(Topic ID: 141922)

Pinbot keeps blowing fuse after a few games, why?

By Plumonium

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 161 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by GRUMPY
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
image.jpg
WMS_Flasher_Board_Pinbot.jpg
Capture.jpg
untitled.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider plumonium.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

My Pinbot keep blowing fuse F2 (Controlled Solenoids) after playing a few games. I could not put by finger on a specific coil or action to trigger it.

Feels like it can happen at any time. Last time it was at the end of a game (last coil was knocker) other time was in the middle of a game and the first time it was after leaving the game idle for 30 minutes after playing fine for about 30 minutes.

Not sure if it's related but I have no Right Visor GI and during game the lower ramp solenoid seems to have problem as well.

I checked for any hot coil after my last blow fuse and all coils were cold except the right flipper which was mildly hot compare to my left one (slightly warmed). I read someone added capacitors to the flippers EOS (which I don't have) and it fixed his but I have my doubt about this being my problem.

Any expert to help me here?

#2 8 years ago

Any expert on system 11 to help out? Thanks!

#7 8 years ago

Ok, cool.

Yeah I just find out how to stop the solenoid test to stop on a specific coil. I'll try that. Since the fuse is blowing over time. Is that mean that the circuit is getting slightly more amps that it should and over a period of time the fuse gets to fail. Would a bad diode do that instead of a plain simple circuit short?

Keep suggestions coming. Very appreciated!

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Remember that the coils have power all the time. A bad, or reversed diode would usually blow the fuse immediately, and not work for a while first. Usually, anyways.

Ok thanks!

Quoted from wayout440:

Many times a coil problem really isn't the coil - what you think is a coil problem is often something else, a transistor shorted, or even a switch sticking on. Coils are just often not the cause themselves.

I don't suspect the coil itself but because it's the "Controlled" solenoid fuse that is blowing, I suspect it's coming from a "coil mechanism".

Quoted from wayout440:

I'd start with a thorough check of switch diagnostics, also make certain that a pop bumper, sling or other special solenoid isn't getting locked on.

Would that blow the"special" solenoid fuse since it's the circuit that feeds those coils?

Quoted from wayout440:

Also, check the solenoid transistors thoroughly before assuming a coil problem. Just loop through the coil tests repeatedly to get everything up to temp. You might find that the "smoking gun" is a transistor getting smoking hot after it is in operation for a little while.

The transistors should not get super hot you mean? Which transistor should I check in that instance?

Thanks!

#11 8 years ago

The manual says (at least the sticker in the backbox) that there are 2 fuses for the solenoids (F2, switched and controlled solenoids, 4 amp SB) and (F4, special solenoids, 2.5 amp SB)

Me it's the F2 4amp SB that gives out.

#13 8 years ago

Same here, I'm at work. I'll check it out tonight when i get home.

#14 8 years ago

Ok, I let the solenoid test run for each coil 5 to 10 times each. The all worked (except Right Visor GI, does nothing) and the fuse did not blow.

I check my other fuses and found F1 (high voltage) which should be 0.25a SB @250v is instead a 20a SB @32v. I'm going to replace this one but what could it cause as a side effect?

With that being said, what should be the next step?

#16 8 years ago

Ok, I'll try that tonight. I checked the EOS and they seemed fine (gap and connection but I'll double check)

Next time it blows a fuse, what should I check right away? (heat or lack of heat on somewhere?)

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

When rebuilding my Taxi I found my flippers would work for a little bit then blow a fuse and it was a bad diode across a coil.

Which fuse would it blow?

#20 8 years ago

And how long can I let the test run on a single coil before it gets excessive?

#22 8 years ago

That is good insight!

#23 8 years ago

Ok, my problem persist. Checked for loose wire or possible short on switches, checked eos gap, checked for fuses value, ran most coil in test for about 20-25 rep no problem. This time it blew very early in the first game.

What should I look for next? I'm very disappointed. I can't put my finger on what happen exactly when it happens...

#25 8 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

You may need to look for a short on the 34 volt power wire for the coils that are affected.

What wire would that be?

