20240112_135811 (resized).jpg
IMG_5901 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5902 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7922 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7923 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7921 (resized).jpeg
541EBD6A-2CA4-43E0-AB4B-B18C7FF31AF0 (resized).jpeg
Pinside_forum_7003307_0 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robotworkshop.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1558 6 years ago

If the post is snapped you may just be able to push out the T-nut and install a new one without doing any drilling.

#1561 6 years ago
Quoted from Yesh23:

I turned my Pinbot on and all the gi lights are on and the backbox but it's not booting or anything on the displays. Can anyone point me to what could be the problem and where to look?

#1562 6 years ago

Do you have the manual for the machine? If not you should be able to download it from ipdb.org

If you have the backbox open what are the three leds showing? One of the first things I'd check is for proper power. Also is there any battery damage on the CPU board?

2 weeks later
#1617 6 years ago

Does anyone know who carries the plastic .25 coin mechs and the black plastic bracket used to hold them in place on the Pinbot coin door? It looks like the assembly is made by Wico. I have a couple spare metal coin mechs but I don't know if they will work. If they would then I just need the plastic brackets that hold them on. They have been missing since I got the machine (over 18 years) and I'd really like to complete it.

#1642 6 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Does anyone know who carries the plastic .25 coin mechs and the black plastic bracket used to hold them in place on the Pinbot coin door? It looks like the assembly is made by Wico. I have a couple spare metal coin mechs but I don't know if they will work. If they would then I just need the plastic brackets that hold them on. They have been missing since I got the machine (over 18 years) and I'd really like to complete it.

Here is a picture I found in another thread that shows the brackets and the plastic coin mechs. I'm not sure if you can use the metal mechs instead. Anyone have a part # or source for the brackets?

IMG_0421 (resized).JPGIMG_0421 (resized).JPG

#1644 6 years ago

I looked through the parts at the link but so far I can't seem to find a correct match for the wico brackets on the pinbot door. I'd be fine with good used brackets and coin mechs if someone is parting out a pinbot machine.

#1650 6 years ago

Does anyone have a spare lane guide for the left side rear of the lights extra ball lane? I just found out that mine is missing and someone made a temporary version that blocks a light. I'd like to put the correct one on if I can find one.

#1657 6 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

I looked through the parts at the link but so far I can't seem to find a correct match for the wico brackets on the pinbot door. I'd be fine with good used brackets and coin mechs if someone is parting out a pinbot machine.

It looks like this is the bracket for the pinbot coin door..

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/15-808600

Anyone know of an alternate source?

1 month later
#1713 6 years ago

Does anyone have the disassembled ROM code for Pinbot or other system 11 games. That and a memory/port maps would help either patching the ROMs

1 week later
#1732 6 years ago

I'm looking for the two plastic coin mechs and the two retaining brackets that hold them in place on the pinbot coin door.

#1736 6 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

OUCH! That was Wico's design. Good luck.

It seems a bit odd compared to others. Just hope that if someone parts out a machine I can purchase these parts or the whole door if needed.

3 weeks later
#1808 6 years ago
Quoted from jmountjoy111:

No it has all stock boards

I will double check the solder joints and the connectors on the soundboard tomorrow. Thanks

What ROM images are you using? If you have the latest version off the IPDB or just about any site then you will have missing sound or speech since one of the ROM images is corrupt. The separate image to fix that bad chip is on the IPDB site. I have an old thread that talked about the issue.

4 months later
#2033 6 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

That shiny bracket that is stuck to your large blue playfield plastic, is usually missing on most PinBots. It protects the ramp lift from air balls.

I'm surprised that someone like cliffy or otherwise hasn't reproduced that bracket. It is a simple piece and it is missing on a lot of machines.

#2038 6 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Just thought I'd mention here that I am working on a mold for the main Pinbot ramp. Will be available in clear, transparent blue or transparent turquois...or red is someone wanted that. I have started a list for anyone interested.
I also plan on making the lift ramp as well.

Any chance you could thermo form and make reproduction toppers for Pinbot? Mine is ok but I think there are quite a few others that need them.

1 week later
#2061 6 years ago
Quoted from chaskett:

Hey all! The three kickout plastics are white. What color should they be? I have see red for the eyes in some pictures

All the kick out plastics on mine were red. I think they were original. Since they were cracked I just replaced them. While I was at it I took apart and cleaned the kick out assembly for all three. I was surprised they were working but now I won't have to worry about again for a long time either.

