pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_3712 (resized).jpg
IMG_3711 (resized).jpg
IMG_3692 (resized).jpg
20181009_010102 (resized).jpg
20181009_010140 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider grumpy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from jag8511:

I'm new to the pinball world and still trying to learn

That's great. Do you have a manual? Do you have a DMM and a logic probe?

Quoted from jag8511:

The top Jet bumper wasn't working and had the coil sleeve melted inside of it.

This kind of damage has done damage to the CPU board for sure. I would also bet that the fuses are not the correct value, when getting a used machine you must check all fuses before you even plug it in.

Quoted from jag8511:

So I decided to tackle the first problem and bought a new coil and rebuilt the lower part of the bumper. Turned the machine on and tested and nothing. The coil wouldn't fire. I then looked at the CPU board and noticed that Q79 and Q78 looked to be a bit burnt. I decided to replace them both. Put the CPU back in and turned the game on. Within about 5 seconds, Q79 started to spark and smoke. I turned the machine off immediately. Thought maybe I had a bad transistor so I replaced Q79 again. Turn the machine on and again it started sparking and smoking.

You need to test first before randomly replacing parts. There is a limited number of times that you can replace a TIP before you damage the board.

Let me know when you have the tools and I will assist you in fixing these minor repairs.

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from jag8511:

I have a DMM but not a logic probe - would this work?

That is perfect!

#20 5 years ago

Yes this is wired incorrectly. For future repairs you always replace diodes when you replace coils. Also the silver band on the diode always faces the power wire. You can tell which wire is the power wire by a number of ways. It's listed in the manual, the wire is a larger gauge wire then the other and sometimes there are two wires. In this case all 3 are there to let you know that the red/ white wires are the power wires. Now that there has been a dead short you need to replace the driver, predriver, the coil diode and check the coil for the correct resistance. Now when you replace the driver you can upgrade to a TIP102 instead of a TIP122 as they are 60% stronger. As for the diode I upgrade to a 1n4007, these can be used for any 1n400x diodes in the game.

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from jag8511:

What should I test with DMM before putting the CPU back in and give it a test?

You can test ZR-3 thru ZR-8 for being shorted. But your other issues require the board to be installed in the machine for further testing.

#23 5 years ago

Also when you install the CPU board you need to leave 1J19 connector off the board until you are sure that there is no issues with the pop.

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from jag8511:

I put the CPU back in to give it a test. Started smoking as soon as I turned on the machine. I decided to disconnect the coil and boot the game back up. It boots fine and plays a game but now none of the pop bumpers work.

Quoted from GRUMPY:

Also when you install the CPU board you need to leave 1J19 connector off

This couldn't happen if the connector was off. This is a must so that you can power on the game to do the final testing.

Quoted from jag8511:

I know I'll need to pull the board out and test everything

You can leave it in a do testing before replacing the predriver and driver.

Quoted from jag8511:

Is the next step to test ZR-3 thru ZR-8? I'm trying to look at the schematics but since I'm new, I'm not 100% sure what I'm looking for so I don't know what to test and if I did, I'm not sure what the values should be that I'm looking for.

There is two ways to active the special solenoids, the cpu can activate the coil in solenoid test and the game can activate the coil by a switch closing on the play field which applies a ground to the 1J18 connector which will go to U-45 or U-50. The zener diode which is in between the 1J18 connector and U-45 or U-50 chip is tied to ground. If the zener shorts it's the same as the switch being stuck closed, which will lock the coil on and melt it.

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from jag8511:

If the coil is being locked on and melting, wouldn't I hear the pop bumper when I first turn the machine on?

On Pinbot it is hard to hear a locked coil because the visor motor goes into the limit switch test as soon as you turn it on.

Quoted from jag8511:

So you are thinking that Zener diode might be bad? How did I test it with a DMM? Do I need to take the diode off the board to get a proper reading?

This happens often, its an easy test, with 1J18 disconnected set DMM to ohms and place leads on zener, note reading then reverse leads and note readings. If it is shorted it will have a low reading both directions. Since your issue is special solenoid 6 you need to test ZR7. This is on page 59 of the manual. You also need to test if the pop skirt switch is stuck closed which will also lock on a coil, you can do this by checking ohms from the ground braid to the connector 1J18 pin 9. This should be infinity until you press the skirt then it should drop to zero ohms.

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from jag8511:

When testing ZR7 - I get 5.5 ohms both ways. I assume I could use any braided wire. I used the one on the top of the back box and tested pin 9. I got 5.5 ohms. And then I used an old coil to hold down the pop bumper skirt and tested again to get 5.5 ohms. No change.
I'm not sure if I'm doing the testing wrong or if that provides any good information.

Are you sure it was 5.5 ohms or was it 5.5k ohms?

#34 5 years ago
Quoted from jag8511:

I only get 5.5 ohms. I have a DMM that is auto and it doesn't put the "K" on it. So I assume it is saying 5.5 for ZR7

So then test the other zeners to see what they read.

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from jag8511:

ZR3 - ZR8 are all 4.81-4.82 except for ZR7 which was 5.5

This mean they are all bad or your meter is not showing the k ohms. Normally when I test them on board I read 5k ohms both directions.

#38 5 years ago
Quoted from jag8511:

Would that solve the issue of all the other pop bumpers not working

I was under the understanding that the top was bad and the other 2 pops were ok.

#40 5 years ago
Quoted from jag8511:

I took the wires off the coil to the top bumper

Did you separate the 2 red wires when you removed them? If so you can wire nut the 2 red wires back together but leave them off the coil.

#42 5 years ago
Quoted from jag8511:

Do all 3 coils need to be hooked up for the bumpers to work?

No but the power goes from one coil to the next and so on. If you separated the red wires then the power stops right there and any coil down the line will not work.

#44 5 years ago
Quoted from jag8511:

When using the other tester - all read 4.81 K except for ZR7. Which reads nothing. My bet is that ZR7 is shorted and needs to be replaced. Would that solve the issue of all the other pop bumpers not working or do I need to do more testing before I start ordering parts?

4.8 k ohms is fine, but ZR-7 is testing funny, so cut it off the board. The board will work with out the zener diodes until you have a replacement. Also there is another way to test the zener diodes if the board is installed in the game.

#47 5 years ago
Quoted from jag8511:

Because I'm not getting any reading now with a different tester, does that seem fishy? Even if it is shorted, should it still give a reading?

There are so many DMM available and they all react a bit different, it does add a bit of frustration when helping people. For me I need to use a meter every day at work so I count on my Fluke 77 meter for over 25 years now. ZR-7 can also be open which will give an infinity reading.

#48 5 years ago

Right now is the board in the game?

#50 5 years ago

With j-19 disconnected and j-18 connected, turn on the power. Take your logic probe and connect it to the five volt and ground test points on the cpu board. Then probe the j-18 connector, all pins should be a high except for 1,6 and 7 as they are not connected. If this is good then probe pin 2 which is SS #3 and then press the left pop bumper skirt, the high should go low each time you press the skirt. Then repeat this for all 3 pops and both slings.

#53 5 years ago
Quoted from jag8511:

where are the test points on the CPU?

The ground is near the upper left of the battery. The five volt is between U-21 and U-22.

Quoted from jag8511:

What does that small n looking mark mean?

It is a poor quality copy of a ohm symbol not a n mark.

Quoted from jag8511:

ZR7 still shows a 0

Cut this off the board and retest 1J-18 pin 9 for a high with your probe and then drop to a low when you push on the pop skirt.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#55 5 years ago
Quoted from jag8511:

The top bumper just stays on high and doesn’t change when I press the skirt.

Check the adjustment of the switch and see if it is not closing.

#57 5 years ago
Quoted from jag8511:

Sorry - it is stuck on LOW - not high.

Yea this is a problem and must be fixed first before any board repair work.

Quoted from jag8511:

The switch seems to be adjusted ok.

Here is a pic. Normally both should be open until activated.

Quoted from jag8511:

However, I’m wondering if it is stuck on low that it means that switch might be bad and stuck on?

This is possible, you can disconnect the orange/blue wire and see if it goes high now.

#58 5 years ago

Also in the pic you will see that there is resistor and cap connected to the solenoid switch, if these are also on your switch the cap may have gone bad causing the switch to be shorted. You can cut one lead of the cap to see if the short is fixed.

#60 5 years ago

The cap and resistor together make an RC network to extend the switch close pulse so that a light tap of the skirt from the ball will give a strong hit from the coil. They will not come on a new switch. Since most people just transfer these parts from one switch to another its likely they are original parts. Some people don't transfer the cap and resistor or just cut them off when they are having issues, that's why I asked if your pin has them or not.