Also, I found a pop bumper lamp wire and a staple touching the pop bumper bracket, would that be bad? I fixed that but got to wait tomorrow when the kid is not sleeping to test out.

#28 8 years ago

Thanks Grumpy, more ammunition! Will check it out tomorrow and report back. Very appreciated!

#29 8 years ago

Wait what, in the schematics page 76 it says F2 2.5 amp and on page 41 (and the backbox sticker) is says 4 amp. F4 says 10 amp page 76 and 2.5 amp page 41.

What to trust? Don't think that's my problem but just noticed it.

#33 8 years ago

I my right visor GI does not work, could it be coming from there?

What is the best way to find a short?

#35 8 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Remove the red wire from the socket

"The socket" you mean the right visor GI flasher lamp socket?

Sorry I'm a noob yet at electrical, I'm not super familiar using a DMM yet as well. Please bare with me and thanks again

#37 8 years ago

Thanks I'll check that as well.

#39 8 years ago

New development. I investigated that visor flasher GI. I found out that the circuit was indeed working, 3 of my led lamps (installed by the previous owner) were dead and the tab on one lamp socket was pried so the solder was touching the other part of the lamp socket which is supposed to be isolated by the rubber/paper bushing...

So, I pried them back so they are free and put things back in place cleanly. I need new lamps.

I suspect the previous owner to have messed with the lamp sockets when installing the led... He was terrible at fixes and mods, you should have seen his solder jobs...

Anyway, played 2 games and was fine but I got to play more. I'll report back.

While I was at it, I looked at my fuse while testing the coils again and I could clearly see it "pulse" pretty hard for certain coil. Is that normal or a sign that the fuse will eventually fail under these condition?

#40 8 years ago

Now up to 4 games without blown fuse...

#42 8 years ago

Backbox says 4a and that is what I'm using. It's the single wire with the solder dot in the middle design type of fuse. Not the coil type.

The fuse does not glow but I can see the wire bend/arc when tests are performed on the circuit.

#43 8 years ago

I tested the current at the flasher GI section and I was at 35.7 or 37.5, can't remember. I believe this should be 34v DC circuit.

#49 8 years ago

The fuse "pulsed" for every coil/solenoid test. Some test more that other.

I did not repin the connectors yet nor removed my power supply board from the backbox to check for cold or cracked joints. Should I?

One thing I found is that the wire strand that hold the 34v from the power supply board to the cabinet has a junction (connector) in the cabinet. This connector was angled and halfway IN. I set it back in properly. Possible cause for blowing a fuse?

I would still see my fuse "pulse" after above so I'm wondering is it changed anything.

Is there a way for me to test if there is indeed "too much" current going through the said fuse?

#51 8 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Connect an ammeter in series. Typically, most better DMMs have this capability. If you don't know how to do it here's a link
http://www.wikihow.com/Measure-Amperage

So I remove the fuse to do check amperage? What should be the appropriate reading considering it's a 4amp fuse that sits there?

#53 8 years ago

How do a determine polarity of the fuse holder? Would connecting the DMM inverse would only give a negative value?

Red test lead on positive?

I do not have alligator test lead. Can I remove the fuse, power the game and apply the test lead one after the other on the fuse holder?

#55 8 years ago

It is F2 that blows for me.

Sorry, what do you mean by: "Just NEVER connect ACROSS a voltage source" ?

#56 8 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

You can just measure continuity back to the input connector 3J1-3

How do I do that ? Sorry again. I'm learning here.

#57 8 years ago

Pinbot manual from IPDB says F4 2.5 amp.

Capture.jpgCapture.jpg

#61 8 years ago

I checked the amperage at the f2 fuse and did not get above around 1.75 amp. I went into test mode and tested each solenoid a few time each. Most of them were around 0.8 to 1 amp, some lower, some higher especially the back box flashers.

In theory that sounds good but if multiple solenoid were firing at the same time, that could be problem?

Also when I checked the amperage and put my lead on the fuse holders, the second lead on the second holder would spark on the initial contact, that is ok?

#64 8 years ago

Oh really! That is good to know. So I need regular incandescent bulbs for those 4 flashers?

