(Topic ID: 134520)

PinBot is it the plunger, the vortex, I dunno?

By Tanooki

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 43 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Vin-bot
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

4794AC40-D249-4B1B-B775-2B7AC48B3E40 (resized).jpeg
shooter.png
#1 8 years ago

I've had this table for a few months now and it's grating on me I can't seem to be able to figure this one out. Now I don't have any pictures, and really if I took them there would be really no way to spot this as it's got to be something miniscule that's off doing this I think. The problem is simple, the solution is not. The vortex is not consistent, ever. Sometimes it fan fly so fast with the glass is off it'll pop off the vortex ramp, other times it'll barely hit the 100000 spot, or it'll kind of bang off before or as it hits the vortex. It's weird.

The observations I have so far basically are as follows:
- If I pull the plunger back and it makes the top with speed, it can fairly consistently do this but not totally consistent to trust it
- If I twist it say a quarter turn (more or less too) in another direction, it won't give the same distance
- I've pulled away the plastics and things, polished it up, it had no effect from wood up through the vortex
- Eyeballing the plunger arm it doesn't appear bent, but it also doesn't feel 100% flush, it has some slight wobble(very slight)
- The table depending where I use the Pinguy iOS app doesn't appear to be level in every single place, off by maybe 0.2?(nothing huge)
- There's no damage in the wood or the vortex plastics, and the plunger has a new rubber tip I installed shortly after getting the table

That's really about it. If someone reminds me of something else I'll throw it in, but that's about all I've got. I have no idea if maybe the plunger arm is off like .1 degrees with a bend or if something in the bracket is looser than needed causing some wobble to distort the ball being launched. The rubbers along the side from there up to the vortex don't appear to be protruding either as it gives a smooth ride. The balls are in fantastic shape so there's no issue there either. I'd rather not wash my hands of the table as I enjoy it when it doesn't feel like throwing a sadist game at me. Sadly today I racked up a high score of 5.7M, but the amount of times the vortex screwed me with the bonus going I think I should have been 1-1.5M higher (lost some 300-500k vortex shots.)

#2 8 years ago

I had a Pinot a while that did the exact same thing. Never really fixed it fully but was able to help it some. Plunger alignment definitely matters and anything but a perfectly square ball contact will hurt your launch. I also found that sometimes the ball would ever so slightly hit the rubbers along the right side and kill momentum.

#3 8 years ago

Well I hope to address it, because if I can't get it to where it's right I'm sadly going to let it go and trade it out for a T2 or Space Shuttle instead as they don't have bitchy vortex issues ruining the big point skill shots. I'd go for a Black Knight but I don't want another sadist ball eater as much as I like that one too. I think it's definitely an alignment problem, but I'll be damned if I can spot it.

IF worst comes to it I know a guy in town I can pay $75 (plus parts if needed) to screw with it and fix it hopefully but obviously nothing is a sure bet. He got my Gold Ball running like a champ last March.

#4 8 years ago

Try a new sleeve in the shooter rod as there may be a bit of free play from a worn sleeve in there, and as has already been stated try some plunger alignment and get the tip plumb in the centre of the ball.

#5 8 years ago

If spinning the shooter rod gives a different result, that seems to indicate that either the plunger rod is bent, the rubber plunger tip is not seated completely or is worn, or the plunger sleeve is worn.

#6 8 years ago

I think it's the hole alignment for which the plunger goes through. Someone hacked up the one I have (though u can't see because it's still covered by the plate) but it plunges perfectly every time. It's just way out of alignment to hit the ball perfectly with enough force.

#7 8 years ago

Make sure you have the correct plunger spring, Pinbot uses this blue spring http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/10-148-3
NOTE: It looks like spring colors are not consistent, Marcos has blue as the 2nd most powerful, but on PBL its the weakest.

Also make sure you don't have your spiral ramp screwed down too tight, and it is aligned properly.

#8 8 years ago

Interesting. I had not thought about the plunger sleeve at all. I've never pulled it off. I'm not sure actually anyone ever has. I'm the third owner supposedly, only home use, and the last 2 owners didn't know squat about servicing let alone even cleaning it under the glass. The only work I'm aware of it having done was having a solenoid replaced on one flipper that went, and at the time the repair guy redid both the flippers with new sleeves and cleaning them up. I remember the old man telling me that the original metal sleeve was worn clean through entirely which is why the guy who repaired it just popped off both at the time and redid it (maybe 2 years ago.)

