20240112_135811 (resized).jpg
IMG_5901 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5902 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7922 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7923 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7921 (resized).jpeg
541EBD6A-2CA4-43E0-AB4B-B18C7FF31AF0 (resized).jpeg
Pinside_forum_7003307_0 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider slochar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4266 3 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

What is the best ROM to install in pinbot? I’ve heard of a newer version that helps with tournament play? Is this true?

Yes, there are about 6 versions at last count. IPDB has the fixed solar value reset to 500k, solar advance 250k one posted.
PAPA used one in the past that capped the solar value at 100k (because you can keep collecting it in multiball).
There is one that sets the solar value to 750k.
There is one that lets you start a solar value at whatever level you like for each player, then it resets after collection to another whatever value you like. This one lets you set the energy values and tweak other values as well. (This one reports as T-6)
There's a couple more that didn't really go farther than the forum where this was discussed that I'm likely forgetting since they were just different values.

Pinbot was one of the most commonly modified games on the defunct pinhacks.com because it was so easy to find the jackpot code (High speed, as well).

As soon as my video camera memory card arrives I'll shoot a video of some of the changes in T-6 and possibly the one that idealjoker was referencing with gameplay changes as well.

1 week later
#4276 3 years ago

List of options in pinbot L-6 tournament rom

#4277 3 years ago

Gameplay/description of the PEMBOT mod described by idealjoker

Gameplay starts at 6:30
Description at beginning

3 months later
#4347 3 years ago
Quoted from Toine79:

I thought that only the 4 eyes flashers were 24V?
Thanks for any advice.

Someone might have put the wrong bulbs in there or did it on purpose as the sun insert was subject to meltdown if locked on.

They would have had to have swapped a bit of power wiring to do this so look for capped off +24v wires or even soldered/heat shrunk wiring if they continued the chain that way.

#4350 3 years ago
Quoted from Toine79:

I assume I can also test it with DMM in an empt socket?

Yes

1 month later
#4462 3 years ago
Quoted from Tomass:

What is the price on these?

http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=SRCH

put in "pinbot vortex" for search.

59$ bare and 79$ with decal sheet and either flap installed.

1 month later
#4485 3 years ago

the limit switches aren't registering if the game doesn't see 'closed' for the visor it assumes it's open so it's cycling it until it sees closed.

1 week later
#4513 3 years ago
Quoted from MoSeS_1592:

Also looking for the little clear plastic with the rocket ship decal that goes over the bottom of the vortex ramp.

http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PPS-B-11407

Doesn't have the brackets so you'd have to make some.

1 month later
#4600 3 years ago
Quoted from Vin-bot:

I wonder, did all original Pinbot’s came without a center post or did some of original ones came with a center post?

Center post is shown in the flyer so it's likely that all games were supposed to come with them.

2 months later
#4723 2 years ago
Quoted from bigjimm64:

Does anyone else’s Pinbot male this annoying sound after the power has breen on for about 15 minutes? I assume it’s probably a capacitor needing replacement.

That's really common on this era of system 11 games.

No fix AFAIK unless someone came up with something, they didn't really worry about this type of thing back then on commercial equipment. It gets louder and softer because of the high voltage displays (although it would be interesting to see if it does it with LED replacements)

#4729 2 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Could be time to replace the caps on the power board, sound board, and the sound section of the MPU. You can so them one at a time to see which one helps clear up most of the noise.

System 11 games did this when they were new. There's zero shielding on the audio wires.

3 weeks later
#4764 2 years ago
Quoted from sethbenjamin:

Don’t try to bend the flap, for goodness’ sake!

This would make the ramp become a ski jump!!

#4766 2 years ago
Quoted from Chnillapoil:

I bent mine on a cylinder and no jump at all. I said to bend gently.
Anyway the ramp is too light and there is no other adjustments I can see.

I guess if you're bending down to make up for ramp not going low enough it would be different. Bending it the other way causes the ski jump effect.

