this playfield has some of the mylar already removed, isn't in the best shape but is okay, and I wasn't sure how to proceed as someone totally new to restoration and playfield evaluation.
So I'd like to hear what would be my best course of action with this playfield. So far I'm thinking of several possible options:
1. Clean up the playfield, keep the remaining mylar on, and wax the entire playfield to protect the paint.
2. Clean up the playfield, remove ALL of the mylar, and then wax the playfield to protect the paint. Repeat as necessary.
3. Clean up the Playfield, remove all of the mylar, and go through the process of purchasing and installing a hardtop.
4. Clean up the Playfield, remove all of the mylar, and go through the process of clearcoating.
5. Re-Sell the playfield and don't even bother.
I know I may have made a bad/pointless purchase, but maybe not. It could be a helpful learning experience with restoration.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That playfield looks like shit in my opinion, but I’m not all that familiar with Pin•bots
Pretty sure they usually have pretty bad wear so this could upgrade a game from blown out to players condition. You could hardtop it. Never used one so no opinion yet

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

That playfield looks like shit in my opinion, but I’m not all that familiar with Pin•bots
Pretty sure they usually have pretty bad wear so this could upgrade a game from blown out to players condition. You could hardtop it. Never used one so no opinion yet

I know I'd have to clean and then sand all of the artwork off of the playfield to hard top. Is it mandatory to clearcoat when putting on a hard top as well?

The bigger challenge will be finding a good deal on a Pinbot that has a terrible playfield, but everything else looks decent.

#4 3 years ago

I know I'd have to clean and then sand all of the artwork off of the playfield to hard top. Is it mandatory to clearcoat when putting on a hard top as well?
The bigger challenge will be finding a good deal on a Pinbot that has a terrible playfield, but everything else looks decent.

You don’t clear coat a hardtop. It’s a playfield protector with the artwork on the bottom, so the ball doesn’t roll on the artwork.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

You don’t clear coat a hardtop. It’s a playfield protector with the artwork on the bottom, so the ball doesn’t roll on the artwork.

That's what I figured. I have no idea why I saw some people on youtube clearcoating the wood before applying the hardtop. Unless I was mistaken. If I don't have to clearcoat though then installing a hardtop is looking more like a good option!

#6 3 years ago

That's what I figured. I have no idea why I saw some people on youtube clearcoating the wood before applying the hardtop. Unless I was mistaken. If I don't have to clearcoat though then installing a hardtop is looking more like a good option!

They’re probably talking about the fact that after sanding off the artwork some people clear coat the inserts. Read the articles on installation.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

They’re probably talking about the fact that after sanding off the artwork some people clear coat the inserts. Read the articles on installation.

Ah yes, you're right. That was it.

For the clear coating...can I use like aerosol can clear coat from krylon? Or would that be a huge faux pas from the community using it?

#8 3 years ago

If you were closer, I would totally take it off your hands, if it was cheap enough I have thought about putting a hardtop on my pinbot. I think it would be easier if I could hard top a playfield and then swap over to it.

I think you should clean it up and see what kind of work it needs. Are you set up to spray? You could do a practice clear coat on it and turn it into wall art.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from zimjoe:

If you were closer, I would totally take it off your hands, if it was cheap enough I have thought about putting a hardtop on my pinbot. I think it would be easier if I could hard top a playfield and then swap over to it.
I think you should clean it up and see what kind of work it needs. Are you set up to spray? You could do a practice clear coat on it and turn it into wall art.

I'll definitely be cleaning it up first thing and then assessing the condition from there. I'm not really setup to spray currently as I don't have the necessary tools yet, and if I were to do a spray it would likely have to be out in the backyard in one of the tent garages.

And I agree that I would think it would be easier to just do the hardtop on an already removed playfield. The person who sold me this playfield was actually going to turn it into wall art.

#10 3 years ago

FYI: Pinbot just listed by the96stang in CT, not too far away.

Didn’t inspect the pictures closely but may be worth a look.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/99136

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from pincity:

FYI: Pinbot just listed by the96stang in CT, not too far away.
Didn’t inspect the pictures closely but may be worth a look.
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/99136

I have talked with him previously about it. Too far out of my budget, unfortunately.

#12 3 years ago

I have talked with him previously about it. Too far out of my budget, unfortunately.

Ahh, too bad Well, if there's anything I've learned so far, the machine you're looking for WILL come up, it just may take a bit though. Good luck!

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from pincity:

Ahh, too bad Well, if there's anything I've learned so far, the machine you're looking for WILL come up, it just may take a bit though. Good luck!

This is very true! In the meantime I'll be taking a look at the playfield.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

3,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Clovis, CA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Kingston, OK
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Lighting - Backbox
Twisted Tokens

3,152 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pulaski, PA
$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbot-playfield-with-some-mylar-already-removed-what-are-my-options?hl=hydrogenhuman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.