#2107 6 years ago

My Pinbot had a red spring in it and I thought it could break the glass when guests would first play it and automatically pull the shooter rod all the way back. Went to a blue spring and it is perfect. If a blue spring isn't enough then maybe the shooter rod needs a new sleeve or is out of alignment.

#2128 6 years ago
Quoted from henrydwh:

chrispink25 Pretty sure that nail is not factory! I can't believe I never noticed that before! But this is the first time I have had the apron off. Bent the metal in a little seems to have cured the problem. Thanks for your help!!!

I don't think I've seen another Pinbot with a nail like that. WTF were they thinking? You need to add those pictures to this thread:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/worst-hackrepair-you-ever-saw

3 weeks later
#2258 6 years ago
Quoted from metalkatt:

New to the club as I just got a Pinbot. Anyone have a good fix to the lifting pin setup that lifts the ramp, or know of anyone that makes or sells them? Mine had a broken pin so the arm works but no pin attached to raise/lower the clear ramp.....

This part?

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/02-4268

1 week later
#2299 6 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

I'm cleaning up my blue ramp and it's discolored in spots to a greenish-blue, likely from exposure to sunlight because it's on the same right-hand side of everything. Polishing isn't removing it so I'm guessing that nothing's going to bring it back to the proper blue, unless there's something one of you other Pinbot owners knows that I don't.........?

It may be possible to clean it up with retro bright. I've heard people have had great results with the plastics for old computer cases. Worth trying on an old broken ramp first to see if it really works.

1 month later
#2390 6 years ago

Is the STL file available or is this up on Thingiverse?

2 weeks later
#2430 5 years ago
Quoted from metalkatt:

I've been dealing with dimmer scoreboards since I bought my pinbot, and didn't notice it until I played one at a arcade. I even replaced the old ones with LED score boards, but still somewhat dim. I'm getting 97 volts+ at the boards. So, I recapped the power board.... still no resolve. Wonder if I'm in need of those resistors, too?.....

Has your board been modified with replacement zener diodes to drop the voltage? If your displays are in good shape that is done to increase the life of the displays. I did that on mine and they are still bright enough.

#2433 5 years ago

I missed the part about them from being LED displays. I'd reach out to the people that make the Xpin displays and see what they say.

3 weeks later
#2457 5 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

Working on a dead Pinbot. So far I have it up and running. My last issue is with the sound test. I have background music and the music test works. How many sounds are in the sound test and is there a voice on the game?

If you (or a previous owner) happened to burn the latest ROM set off the IPDB.org site then you'll be missing sounds. One of the sound ROM's is corrupt out there. In the list is another ROM image for that chip with the good image on it. I went around troubleshooting speech issues that were caused by that bad ROM image.

2 months later
#2564 5 years ago
Quoted from Muskie82:

So looking a few things over to restore my pinbot. Noticed these hinges and the plywood for the neck of the backbox. I'm pretty certain that it is not original and was repaired at some point. Can anyone confirm the hinges and plywood. Maybe have a picture of what the hinges are suppose to be for this game?Thanks!
[quoted image][quoted image]

I'd have to take a look at mine after work to confirm the hinges but those don't jump out as wrong. It does look like the wood for the neck and base of the neck are not correct don't look like a good choice of lumber. I'd redo that section for sure.

Just ignore the image. Im not sure how that got attached and the editor doesn't seem to let me delete it. If anyone knows a way to remove them from a post please let me know.

FuseUpgrade (resized).jpgFuseUpgrade (resized).jpg
#2592 5 years ago
Quoted from Strummy:

Energy flasher issue:
Only 2 out of the four flashers are working. I believe that I found the resistor that is the issue because when I wiggle it all 4 flashers work. It appears that a larger resistor was replaced in place of the original (I believe this only because of the outline on the circuit board being smaller than the actual resistor that is in this spot). It looks like a 330 ohm 10 watt is in place of a 330ohm 7 watt. How much might this matter?

Using a higher wattage resistor should be fine, just not a smaller one. I think you answered your own question. When you wiggle it then it works. Poor soldering and poor repair. Just re soldering may fix it.

2 weeks later
#2670 5 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Does anyone else have trouble getting the blue ramp exit switch to activate consistently? The switch is clean and gapped correctly and works when I use my finger every time. I'm thinking I need to maybe adjust the wire which sticks up through the ramp. Maybe bend it out towards the outer sidewall of the ramp.