The plunger, the spring on it, everything is 1986 stock. When I do order parts I have only gone through Marco since that was brought up. Perhaps it's a messed up sleeve since I did note that there is a little bit of wobble to it, it's definitely not tight and snug as I can pull it a bit to the side (very slightly) which could cause it not to stick the shot repeatedly correctly. The tip though is seated right as I had to replace it and I made sure it was set correctly when I did it a few months ago.

Thanks for the link on the blue spring, if I looked up Pinbot on Marco would it also have a stock original plunger assembly too? I'd think while it's open doing the whole mess of things couldn't hurt.

EDIT: For the last hour I've messed with this thing a bit more. I went ahead and removed the entire plunger rod assembly from the machine. The wood itself is cherry, no cuts or any marks at all in that triangle shape cut they did when it was made. The rod from the eye seems straight as an arrow, plunger tip is all the way down flush to the metal, and the spring seems fine, but what can you really say about either of those being that old? With it removed I started to slide the various pieces out of the assembly while still being together (I don't have spare C-clips to snap back on there) and noticed some black gunk/sludge on the plunger sleeve. I used some 91% isopropyl alcohol on that with a paper towel and got it off and the light gray sleeve there appears to be in great shape with no signs of wear. It appears to be sliding a little nicer now.

I did notice it seemed a bit off center being in the down position (it was off to the right almost rubbing the metal sleeve on the ball lane) so I moved it. At first I found raising it took some backspin off (I painted a temp red line on the ball) which was a start. Then I found ultimately a better spot for it being pulled up by my hand as high as it could go and as left as well, then I screwed it in for all its worth. The roll is off it, not so sure about side spin but it's nothing like it was doing. At the moment it appears playing just one game to not be giving me the amount of garbage it was before as I was able to rack up a 3.5M score or so on it and around 8 balls on a 5 ball game. More testing is needed spinning the rod around to see if it behaves the same or not. I still strongly believe it lacks some thrust towards the top as it's not begging to go into that 20K spot with much fury if I pull it back all the way. Perhaps that blue spring would be the cure? Either I'm looking at replacing the full assembly or getting that blue spring. I'd rather not get rid of my williams branded chrome plate.

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from Tanooki:

I still strongly believe it lacks some thrust towards the top as it's not begging to go into that 20K spot with much fury if I pull it back all the way. Perhaps that blue spring would be the cure? Either I'm looking at replacing the full assembly or getting that blue spring. I'd rather not get rid of my williams branded chrome plate.

Guide:

Buy this stuff:
Shooter Spring
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/10-148-3

Barrel Spring:
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/10-149

Sleeve:
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-7357

E clip: Buy a few for spares
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/20-8712-37

Washers: Need 2, but a few for spares
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/4700-00051-00

Shooter tip:
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/38-1100W

1. Take everything apart. Use the info below.
2. Clean it all, mean green then wash then dry then rubbing alcohol on the metal bits.
3. Replace the parts bought above
4. Put it back together
5. Enjoy.

shooter.PNGshooter.PNG

Info:
http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/1796/Williams_1986_Pin_bot_Manual.pdf
and
http://www.planetarypinball.com/reference/partsmanuals/WMS_Parts_Blue_16-9064-B/index.html

#10 8 years ago

Try this: take off the barrel spring and see if it makes the ramp better.

Reason I say this: my taxi has a similar issue with the ball not spinning in the spinout well. Taking off the barrel spring allowed the plunger rod to follow through more and delivered a more powerful shot at the ball.

Takes 2 seconds and could get you a stronger shot. I was amazed at the difference.

#11 8 years ago

Klogg Thanks!

I've bookmarked this in the event I need to go that far with it. I haven't the time yet to play some more to see if my corrections and cleaning worked. I do not have any mean green, so I'm sure there's still some crap between the chrome base and the outer side of the nylon sleeve, but other than that I cleaned all that stuff down that exists there with the alcohol until the rag came away clean. The tip I have now is new as of 3mo~ ago and I have a new spare for it anyway so that's covered.