The ramp gets out of adjustment from worn parts usually, or binding in the coil area.

3 weeks later
#4817 2 years ago

Yeah, people in a production environment aren't going to fool around with toothpicks. They're setting them up as quick as they can, and the pins up is the best way.

In home environment when you have time to play around, different story of course. I don't see any harm in leaving them up, if you want to do it that way.

2 months later
#4883 2 years ago

the left eye socket is on the special solenoid circuit so maybe it's blowing there because of an issue there... do all your pops and slings work correctly in the game?

1 month later
#4992 2 years ago
Quoted from JCO25:

Update: I think this is a CPU thing. The drop targets near the ramp of Pinbot: Once you complete a cycle, they continually go up and down without resetting properly. I tested them last night and when I turned on the game (first 2-3 times) drop targets were acting fine. Second time I turn game on, the drop targets continually go up and down. Is this a CPU thing?

No, it's more likely to be a mechanical issue. The pulse from the CPU is going to be the same. If your line voltage/solenoid voltage is low it could be electrical. If the targets are gummed up they won't reset properly.

Since they never make it all the way up, they fall again, triggering the switches, causing it to try and reset it again. Repeat.

#5001 2 years ago
Quoted from denzo:

Dear Pinbot owners,
Finally I got the L5 solar value reset mod. Replaced and working fine, but have one question;
The starting value is 500.000, and the minimum advance is 250.000, even if I set it to 25.000. Is it a known error or am I miss something somewhere? Also, the starting value is too much.

Not an error just poor choices on the modifiers part. There are at least six different Pinbot tournament roms in existence and that one is the worst choice IMO.

#5013 2 years ago

Flaked graphite was the only thing I ever read on that from the manufacturers' and it was likely not in conjunction with drop targets, but I don't remember for sure.

If drops don't work 'dry' there's something wrong.

1 month later
#5054 2 years ago
Quoted from PatWoodrailLVR:

I just bought my first Pinbot and brought it home today. After a few things I got it playing as I wanted to give it a try before tearing it down to shop. Funny thing is this machine is German. The manufacturers label is all in german the game display is all german. I can go in and switch to English language but whenever I power the machine down it reverts to German. What do I need? Does this need a new ROM of some sorts? Even when in English I can't find out where to load English. It has 4 or 5 things to "load German" but nothing English.. Factory Reset is all German.

Hey pinneighbor (glenside here):

Likely the jumper on the mpu board is missing so it's defaulting to german.

From pinwiki.com:

W7 - Language Select Jumper

W7 is used only in games up to Cyclone. Games with 16 digit alphanumeric displays do not use this jumper. If installed, the game automatically reverts to English after losing the content of the RAM. If a different language is preferred, the "adjustments" menu provides an option to change the default language. Only a few early System 11 game ROMs contained multiple languages. For these games, if W7 is removed, the game generally defaults to German text.

Later System 11 games used language specific ROMs at U26 and U27.

2 months later
#5161 2 years ago
Quoted from Tmendo:

Just wondering if anyone makes a replacement circular orange runway for the Pinbot game.
Thanks.

The spiral ramp in the corner has been reproduced and is available at Planetary Pinball and other major suppliers like Marco spec, etc.

1 week later
#5169 2 years ago
Quoted from metalkatt:

It could be the plug that associated with those coils could be trouble too.

This is more likely as the solenoids aren't a matrix. The switch matrix is only for scoring on special solenoids.

The activation switch grounds the inputs to the logic chips which fire these. The solenoid test activates them through a different circuit path.

Check for solenoid voltage on the coils in question. I think you'll find it missing.

#5172 2 years ago
Quoted from jjga:

I don’t know how to check voltage to the coil. I found videos of checking resistance (mine were ok). I also checked continuity to the power supply board and to to the J19 pin on the CPU board and that was OK on all of them.
I tried the Switch Edges test tonight and the switches noted here don't register when pressed. For the jets, it's the trigger/skirt switch that doesn't register. Pressing the ring down that hits the ball does register.
[quoted image]

Voltage set meter to DC positive lead to lug of solenoid doesn't matter which and negative lead on the side rail.