Can you test with a ball in several places like in the center and sides of the ramp as it goes over the switch. I've always heard that can be a better test.

1 week later
#2695 5 years ago
Quoted from Tomass:

I am making the trip on Saturday to pick it up. Money is already in her hand and I have a receipt. Just 6 hrs each way and I am in the club. Gonna combine with a Caribou hunt so now it is more like 6 hours out of my way.

Good luck with the pickup. It is a great machine and I think the high score music is the best of any pinball machine.

#2709 5 years ago
Quoted from Tomass:

Haha! Yeah for real. I will need to replace that door. It had plexi but I ripped it off and handed it to her. Wondering if that board is worth saving or not. Gonna try I imagine.

Totally worth saving that board. I've fixed worse. I would use the small side cutters to just clip all the leads on the two PIS chips then carefully warm each pin to pull out and then use the desoldering station to clean out the holes. Neutralize the alkali damage then some work with to clean off the old solder, etc. Repair any traces and put in a couple sockets for the PIA's.

You did well on that machine. Some touch ups and coin door should fix the cabinet. That playfield will clean up, and you'll have fun with it. My Pinbot was my first machine and I've had it for about 19 years. No plans on parting with it.

#2711 5 years ago
Quoted from Billc479:

Nice looking machine. I think it was well worth the long trip. All parts, with maybe the exception of the red ramp, are obtainable. (If you find a source for a red ramp with the decals, let me know. Mine is broken at the same spot.)

If you can't find the red one there are some black ones floating around for the Jackbot that will work and don't look bad on the machine.

#2723 5 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

I would just clean that area up with water/vinegar.

Problem is you can't easily clean under the IC and see what damage is there. The PIA chips aren't that expensive and if you want to ensure you deal with all the battery damage it is easier to cut off those chips, clean, put in sockets and new chips. I'd rather sacrifice an easy to source chip than damage the board. If you couldn't get the chips I'd understand but I'd rather ensure I get it done the first time. I've found lots of crud under chips I've taken off before.

#2731 5 years ago
Quoted from Tomass:

Ok. I will clean it up tomorrow and see what it looks like with the solder removed.

Remove the pins and as much of the solder first. You may need to add fresh solder in order to remove each pin. Then use a de soldering tool to clean out the solder. Sometimes I've had to use a small exacto to carefully scrape off some of the pads. A fiberglass pen also helps clean things up.

#2735 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballplusMN:

Mn had one of the first test pinbots on location in 1986. The game had a womans voice that said "you got lucky" when the solar value ramp was hit.
In 1998 or so I ran into this same game and the operator made a copy of the extra sound chip for me to put in my game prior to selling in our store.It seems this phrase was on one chip on the sound board.
In production the chip was not used to save costs thus the quote was not in production games.
Simply adding the eeprom enabled the extra quote which was cool. If i ever run into the game again i will get a copy to post here.

I'm surprised no one has discovered and posted that ROM image before. As I recall there are normally 5 ROM images for Pinbot. One is U4 for the sound card, two are the game ROM's (U26, U27), and two on the CPU for sound (U21, U22). In the latest L-5 set the image for U22 is corrupt but someone posted the correct U22 image separately.

I did just look at all the images posted on the IPDB.ORG site and in the L-5 set there is an additional U19 ROM image for the sound board. It isn't on my machine and I wonder if that is the mystery ROM with that other quote. I think I may have tried it once when troubleshooting that corrupt U22 image for missing sounds. It didn't do anything but I may have never hit that solar ramp. I'm going to have to burn one of those and try it my machine.

That will be awesome if it works and will add to the game. Now I know what to try and test for. If it works it will explain what that U19 image is for.

#2736 5 years ago

I just looked at that image for (32K) U19 image and only the first 2K is used. The rest is all 0's. That could be enough for one quick phrase.

#2747 5 years ago

I'm still looking for a good pair of the plastic .25 coin mechs and the two plastic retainers that hold them onto the Wico coin door. Think those are the last pieces I need to finish my game.

4 weeks later
#2807 5 years ago
Quoted from Tomass:

Hello, can anyone give me an estimate for buying a coin door for a Pinbot? I want to have an idea before posting a want ad. Something in need of resto is fine. Posting is sys 11 club too.