The red plastic that covers the eject holes are melted down. Was this done over time or at some point the flasher stayed on too long?

Now I think about it, while playing and having one ball locked, the other side GI flasher would not blink all the time but would stay on for some time. Is that the regular behaviour or those flasher should always blink all the time?

#66 8 years ago

Gotcha. It all makes sense now. I'm going to get #1251 to replace my burnt led and I should be good to go.

I'm up to 7-8 games now on the same fuse, fingers crossed.

Also, I just read that the visor GI was quite solicited during attract mode thus blowing the fuse even when leaving the game idle if that was my problem (short at socket).

#68 8 years ago

Oh you are totally right. It's is not for everyone to do that and as a noob I asked a lot of questions and was still scared as shit to ruin something while doing it.

Hopefully I'm done with the DMM and can just enjoy my game

#71 8 years ago

Update: I still have my problem.

After around 10 games without issues, I reconnected my led strips using the service outlet and also reconnect my topper flashers. I did disconnect my topper during my troubleshooting to isolate the problem and forgot it was off. During my first game with everything back together my fuse blew up.

I asked on another post if my led strip connected to my service outlet might cause issue and general consensus was it was OK and would unlikely blow up my solenoid fuse.

Now I'm suspecting my topper flashers. I checked them and find one of the bulb base broken off. More interestingly, all the bulbs were #67 instead of the #89 recommended. They seems pretty similar. Could it be a problem?

#73 8 years ago

Could it be that all I have no short at all but when multiple coils fires at the same time I suddenly exceeds the 4 amps the fuse it supposed to hold?

Even then, because it's a slo-blow, it would theoretically need to be a constant amp overdrive? Or a significant current peak?

I tested a few coils at the fuse @ 1 to 1.5 amp. Add those to a few flashers and it's recipe for disaster right?

How many coils are allowed to fire on the same circuit at the same time?

#76 8 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Did you correct the type of flasher bulb you are using?

I did not yet so I left if off. The topper is connected with a molex inside the back box head.

But looking at charts, it seems that #67 and #89 are equivalent. I doubt it's my issue unless the broken bulb was shorting something.

Lamp # - Volts - Amps - MCSD - Life - Base
89* - 13.0 - .58 - 6.00 - 750 - S.C. Bayonet (BA15s)
67* - 13.5 - .59 - 4.0 - 5,000 - S.C. Bayonet (BA15s) {1}

#77 8 years ago

But again, I now feel it's an accumulation problem (multiple coils/flashers) firing at the same time than an actual short on something specific. Could it be?

#79 8 years ago

Tonight, I'm going to try to over rate the circuit and put a 5 amp slo-blow using the different design one (coil) see what it does.

#82 8 years ago

Far as I can tell, no fuses are blowing out with the topper flashers removed. Correct?

No blown fuse yet.

#83 8 years ago

Correction, I tried to use either 67 or 89 in the place of the 1251 flashers you mention in the backbox eyes and the visor. That does not work for sure.

Yes, they require #1251 28 volts lamp.

#87 8 years ago

Took off my power supply board, all joints were good. However, I noticed the f2 fuse holders were once replaced. One of the capacitor was also once replaced.

What would that tell you about the fuse holders?

#88 8 years ago

Also, should it take my cpu board off as well to check for cracked joints on connectors or power supply power was what I needed?

#91 8 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

You mention LED s and service outlet and back box flashers and such. Is this stock?

Yeah the game stock except the previous owner put 12v led strip on the shooter lane and left ramp. They must be connected with an AC adapter to the service outlet when the game is played. He also put LED on the 35 volts visor GI flasher which is a no go, those are dead now and will replaced by #1251.

Quoted from CNKay:

Did you start blowing fuses after you did a mod? Or was machine running fine for years then suddenly developed an issue.

I only owned the game for a little while. It seemed to be OK when I got it but never played more than a few games at the time. A few weeks later I blew a fuse and now it's happening always a after few games. May be the seller decided to sell because he started having problem with it...

