• Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

sys11speech-882.jpg
speechdata.jpg
#1 9 years ago

The issue I am having with my pinbot is a wierd one.
After the machine is on for about an hour I loose the pinbot speech.
All other sounds work fine.
A quick off/on with the power switch and the speech is back.
Another hour passes its gone again.

It comes back every time I switch the machine off then back on.

So far I replaced all the caps on the sound board which has the speech rom on it.
Reflowed all solider. Checked all wires etc going to it.
Also replaced the 69BO9 processor.
And both TDA 2002 transistors. And new heat paste.

Im completely stumped.
Any Ideas?

#2 9 years ago

My pinbot sound gets garbled and scratchy sometimes. I usually power it down and re-seat the ribbon cables and all is well for a while. I should probably replace them.

#3 9 years ago

I figured i would unplug the power jumper going from the mpu to the sound board.
And hit start. This simulates the issues as all othrr sounds are working except speech.

Plug it back in and speech works fine. Now i just have to figure out why its loosing power to the sound board after a hour or so.

Anyone have any ideas?

#4 9 years ago

Replaced the caps on the mpu today.
Problem solved.

So if your pinbot looses speech its not specifically the sound board with the speech rom that is the issue.

#5 9 years ago

So I thought the issue was fixed. Turns out it takes about 3 hours now. But it still has the same issue.

This is driving me crazy!

#6 9 years ago

Are your male and female connectors new?

Sometimes cold solder joints can cause similar symptoms.

#7 9 years ago

All connectors are new. All pins reflowed. No cold solider joints on any connector pins or anywhere else on the boards.
Could it be a bridge issue that is going open.

If I unplug the power going to the soundboard. It simulates the issue I am having where all other sounds work except sppech.

Just seems wierd that as I replace components the time it takes to act up has gotten longer.

But still as soon as I turn the machine off and on the problem goes away for another 2+ hours.

It was about every 1/2 hr.

#8 9 years ago

Bump, just incase anyone has any insight.

#9 9 years ago

Just don't play it longer than 3 hours!

Bump.

#10 9 years ago

The moment it goes off, check your voltage readings on the sound card.

#11 9 years ago

It's likely a problem with one of the other components in the sound/speech mixer on the CPU. Maybe an op amp failing, or it even could be the D/A convertor or PIA ahead of the mixer section. I would lean toward saying it is a digital issue since you can turn it off and back on immediately and the sound returns. If it were a component heating up in the analog section failing, you would have to turn it off, let it cool down for awhile, and then turn it back on to restore the sound.

speechdata.jpgspeechdata.jpg sys11speech-882.jpgsys11speech-882.jpg
#12 9 years ago

Have you replaced the sound rom?

#13 9 years ago

I am wondering if I have a U23 ram error.

Does anyone know what the tone/tones should be on a working pinbot with the cpu sw1 sound test button.
I get what sounds like a scratch and explosion. I cant tell if its one tone or two.

If its two, its working correctly.
If its one I have a ram U23 error.

Just want to know before replacing it.

Any help would be great.

Also how warm does the yamaha ym2151 get on your sound board.
Mine seems a little hot. Going to replace that too.

After I find out what a working test tone should sound like.

1 month later
#14 9 years ago

The problem is fixed. If anyone has this issue it is the cvsd chip on the mpu.

The chip fails evetually under load. Once th machine is rebooted it works for a bit then eventually fails.

Replacing the chip has resolved the issue.

Woo hoo!!

10 months later
#15 8 years ago

Is that a chip that needs to be de- and re-soldered or is it in a socket? I think mine is having the same problem. But it seems like it's more than just speech.

#16 8 years ago

The chip needs to be desoldered. I put in a socket for the new chip so I can swap it out if it ever goes bad again.

If you lose sounds. And turn your machine off and back on and they come back. Then eventually drop off again It is 100% the cvsd chip at U3 on the mpu.

#17 8 years ago

That sounds exactly like my symptoms. I'm on it. Never de soldered, but I'll give it a go. Where do I pick up the replacement chip? Does it need to be programmed?

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

That sounds exactly like my symptoms. I'm on it. Never de soldered, but I'll give it a go. Where do I pick up the replacement chip? Does it need to be programmed?

No its just an off the shelf part. Marco has them. But for cheap. Probably eBay will be your best bet. Unless you post a wanted ad on pinside. Someone might have extras.
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/5370-09691-00

#19 8 years ago

$19 here at http://www.actionpinball.com/parts.php?item=55536 I haven't looked around much since Action Pinball is local. I need to try this too.

1 month later
#20 8 years ago
Quoted from erak:

If you lose sounds. And turn your machine off and back on and they come back. Then eventually drop off again It is 100% the cvsd chip at U3 on the mpu.

So I've replaced this chip and still have the same intermittent sound drop outs. Latest ROM set. Any other ideas?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

3,152 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pulaski, PA
$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

3,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Clovis, CA
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Lighting - Backbox
Twisted Tokens

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Kingston, OK
$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbot-help-needed-any-ideas and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.