Topic Stats

• 519 posts
  • 71 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by skywalker
  • Topic is favorited by 33 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 319 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

2013-10-31 12.56.06.jpg
2013-10-31 12.57.47.jpg
2013-10-31 12.50.36.jpg
2013-10-31 12.50.22.jpg
2013-10-31 12.50.47.jpg
2013-10-31 13.00.48.jpg
2013-10-31 13.00.34.jpg
2013-10-31 13.00.25.jpg
2013-10-31 13.00.14.jpg
2013-10-29 17.58.13.jpg
IMG_0504.jpg
2013-10-23 19.05.41.jpg
2013-10-23 19.26.00-430.jpg
2013-10-23 19.33.19-354.jpg
laser cat 0.gif
2013-10-22 20.24.19.jpg

There are 519 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 11.
#401 6 years ago
Quoted from alb0711:

Vid - where do you get a bag of 100 for $30? I'd like to get one of those bags.
Thx!

I just buy them at the local distributor.

You can get them cheaper than that at the Expo, if you pay cash.

#402 6 years ago

I think I'm stuck paying retail. Only 1 show a year here in Denver, I will have to look closely next time for bulk deals.

Can't wait to see NJGecko's machine up and running!

#403 6 years ago

I shopped out a Pinbot I got a few months back. Luckily the PF was in very good shape so I didn't have to swap the PF. For a pin that doesn't seem to have a huge demand it still holds up for me and I think is the best of the 3 in the Pinbot series (until Dutch Pinball comes out..then that may change )

#404 6 years ago

So far it's quite the adventure, but I also know full well that this one isn't about value. I know I'm never going to get out what I put in, but it's about the experience of seeing what I can do.

Packing up for York now....pinbot will be alone till the weekend!

#405 6 years ago
Quoted from NJGecko:

So far it's quite the adventure, but I also know full well that this one isn't about value. I know I'm never going to get out what I put in, but it's about the experience of seeing what I can do.

Exactly. I'm into my Pin*Bot for WAY more than most people would pay for one, even a restored example. Sometimes, it's not about the money.

#406 6 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Exactly. I'm into my Pin*Bot for WAY more than most people would pay for one, even a restored example. Sometimes, it's not about the money.

I always prefer the restos that are about the love and not the money. When it's about the money some people cut corners to maximize profit. When it's just for the love of the pin it gets what it needs regardless of the end total investment.

#407 6 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I'll be in the same boat on my Firepower. I'll never get my money out of it, but thats not the point!

#408 6 years ago

Little more love today. Really back on the assembly stage now which is fun.
May sound silly, but big satisfaction for me is when I start to get empty parts baggies. And I put the flippers in. Also silly, but now to me it almost feels like a pinball machine. Lots more star posts in, and a few other odds and ends in place. Getting there quickly now.

Got to start dealing with the technical issues now though. Assembly is good, but I've got some switch and GI issues I need to tackle!

2013-10-12 17.48.06.jpg 2013-10-12 17.48.19.jpg 2013-10-12 17.09.33.jpg 2013-10-12 17.47.54.jpg 2013-10-12 17.48.01.jpg
#409 6 years ago
Quoted from NJGecko:

May sound silly, but big satisfaction for me is when I start to get empty parts baggies.

That doesn't sound silly to me, I can't wait to start emptying part baggies. Still have some rounds of touch up, then decals and final clear coat first.

#410 6 years ago

Got to see the "Baby" today. Looks fantastic! Can't wait to play! Great work!!

#411 6 years ago

Are you going to put a piece of mylar on the area were the ball drops from the 2nd level into the right side in lane?

#412 6 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

Are you going to put a piece of mylar on the area were the ball drops from the 2nd level into the right side in lane?

Probably not. I have some mylar spots, but I don't think I'm going to put up enough plays on here to chew it badly. The clearcoat will hopefully stand up well enough.

Quoted from spfxted:

Got to see the "Baby" today. Looks fantastic! Can't wait to play! Great work!!

Thanks for the kind words Ted!

#413 6 years ago

And the fun goes on...
Had some time today, lot of little things done...
Got to break out the new acorn nuts.
Got to see some baggies emptied

Plastics starting to come out and play...

2013-10-13 08.49.14.jpg 2013-10-13 08.48.06.jpg 2013-10-13 08.42.15.jpg 2013-10-13 19.57.05.jpg
#414 6 years ago

Couple more glamour shots

2013-10-13 19.57.41.jpg 2013-10-14 17.15.30.jpg 2013-10-14 17.17.17.jpg 2013-10-14 17.17.40.jpg
#415 6 years ago

Had THREE niggling issues resolved today....posted in separate threads but will recap here for anyone interested...

First is the right side GI being totally out. Traced it from both ends and wound up in the middle. No voltage at the playfield, but voltage at the power supply. Long story short, the fuse for that GI string was flaky. When I buzzed it with the DMM it sounded like a Geiger counter. OK, fuse is easy enough to swap. Poof, GI came back!

