Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ry%3D400.jpg
IMAG0028.jpg
#1 9 years ago

i am about to get a pinbot with some wear around the maze area, and it has pretty bad flipper rubbing scraps. this solution would only solve one of the two issues regarding wear.

i noticed bay area sells these "Pinbot Decal Maze Overlay Laminated". My guess this is like mylar?

my question is how noticeable would it be if applied? compared to the rest of the playfield?, can it be removed afterwards without ripping up everything underneath it?

i have no experience with overlays. since it's a small piece, should be easy to apply... should...

thanks

IMAG0028.jpgIMAG0028.jpg
#2 9 years ago

That's not a maze, it's Pin*Bot's chest plate.

An overlay will probably look OK, but it will have raised edges that might affect ball movement. Also, a lot of chest plate wear is caused by sunken inserts that allow the ball to crash into the wooden edges of the insert holes. So if that is present, they should be fixed first.

#3 9 years ago

I did one for my pinbot and it came out amazingly.

I cleared the area with some spray clear, added the decal, then cleared a few times over it, feathering out the edges. Search around on here for my old thread. Turned out WAY better than expected and was easy.

Note: my light grid was way worse than yours. You could probably just touch that up, then clear a bit over it.

#5 9 years ago

Well, to tell you the truth, I used a maze overlay but had some problems with it. If I had to do it again, either I needed a different overly - or I would hand paint it.

The typical method is to sand this area level and clear it before installing the decal. The problem with mine was this: The decal has holes where the grid insert lamps are, instead of a continuous clear sheet. After installation you need to fill these holes with clear and level it.

Mine looks ok and the ball no longer rolls over railroad tracks - but methinks it really didn't save me a lot of time in the grand scheme of things.

ry%3D400.jpgry%3D400.jpg

#6 9 years ago

Wayout: I did mine the same way, sanded, cleared, applied.

The ball hops between the cutouts aren't that noticible in my opinion unless the pitch is really low. I think that decal does a great justice on this normailly worn out area.

I thought about roughing up the decal after it was applied and then clearing it as well, but never did it.

OP: just make sure to sand the area first as Wayout stated. It helps level everything and will prevent bubbling. Make sure to clean it really well with naptha after your sanding process though. Then clear it, sand, clear, etc.. THEN the decal.

#7 9 years ago

thanks for all the great info and advice.

how would one go about color matching to touch up? (there are 100's or orange, red etc...)

thanks

Post edited by pinballsteph: added question after search came back negative

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from pinballsteph:

thanks for all the great info and advice.
how would one go about color matching to touch up? (there are 100's or orange, red etc...)
thanks
Post edited by pinballsteph: added question after search came back negative

I think Curbfeeler did a lot of paint touchup in his thread...but I don't think he had to do the grid. You might check it out...
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/curbfeelers-pinbot-restored

1 month later
#9 9 years ago

ordered the laminated overlay... thank you everyone for the great tips.

#10 9 years ago

Don't do it! Your machine looks just fine!!!
--Scott

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Backbox
Twisted Tokens

$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rolla, MO
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Phoenixville, PA
$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.