• 3 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 57 days ago by dmcinnes
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 59 days ago

Hello Folks,

I’ve seen a number of Pinbots in the wild and on YouTube and their sound and music has a lot of bass, much more bass than I’m hearing on my own machine. Could this be all due to some problem in the mixer part of the CPU board? Maybe one of the filter caps has gone bad? Any way to test this in-board?

I know at least one of the YouTube models with good bass had the original cabinet speaker, so I don’t believe they all have upgrades.

Music and all sound effects are working fine otherwise. The cabinet speaker looks fine to me and there is sounds coming out of it.

Any thoughts would help, I’d rather not go out and upgrade my speakers if it’s a board problem.

Thanks!

#2 59 days ago

Could be the caps or mixers.
Replace the caps on the background sound board.
The mixing occurs at the 1458 pre-amps. I think there are 2-4 of them depending on which revision of the system 11 sound board is in the game. I see these fail often but they usually completely cut out the sound when they fail.

#3 57 days ago
Quoted from kbliznick:

Could be the caps or mixers.
Replace the caps on the background sound board.
The mixing occurs at the 1458 pre-amps. I think there are 2-4 of them depending on which revision of the system 11 sound board is in the game. I see these fail often but they usually completely cut out the sound when they fail.

Thanks! Good tips.

I did some more tests and the speaker is definitely bad. About 1/2 the sound of the backbox and fuzzy as well. I ordered a new one based on this great thread:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cabinet-speaker-size-and-wiring-williams-system-11

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
1,650 (OBO)
Sale Pending!
Gainesville, GA
$ 14.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 279.95
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
1,600 (Firm)
Sale Pending!
Middletown, PA

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside