New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 37903)

Pinbot. I Finally Get It

By Phetishboy

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 68 posts
  • 43 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by alveolus
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

0000pb.jpg

There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 7 years ago

Went to an arcade/pinball party in Wisconsin yesterday and had a blast. The guy who threw the party had about 10 video games and 2 pins, Firepower and Pinbot. I tried Firepower a few times but it was kinda slow (the playfield angle was too shallow) and overall I wasn't real impressed. Then I went and played a game of Pinbot. I absolutely fell in love. Ended up playing about 30-40 games before the night was over and couldn't get enough. What a great game. Lot of great shots, cool robot voice, great light show. Can't believe i havent played one before now. Guess you DON'T need a DMD to be a great pin these days.

#2 7 years ago

It is fun to hear Python talk about it.

He wanted the whole game to be a robot. And it literally is.

LTG : )

#3 7 years ago

It was my first pin, and after a couple other DMD's were added to the collection, Pinbot still gets played a bunch. It's fast enough, has mutliball, a cool skill shot, awesome voice, a mini playfield, of course the visor, and you can usually get one for a decent price. I think all System 11 games are the biggest bang for your buck.

The only downside is that it's really right flipper dominant.

#4 7 years ago

My buddy just snagged a Jackbot, basically the same game but with better rules. I'm really liking it, very challenging. Just wish there was more to do with the left flipper. The game is very right flipper biased..

#5 7 years ago

FINALLY!

Great basic game. Looks sick with the right LEDs.

#6 7 years ago

Same here, always disliked the game for bad flow and hungry side drains, but after picking one up I can't keep myself away from it.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

My buddy just snagged a Jackbot, basically the same game but with better rules. I'm really liking it, very challenging. Just wish there was more to do with the left flipper. The game is very right flipper biased..

I think the card thing is corny compared to the space theme of the original. The main playfield art basically duplicating the physical visor layout is also pretty weak.

Pinbot is my favorite game, so I want to love Jackbot, but I just can't.

#8 7 years ago

Hey,

Glad you liked it. Mine hasn't been set up for a while, but I have to do a playfield swap on it, so that's holding me back. But yeah, super-fun game.

Luke

#9 7 years ago

whats the value of this game, I was thinking $700-900 that sound right, thinking of getting one i know of for sale...he wanted $1000, it is one of those machines i really like to play but not sure it is worth the space right now..

#10 7 years ago

Hey,

I paid $1,000 for mine a couple years back. I'm in Canada, a guy in the Minneapolis area had one, so I said I'd give him the asking price if he held it for me. If you were quick on the draw, you could find one cheaper, but I wasn't too concerned about a couple hundred bucks one way or another; it was worth it to me to give up the bargaining power in order to guarantee the machine.

Luke

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from Phetishboy:

Went to an arcade/pinball party in Wisconsin yesterday and had a blast. The guy who threw the party had about 10 video games and 2 pins, Firepower and Pinbot. I tried Firepower a few times but it was kinda slow (the playfield angle was too shallow) and overall I wasn't real impressed. Then I went and played a game of Pinbot. I absolutely fell in love. Ended up playing about 30-40 games before the night was over and couldn't get enough. What a great game. Lot of great shots, cool robot voice, great light show. Can't believe i havent played one before now. Guess you DON'T need a DMD to be a great pin these days.

To me, you cannot go wrong with most System 11 games, I think it's my favorite era of machines.

#12 7 years ago

i just picked one up a week ago. still working on shopping it out. played it first a couple years ago in chicago and a few games before shopping it out. really like it and glad to have a nice, solid pin.

#13 7 years ago

Pinbot has a very very nostalgic tie here. I remember plunking quarters into it endlessly back in the late 90s in a local bowling alley. The game was a GREAT play, and I always loved the "start button" attract music. After meeting Python last month at a party, hearing him talk about Pinbot and what his thoughts are about it are an adventure in and of itself, as Lloyd points out.

A great catch! Love the game.

-- Jimmy

#14 7 years ago

great pin. easy to understand ruleset, looks great beside my bop too fits in really nice with a larger collection, dont need to play deep rule pins all the time

#15 7 years ago

Pinot is cool. Jackbot even better.

#17 7 years ago

I remember playing it as a kid - the space theme, sounds and light show was really unique to me at that time - where most games I had played were EM's.

I have one and I still get that "feeling" when I play it some times - when the lights are low and all the other games are off - I kind of get taken back in time.

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

I remember playing it as a kid - the space theme, sounds and light show was really unique to me at that time - where most games I had played were EM's.
I have one and I still get that "feeling" when I play it some times - when the lights are low and all the other games are off - I kind of get taken back in time.

+1 when I get the chance to play it at a friends.

#19 7 years ago

I played pinbot a bunch on the NES (of all systems). I did remember liking it, never liked the bagatelle portion though. I do however want a BOP pretty badly.

#20 7 years ago

Running up the solar value, trying to max the multipliers on each ball, collecting energy bonus, the tricky skillshot and elusive and high pressure million shot then finally - controlling the universe.

I have had a few Sys11's but this one is going nowhere.

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

My buddy just snagged a Jackbot, basically the same game but with better rules.

Nah, Pinbot has the better ruleset.

#22 7 years ago

I snagged a Great pinbot for 400 a year and a half ago. A few transistors,leds, and a lot of novus later. It is in my top three favs. It's an absolute classic and it would probably take 1500 or more to get it away from me.