I just did a few non-serious games trying just to mess with the plunger. I think my cleaning did improve it some. I actually can finally feel a spot where the 100K shot rests (my eyeball says between the last 2 triangles in on that view window there.) It still feels like it catches a little bit somewhere depending where it (rod) is spun but nothing as horrid as before as I didn't hit it yet going BANG and missing the ramp or barely hitting 5K. The movement of the shooter assembly and the cleaning helped, but I know I could remove it again and clean it far better. I may have to do this, and if that fails, buy the parts. I mean it couldn't hurt getting a new shooter spring as it is 30 years old almost.

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Try this: take off the barrel spring and see if it makes the ramp better.
Reason I say this: my taxi has a similar issue with the ball not spinning in the spinout well. Taking off the barrel spring allowed the plunger rod to follow through more and delivered a more powerful shot at the ball.
Takes 2 seconds and could get you a stronger shot. I was amazed at the difference.

Don't take off the barrel spring. It won't fix the issue, at best it just masks the problem. A rubber ring on the rod does not work like the correct spring at dampening the end of stroke.

#13 8 years ago

I didn't remove it, but I did work on twisting it a bit so it's slightly less lengthy, seemed to help a tidbit, but that's just a stupid band-aid at best. Ultimately I'll have to pull it apart and properly clean it and if that fails, order that generously helpful part listing from Marco.

#14 8 years ago

make sure the pivot points of your playfield aren't too loose, you know the hinges that let you lower and raise it? Your playfield being lowered is essentially what make the shooter lane line up.

Try this. Loosen the shooter rod housing, on the outside of the cabinet slip a quarter between it and the wood and then tighten it back up. This will change the trajectory of the rod slightly.

Then if that doesn't work, keep adjusting the shooter rod housing.

To get my Taxi to hit the spin out the way I wanted I must have spent an hour and a half moving it in tiny increments dozens of times. you want the tip to hit the ball square in the center.

#15 8 years ago

Does reducing the pitch of the machine give it more oompf?

Make sure the metal part at the bottom of the vortex is sitting flush with the playfield wood. If not it can mess up the path. I had this problem on my pinbot after replacing the vortex with an aftermarket one.

#16 8 years ago

After reading this I found out my sleeve was reversed! I replaced all my bumpers rings and plunger tip a while back, I took it all apart and put it back together the same way it came apart! Well this was my first time and I am a newbie! First pin. Anyway, it shoots a lot better!!! Check your sleeve, could be that simple! Thanks guys!

#17 8 years ago

Make sure the two little fingers on the shooter gauge are even. If they are crooked, it will cause to ball to sit unevenly in the shooter lane. They can easily be bent by hand to allow the ball to sit properly. Also bent slightly forward or backward to allow shooter tip to hit harder or softer. The position of the shooter assembly in the cabinet is very critical as others have mentioned.

There are a ton of little adjustments that will add up to a consistent plunge. Even the way your hand grips the shooter handle and releases it. I try to always grab with my index finger and thumb and pull to the correct mark on the shooter guide, then move them at a downward angle so they slip off at the same time. It sounds weird but it works, the 100,000 shot isn't hard once you have everything dialed in.

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from hawksfan:

Don't take off the barrel spring. It won't fix the issue, at best it just masks the problem. A rubber ring on the rod does not work like the correct spring at dampening the end of stroke.

Jeez. Thanks for the thumbs down in only trying to help.

Op: Williams used to use a barrel spring that wasn't as rigid as the replacement ones today. In trying the plunge with it off is just an attempt at seeing if it's the hard spring. This worked wonders with my taxi. If this is your case you can locate an older barrel from another pin An old worked-in one. An original.

I can't see how this isn't a decent option in trying to correct the issue.

#19 8 years ago

I tried to sort out this issue, spent a ton of time with no real outcome, doesn't matter how you plunge the shot its never consistent, it's down to pot luck now

#20 8 years ago

The momentum is probably being lost due to the rubber on the right side of the pops area. That's what the ball hits on mine, especially if the rubber is new or just cleaned

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from Fresh_Wax:

The momentum is probably being lost due to the rubber on the right side of the pops area. That's what the ball hits on mine, especially if the rubber is new or just cleaned

Yer, noticed that, I also tried 1/2 smaller rubbers there with no real difference,

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Jeez. Thanks for the thumbs down in only trying to help.
Op: Williams used to use a barrel spring that wasn't as rigid as the replacement ones today. In trying the plunge with it off is just an attempt at seeing if it's the hard spring. This worked wonders with my taxi. If this is your case you can locate an older barrel from another pin An old worked-in one. An original.
I can't see how this isn't a decent option in trying to correct the issue.