While I was at it I figured I might as well test the rest of the fuses. Fuse on the flipper board was giving me the same feedback. Swapped that out. Now I've got flippers

Last thing was the right sling not working. This was, by far, the biggest challenge to me. Fellow pinsider tried helping me on here, but offered to just walk me through a few steps on the phone. Absolutely fantastic! Walked me through testing the coil, testing the switch, etc. Very good job! Narrowed the problem down to something on the board. Either transistors or chip. Fingers were crossed it wasn't a chip since nothing on the system11 boards is socketed...

I took some time and tested out the transistors on the board and sure enough bad TIP. Shorted. Replaced that and yeah, I've got slings now!

2013-10-14 11.33.05.jpg
#416 6 years ago

So now I've got a few more issues I'm working on...and unfortunately stuck waiting for parts...

Machine has a problem kicking the ball into the shooter lane. I need to narrow it down a bit more.

And the ramp isn't raising and lowering properly. Ramp raises, but won't lower. Something with the mechanism. If I disconnect the ramp, the armature won't lower properly.

#417 6 years ago

I love this thread.

#418 6 years ago

NJ Gecko

I read the entire thread tonight and wow I am very impressed. I also got a Pinbot a few weeks ago and have been steadily working on it. Mine was absolutely filthy! Cleaning is taking most of my time. I want to thank you for telling us about your ultrasonic cleaner from HF. I will be getting one tomorrow! I am tired of cleaning hardware by hand. Oh and I love the cat. My cat has no interest in helping - thankfully.

Al

#419 6 years ago

Hi there!

Very nice thread and very nice job! Love threads like this, makes me inspired to work on my own projects. Sometimes it feels a bit upphill but reading this makes me wanna continue asap.

Andy

#420 6 years ago

Thanks for the kind words all. Been slow the last few days. Waiting on some parts.

Spent some time last night working on adjusting some switches though. Out of sight stuff, but pretty important!

#421 6 years ago

Got my parts in...so more parts installed. I'm just waiting on my new vortex ramp decal. Can't install anything else until that comes in. Also got a new visor motor switch in, but didn't have time to break out the soldering iron last night.

Still dealing with some electronic issues though.

2013-10-16 20.38.17.jpg
#422 6 years ago

Still chugging away...
My new vortex decal set should arrive today and that's big for me...that's the part I'm waiting for so I can finally put that back in permanantly which means I can finish reassembling everything on the top end! Which hopefully means that tomorrow I can have this bad boy all back together and focus on troubleshooting.

But it means I can actually roll a ball on the playfield which will be fantastic!

#423 6 years ago

Well....good day! Wife put new decals on the vortex ramp to start the day....
Put that back in its home for the last time!

2013-10-19 11.34.04.jpg 2013-10-19 11.55.30.jpg
#424 6 years ago

Before shot.

And the new decals.

And the cat was thrilled with the packaging they came in.

2013-10-19 10.44.47.jpg 2013-10-19 11.13.12.jpg 2013-10-19 11.08.53.jpg 2013-10-19 11.09.12.jpg
#425 6 years ago

Mini playfield. before/after. Cleaned, new plastics and rubbers

2013-10-19 10.51.55.jpg 2013-10-19 12.07.11.jpg
#426 6 years ago

Rear ramp installed

2013-10-19 12.03.28.jpg
#427 6 years ago

No Pin*Bot would be complete without its center post!

2013-10-19 12.16.45.jpg
#428 6 years ago

Mini playfield installed!

Machine is 95% complete topside! Lots of little adjustments needed still though.

And I'm ticked. One of the visor switches was bad. Ordered a new one, was getting ready to install it today and managed to lose it. It dropped and hasn't been seen since. We tore apart everything....so I had to order a new one. Stupid thing.

So I cant finish the visor yet.
The ramp raise/lower isn't working. And the ball is getting stuck in a bunch of places, and almost every switch needs to be adjusted, but that's mostly normal stuff.

2013-10-19 12.21.58.jpg
#429 6 years ago

Just so the cat wouldn't think she has a monopoly on this thread, I let Ed help out today too.

2013-10-19 08.36.15.jpg
#430 6 years ago

very nice!!thanks for your pics!

#431 6 years ago

We didn't know about Ed !!! How cool !!!
-mof

#432 6 years ago

Ed scares the crap outta me! Have you seen the movie "holes"?

#433 6 years ago
Quoted from Pafasa:

Ed scares the crap outta me! Have you seen the movie "holes"?

Yes, and I always get a laugh out of that. I assure you Ed does not spit venom and in fact he has no teeth. His main source of food is lettuce
But Ed's nails to scare me in that he won't get any closer to PinBot than the glass. I don't think sharp fingernails (or toe nails?) will do well on nice new clearcoat

#434 6 years ago
Quoted from NJGecko:

But Ed's nails to scare me in that he won't get any closer to PinBot than the glass.