#62 5 years ago

Ok, look for SR20 resistor pack. It looks like the pic I posted. You will see a white dot on the board, this is pin one. Inside there are 9 resistors which are pins 2-10. Pin 1 is 5 volts and is tied to one side of all the resistors. These packs can crack internally and sever the 5 volts from the resistor. You can test them with an ohm meter with the power off. You check for ohms from pin 1 to 2 then from pin 1 to pin 3 and so on, you should see 4700 ohms or 4.7k ohms.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#64 5 years ago
Quoted from jag8511:

I assume that means that Pin 9 being .10k is a problem?

Sure sounds like it. Is this something you can replace?

#66 5 years ago

Off the top of my head....
1. TIP102
2. 2n4401
3. 1n5234
4. RESISTOR SIP 10 PIN 4.7K 9R 10 5%
5. 1n4007

#72 5 years ago
Quoted from jag8511:

I'm I doing something wrong? Or are there more problems than just the SR20 being bad like we thought?

You are not doing anything wrong, but sometimes the damage is more severe then first thought. U-50 is most likely shorted out. You can cut U-50 pin 5 to see if the switch input line raises to 5 volts as it should be. If it doesn't raise then it can be U-49 or the pia chip that is bad. You will need a very small anvil cutter to do this. Something like this.

#75 5 years ago

In this particular case you're testing the zener not as a diode but more like a resistor. By using ohms instead of diode test, a working circuit will read @ 5 k ohms. If you are reading 1 ohm then you know that you may have a bad zener diode. When you get a low ohm reading then you are sure something is wrong you can lift a lead of the zener and retest it to know if it's the zener or something in the rest of the circuit causing the low ohm reading. Now if U-50 is the problem and you cut pin 5 and separate the lead in half. This will remove the short and allow this circuit to rise back up to 5 volts. If there is no change then U-50 isn't the problem and you need to test further up stream to U-49 and so on until you have removed the short. When there is a short on a circuit like you have there is no way to separate the components from the short without removing them from the circuit either by removing the part completely or by cutting a pin. A piece like SR -20, you can't cut a lead so it must be removed from the board and once it has been removed you may as well replace it. Now for U-50, if you cut the lead carefully it can be repaired without replacing the chip. Also if you do not power up the coil until all your testing and repairs are completed you will not damage them. Some people get in a bit of a hurry and power the coil on as a test, this will cause them a lot of frustration, money and time. Test with your meter and probe and when is works correctly with them you will be confident that it is repaired the first time.

#77 5 years ago

Your meter will always read the component with the least amount of resistance. So if U-50 is shorted and ZR-7 is good and they electrically connected the meter will beep because of U-50.

#80 5 years ago
Quoted from jag8511:

Or was your suggestion to cut pin 5 assuming that U-50 was soldered straight to the board?

Yes I was under the assumption that it was soldered directly to the board.

Quoted from jag8511:

The components I have not replaced but look to be in the circuit is R-108,109,110, C-74. Is there anything else I'm missing? Or should I hold off on this until I can test out U-50?

These 4 components rarely go bad. Its best to keep testing until you find the short, then order parts and replace them, followed by a final function test. robertmee is correct in saying you can carefully bend the lead out a bit and then reinsert the chip in the socket for testing.

#82 5 years ago

Have you soldered SR-20 in place yet or is it just a friction fit still?

#85 5 years ago
Quoted from jag8511:

I'm assuming I need the first one.

Yep. The second chip is a "LS" Low power schottky. I don't think this chip can pass as much current as the STD TTL chip.

#88 5 years ago
Quoted from jag8511:

When I turn on the game with J19 plugged in

Do not connect this until all testing and repairs are completed. This is what causes most people's frustration when repairing.

Quoted from jag8511:

I'm wondering if it is SR-20? Which I just replaced :/

Did you check all 6 special solenoid switch inputs, all should be high until you close the switch then they will go low. After all inputs are checked and working, then you need to check the outputs of U-45 (pin 1,4,10 and 13)and U-50(pins 1,and 4). In attract mode all 6 outputs should be low. Then start a game and recheck the same pins and there should be no change.

#90 5 years ago
Quoted from jag8511:

Will wait to see what is said about pin 13 on U45 being high.

So check both inputs for this section of the U-45 chip. In attract mode both inputs (pin 11 and 12) should be high.

#92 5 years ago
Quoted from jag8511:

I don't understand what attract mode is

Attract mode is when the machine is on but a game has not been started.

