You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20200726_135807 (resized).jpg
IMG_9345 (resized).JPG
IMG_9341 (resized).JPG
IMG_9340 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sixleggeddog.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

I bought an NVRAM chip for pinbot a while ago and just got around to putting it in. I removed the batteries from the battery pack (but didnt unsolder or remove the pack itself yet). Then, I unsoldered the U25 chip and soldered in the socket. I then plugged in the NVRAM chip and put the board back in Pinbot. When I turn Pinbot on now, the lights turn on, but the cpu is locked up (game doesn't boot, nothing on the displays, etc.). I checked that the board is getting the correct voltage (and it is). I also checked and made sure that the chip was getting continuity to the correct locations on the board at each pin. The game was working perfectly before I installed the chip, so not sure what went wrong. Anyone have any thoughts?

Appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Bill

#4 3 years ago

Thank you both for your replies!

Quoted from Billc479:

Is the chip oriented correctly?

The chip is oriented correctly.

Quoted from ChrisHibler:

It is not a coincidence that the game ceased working after NVRAM install.
You can install the original RAM to ensure the issue is not with the NVRAM module itself (unlikely).
It is more probable that a trace was damaged or a solder bridge was created.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.ChrisHiblerPinball.com/Contact ... for board repairs
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

I checked to make sure there were no solder bridges created, and checked for continuity at each leg of the chip so I know that none of the traces were damaged.

Unfortunately, I cut each leg of the chip to make the unsoldering easier (made it easier to not damage any traces pulling the whole chip out) so I can't just plug it into the socket. I guess I might have to buy a replacement U25 then just to make sure it's not the NVRAM itself.

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from Startek2:

first off, post a pic of the nvram you have.....also you could order the old memory chip just to verify your socket is good....also what processor do you have? then we'll go from there...

Here's a picture of the NVRAM. Not sure what you mean by what processor I have - all of the boards in the machine are original.

Ordering the old memory chip might be the next step.

Also, I was checking continuity between each pin to make sure that I don't have a solder bridge (even though visually it seems clear that there are none.

I am getting continuity between pins 6, 7, and 8, 17 and also between 9 and 10. It really doesn't look like there are any bridges though. Anyone know if this is normal? Otherwise I might have to unsolder the socket completely and then check for continuity between these pins with the socket out. Then resolder the socket back in. I am reluctant to do this because the solder joints look good though.

IMG_9340 (resized).JPGIMG_9340 (resized).JPG
#12 3 years ago

Hm, I actually saw this article, but I used the 6116 NVRAM, and pinbot is a system 11a so sounds like I should not have to worry about the jumper.

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Please post a picture of the board at an angle showing underneath the U25 IC socket. There should not be any solder shorts between the pins 6-7 nor 9-10.

Here's a picture of the top and bottom of U 25. Think it's worth removing the socket and resoldering?

IMG_9341 (resized).JPGIMG_9341 (resized).JPGIMG_9345 (resized).JPGIMG_9345 (resized).JPG
#15 3 years ago

Yes. I would remove it, retest pins 6-7 and 9-10 before reinstalling it.

Thanks - bet this is the issue. I'll do that now and report back.

#18 3 years ago

I know these IC sockets have thin legs so it makes it easy for too much solder to flow up the legs if you leave the heat on too long or add too much solder. The wide IC socket frame is likely hiding the solder bridge between pins 6 and 7.

Yup - I believe this is what happened. Desoldered and cleaned it up, and after resoldering the socket and plugging the nvram in - it now boots up! Thanks for your help.

Although - now when I press the start button instead of starting a game up it just displays the rules for Pinbot. Hoping that it shouldn't be too hard to figure out though. Might just be a setting or something... I'll have to report back.

#23 3 years ago

Did you go in the settings and set for free play or add credits to the game?
Default game setting is set for the player to add credits after changing batteries or adding NVRAM.

Yup - just came here to post that you just need to set it to free play. Everything is working great. Thank you all for your help!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Kingston, OK
$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

2,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fargo, ND
Lighting - Backbox
Twisted Tokens

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sixleggeddog.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbot-not-booting-after-nvram-installation?tu=sixleggeddog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.