If you end up getting an extra I need the two plastic retaining clips for the coin mechs.

1 week later
#2812 5 years ago
Quoted from Yesh23:

Is anyone making reproduction spiral ramps?
Also, I just picked up a 2nd Pinbot and the background music is from Space Station. Could anyone help me as to what ROM I need to switch out? I see there's 2 on the MPU but they're labeled Pinbot and I do get the Pinbot vocal sounds/etc. It's just the background music.

Can you post pictures of the ROM's on your MPU board and also the sound card?

2 weeks later
#2846 5 years ago
Quoted from PapaRyanFresh:

I inherited a Pinbot in May, and with moving from IN to VA, I'm just now able to get it running smoothly. I have experience working on electronics, which is helpful. This weekend I fixed a few of the easy problems and only really have a couple issues to iron out. My Left Eye Reject tends to stick and think there is a ball still in place, and my Top Jet Bumper only engages intermittently. Other than that its all cosmetic! Where is the best place to order parts for these machines?
I am already loving his addiction!
[quoted image]

You may want to pull apart the mechanism for the eye ejects and clean them. Mine were so gummed up I was surprised they worked. After a good cleaning they work great now.

#2859 5 years ago
Quoted from PapaRyanFresh:

They reset after a bit, but if I lock in, especially the left eye, it doesn't reset right away, and sometimes not at all. It fires perfectly, it just won't recoil once it's fired.

I'd take them apart to clean them. The pivotbpoint could be gummed up so much and binding that it won't reset.

1 week later
#2868 5 years ago
Quoted from Tomass:

I am getting a U38 pia failure after repairing battery damage. This was not an ic that looked damaged but I swapped it due to the error. It is still giving u38 pia failure. Everything seems to meter out. Is there something that will throw this pia out of spec or something else I can test to trace the problem down? Thanks

I'd double and triple check all the traces to that chip and also look for solder bridges. I've seen cases where a component was removed that pulled out the through hole plating. Ends up with an open on the top side.

1 week later
#2904 5 years ago

Any battery damage to the MPU board?

1 month later
#3044 5 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

If it needs the coin mechs to function you will need to talk to someone who runs a route as I am not sure what brand of door that is. But for sure you will need two coin mechs and two coin switches at a minimum.

It is a Wico coin door. I've been looking for a set of the plastic retainers and coin mechs for mine too. I think the coin mechs are standard but even after years of searching on and off I still haven't found the retainers to hold them in place.

#3048 5 years ago

If anyone does happen to have the plastic retainers for the Pinbot coin door I would be interested in buying them. I've had my Pinbot for nearly 20 years now and it would be awesome to finally put the finishing touches on it.....

4 weeks later
#3262 5 years ago
Quoted from lecter:

Hi, I'm still concidering buying the PINBOT. One guy told me that I would be bored playing it quickly. Do you think the rules are not complicated enough and I would really have small hours of fun?

I've had mine for 20 years and it still sees a lot of use. It is a fun game. Sound, music, and lighting fit perfectly together. I've found that games don't need to be overly complicated or have a huge depth of rules to be fun. They just need to play well and this particular game does.

I'd recommend playing one in person if you can and assuming it is a good working example a few games to get a feel for it, Best not to judge a game on one that isn't adjusted or working right since that can make a huge difference.

There should be plenty of YouTube videos you can view and checkout reviews on pinside and on ipdb.org to help you decide.

Ultimately it is up to you and what you like.

2 weeks later
#3309 5 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

I would try replacing the PIA... is my guess, put in a socket first. That is from memory without looking at scat... when I locate my scats I can take a closer look.

Before replacing the PIA you may want to get Leon's test rom and use a logic probe. If you power up the board on the bench that rom will exercise the outputs of the PIA chips. If they are working follow the signal all the way out to the connector. If it is working you'll save the hassle of removing the soldered in PIA chip if it is ok.

1 month later
#3471 5 years ago

Does anyone have an extra set of the plastic retaining clips that hold the coin mechs in place for the Pinbot wico coin door? I'd also like to find a good pair of the original style plastic mechs. I'd like to finish my machine off someday.

#3478 5 years ago

Unfortunately they've always shown out of stock when I check:

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/15-808600

I need two (new or used) someone has to have some.

