Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by erok
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I was working on a Pinbot yesterday, replacing a Pop Bumper transistor, when I gave myself a new problem. I plugged in J16 wrong on the CPU board, and now I have no music. I have sound and Pinbot talks though. But I hear a rustling sound from the speakers otherwise.

I know I have the +12V and -12V on the sound board, but I don't know where else to go here.

Anyone have a list of components I should replace? I'm guessing I blew an op amp or audio amp, but I'm not sure. I don't even know if I popped the sound board or CPU board

#2 10 years ago

Bumping for the evening guys

#3 10 years ago

Any bongs when you turn the machine on? Did you press the sound test button? What happens?

viperrwk

#4 10 years ago

No bongs. I hear 5 or so taps. Very faint in the speaker. Not the game's knocker. Sound test button only gives me one sound. Doing the actual sound tests gives me sounds on every test but number 5.

#5 10 years ago

You get *five* "taps" when you turn the machine on and not four? What happens when you run the sound and music tests?

viperrwk

#6 10 years ago

It's either four or five taps from the speaker, sort of like if you move a speaker wire sometime and it makes a pop sound. It's not the knocker coil doing it. Sound tests through diagnostics I get a sound but Sound 5. Music test gives me nothing at all.

The tapping sound I hear when I turn it on is very faint. If I hadn't been in a completely quiet room I wouldn't have heard it.

#7 10 years ago

Thinking about ordering the 1458 op amps that are on the sound board. If I remember correctly, op amps are easy to screw up, especially if you do like I did and put a plug in wrong. Thoughts?

#8 10 years ago

Ribbon cable. Sounds and music are different cables I believe on sys11

#9 10 years ago

Pinbot is the weirdest of the system 11 as the CPU generates sound and speech, and the remote sound board generates music AND sound AND speech. as far as I know it's the only one to utilize the CVSD speech chip on both boards.

Start with the op amps (the last one in line is OK otherwise you would have no sounds getting to the amps.

Then the 6116 Ram, the eproms and the processor all on the sound board.

#10 10 years ago

Also could be the small ribbon cable as Pinchroma said. see if you have one end flipped 180 degrees. Red stripe on pin 1 on both boards.

#11 10 years ago

Pretty sure I have the ribbon cable in right, but I'll double check. I have a hard time seeing that is the problem if everything worked fine sound/music wise until I plugged in a connector wrong. Going to order some op amps off mouser when I get in from work tonight.

#12 10 years ago

yeah, but the small ribbon cable had to come off from the MPU when you pulled the board. Was assuming you put the cable on wrong when putting the MPU back into the game.

Do you get a bong when you turn on the game? If so then your sound board is booting and just not receiving commands from the MPU.

#13 10 years ago

sorry, just went back to the top of the thread and see the no bongs part. So this likely wouldn't be a ribbon cable problem.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from kbliznick:

sorry, just went back to the top of the thread and see the no bongs part. So this likely wouldn't be a ribbon cable problem.

It's cool. I know that whatever happened was because I plugged in something wrong because I missed a pin on the connector. So I think I had Voltage go to something that wasn't supposed to happen and popped. Which is my guess the op amps.

2 weeks later
#15 10 years ago

Just to tag on to this already discussion on Pin Bot sound issues, mine all the sounds work when first cut on. After about 5 games the speech stops. If you run the sound test after it stops all sounds work except for I think 6 and 7 which I assume should be speech. When cut back on the speech will come back for again 5 or 6 games. Any thoughts?

2 weeks later
#16 10 years ago

For Eroks problem, I fixed this exact issue many years ago. it was the 55536 CVSD chip on the MPU board (U5 or U3 I think). Speech would work for a few games, then get a little distorted and then cut out completely after 30 seconds. Turning game off and on again would fix it for another couple of games. Got the chip from www.arcadechips.com Could also be the 1458 op amps associated with the speech chip.

#17 10 years ago

I ended up just getting a new sound board. If was my mistake, and I felt it was the best way to make it right instead of shipping it off and having to wait on another repair.

I still have the bad board. I'll probably send it off sometime and put it up for sale or something.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from kbliznick:

For Eroks problem, I fixed this exact issue many years ago. it was the 55536 CVSD chip on the MPU board (U5 or U3 I think). Speech would work for a few games, then get a little distorted and then cut out completely after 30 seconds. Turning game off and on again would fix it for another couple of games. Got the chip from http://www.arcadechips.com Could also be the 1458 op amps associated with the speech chip.

Thanks I'll look into that.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
3,152 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pulaski, PA
Lighting - Backbox
Twisted Tokens

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Kingston, OK
3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fargo, ND
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbot-no-music-but-soundvoice-ok and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.