Phew! I thought he WAS on the playfield.

#435 6 years ago

The ramp raise/lower was flaky on mine as well, it would sometimes not drop down all of the way. I messed with it for a while and came to realize that you can't overly tighten any of the screws that hold it in place, the mechanism needs to have just the right amount of play to it, but not too much, maybe like 1/8" of wiggle, sorta like the amount you want in your flippers. I found just the right spot for everything, used some blue locktite and it has been fine ever since.

#436 6 years ago
Quoted from NJGecko:

Mini playfield. before/after. Cleaned, new plastics and rubbers

2013-10-19 10.51.55.jpg 1 MB

2013-10-19 12.07.11.jpg 1 MB

I noticed on the mini-playfield you removed one of the rubbers. Mine has a rubber like your before shot connecting the leg to the right middle plastic. I've seen Pinbots with a few different variations of that rubber. Do you know if the way you've set it up now is how it was meant to be?

#437 6 years ago
Quoted from alb0711:

I noticed on the mini-playfield you removed one of the rubbers. Mine has a rubber like your before shot connecting the leg to the right middle plastic. I've seen Pinbots with a few different variations of that rubber. Do you know if the way you've set it up now is how it was meant to be?

I have mine setup with a band from the outer post of the right triangle to the post below it. I've verified it off a few sources and it makes sense as far as guiding the ball to the shooter lane or right inlane.
IMG_0495.jpg

#438 6 years ago

I will check mine tonight, but that's the way I've seen it, but open to other suggestions. I can see how that extra rubber would help, but it just doesn't look like it was supposed to be that way, but who knows...

Worked through some switch issues last night, and hoping to get some more resolved tonight.

For anyone interested, that's in a separate thread
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-pinbotsys-11-service-switch-wiring

Just so you can follow along!

#439 6 years ago
Quoted from NJGecko:

I will check mine tonight, but that's the way I've seen it, but open to other suggestions. I can see how that extra rubber would help, but it just doesn't look like it was supposed to be that way, but who knows...

Yeah it does seem a bit out of place but unless I can get a clear shot of the mini PF off an original flyer I can only go by what's available i.e. IPDB and (strangely enough but it makes sense they would make sure it was right) Pinball Arcade by Farsight Studios.

#440 6 years ago

Well my update...last night i resolved my coin door switch issue and, aside from the visor, all switches are working which is fantastic!

Today I'm supposed to get the final switch in so I can get the visor back together. Then I need to just do some tweaks and off I go!

Still need to resolve the game not waiting to pop a ball into the shooter lane to start a game, but I will work through that.

Thrilled that tonight, if it comes on time, I can get that installed and possibly play me some pinbot!

#441 6 years ago

Wow NJGecko! Great thread! I read the entire thing this morning. I just got my first pin a few weeks ago. Now I want to find a project pin to restore. Looks awesome, keep up the good work.

#442 6 years ago
Quoted from mrramsey:

Wow NJGecko! Great thread! I read the entire thing this morning. I just got my first pin a few weeks ago. Now I want to find a project pin to restore. Looks awesome, keep up the good work.

Thanks...the way I figure, if I can do it, anyone can! Just take your time and have lots of patience.

So far on this restore, I've gotten to the "I want to throw it out the window or give it to the first guy to show up with a truck and a hundred bucks" stage twice, but I walked away and went back to it and it's much better now.

That's, in my opinion, the most important part. If you get frustrated, just walk away for a bit. If you force yourself to work through the frustration you may end up hating your project quickly!

#443 6 years ago

Oh, and as an update, when I was working on the coin door service buttons last night, my supervisor checked in on me.

2013-10-22 20.24.19.jpg
#444 6 years ago

When the cats eyes glowed red like that....that's when the coin door was mysteriously fixed....

#445 6 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

When the cats eyes glowed red like that....that's when the coin door was mysteriously fixed....

Actually she provides backup heat via eyeball lasers if my soldering iron can't cut it.

#446 6 years ago
Quoted from NJGecko:

Actually she provides backup heat via eyeball lasers if my soldering iron can't cut it.

Good plan. Everyone should have a Laser Cat.

I wonder if I could find one on Amazon. That and a ton of Claritin for the allergies that will come with it.

#447 6 years ago
Quoted from Pafasa:

Everyone should have a Laser Cat.

Uh huh!

laser cat 0.gif
#449 6 years ago

Leave it to Ted!!

But I didn't say Rainbow Laser Cat!!

#450 6 years ago

Sorry, I'll look in my RLC (Regular Laser Cat) file....

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 14.50
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 36.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 17.00
5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Waxahachie, TX
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
$ 9.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
2,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Marietta, GA
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
There are 519 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 11.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside