509F46D1-48D8-4A93-9607-B7CCD18A32B8 (resized).jpeg
D208FE20-4872-426A-895A-46E3CEB6850A (resized).jpeg
19629FC2-21F3-4EF3-9D92-F8CC064648A3 (resized).png
C0E17922-4DD1-44B2-B667-2CD28FD43551 (resized).jpeg
E67F8F1D-A36B-49A6-A0AE-E973AFB33A3A (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
Pinbot_Sound-Speech_MPU - Copy (resized).jpg
Pinbot_Sound_Board - Copy (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DumbAss.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#59 1 year ago
Quoted from AlanJ:

I cant ever see CB1 and CB2 doing anything - they remain high all the time. I swapped U42 on the MPU to a known working one and just the same. Im not sure what CB1 and CB2 are supposed to do, but why put them there if theyre not doing anything???

They are used. U42-18 connects to 1J21-12 and U42-19 connects to 1J21-13. Those signals continue to 10J4-12 and 10J4-13. 10J4-12 connects to U12-19 and 10J4-13 connects to U12-18. See images below.

Quoted from AlanJ:

To rule out the sound board PIA being duff - if we disconnect the ribbon cable the CB1 and CB2 lines are still High all the time on the MPU board?

They are pulled up to VCC to prevent floating signals.

01_cpu_u42.jpg01_cpu_u42.jpg

Quoted from AlanJ:

Another odd thing - when the ribbon cable is disconnected from the MPU board, but still connected to the sound card, if you wiggle it (wave it in the air), it sometimes starts some of the background music going. I suspect were picking up static and triggering a signal correctly to the sound card??

Have you tried reversing the ribbon cable (reverse both ends)? Have you tried a new ribbon cable? The signals on the sound board side are also pulled up to VCC to prevent floating signals.

02_snd_u12.jpg02_snd_u12.jpg

Quoted from AlanJ:

So can anyone confirm what the CB1 and CB2 lines are for and how they work on the sound board please?

You need to be more specific. CB1 and CB2 are not specific enough. U42-CB1 connects to U12-CB2. U42-CB2 connects to U13-CB1. So which CB1 and CB2 are you referring to?

CA1 and CB1 are input signals to the PIA. CA2 and CB2 are typically used as output signals from the PIA.

The software on the main board programs the PIA with the appropriate 8-bit data in U42-PB0 to U42-PB7 and then uses U42-CB2 to send the data to the sound board.

When the sound board PIA receives the signal at U12-CB1 it reads the data into U12-PB0 to U12-PB7 and performs the appropriate action. The PIA transfers the 8-bit data to the software on the sound board.

It's likely the sound board sends a "sound complete" signal back to the main board via U12-CB2 to 10J4-12 to 1J21-12 to U42-CB1.

You will likely need to study the schematic a little more for a better understanding.

#62 1 year ago
Quoted from AlanJ:

I have a different sound card - D11297

Quoted from highspeed:

My Pinbot has an OEM board D-11298. That schematic with the U12 is a D-11581. I believe they switched from D-11298 to D-11581 mid-production of the F-14 Tomcat.

You are both correct. I quoted from the much more common System 11A/B/C sound board. I have much more exposure to this board and I gravitate to the more common scenario but this was an incorrect assumption. In my defense it was 1:30am local time for me and I probably should have gone to sleep instead. The main board to sound board interface did not change from the original System 11 release to the final System 11 release. The available signals were fixed when the board was first manufactured. The software protocol might have slightly changed but it's unlikely that it did. There are, in essence, 8 data bits and 6 software related bits and other processor related signals. I do have a spare Pinbot sound board that is still in the shipping box that it arrived in. No time to process it - or even look at it.

Quoted from AlanJ:

So CB1 and CB2 from the Mpu PIA U42 are connected to CB2 and CB1 Pia U2 on the sound card (just like on your sound card schematic). They are not tied high on this sound card. Thanks for explanation of CB1 being input and CB2 being output.

That is probably the reason why Williams added the pullup resistor SIP to the later sound board - to prevent floating signals.

Quoted from AlanJ:

When we probed these signal lines we got nothing out of the mpu pia CB2 - it was perm high. I swapped it with a known working PIA and it is the same.
Have swapped ribbon cable to a known working good one. Even when we disconnect the ribbon cable, so nothing is connected to the output of CB2 U42, it still remained high.

I assume the software only programs the PIA and sound board control signal when in music test. You didn't specify if you were in music test while taking these measurements. I am also not 100% sure but it might be possible that the control signal state is changed faster than your logic probe can detect. An oscilloscope should be able to verify this. I have not done this myself so that is not gospel.

Quoted from AlanJ:

The only other component on CB2 is the resistor/capacitor array that ties that line high - I wonder if they ever fail and keep the line high?

These components are known to fail. The SIPs above U42 are often damaged from alkaline corrosion. Any or all of the five can be damaged. You can measure the resistance as verification. It's a simple test. Be aware though that you are measuring them in circuit.

Quoted from highspeed:

I was also wondering if you get the "bong" on startup? I do not.

This is generated by the reset signal from the main board reaching the sound board, correctly executing software on the sound board, the 1408 DAC, the analog processing, the power amplification and the speaker wiring all working.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

2,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
3,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Clovis, CA
$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Kingston, OK
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Lighting - Backbox
Twisted Tokens

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DumbAss.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbot-no-speech-?tu=DumbAss and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.