Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by LongJohns
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pinbot2 (resized).jpg
    #1 3 years ago

So I got a Pinbot and I am not getting any music.

Music test - nothing works as I scroll through each effect
    Sound test - all works ok.

One thing, when reading the manual, it states to go to the music test and then switch to Auto-up so that the display shows music off. It never shows music on - it is suppose to?

I have replaced the caps and voltages and have verified that the op amps and PIA are good. Unfortunately I don't have another game I can swap the board to see if it is the sound board or the CPU, but I doubt that there is a problem with the CPU since the other sounds are working, or am I wrong?

#2 3 years ago

Have you checked for cold solder joints at 3J6 on the power supply?

#3 3 years ago
    Quoted from Timmo:

Have you checked for cold solder joints at 3J6 on the power supply?

Yes, and thank you for your suggestion.

Should have also mentioned that I rebuilt the power supply and resoldered all connectors on all boards. This machine was a basket case when I got it (nothing worked). But have it now to the point where it will play, just no background sounds.

I also replaced the ribbon cable between the MPU and the sound board. Also verified that U4 is good using the BIN file from IPDB.

#4 3 years ago

Do you hear a tone when the game boots up? This sound is generated when the sound board boots up or is reset.

If the sound test is working, but the music test is not, then I would suspect the sound board, and the ribbon cable that connects it to the Mpu.

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from uncivil_engineer:

Do you hear a tone when the game boots up? This sound is generated when the sound board boots up or is reset.
    If the sound test is working, but the music test is not, then I would suspect the sound board, and the ribbon cable that connects it to the Mpu.

Yes, I get 2 bongs at startup (I believe this is normal) - ribbon cable is good (I tried a different known good one).

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from LongJohns:

Yes, I get 2 bongs at startup (I believe this is normal) - ribbon cable is good (I tried a different known good one).

2 bongs is not normal. It is indicating an error. There should only be 1 bong if everything is good
    2 bongs indicates a U21 Rom error.

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jmckune:

2 bongs is not normal. It is indicating an error. There should only be 1 bong if everything is good
    2 bongs indicates a U21 Rom error.

Ding! Ding! Ding! I think we have a winner! You are correct, two bongs means the computer on the sound board has a ram error, and it not booting. Hopefully It is just a bad ram chip that is keeping it from booting cleanly.

Pinbot uses a D-11297 sound board. To my knowledge, this board was also used in Millionaire, and F-14. So you may be able to find a used one around. You can also use a fully populated D-11581 board as well.

#8 3 years ago

Probably sound board like others have stated, but check to make sure you don’t have wires touching the speakers. Crazy I know, but I had an issue with mine that would cut the background music in and out if certain wires were touching the speaker in the back box. I haven’t had any issues since.

#9 3 years ago

Hmmm. OK thank you for the replies.

So the sound board in the Pinbot I have is labelled as D-11298-549 - I know the -549 is Pinbot

Should U19 be populated? The manual states that it should be installed can anyone verify?

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from LongJohns:

Hmmm. OK thank you for the replies.
    So the sound board in the Pinbot I have is labelled as D-11298-549 - I know the -549 is Pinbot
    Should U19 be populated? The manual states that it should be installed can anyone verify?

I have found over the years that using the archived pinball machine ads on this site is a great way to check board configurations. From what I have seen, it does not appear that U19 should be populated. Only U4.

pinbot2 (resized).jpgpinbot2 (resized).jpg
    #11 3 years ago

Recommended source for a TMM2016AP-15 (or replacement)?

#12 3 years ago

Hmmm... That is a tough one. Ebay may be your best bet, but try not to buy one from China. Ive gotten a few counterfeit chips from there over the years.

#13 3 years ago

Ok, so the RAM seems to check ok, swapped it with the one from the MPU board - no change, game has 2 bongs at power on, plays as normal but no background music.

Maybe an issue on the MPU board - does anyone know what board is responsible for the music? I assume the sound board since the EPROM label on that board says music.

#14 3 years ago

Yes on SYS 11 games, sound effects are generated from the MPU while music is from the sound board.

1 month later
    #15 3 years ago

I just want to update this in case someone else is having the same issue and does a search.

SOLVED

Looks like the 68B09EP Processor on the sound board was the culprit despite getting the 2 bong (RAM error) startup error. Guess I am now violated the warranty void if removed label. lol

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbot-no-music and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.