Quoted from jag8511:

Ok - so now when I check J18 with a probe - the lower pop bumper is stuck on low again...

Do you have the connector J-18 connected to the cpu board? If yes then disconnect j-18 and retest the header pins on the cpu. This will tell you if its on the play field or on the cpu board.

#94 5 years ago
Quoted from jag8511:

Which sucks because it was working before I made repairs to the board.

This happen from time to time. Could just be a coincidence. First check the ohms of ZR4. Looking for @ 5k ohms. Double check your soldering of SR-20 pin #8.

#96 5 years ago
Quoted from jag8511:

Ok - I took the board off and reflowed solder to SR-20 pin #8 and now it testing high and going low when I press the skirt. Hopefully, that was it.

Now the inputs are good, lets check the outputs one more time. Keep J-19 off of the cpu, J-18 on the cpu, power on and start and game. Now check the outputs of U-45 (pin 1,4,10 and 13)and U-50(pins 1,and 4). All 6 should be low. If this is good then test the base (pic below) of all 6 drivers (Q-69,Q-71,Q-73,Q-75,Q-77 and Q-79) They should all be low. If this is good then set DMM meter to ohms and check the resistance from ground to the collector of each of the 6 drivers, you should see a reading of .600 meg to .900 meg ohms. If you get a low reading, then the driver transistor is bad. If all 6 test good then plug in J-19 while listening for a coil activating. Unplug immediately if you hear a coil lock on.

#98 5 years ago
Quoted from jag8511:

10 and 13 are high.

Check the 2 inputs for each output. Check input pins 11 and 12 for the output pin 13. Check input pins 8 and 9 for output pin 10.

#100 5 years ago

Has u-45 been socketed?

#103 5 years ago
Quoted from jag8511:

It hasn't but I have a 14 pin socket.

Does it look like someone has replaced it? Could there be a damaged trace? If everything looks ok then I would replace it with a socket and new chip. Then start all over with the testing.

#105 5 years ago
Quoted from jag8511:

I don’t get a reading on the first 3 pins on J18.

Are you saying no reading on pins 1, 2 and 3? Or do you mean pins 2, 3 and 4? Pin 1 is a key ans will not have a reading.

#107 5 years ago
Quoted from jag8511:

now most of the lights will go off on the play field after about 5 min of the game being on.

Do you mean the CPU controlled lamps? The next time this happens you should for voltage at both sides of F-3 fuse. The fuse maybe going bad, the fuse clips maybe loose or corroded. The bridge rectifier that supplies power for the lamps maybe going bad.

#108 5 years ago
Quoted from jag8511:

2,3, and 4. Sorry. The first 3 specials

I got to ask if you are confident on the soldering of the socket. If so then you may have a bad chip.

#111 5 years ago
Quoted from jag8511:

Everything comes on as normal but then then only lights that stay on are the 3 lights in front of the drop targets, and some random lights on the play field. However, if I start a game everything is just fine. Maybe that is normal?

There is a time during attract mode that the game goes thru the instructions and turns on a off lights and gives a description on the displays of the rules. Could this be what your seeing?

#113 5 years ago
Quoted from jag8511:

Weird, now I’m getting all low readings except for pins 8 and 9 on J18

Try a new chip at U-45.

#114 5 years ago
Quoted from jag8511:

I think that is what I’m seeing.

If you start a game and it acts normal instantly, nothing wrong.

#116 5 years ago
Quoted from jag8511:

I’ll have to order another one as I used the two I had ordered

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=7402

He sells good stuff.

#118 5 years ago
Quoted from jag8511:

Anything else I should get while I'm going to make an order?

You have 4 pins that are basically system 11s so I would keep on hand some,
10 TIP102
10 2n4401
4 Nor chip
4 And chip
2 Nand chip
50 1n4007 diodes
2 Header pins
2 IDC connectors
An assortment of fuses
4 flipper coil sleeves
10 std coil sleeves.
An assortment of some #6,#8 and #10 nuts, washers and screws
2 EOS switches
This should cover most repairs on your older 4 pins.

1 week later
#120 5 years ago
Quoted from jag8511:

Pin 2 - no reading

Since it worked at start up but later went bad after warm up, can be a poor solder joint or a bad chip. You may need to look at the chip upstream U-49 as the cause of the trouble. U-49 is a buffer amplifier chip so a high in = a high out and low in =a low out. So when U-45 test bad at pin 2, then test pin 5 and 6 of U-49.