#92 8 years ago

Yesterday, I tested the amperage at the fuse again. I noticed sometimes my ramp would not go down immediately even if firing flawlessly during test mode. ("lower ramp" coil)

It appears it got amperage spike up to 3 amps when this little tiny coil was firing. It this a normal reading? The reading was varying a lot and my DMM is not very good at quick reading. But I still saw 3 amps on the meter a few times.

#94 8 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Getting illumination power for the LEDs strips are no problem for the service outlet. Are these general illumination on-all-the-time strips, or are they tied in to be triggered by something else?

On all the time GI.

Quoted from wayout440:

That is an SM26-600 coil, resistance spec 4.7 ohms. Using rough calculation ohms law, 35VDC divided by 5 ohms = 7 amps. Spikes are fast so you might not get an acccurate read on the meter. I would just measure the coil resistance for somewhere close to 4.7 ohms.

That much, 7 amps? that's a lot for a 4amp fuse. I know they are slo blow but still. I think I measured the resistance of that coil at around 4.2 ohms, that would mean even more amps.

Should a 4 SB fuse be able to handle an 8 amp spike?

#95 8 years ago

Also, I think I found one of my sun flasher socket wires touching each other. I could see "marks" on the solder where it touched. I fixed that as well and check every other flasher lamp socket wiring on the game.

Have not had the chance to test the game further (play a few games) after that (kid sleeping), we'll report back.

#98 8 years ago

OK. For example, those flasher lamp socket wires touching each other, would that normally cause the fuse to blow right away on single flash? Let's say in test mode. One test= one blown fuse?

#101 8 years ago

This is both very good and very bad advice thanks guys.

#106 8 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

Have you tried disconnecting the coin lockout coil?

Coin lockout coil? First time I hear about this.

#108 8 years ago

I'll definitely check it out.

#109 8 years ago

Don't seem to have coin lockout coils on my Pinbot.

#113 8 years ago
Quoted from castlesteve:

im real familiar with pinbot blowing fuses because of issues with the visor flash lamps.... which they call Visor GI.

Currently I have no lamps in the Visor GI sockets. All 6 are empty. The previous owner put in LEDs which died. I'm waiting on getting new #1251.

Would leaving the socket empty have an impact somewhere?

Quoted from castlesteve:Then fix your board one more time as it probably blew the Tip120 output transistor.

So you think after the trouble I'm having now a transistor might have gone bad? And that I most likely have a board issue that needs fixing?

#114 8 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

Check your coin door for wires that would have been connected to the lockout coil. They may be tied back and able to touch metal during game vibration.
RED and BROWN/GRAY

I will thanks.

#116 8 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

You will know if you have a problem when you install a new bulb, when you turn on the power switch the bulb will light right away. Have you tried a different brand of fuse yet, just as a test?

I tried my game yesterday again, with my topper plugged in and the fuse blew on second game (same 4amp fuse batch that's been failing on me). did not last long... I put on a 5 amp using the coil type fuse design but I played only 1 game with it. I feel those are better. I will report back.

Also, I read that you can put a light bulb in place of the fuse hooked the the fuse holders to see when lots of current goes through. What would be the correct bulb wattage to test this circuit? Any example of setup/lamp style?

#120 8 years ago

The reason I'm asking about the light bulb is that it would be way easier for me to see when and what draw that much current and when it's about to fail. Now I just play the game trying to be attentive to what happen when it fails but I can't put my finger on it.

With the light starting to glow bright I could see what happen when it does.

Make sense?

#121 8 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Sounds like the topper is causing most of your problems, look at the flashlamp boards that connect to the topper flash bulbs for signs of a short.

How to you remove the little board with the 4 ceramics resistor holding by the plastic clips? Do you means those boards?

#123 8 years ago

The white plastic things are screws? Never messed with those before.

#129 8 years ago

I had my pinball party tonight.

I installed a 5amp fuse (instead of 4) and the topper disconnected. Played probably 100 games without issues.

I think I narrowed it down to the topper flashers. Will take a closer look at the board especially the one underneath the PF since the ones inside the back box looked fine.

Will report back.

#131 8 years ago

My visor GI flashers are still empty. Eyes back box are #1251.

#133 8 years ago

Major update, I think I found my problem.