The activation switches are not part of the matrix. The score switches are. Go to pinwiki and read up on special solenoids.

#5186 2 years ago
Quoted from DanielM:

Hello Pinbot club! Anyone encountered an issue with the solar value ramp? Mine suddenly started lifting up and down randomly then after four or five times going up and down most of the time settles back down and functions (relatively) normally. Cold solder joint somewhere maybe? If you have had this happen, please let me know where to look to trouble shoot. Thanks!
DanielM

Don't overthink it. Switch needs adjustment or is flat worn out and needs replacement. That's your first step. Then you start looking for other things.... next up would be to make sure some other switch in the matrix isn't reading as that switch. That's tougher because it might be a strange combination of other switches that cause it to pop up.

If it happens again leave the machine in the state it's in (ie. balls whereever they are) and go into switch level test, see what switches are showing closed, and make sure they are all actually closed (and any closed switches that aren't showing, investigate why)

2 weeks later
#5201 2 years ago
Quoted from MydknyteStyrm:

I’m going to replace Q49 and resolder the burned areas of Q42 and Q46 but is there anything else recommended?

Clean all the crusty flux off the board.

I don't know if anyone has come up with the mosfet swap for system 11 to get rid of the hot lamp resistors, but them being hot is normal for the darlingtons that are stock. It's a pretty big design choice for williams from system 3-11 - probably was felt it was good enough for the expected commercial life of the machines.

I haven't done any tests but I've often wondered if the resistors will still get hot with LEDs in the game.

#5203 2 years ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

Makes no difference if you use LEDs or incandescents in the controlled lamps. The current dissipated through the 27 Ohm resistors is driving the base of the TIP42 and is not passing through the collector/emitter of the TIP42. That's my understanding of the circuit. I am fairly sure that you already know this.

I suspected it but I didn't want to state for sure unless I was 100% on it. I have really moved away from fooling around with the boardsets in my games though, they all work right now and I've found that I've lost the patience for that kind of work lately (well, last 5-6 years for sure....)

Oddly, I don't mind building new boards though. That's satisfying.

#5206 2 years ago

5 ohm 10 watt (bigger)
330 ohm 7 watt (shorter)

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#5209 2 years ago
Quoted from MoSeS_1592:

Regarding the warming resistors, the incandescent flashers should technically still work without them but will just flash much more dim since the filaments are cold, correct?
I have all but one of the 5 ohm resistors on hand but have an excess of the 330 ohm. Would putting a 330 in place of one of the 5 ohms have any serious consequences or simply not heat one of the bulbs all the way?

The 330 ohm one is the warming resistor - see the circuit diagram shows the +solenoid voltage, going through the bulbs, then through the 330 ohm to ground. So that's on all the time.

The 5 ohm one is likely to add a slight load to the solenoid driver transistor. It will also limit the inrush current I'd think but don't quote me on that. G-P-E or GRUMPY would know this better than I would. Personally I'd wait until you get the correct resistors, or if you have other 10 watt ones that are much lower resistance probably ok to use one of those temporarily. It might even blow the flashers instantly without it - the bulbs are 12 volt in series will take 24v- so sending the normal solenoid voltage of 28v through them is already over their limit. It does it so short which is why they don't blow in normal usage (also the pre-warming).

1 week later
#5227 2 years ago
Quoted from MydknyteStyrm:

The four alphanumerics on my Backglass don’t line up with the artwork of the translite. Looking at the components, they don’t look even, but they line up with the holes in the wood. Is there something I can do to realign it?
[quoted image]

The door might be sagging if it's not what GRUMPY says.

2 weeks later
#5258 2 years ago
Quoted from Duramadmax:

When I start the pin up, I get considerable hum out the speakers. No change when changing the volume via the pot either. I checked to make sure that all boards including the sound board had all the screws in place to avoid the dreaded ground loop problem

System 11 some hum is normal. Having the screws in place will cause a ground loop you need to isolate the board from the mounting brackets to combat that.