#124 5 years ago
Quoted from jag8511:

U49 is all high except for pin 7 which is low and pin 14 which gets no reading at all.

Pin 14 is 5 volt power input. You get no reading?

Quoted from jag8511:

Pin 5 doesn’t give a reading at all.

Is this with or without the connector installed? The cap on the skirt switch maybe dragging down the voltage.

#125 5 years ago
Quoted from PDX_Pinball:

probably just a fuse.

So your the guy with all the fuse ads on CL.

#127 5 years ago

There are a couple of via connections in between U-49 and U-45. They maybe cracked and lose connection after the board warms up. A via is a solder connection from one side of the board to the other. Reflow these and retest.

20181009_010102 (resized).jpg20181009_010102 (resized).jpg20181009_010140 (resized).jpg20181009_010140 (resized).jpg
#130 5 years ago
Quoted from jag8511:

I replaced U49 and that didn't help.

Each chip has a small green filter cap by the notch in the chip labeled "B". Try snipping off the cap for U-49 and see if that helps.

#132 5 years ago

Snipping off a part and removing each lead separately is much easier then trying to remove the part whole. This will save you from causing unnecessary trace damage. This is a filter cap that is connected across the power and ground for each chip on the board and if it is going bad it could be dragging down the 5 volt signal. At this point in the troubleshooting you are going to have try the less commen part failures to fix your problem.

#137 5 years ago
Quoted from jag8511:U49 pins

14- high

So with the cap removed the power on pin 14 is stable at 5 volts?
Did you install a socket for U-49? If so then remove the chip and power on the machine and test all 14 pins again.

#139 5 years ago
Quoted from jag8511:

8- high blinking and making a weird beep
9- low
10- low - high back and forth

These are still issues, can you remove U-45 also and then retest at U-49 socket again.

#141 5 years ago
Quoted from jag8511:

10- blinking between high and low

This is a problem, now that you have U-45 and U-49 removed from the board (1J-18 disconnected) there is only 3 components left that can cause this. C-72, SR-20 and ZR-5. You have replaced SR-20 already so its most likely good. That only leaves ZR-5 and C-72 as the problem. Pick one and cut it off and retest pin 10 on U-49. This needs to be a high.

#143 5 years ago

This is definitely not a run of the mill problem.

#145 5 years ago

Yep.

#148 5 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

because I've been bit by this trying to help troubleshoot something remotely

I know the feeling as it has happened a number of times to me also. It's no big deal, all part of the learning curve.

#150 5 years ago
Quoted from jag8511:

Am I reading correctly?

Yep.

#152 5 years ago
Quoted from jag8511:

I did note that when I first turn on the machine, pin 9 had no reading and then eventually gave me a low reading once the pin was on for a bit.

This is a second issue to work on after pin 10 is corrected.

Quoted from jag8511:

10- high but blinking

Well then cut the cap off and retest.

#154 5 years ago

Yep.

#156 5 years ago

You do have j-18 disconnected while testing?

#158 5 years ago

Lets recap, U-49 not installed. U-45 not installed. 1J18 not installed. Zr-5 and C-72 are removed. So the only component left connected is SR-20 which is just a resistor, the resistor supplies the 5 volts. I suppose if the resistor is heating up and then going open causing the blink, then cooling off and reconnecting and showing a high again. There is nothing left in the circuit to cause it. You just wouldn't think that a new part would act up right away. I have seen resistor packs short and open up but never seen one act like this before.

#165 5 years ago
Quoted from jag8511:

Interestingly enough. On U49 when I first power the machine on I get no reading on pin 9 and a normal high reading on pin 10. As the game warms up, I get a low reading on pin 9 and the high blinking on pin 10.

This is very strange for sure, do you think these are tied together in any way. There shouldn't be any connection with the chip removed.

#168 5 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Out of curiosity, take your logic probe when pin 10 on 49 starts blinking and check:

Both sides of SR20 (pin 1 for the 5V source and pin 7 for the resistor for this circuit...a dot will indicate pin 1)
Pin 1 should be constant high
Pin 7 should be constant high but may be pulsing

The 5 volts for SR -20 can't be the source of the pulsing as it would have showed itself on the other switch inputs, but I am with you on your assessment of this problem. Maybe time for a good pic of the front and back of the board so a bunch of eyes can look it over and see something he has over looked.

#170 5 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

SR20-7 is opening/closing a rapid rate (VERY doubtful)

Yea after I watched the video I too doubt that the resistor is going open and closed (way to fast). I'm betting something under one of the 2 sockets.