#23 7 years ago

My dream: Pinbot, BOP and Jackpot all together at home...

#24 7 years ago

Yep, Pinbot is a long time family favorite. I've grown to really appreciate the game music. Funny comment from a friend when he played it at my house: He thought the Pinbot sound so awesome but could not remember ever really hearing them since the arcade we played them at in the old days had all the background noise from the many games going.

#25 7 years ago

I find pinbot is like 2 games in one. You play for multi ball and the big jackpot by locking a ball then shooting for the ramp or just keep nailing the targets to reach the sun. He is a drain monster but alot of fun. Owned it for about a year now and have only reached the sun twice. Ruler of the universe.

#26 7 years ago
Quoted from lukex:

high pressure million shot

There's a million point shot in Pinbot????

#27 7 years ago

yes Pinbot is well done and set the tone for all future games in the sys11 era and beyond....pure genius...Jpop

#28 7 years ago
Quoted from cowman57:

There's a million point shot in Pinbot????

It's the skillshot, 100,000 points built to a x10 value

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from RGR:

My dream: Pinbot, BOP and Jackpot all together at home...

I'm 2/3's of the way there, all though my BOP is out of commission for now. Since I only have room for 3 total right now, I highly doubt I will completing this mini collection. Jackbot and Pinbot are too similar for a small collection.

#30 7 years ago

Thinking about grabbing one soon, whats the market on a nice one these days?

#31 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer22:

$1000

#32 7 years ago

LOL Mojozone

#33 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer22:

I guess it all depends on how nice we're talking about. I'm embarrassed to say how much I have into my Pinbot. It's got a restored clearcoated playfield and cabinet (courtesy of fellow Pinsider Doot77). I also ponied up big time for a near mint original translite. To me, it was worth it. Pinbot is the game that got me hooked on pinball, and it's still one of my favorites. Whenever I play it, the sounds, lights and music instantly transport me back to 1986.

#34 7 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

near mint original translite.

Does pinbot use a translite or Backglass like others of that time? originally speaking.

#35 7 years ago
Quoted from mojozone:

Does pinbot use a translite or Backglass like others of that time? originally speaking.

Translite. I don't believe any Pinbots had real backglasses.

#36 7 years ago

Pinbot is fantastic. Jackbot is a bit better. Bride of Pinbot....not so much.

#37 7 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Translite. I don't believe any Pinbots had real backglasses.

CPR is working on a mirrored backglass.

#38 7 years ago
Quoted from jeffparsons:

I just can't get on board with JackBot. If they had used a different playfield. i think i would be more excited about it.

#39 7 years ago

Jackbot does not have the same perfection as Pinbot. Same machine with some added rules, but it doesn't feel like the original Pinbot, which cannot be matched. The ball does not react the same, which is what you are waiting for if you know Pinbot. I don’t know how else to describe it. To any true Pinbot fan, I think you’ll get the same response.

Why a remake of this first machine was done, I don't know. They should have made a 3rd installment which was completely different, as with bride.

The original Pinbot is one of my favorite machines ever. Sounds and lights are superb.

#40 7 years ago
Quoted from Anim8ormatt:

CPR is working on a mirrored backglass.

I saw that. May have to pick up one of those.

#41 7 years ago

My pinbot has a real back glass. I thought they all did.

#42 7 years ago

I had my Pinbot for over a decade. Classic game, big nostalgia trip for me. Unfortunately I needed room so away it went a couple of months ago. For reference I sold it for $1400.00. Condition wise it was above average, playfield was in great shape with only minor touch ups.

#43 7 years ago
Quoted from dieseldogpi:

My pinbot has a real back glass. I thought they all did.

It does? I've never seen one with a real backglass. Is it some kind of custom repro?

#44 7 years ago

Some had real glasses in them. I think that was the point when Williams was transitioning to translites.

I have personally seen at least 3 with real backglasses, although I don't recall them being mirrored.

Chris

#45 7 years ago

There was a Pinbot for sale around here on CL a few months ago for $500. I should have picked it up, but had just bought ES. Now I have BOP and would have loved having the two beside each other. Next time...

#46 7 years ago

The only pinbots I'm aware of with real back glasses are the foreign ones from the Spanish company.

#47 7 years ago

It is my understanding that there are no pinbots with backglasses. For some reason it seems to be the single most confused backglass thing out there, as most people think they in fact do have a backglass. I admit, I believed this at first as well. That back of this translite just looks "backglassy" so to speak.

Having said that, I've already contacted CPR with regards to the above info on backglasses being made. Giddy up!

#48 7 years ago
Quoted from jeffparsons:

I'm just about the opposite. BOP best, then PB, then a far, far third place is JB.

#49 7 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

It is my understanding that there are no pinbots with backglasses. For some reason it seems to be the single most confused backglass thing out there, as most people think they in fact do have a backglass. I admit, I believed this at first as well. That back of this translite just looks "backglassy" so to speak.

Mine is definitely a silk screened (or whatever is called) backglass. Not a translite at all.

#50 7 years ago
Quoted from Matt_Rasmussen:

I'm just about the opposite. BOP best, then PB, then a far, far third place is JB.

I think this man speaks the truth.

For an all around experience, nothing (with maybe the exception of Black Knight 2000) compares with the light and sound package of Bride of Pinbot.

Opinions will vary

CHris

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 17.00
Sale Pending!
Bethlehem, PA
2,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mullica Hill, NJ
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 28.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 36.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside