You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_5089 (resized).JPG
IMG_1040 (resized).JPG
IMG_1039 (resized).JPG
#1 7 years ago

My PINBOT has had this issue where the left flipper keeps blowing the 5aSB board fuse and melts the white plastic on lane switching switch part. I had the PF cleared/restored and the flippers upgraded (Vid style) over 2 years ago and it hasn't had any issues up until 6 months ago. After the first time this happened I replaced the coil (it had weakened and melted to sleeve inside) and both switches. But after playing again the plastic lane change switch is melted itself to other switch tab again. Here are 2 pics of my current set up and issue. Thanks.

IMG_1039 (resized).JPGIMG_1039 (resized).JPG
IMG_1040 (resized).JPGIMG_1040 (resized).JPG

#2 7 years ago

Those two blue wires on the left switch look really close together. Might be perspective, but with how much insulation is stripped away there, that would bug me if it was in my game. I'd bend the solder end of the leafs away from each other or recut and solder them again so there's no so much exposed wire. No idea if that has anything to do with your issue here though.

#3 7 years ago

Those 2 blue wires actually have a good bit a space in between them.....here's another pic. That other pic is from an off angle. They are as distant as the switch leafs are that came that way.

IMG_5089 (resized).JPGIMG_5089 (resized).JPG

#4 7 years ago

Your problem is the EOS switch contacts. High resistance will drop voltage and make heat. High resistance will also cause higher current flow which can blow fuses.

#5 7 years ago

Ok thanks Grumpy....but I'm not totally following you. These switch contacts are brand new....and the older ones had the same fate. If I am getting high resistance from voltage drops....where from?? If this is a board issue I'll send it out....I just need to get to the root of the cause.

#6 7 years ago

The contacts need to be filed to clean them, they need to be adjusted in such a way as to apply more closing pressure on the contacts but still need to have an 1/8 gap in the hold position. One contact has a stiffener and should not be adjusted the other should be adjusted to add enough pressure to move the contacts a little bit toward the coil against the stiffener. The lane change switch gap is too small and needs to be adjusted. Also make sure the plastic piece of the lane change switch is not stuck to the EOS switch blade as it needs to slide on the blade. You may need to trim the plastic with a razor blade. And since you have the file out you might as well file the cabinet switch contacts to.

#7 7 years ago

Ok do you have a picture of exactly what these contacts need to be adjusted at to be perfectly spaced? I mean these are brand new contact switches I just ordered from Marcos.....how much more clean can they be I'm perplexed by. Thanks much!

#8 7 years ago

They come with an anti rust coating that needs to be removed with acetone before use. I can see gray burning on the contact as if there is a poor connection between the two contacts, remove this with a file. I have no picture for say but I can use your first pic as an example. Start by making sure the screws are tight. Then put the file in between the contacts and apply light pressure to close the contacts while filing them flat and clean. The single blade in your pic needs to be bent towards the coil more. You can see that the blade has an arc to it away from the coil, this causes the contacts not to be square and a poor electrical connection. High current thru poor or loose connections means heat. If you were to remove this switch you would see how little contact they are making. Now besides a square contact there also needs to be a certain amount of pressure holding the contacts together, if this is not enough the flipper will get weaker on a long game. The contact pressure is not preadjusted and needs to be set any time you work your flipper mech. Once you set the pressure then you can check the EOS gap by only pushing on the coil plunger. If you do it any other way your gap will be off by the amount of play in the flipper parts. All lot of the time you need to do this 3 or 4 times to get it correct. As you change the gap it might change the contact area or the contact pressure. Once this switch is done you can do the other stacked switches.

#9 7 years ago

I noticed in the photo that the arm on the flipper pawl that pushes the EOS has a worn portion on the rubber. Not sure if this could cause a short, would pay to replace it in any case.

#10 7 years ago

That is worn but I didn't think anything of it....if that would cause it to over heat the switch enough to melt the lane switch plastic.

I'll give what grumpy said a work through too. Thanks guys.

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from SteveNZ:

has a worn portion on the rubber.

The rubber has been sticking to the hot switch, you can fix this with a piece of heat shrink.

3 weeks later
#12 7 years ago

Ok I have been playing the game for 3 weeks after I took Grumpys advice....I readjusted the switch into a better position so that the contacts had better electrical connections. I assumed the new switch was "plug n play" after soldering it in but it did need adjusting for a better contact. I also fixed the flipper paw with a piece of heat shrink as suggested as well. Thanks for the attention to detail....it was a small issue that I had no idea how to correct. Awesome!

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballerchef:

Ok I have been playing the game for 3 weeks after I took Grumpys advice....

3 weeks later
#14 7 years ago

Ok, tested and with the clip in place the flipper works.

#15 7 years ago

Removed the alligator clip and the flipper is still working. Obviously the eos switch was slightly out of adjustment but looked perfectly fine visually. Weird.

#16 7 years ago

Sorry, wrong thread lol

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fargo, ND
4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Kingston, OK
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Twisted Tokens

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,152 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pulaski, PA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbot-left-flipper-blows-fuse-and-melts-lane-switch-plastic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.