1 week later
#179 5 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

I don't see where the 5-6 pair of U56 is even used.

It is used for the enable signal to turn on the flippers and special solenoids, but I don't see how there can be a connection to your issue of the pulsing signal. But again this is a strange issue that your experiencing on your board.

6 months later
#187 4 years ago

Pull all 8 Led bulbs and replace them with incandescent bulbs Do they work correctly now?

#189 4 years ago

Check these diodes.

There also maybe a shorted led in one of the 8 bulbs.

1 week later
#192 4 years ago

Next would be to disconnect the play field from the cpu by removing J-6 and J-7. Make a test rig from a lamp socket and diode, a pair of wires. Put game in single lamp test and stop on 2X bonus. Verify if 2X bonus lamp is working by connecting test rig to J-6 pin 1 and J-7 pin 2. Now move the test rig to J-6 pin 1 and J-7 pin 8, does the bulb flash now?

#194 4 years ago
Quoted from jag8511:

Something like this?

Exactly like this except clips on both wires. Now you don't connect to the lamp bus. You connect to the pins on the CPU board.

2 weeks later
#197 4 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Put game in single lamp test and stop on 2X bonus. Verify if 2X bonus lamp is working by connecting test rig to J-6 pin 1 and J-7 pin 2. Now move the test rig to J-6 pin 1 and J-7 pin 8, does the bulb flash now?

Try this, the 2x lamp should be working but the left outlane bulb should not light. If the left outlane lamp is on then the CPU board has a problem, if its off the there is a play field problem.

#200 4 years ago

Check U-52 pin 11 for a pulsing output with a logic probe. Test Q-53 and 54 with DMM. Check the 3 resistors for the correct ohms. Check R-83 for cracked solder joints.

Q-54 (resized).PNGQ-54 (resized).PNG
3 months later
#210 4 years ago
Quoted from jag8511:

I did install the new 7408 and that didn't solve the issue.

Did you get pulses on pin 11 of U-52 in attract mode? You can compare with pin 6 of U-52. If not then cut the middle lead of Q-53 and recheck for pulses on pin 11 of U-52.

#212 4 years ago

Since it is stuck low, either the resistor or the transistor is bad. Cut the base of the transistor to remove it from acting upon U-52. If it pulses then the transistor is bad, if not the resistor pack is bad.

#215 4 years ago

Doesn't matter.

#216 4 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

More often the case, but is it possible U52 has a bad data channel? Just asking for my own education.

Very likely, but you have to have hope that new parts are good. Even China makes some that work.

#218 4 years ago
Quoted from jag8511:

Pin 11 is now high/low and is pulsing but is pulsing different than pin 6

In attract mode the game is pulsing the lamps in different patterns so the outputs will be slightly different.
U-52 is working now. If its was me, I would replace both the predriver(Q-53) and the driver transistor(Q-54) as a pair.

#220 4 years ago

So this sounds as if the resistor pack SR-17 is working with no load, but stops working when there is a load. Or the new Q-53 is bad just as the old one was. You can test the resistor pack with an ohm meter. Check from pin 1 to 2, from pin 1 to 3 and so on. Pin 1 has a white dot for marking. Each of the 8 resistors in the pack should read 4.7k ohms. These don't go bad very often, but sometimes they fracture internally causing intermittent problems.

#222 4 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Edit/Correction...It was SR16 that was shorted

I have only seen this a couple times. Tested fine in circuit, looked fine too. Fell apart in pieces after removing the solder.

#224 4 years ago
Quoted from jag8511:

Pin 1-2 = 4.70
Pin 1-3 = 4.71
Pin 1-4 = 4.71
Pin 1-5 = 4.70
Pin 1-6 = 4.71
Pin 1-7 = 4.72
Pin 1-8 = 4.71
Pin 1-9 = 4.70
Pin 1-10 = 2.52

If you meter was showing a k behind these numbers then its testing fine. But it can still be bad.
You have changed 2 of the 3 parts that can cause this issue. Sometimes you just have to replace a part to be sure.

1 month later
#230 4 years ago
Quoted from jag8511:

Any other ideas?

Do an ohm test on SR-16.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fargo, ND
$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Kingston, OK
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Lighting - Backbox
Twisted Tokens

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

3,152 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pulaski, PA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider grumpy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbot-help-please-?tu=grumpy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.