#5266 2 years ago
Quoted from someotherguy:

Same here; all my system 11 games over the years taught me that all mounting screws in place, and tight, cuts the hum down significantly in almost all cases. I was a bit confused by slochar 's statement contrary to that.

Didn't say that unbonding it from the ground eliminated the hum, but it's a way to eliminate a ground loop. That's if the hum is caused by that; on Bally games it often is. When I used to work on car stereos ground loops were a huge problem, and the solution was to have all the grounds at the same point.

5 months later
#5383 1 year ago
Quoted from dr_spidey:

All the switches go out together. then they all start working again
Plus I just cleaned everything during the swap

Is it the special solenoid activation switches that fail or all the scoring switches? Activation switches don't show in switch test only scoring switches do. If activation trace back your ground for them and make sure it's got a good ground. If scoring same thing but trace back the column drive. Common for a wire to get fatigued and make-break continuity but still seem whole.

1 month later
#5471 1 year ago
Quoted from Cariba:

Yes I am interested in the PEMBOT ROM, sorry but Newb question, how is exactly that ROM changed? is there a connection to the board and software used?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pembot-no-relation/

#5506 1 year ago

It still cuts off unless you have pembot or the tournament ROM.

#5515 1 year ago
Quoted from Cariba:

All,
is it still recommended to add fuses on the bridge rectifiers in the back box?
Thanks,

Yes or the bridge board.

#5516 1 year ago
Quoted from Vin-bot:

These are actually the hardest game settings (see image).. as I said, the only adjustment I made was to change planets memory to yes.

I can check later but I'm pretty sure the auto adjust code isn't bound by the manual adjustment so it could get shorter until your percentage drops below the setting.

#5528 1 year ago
Quoted from metalkatt:

Since I had the board out, I installed the NVRAM. So, I reinstalled my board back into my game, and that’s when the gremlins arrived….

I'd look for a bad connection in anything that got touched when you (presumably) pulled the non-socketed ram out. A hairline solder crack/broken trace/sneak short. Any previous battery leakage anywhere on the board that might be hidden? Also, maybe your nvram is flaky, do you have any other ram to swap in (either nvram or regular)?

#5537 1 year ago

Do an install factory to clear everything out.

1 month later
#5631 1 year ago

I've found over the years that nothing makes me get bored of a game more than if it's way too easy. It's why I used to churn through a game in 2-3 months and swap it for something else. Loose or no tilts, everything set either factory or easier. Boring.

Now I set everything up like it's at a tournament. The casual people who play don't notice (they don't shake) and they don't know the settings. Keeps the ball times really low and the interest/challenge levels high.

1 week later
#5634 1 year ago

That's not a resistor it's a diode. It's required. It's a 1n4004 diode. All switches in a switch matrix need them although they are left off of coin switches sometimes (which is bad if the switch gets stuck on)

Some switches will have a resistor and capacitor on them, those are the special activation switches on the pops and slings.

#5636 1 year ago
Quoted from Cariba:

Ah ok, I understand now, one way voltage switch. ok
Ill replace this asap...do you happen to know what type of diodes are used on the flippers? I'm getting flickering on some LED flashers, I believe the flipper diode needs to be replaced?
I'll check manual too...
Thanks!

1n4004 also but you can just get 1n4007's they will all work (higher voltage capacity)

1 month later
#5742 1 year ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Rules question:
Been playing pinbot a lot lately and wondering if the bonus multiplier will apply to the jackpot if won?
Anyone know?

No, pf doubled score is for everything except the jackpot

#5744 1 year ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Darn.
Be cool if it applied to jackpots.

Since you can only get the jackpot while the score is doubled anyway doubling it would be kind of meaningless. Now, if you could double it by hitting it in a grace period when you lose one ball that would be worth it.

#5748 1 year ago
Quoted from Cariba:

...and so would you say not to bother trying to change the direction of the angled metal bracket above the hole?

I wouldn't. That's there more to dampen the ball going into the eye and directing it down.

1 week later
#5764 1 year ago
Quoted from Skidave:

I'm at 6.5 and I have a problem where the balls bounce out of the eye sockets on a strong shot.

The brackets need some adjustments, they are likely too close to the saucers. You can either bend them up a little bit or move them back.

1 week later
#5773 1 year ago
Quoted from Tux:

Has anyone done the "reduce display voltage to 91 volts" mod on a game with a Rotten Dog power supply installed? I'd like to do it to my Pin*Bot, but can't find any information on how the process would differ with an aftermarket power supply.

That's going to depend on how they are regulating the +/- 100vdc on the display. If they are using the Zeners like the original boards did, you do it the same way. Look at the schematics to see.

edit, schematics:
http://www.rottendog.us/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/DPS005.pdf

Totally different way of regulating (and maybe an error on schematics, as they show -100v and -110v....)

https://www.homemade-circuits.com/how-ic-lm337-works-datasheet-application-circuits/ explains how the values are set. If you look at that page it seems like the max voltage it's supposed to handle is -37 volts, so RD is driving it way out of spec?

You might just want to live with it. Or if/when your displays finally bite the dust, just get LED replacements.

EDIT (again)....

So, the +68v output I originally thought was solenoid voltage is likely the other display voltage, so the voltage swing looks like it's designed to be 168 volts, or 178 volts, so no need to do the mod.

3 months later
#5873 9 months ago
Quoted from AlexRogan84:

FL-11630 Red - The standard, most commonly used coil

This is what you would install to get the equivalent strength to the series wound it would have originally had

629's are too strong for pinbot.

A lot of people/operators only stocked 629's to make it easier for parts availability

1 week later
#5884 8 months ago
Quoted from MoSeS_1592:

If you reach the sun and light special it flashes and if you don't attain it on that ball then the chance doesn't normally carry over to the next ball. However, once in a while the special lamp lights solid at the end of the ball if it's not attained and the chance to achieve the special remains available the rest of the game. Why is this? How do you enable the special to carry over to next ball if not attained?

That sounds like chance, if the ball happened to drain right as it was off the state would be lost. That would need to be fixed in the code if so.

#5886 8 months ago
Quoted from AlexRogan84:

That sounds like a setting in the menu. One with “memory” to keep your progress from one ball to the next. The harder the settings, the less the things you’ve earned stay where they were when you drain.

setting 34 is this (planets memory) - but it shouldn't operate randomly for the sun if it's set to carry over the progress.
MoSeS_1592 can you confirm a way to always get/not get it?

3 weeks later
#5897 8 months ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Odd thing is, that even when i push closed the white security button for the door (with door still open), the kicker still goes off until the door is actually shut.

That's a memory protect on that game, not a power cutoff like the newer games did.

Remove the ball trough switch and let it hang down does it still do it?
Go into test mode, the trough shouldn't fire there even if the trough is closed.

#5917 8 months ago

Can you rotate the right flipper base at all? That might give you clearance.

1 week later
#5941 7 months ago
Quoted from TronGuy:

It may seem simple and stupid but I don't want to break anything. What is the trick to pull the flipper bats, and the ball plunger (shooter rod)?
thankyou,

Shooter rod pull the c/e clip off the end with pliers while holding the spring back. Then it just comes out.

Flipper bats loosen the pawl clamp and pull the flipper straight up. Can tap the shaft lightly with a hammer to get it started out of the clamp.

6 months later
#6046 36 days ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Man. I love the original ruleset though.
Is there a link to how the code is different?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pembot-no-relation

Message 4

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
3,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Clovis, CA
$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,152 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pulaski, PA
4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Kingston, OK
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Lighting - Backbox
Twisted Tokens

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider slochar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbot-fans-and-owners-club?tu=slochar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.