View topic image gallery

6.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
3.JPG
2.JPG
1.JPG
#1 9 years ago

For anyone interested I updated the previous mod I made to my PinBot machine. The original mod added a new ramp, extra GI, new rollover switch on upper playfield, and servos over the side drains that dropped (and blocked the drains) when the visor opened.

The updated mod now includes a 16x1 blue backlit LCD display located on the left edge of the playfield between the drop target bank and ramp entrance. Instead of the visor activating the side drain servos, shooting the ramp will now close the drains for 30 seconds. The LCD displays a "Drains Closed" timer showing how much time is left before the drains open back up. Furthermore, if the ramp is shot 2 or more times while the drains are closed and the timer is running, each additional ramp shot will advance a planet.

The LCD is set to display ramp instructions while it is in idle mode and displays the timer once a ramp shot is made. After 30 seconds will return back to idle mode messages (see video).
This can be completely disabled with a switch located under the cabinet, so it’s still possible to play in 'classic mode'.

I used an Arduino UNO microcontroller, along with a relay board and a very simple home-made interface board (see photo). It is all powered by an ac/dc usb charger. The length of time on the timer can be changed by altering the value of one variable in the code, and the Arduino's usb power/data cable is accessible by opening the coin door, so code can be updated without disassembling anything. Relays are connected to the ramp-end rollover switch, the 'advance planet' switch, and the left flipper lane rollover switch so the Arduino can trigger these switches as needed. Cat5/RJ-45 cable with a coupler was used to connect the LCD display to the custom interface board.

Since I already have a switch mounted on the visor mechanism (from the original mod) and there are plenty of unused inputs on the Arduino, I may add a feature that, when the visor opens, all ramp shots advance planet for 20 seconds, or something along those lines, giving an extra timed challenge to make ramp shots when the visor opens.

Pictures are provided below.

The YouTube URL for the video is:

If the embedded link doesn’t play, the video’s YouTube ID is: qFg9n5wQDK0

Here's the forum link to the original mod:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbot-mods

P.S., sorry about the quality of the LCD screen on the video. For some reason my video camera would barely pick up the text on the LCD screen. In person it is a very sharp, vibrant white-on-blue display.

1.JPG1.JPG 2.JPG2.JPG 3.JPG3.JPG 4.JPG4.JPG 5.JPG5.JPG 6.JPG6.JPG
#2 9 years ago

Nice work makes me want to buy my pinbot back.

1 week later
#3 9 years ago

Where did you get the wireframe that carry's the ball from the mini playfield over to the left flipper lane? (I'm new to this thread and also new to owning Pinbot.)

#4 9 years ago

This is a custom made ramp. I used some blue plastic tubing I had lying around and placed copper grounding wire inside to reinforce it. I am not sure what gauge wire it is but it was from a roll of romex electrical wire. The black circular part at the bottom of the ramp that 'catches' the ball is a thicker gauge copper grounding wire with the insulation still intact and bent into the correct shape. To connect the rails together I used plastic mounting brackets that are used to nail romex or coax cable to wood. I removed the nails and glued the brackets to the plastic tubing. The width and arch of the brackets by luck happened to be the perfect size for a pinball. Finally, with some trial-and-error wire-bending I looped the wires around the upper playfield bumper posts.

#5 9 years ago

I'm sure you'll get some flack for modifying how the game plays. But who cares, it's your game and very cool to see how you've customized it to your liking!

#6 9 years ago

Yeah I already have before. But with all of this modding I included a 'classic mode' switch under the cab to disable all of the mods, and the new ramp can be removed in a few minutes so the game can be played with the original rule set as desired. Plus nothing irreversible or damaging was done to the machine.

2 years later
#7 6 years ago

I would like to do the lighting under the clear ramp like your pinbot.... can you share the secret?

2 weeks later
#8 6 years ago
Quoted from metalkatt:

I would like to do the lighting under the clear ramp like your pinbot.... can you share the secret?

If you are referring to the runway lights under the ramp I used a 12V LED strip that has a flashing mechanism built into the strip, so when voltage is applied is strobes/chases by itself. I connected it to a 12V DC source in the cabinet and used a micro cherry switch mounted in such a way that it engages the ramp up/down arm to turn the light strip circuit on and off. I'll snap a picture of it close up and post it here when I get a chance. The flexible light strip has an adhesive strip pre installed on it, so i just adhered it to the metal rail under the ramp. The strip is width is short enough that the ball cannot touch it as long as you mount it flush with the playfield.

As for the color changing GI under the ramp, I simply mounted either a bayonet or wedge (cant remember which) base under the ramp and wired it to the GI circuit somewhere under the playfield. I used a slow fade color changing LED from cointaker.

You'll have to explore ebay for one of these strips. It is something similar to this but in white:

ebay.com link: 2PCS Red 30CM 3528 32Led Knight Rider Flash Strobe Scanner Neon Strip Light DIY

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from MoSeS_1592:

If you are referring to the runway lights under the ramp I used a 12V LED strip that has a flashing mechanism built into the strip, so when voltage is applied is strobes/chases by itself. I connected it to a 12V DC source in the cabinet and used a micro cherry switch mounted in such a way that it engages the ramp up/down arm to turn the light strip circuit on and off. I'll snap a picture of it close up and post it here when I get a chance. The flexible light strip has an adhesive strip pre installed on it, so i just adhered it to the metal rail under the ramp. The strip is width is short enough that the ball cannot touch it as long as you mount it flush with the playfield.
As for the color changing GI under the ramp, I simply mounted either a bayonet or wedge (cant remember which) base under the ramp and wired it to the GI circuit somewhere under the playfield. I used a slow fade color changing LED from cointaker.
You'll have to explore ebay for one of these strips. It is something similar to this but in white:
ebay.com link » 2pcs Red 30cm 3528 32led Knight Rider Flash Strobe Scanner Neon Strip Light Diy

Yes, that sounds great. I would love to do that mod on my pinbot. Thank you.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Backbox
Twisted Tokens

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

3,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Clovis, CA
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Kingston, OK
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,152 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pulaski, PA
$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbot-mod-part-2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.