1 month later
#3591 4 years ago
Quoted from lecter:

Can you write for me what kind od device there is on the photo? Is it necessary for working the machine properly? I've no idea why someone cut the cables.
[quoted image]

That is a large filter capacitor to smooth out the power. Did they add another one somewhere else? Can you post more pictures of the electronics in the backbox?

1 week later
#3625 4 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Guys just installed Cliffys inlane guides. They’re kick ass!
Eliminated the ball hop from inlane to flipper.
Recommended!!

Pictures?

#3626 4 years ago

I thought it would be worth asking once more time. Anyone happen to have a pair of the plastic retainers to hold in the coin mechs? I believe they are specific to the WICO door used on Pinbot. I need two in order to install my coin mechs. I'd like to buy a pair but would be willing to trade parts or repair work for them.

If you have some please send me a PM.

#3656 4 years ago

Are you saying you are running a Rottendog replacement system 11 board and having problems with that? I thought those weren't recommended for Pinbot. Or, do you have a real Williams board and an aftermarket power board?

If you are having problems with a Rottendog MPU then best to contact them.

Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

What chip holds the system clock?
Restoring Pinbot and having weird symptoms I am hoping you can diagnose. There is some faulty logic going on somewhere in the boards I think. Machine boots up fine, press start, game does welcoming sounds and ramp, 3 bank reset, but ball does not show in in shooter for a long time (30 seconds - 2 minutes). If I drop a ball in the machine manually during that time, I can score points but the ball cannot end, and the extra ball hole won't pop the ball back out. After a 30 seconds to 2 minutes, the ball will pop into the shooter land and I can play normally. You'd think it was the roms, but I have 2 sets of U26 and U27 (I have a donor machine) and they have the exact same symptoms. I am on a Rottendog replacement board. I am guessing that one of the chips is faulty, but don't know which one. If I had to guess, I'd say there was something wrong with the system clock. The first ball will take anywhere from 30 seconds to 3 minutes to go into the shooter, and then the next two take exactly 28 seconds... is there an adjustment somewhere I'm missing? I've done factory resets. Thanks!

#3659 4 years ago
Quoted from jmountjoy111:

Why are rottendog boards not suggested for Pinbot? I’m just curious. Is that the old 11 or the new 9-11 or is it just for both? I know there are sound issues with some of the boards but I had not heard they didn’t work with a specific game

There were sound issues that I heard about and there may have been other issues as well. At one point when I was looking for a replacement I looked at them and was told they didn't recommend it for Pinbot. That was a couple years ago so perhaps they have changed their stance on that.

Luckily I was able to find an original board for mine without battery damage that I was able to rebuild. If original boards are available I'd prefer to rebuild those vs installing any after market board unless I can't avoid it.

#3666 4 years ago
Quoted from sethbenjamin:

Ugh, we desperately need some more folks that can do work at Clive's level. He's fantastic, does great work and is absolutely my go to guy, but as more and more boards are going belly up his turnaround time is getting longer and longer. No slam at all on Clive, he's just doing what it humanly possible, but there's definitely room for someone else in this field who can do board work as thoroughly and reliably as he does.

I do repairs on many of the Pinball boards but limit them to machines that I own or ones close enough that I can run the boards if needed. Also try to keep parts on hand for them. Not fond of dealing with battery damage but just about anything else is ok. Lately a lot of projects were fixing prior repair work where people ripped out through hole plating, pads, and often traces. Lot of system 6 boards, system 11 like Pinbot, WPC CPU, sound boards, some system 80 like Haunted House, and early Bally/Stern including some of the Bally home games.

4 months later
#3806 4 years ago
Quoted from pacman11:

What am I missing to lock these coin mechs in?[quoted image][quoted image]

You are missing the two odd retaining brackets that are specific to the Wico coin door. They seem to work better with the plastic coin mechs.

Unfortunately those are extremely hard to come by and it took me years to find a pair so I could finally add coin mechs to my Pinbot.

2 months later
#3963 4 years ago
Quoted from cngizbleevng:

I'm having trouble resetting the high scores. All four of them are at 9,999,999 now. I've looked at the manual and it offers three options, but none are working.
Of course, I don't want to wait for 1000 plays before it automatically resets them.
The button on the door doesn't seem to work--it says to press that during the "attract" mode, but nothing happens.
Any ideas?

Are you running NVRAM? If not can you pull a battery and let it sit for a while? That should clear out the scores.

