(Topic ID: 16890)

PINBOT LIGHT GRID OVERLAY: before and after pics!

By Blackbeard

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ghjyt.JPG
rty.JPG
dfgdfg.JPG
#1 11 years ago

Finished applying Classic Arcade's overlay this weekend. Very happy with the results. 2 coats of Krylon's Clear acrylic spray prior to applying. I"m debating clearing over the overlay, but not sure yet. EDIT: Classic Arcades tells me the overlay is protected so that no clearcoat over it is required.

Pre clear coat:

dfgdfg.JPGdfgdfg.JPG

#2 11 years ago

After clearcoat of area:

rty.JPGrty.JPG

#3 11 years ago

After decal application (dry):

ghjyt.JPGghjyt.JPG

#4 11 years ago

Thanks for all the advices from everyone, especially BTrip.

The decal was from Classic Arcades and seems to be printed on the underside. The top is really smooth. My thought is that clear wont adhere too well. I'm going to email classic arcades to get more infor..

#5 11 years ago

Great work..

#6 11 years ago

Nice work. Isn't that a great feeling? Accomplishment and success. Is there anything you would have done differently or anything your not happy with about it? I don't think I would bother clearing over top of it provided it has Mylar over the ink. If it Dosent then you have no choice.

#7 11 years ago

That's one of the best classic arcades products I've seen. Color match is close, the sticker lines up.. how far out does it come? To the outside of the big white area?

#8 11 years ago

@ Pin: I do believe it has mylar overtop, as the surface is really shiny and smooth.

@ John: The decal comes up to the white border but doesn't cover it.. but I cleared all the way up to the white border... that way I was sure the decal was over all clear.

#9 11 years ago

Looks Great!
What a huge improvement.

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

Looks Great!
What a huge improvement.

Im completely happy with it. I was hesitant, but did it anyway.

We'll see how it holds up over time. It's going to be used just in my house, so it should be fine.

#11 11 years ago

That turned out really nice Blackbeard, looks good!

#12 11 years ago

Very nice job! Really made that PF go from a D to an A!

#13 11 years ago

Looks amazing! Great job.

#14 11 years ago

That's looking nice! That's the game that got me hooked on pinball. One of the greats, imho.

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from btrip:

Looks amazing! Great job.

Thanks! I basically used your template verbatim.

I am waiting for a response to my email to jeff at classic arcades about whether that overlay is reverse printed or not.

#16 11 years ago

Nice job! Looks awesome bud!

#17 11 years ago

All that fretting over that! Looks great, but you HAVE to get the color matched post sleeves for the 3 behind the drop bank if nothing else.

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

All that fretting over that! Looks great, but you HAVE to get the color matched post sleeves for the 3 behind the drop bank if nothing else.

Aren't they supposed to be yellow? That's what came in the marco rubber kit.

What color should they be?

#19 11 years ago

Yes, they're "supposed" to be yellow.

I used Cliffy's colored sleeves on mine and liked it a lot. I matched the lane color of the area, so there was one yellow, one red, one orange when the drop target bank came down.

Trying to find the picture, but it's escaping me...

#20 11 years ago

I'm gonna check cliffy's restoration site now..

#21 11 years ago

http://www.passionforpinball.com/colorpost2/benpinbotcolor1.jpg

That, but without everything taken off the playfield, lol.

#22 11 years ago

Those do look cool.

Perhaps next order..

Can't wait to get the boards back and fire her up!

#23 11 years ago

That looks really great. How satisfying!

#24 11 years ago
Quoted from tonymiddendorf:

That looks really great. How satisfying!

It really is satisfying. It looks SOO much better I can't even belief it. I paid $300 for this pinbot and it cleaned up so nicely. I think it was headed to a junkyard, so I kinda saved it.

#25 11 years ago

I just rec'd an email from Jeff at Classic Arcades. He says the grid is already protected so no clear coat over it is necessary.

#26 11 years ago

Great job, looks really nice!

#27 11 years ago

You can't argue with those results!

Great job man.

#28 11 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

I just rec'd an email from Jeff at Classic Arcades. He says the grid is already protected so no clear coat over it is necessary.

Yup, you shouldn't have to clear over an overlay. You'd just be opening the door for more to go wrong. It's basically like having a mylar protector on the playfield. Most games have mylar on the playfield somewhere from the factory.

2 months later
#29 11 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

It really is satisfying. It looks SOO much better I can't even belief it. I paid $300 for this pinbot and it cleaned up so nicely. I think it was headed to a junkyard, so I kinda saved it

CONGRATS Blackbeard - that looks great!! ...the pinball Gods smile on those who save machines from the dump.

#30 11 years ago

Indeed Sunking.

I was a bit nervous in applying the overlay (sanding, spraying with crystal clear spray, etc). But man, that Pinbot turned out super. The cab is beautiful as well. Just a beautiful pin now.

#31 11 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Yes, they're "supposed" to be yellow.
I used Cliffy's colored sleeves on mine and liked it a lot. I matched the lane color of the area, so there was one yellow, one red, one orange when the drop target bank came down.
Trying to find the picture, but it's escaping me...

actually if you look at the flyer there were rings on the outer posts and a yellow sleeve on the center post. It was actually released with all yellows, but I have mine set like the flyer and it makes it just a bit harder to lock the balls since there is more bounce.

#32 11 years ago
Quoted from calvin12:

actually if you look at the flyer there were rings on the outer posts and a yellow sleeve on the center post. It was actually released with all yellows, but I have mine set like the flyer and it makes it just a bit harder to lock the balls since there is more bounce.

Interesting, didn't know that.

I actually used cliffy post sleeves on all of the posts.. I had a really hard time finding the half rubber post by the pops, so I color matched that, as well. I also stretched one over the post between the kick hole and his right eye (left side looking at it). That one I wasn't sure I liked - the ball would catch it since it was a bit bigger on the release. The good thing, it bumps it, pushes it against the wall, and returns to the right flipper. It makes that shot a little harder, and it doesn't seem to make the return any worse.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Lighting - Backbox
Twisted Tokens

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

3,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Clovis, CA
4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Kingston, OK
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

3,152 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pulaski, PA
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fargo, ND
$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbot-light-grid-overlay-before-and-after-pics and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.