So I was getting really close to fixing this with a friend, and now I've hit another wall.
The good news: I have flashers.
The bad news: my MPU Is fried.
Here's what's happened within the last two weeks: I took the game to my friends house who is significantly more experienced than I am when it comes to troubleshooting, testing etc... When we powered it on, we found that I had lost sound as well, later found to be a wire that had come out of the connector (more on this later). We found that three of the flash lamp resistor boards under the playfield needed replaced as well. We wanted to fix everything peripherally before we started looking at possibly sending the board off. So. I've replaced the flasher boards, I now have flashers.
However, after we got those replaced, we reconnected the wire that disconnected from the connector on the sound card... This is where things get weird. Once we reconnected the wire, the game will restart when the game is either started OR during multiball when the solar value jackpot is scored. The switches that are behind the start button and under the ramp are not touching to bare metal or other wires. It happens spontaneously other times but these two events are what trigger it most often. If the wire that disconnected was taken back out or the entire connector was removed, the game did not reset. We tested across the test points to see if we could witness a voltage drop across the boards, to no avail. We decided to take the MPU off and take a look. The photos show what we saw as well.. Capacitor C66 has melted, there is a trace coming off of the board, and Q17 does not look like the original. Looking at the schematic (CPU pg 2 of 4), C66 controls part of the lamp drivers- so this should only affect one row of lights, correct?
So here's an updated problem list:
1. No GI (back glass or playfield) - this resolves if 1J17 is unplugged or of the logic power supply is removed from the power supply, but game will not boot.
3. Coil under the left ramp keeps firing when it should not be during gameplay, but works fine during diagnostic testing
4. Game resets when start button is pressed or during multiball and the solar value jackpot is scored (other times spontaneously, but those two trigger it most often) **most recent issue which prompted me to look more closely at MPU**
4. Left flipper weak (doing a flipper rebuild)
5. Right eyeball kicker stuck in up position (mechanical, not electrical issue, doing a rebuild)
8. Right eyeball lamp will turn off and on during coil tests l (coil will activate, light off, coil deenergized, light turns back on)
Past problems that resolved spontaneously:
1. "Adjust failure" message showing up (replaced batteries, but still happened occasionally, then stopped)
2. Blowing F5 on startup
3. Blowing main power fuse under playfiels on powerup, has since resolved.
Would the components affected by this failure cause the symptoms I'm having? I want to figure this out before I ship this off or splurge on an aftermarket board.
Please help! Do I send this off for repair? Or is this even fixable! Opinions needed please!!