Now fixing it, who knows what value is this resistor?

This one says 332ohms, 10w, 1%. But every other board has a 330omhs, 7w, 10% for this location.

As a side note, one of my other flasher board has this blue round resistor instead of the rectangular one. It looks like it's been replaced before. I guess it is?

image.jpgimage.jpg

Can I just resolder the tip of the resistor to the hanging piece of wire or should I change the resistor altogether. Something tells me I already know your answers.

#135 8 years ago

I'll perform the repair later today. Do you think that was definitely my problem?

#137 8 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

It is one of many problems, but not your fuse problem. Keep looking.

Man! Really??

#139 8 years ago

Yeah, plugged back my topper and still blew a fuse on third game... I'm starting to get discouraged.

#142 8 years ago

To both of you good tips, I'll spend more time around the flashers and boards.

#143 8 years ago

OK, I had to chance to test all my resistors on all 6 flasher boards. (4 under playfield, 2 in back box).

My first question is: Pretty much all 330 omhs resistor tested at around 32.5 ohms. Is this because they are in a circuit? Is this why is says 10% on the resistor?

One 330 ohms I read 330 but this board was only connected with wires on 1 side (opposite side of the resistor)

One 5 omhs resistor I got nothing, either no resistance or no continuity, can't remember, I'm still learning to read my DMM...

The left board in the back box, both the 330 ohms resistors read 164 ohms.

What do you guys make of it?

#145 8 years ago

I had a little time to spend on my Pinbot. I started looking at my flasher bulb socket, checking continuity. I'm wondering, if there is no bulb in a socket, there should not be any continuity between the socket 2 tabs right? What and how should I verify if there is a short on a bulb socket?

Also, is it ok if the socket wire solder touches not only the tab but the socket and the socket holder as well? See picture below
image.jpgimage.jpg

#147 8 years ago

Ok thanks I'll keep looking.

#148 8 years ago

I Ran new tests yesterday. First, with the back of panel open and checking my fuse, I dropped ball after ball inside the vortex to trigger the topper flashers+ PF flashers+ solar energy flashers (jets). I burned the fuse after about 4-5 times doing that. I could clearly see it go in flames.

Now I was going somewhere.

I jumpered my DMM instead of the fuse and ran the same procedure to test the current that was going through the circuit.

I was getting a steady 5.5 amp for the time the topper was ON, probably around 5 sec.

That's it. I'm pretty sure that's the surge I'm was after and the 4 amp fuses I was using could not stand it.

I put in a 5 amp fuse using the coil design type of fuse and so far so good.

I should try getting a 4 amp of the same type to see the result.

#149 8 years ago

For the sake of comparing, would someone with a Pinbot would want to try the same operation, drop ball in vortex and let it bounces in the pops and measure amperage at F2?

That would be very informative.

#152 8 years ago

Mine is one pair on topper, probably one pair on PF and the 4 solar energy flashers while the ball is in the pops during the topper is still going from hitting 100 000.

Do the topper flashers light the same when hitting 100 000 pts?

#153 8 years ago

If I was running LED instead of regular #89 for the topper, would that help for the current running through the circuit?

#156 8 years ago

What type of led you guys would use for the topper which you require omni direction light?

Can you recommend any? Both for directional (solar+sun) and omni (topper and playfield)

#158 8 years ago

Great thanks!

Would you use red flashers for the topper and orange flashers for the solar/sun/PF flashers or simply warm white and leave the insert/caps/topper plastic do the rest? What gives better result?

#160 8 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Everyone has different tastes, I would get a small selection of colors and brightness and see what suits you.

That make sense, however I'm in Canada and shipping and exchange rate makes it difficult to place multiple orders, ust for trying.

I'll start a new post to get people's advice on this topic.

Hopefully that's the end of it. I'll keep posting if something changes.

Thanks a whole bunch you guys, you are great and I really appreciate.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
3,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Clovis, CA
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fargo, ND
$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Kingston, OK
Lighting - Backbox
Twisted Tokens

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider plumonium.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbot-keeps-blowing-f2-fuse-after-a-few-games-why?tu=plumonium and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.