Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by pmpr13
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

So last week I rebuilt my flippers. I'm trying to figure out though why my flipper activation switches and flipper EOS switches are arcing. The switches I replaced as part of the rebuild are arcing, which worries me. did the switches in the rebuild actually include the low voltage switches? I am pretty sure I wired them up to the high voltage switches. Please see the enclosed video.

#2 11 years ago

It's hard to tell in the video, did you put capacitors on the flipper assemblies?

Do your flipper switches have capacitors on them?

#3 11 years ago

There is no capacitor across the EOS switches.

#4 11 years ago

Can't tell in the video if you used the correct flipper button points. Looks like high power on the EOS ones.

Which is why you use high power - they arc, and the points last longer - and can be filed flat later.

If your flippers are working good, then you got things right.

Your old points were so burned they probably didn't arc anymore.

LTG : )

#5 11 years ago

I didn't put a capacitor on them. They're not fliptronic flippers, I followed the old flippers as a guide, so I have the same number of parts as before I did the rebuild.

OK, so are they supposed to arc, LTG? I am worried a spark will start a fire under there or something.

#6 11 years ago

They arc. Some games used capacitors on the EOS point to cut down the arcing.

Flipper point arcing won't start a fire.

LTG : )

#7 11 years ago

Yeah, Pinbot has serial coils with no capacitors. Mine arc like crazy... little extra light show when playing in the dark.

#8 11 years ago

If the arcing bothers you, or you burn out a coil at some point, you can switch from the old Series coils to the newer Parallel coils + Capacitor. You can even swap one at a time.

The directions are on page 2 of the flipper rebuilding guide:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-upgradingrebuilding-flippers/page/2

But read the whole thing from the beginning, just to be safe.

5 years later
#9 5 years ago

I know this is an old thread but one related question that I haven't seen answered. Do you need to upgrade to parallel coils in oder to use capacitors to suppress the arcing? Is there something negative that happens if using caps on EOS with serial coils? What type of caps would/should be used? I know the default for other games is 2.2uF 250v axial capacitors and that it is always safe to go up in voltage but how about uF? In this application is it safe to go up to 4.7uF or down to 1uF?

Also similar question for cabinet flipper switch capacitors I know the standard there is .1uf and 500v but is there any leeway there? I have seen someone actually using a capacitor for EOS (2.2uF 250v) on the cabinet flipper switch but not sure if that is actually wise.

FYI: I am looking to add these to a Bally Mr. and Mrs. Pac-man pinball but I suspect the answer will be fairly universal.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

3,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Clovis, CA
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Lighting - Backbox
Twisted Tokens

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
2,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fargo, ND
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbot-flipper-and-eos-switches-arcing and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.