You're welcome, and don't get your panties in a bunch, I disagree with your solution for the reason I started. That's why it was downed.

#23 8 years ago
Quoted from Tanooki:

I've bookmarked this in the event I need to go that far with it.

I would go ahead and do it, "restoring" a shooter is very easy compared many things you work on in pinball.
The spring that is in there is old and very well could be the wrong one.

Beware once you fix this up like new you will want to do it to every assembly on the machine, which is a good thing!

#24 8 years ago

The Stern shooter springs and B/W springs seem to have different color codes.
If the flipper sleeves were worn thru, then that shooter sleeve will be worn also. As well as all the other coil sleeves. Wear, it's what they do.

#25 8 years ago

Make sure its the right shooter rod. There are different lengths and some do not throw as far as others. As well as adjustment is key and also check the playfield tilt bolts and bushings. They wear and make the playfield unlevel in the cabinet when the cabinet is actually level.
You can turn the bushings around and reuse them again.
Make sure they are there and in good shape. Seen that affect more system 11 games plungers than anything else.

#26 8 years ago

Also:

Spin the shooter rod. It should spin in place, not wander around at the tip.

If the tip wanders, the rod is slightly bent (common), or the rubber is not fully seated (kinda common).

The tip has to be perfectly centered on the ball - every time; if you want consistent shots.

#27 8 years ago

Shooter rods are like records. Great when straight and sucking when warped. Good call as usual Vid. BOY!!!!!
Man your avatar takes me right back to when I saw phantasm in the theaters.

#28 8 years ago

Wow post explosion did not expect that.

I haven't reassembled it back into the machine yet. I tore it entirely to pieces, filled a bowl with 91% isopropul alcohol and I had a baby bottle mini wire brush meant for those things that is a perfect fit for the hole in the housing/sleeve. I submerged them as I saw some funk and I scrubbed it all out nice and pretty and got it very smooth now. I know it's not ideal, but I gave the big spring a little tug giving it a very slightly longer (more tense) shove as well.

I didn't test the rod, but it did get away from my on a table and rolled fine from the look of it. I doubt any of this has been pulled out of there or messed with in parts since it was originally assembled but it's very nice looking now. I don't feel any light scrape or tension as I spin the rod in the housing either which I felt it did slightly before, but of course this is me holding it, not in the machine yet. I hope I don't have to pull it apart again, I had to bend the C-clip back into place as I don't have a spare. :\ If it gets pulled apart again I'm going down that parts list and dumping all that for new parts and at that rate I'd give a fair test to the rod on my desk here.

#29 8 years ago

put a 1/4 inch e-clip where the c clip goes. Makes it easily removable whenever you want.

#30 8 years ago

I know I saw that on Marco. I only got into owning pinball machines instead of various other knockoffs (antiques) or plastic things just this year in late March when I got one, then this a couple months later. I've got a very small tool selection and next to no spare parts so I kind of work with what I have and when I need to order I do since the two is all I've got.

Anyway, it seems to have resolved itself I believe, 90% certain at least. I'll try and get my wife to play it as she like pinball sometimes. I had her pull it back and let it go, said she think it felt better. I just want second feel for it. The rod flies through and doesn't seem to feel a little rough or rubby in there at all. The cleaning clearly had some effect. I also took the advice there about the metal plate over the shooter rod, it was in fact crooked as the left side was maybe an 1/8" of an inch off from the other so I went back and forward leveling them out using a round led light I have with a flat face to it so I could use light and shadow to get it right. That did appear to some some of that horizontal english off the ball which is a plus. Also my dumb(or not) idea of giving the spring a little stretch appears to have toughened it up a bit. I think I said the other day it was between the last 2 diamonds on the shooter cover where it fairly well would make 100K shots, now it's up one between the next set, and going full pull on it gives it some big speed into the 20K I've not but rarely seen. I still feel it maybe a little catching or not, really just need time with it to be certain, but this is a huge improvement.

Thanks and I'll keep an eye on this and bookmarked as I may just swap the parts anyway to be safe about it. And that was a good call vid made there about the rod and tip and I had that in mind just didn't do the test on it officially is all. As was it emperer on the shooter gauge.

1 month later
#31 8 years ago

Thanks for creating this thread. It is very specifically directed toward the problem I'm having with my Pinbot. I'm going to be trying many of the ideas presented here within the next few months as I get time to mess with my machine.

3 months later
#32 8 years ago

I'm having a similar issue, but I think it mostly stems from the new white rubber on the right of the pop bumpers. It's a 4" rubber ring, while the manual's list of rubber rings only goes up to 3 1/2". I'm going to try that and see if it improves. Also suspecting the Vortex ramp flap may be catching the ball a bit since the ball sometimes makes it past the rubber with a bit of a noise, then rolls back out. I have had it go all the way to the top hole a few times, so I think the shooter rod/spring/tip is all good as long as nothing obstructs it's path up the Vortex.

5 years later
#33 2 years ago

Hate resurrecting old threads, but finally found a solution that hasn’t been mentioned yet…

I’ve been dealing with this ongoing issue for 6+ Months on my Jack*Bot. I’ve replaced every component in the shooter rod assembly. Last night I even used a dremel to sand down the shooter rod cutout on the cabinet to allow the shooter rod housing to move further left and higher up. Although it gave me dead nuts accuracy on hitting the center of the ball, it still did not solve the problem.

Using slo-mo on my phone, I found the ball was slamming hard into the right side guide rail before the riveted flange that overlaps the vortex ramp entry. In a last ditch effort, I loosened up the 2 screws holding the right side guide rail, pulled them in as far as they could go (towards the PF and vortex) and tightened them down, although it only came in 1/4” or so, it 100% solved the problem!!!! The ball now rockets up the vortex!!!

4794AC40-D249-4B1B-B775-2B7AC48B3E40 (resized).jpeg4794AC40-D249-4B1B-B775-2B7AC48B3E40 (resized).jpeg
6 months later
#34 2 years ago
Quoted from Quadrider:

finally found a solution that hasn’t been mentioned yet…

Oh.. I have to try this one. I have been struggling finding a solution too, tried everything except for this one.

My spring seems to be very weak.. is every blue spring the same? I got mine from Germany (pinball.center)..

#35 2 years ago
Quoted from Vin-bot:

My spring seems to be very weak.. is every blue spring the same?

Yes! Blue is one of the weakest spring types out there.

You should get something a bit stronger for that skill shot. I recommend getting either a green (mid range) or orange (mid-strong) spring.

#36 2 years ago
Quoted from Shogun00:

Yes! Blue is one of the weakest spring types out there.

So what’s the next strength up from blue?

Is it green followed by orange?

#37 2 years ago
Quoted from Vin-bot:

So what’s the next strength up from blue?
Is it green followed by orange?

Going with Pinball Life's spring color index.

Blue
Green
Standard (silver)
Yellow
Orange
Purple
Red

On a side note, I completely forgot about silver and yellow while typing my previous post.

I wouldn't recommend anything stronger than orange in Pinbot. Purple and Red are used for ball shooters, that shoot the ball into a steep ramp (ex. High Speed, Rollergames).

#38 2 years ago
Quoted from Shogun00:

On a side note, I completely forgot about silver and yellow while typing my previous post.

Thanks !!

My local shop only has green and orange is stock.. let’s hope one them will be perfect

2 weeks later
#39 2 years ago

Any ideas where I could find a Vortex topper(the clear plastic above the ramp with the space shuttle sticker)? Our topper is broken at the second from bottom bracket and after tightening everything the ball is hitting at this metal bracket and not making it to the 5000 pt hole.

#41 2 years ago

I made the ebay purchase, fingers crossed.
thanks for the quick heads up.

#43 2 years ago
Quoted from ToddfromMD:

Any ideas where I could find a Vortex topper(the clear plastic above the ramp with the space shuttle sticker)? Our topper is broken at the second from bottom bracket and after tightening everything the ball is hitting at this metal bracket and not making it to the 5000 pt hole.

I had hard time finding it too.. ended finding it in Germany.. https://www.pinball.center/en/search?sSearch=Pinbot&p=1

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Lighting - Backbox
Twisted Tokens

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fargo, ND
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Kingston, OK
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

3,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Clovis, CA
$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbot-is-it-the-plunger-the-vortex-i-dunno?hl=vin-bot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.