1 month later
#4022 4 years ago
Quoted from spblat:

Looking for opinions. Is this playfield too clean for a hardtop? Only a couple of bare wood trouble spots. Would it be better to buy a ruined playfield and sell this one to someone who would like to restore it?[quoted image]

It looks like that could be touched up easily and would clean up.

3 months later
#4251 3 years ago
Quoted from pacman11:

Just put up my very nice Pinbot if anyone wants to join the club.

At $2999 I think those legs need a date with a brillo pad or a fresh set of new legs. From the pictures it looks like the front was drilled for a coin door bar and the plastic under the visor is broken. Are these old or current pictures?

#4253 3 years ago
Quoted from pacman11:

Have you looked at the playfield on it? It’s a very nice Pinbot. Let’s see your Pinbot man especially by the eye locks where wear occurs. I am not worried it will sell, thanks for your input though..

I'm not knocking the playfield on your game. It does look nice. Couple minor bubbles in the Mylar but I don't think that really takes away from it. However the broken plastic, cleaning the legs (or replacing them) are pretty simple to do and for the price I'd expect those to be done. That is taking away from it. Those aren't expensive. Pictures of the inside of the back box would help. Does it have the update to add fuses on the inputs of the bridges?

Replaced that same plastic on mine and after 20 years of owning my machine treated it to a fresh set of legs, bolts, and levelers. Totally worth the investment. No complaints about my playfield. Just a liittle wear around one of the pops but it's really hard to see unless you get right on top of it. Player never sees it. Boards are super clean with no battery damage and after going over the boards it is a reliable machine. No plans on selling.

1 month later
#4265 3 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

What is the best ROM to install in pinbot? I’ve heard of a newer version that helps with tournament play? Is this true?

I use the L-5 in mine. Just be aware that one of the ROM's is corrupt in most of the images floating around. I had a thread about it a couple years ago.

3 months later
#4321 3 years ago

Incorrect voltage (low or high) can cause all sorts of things and is typically one of the first things you check. Otherwise you may be hunting for problems that don't exist.

1 month later
#4367 3 years ago
Quoted from Sciddleybop1980:

I’m not sure about callouts but my music goes funny during multi player. I lose sounds and others get stuck until the ball ends. This only seems to happen during multiplayer so maybe a software bug. I have new game and sound roms to install but haven’t got round to it yet. What revision roms are you on? I’m on Rev 1 sound and Rev 2 game.
[quoted image]

Just be careful on the replacement ROM's. The main set on IPDB has a bad image that lacks some sound effects. The corrected ROM is a separate file. Ran into that issue firsthand.

#4370 3 years ago
Quoted from Looprunner:

I'm not sure. I will have to check. The callouts will all work and then they just disappear. They only come back when I restart the game.

If they are all there and drop out it may be something else. Mine would lose sounds and had to replace a DAC and audio amp on the MPU board.

#4377 3 years ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

Which set is bad?
There are 7 files available....

In the L5 set U22 image is bad. IPDB has a separate U22 image that is correct. I you just use all the L5 images only you'll lose sounds. I ran into that first hand and had to make another U22 to fix it.

4 weeks later
#4435 3 years ago

I just ran into a bad 20 amp fuse on another game. Just looking at it you would swear it was ok. Was open right at the end cap. Could pull it right out and see where it was detached. A visual inspection means nothing unless you can see that it is burned open and bad. If not you need to test.

#4449 3 years ago

I'd be interested in a set too.

2 months later
#4565 3 years ago

Pinbot is my first machine and one of my all time favorites. For those of you that haven’t tried the new PEMBOT code you are really missing out. It is an awesome upgrade and really well done. Makes a great game even better!

#4566 3 years ago

Does anyone have a spare original translite or know who may sell them? At one point my game must have had a flash lamp locked on for one of the eyes. Many people may not notice but I do and would like to freshen it up. Also thinking about the new back glass option but that isn’t in the budget at the moment.

#4568 3 years ago

There is a PEMBOT thread that talks about it. You can’t buy the code but if you know someone with a programmer you can get a set made. Just the two main ROMs on the MPU.

Adds features like a ball save similar to newer games that can really make a difference for casual family players. It’s just a fantastic upgrade.

2 months later
#4634 3 years ago

There is also the Williams System 11 section on pinwiki.com that will help.

1 week later
#4649 3 years ago

Definitely just buy the fresh set of legs, new levelers, and leg bolts from pinball life. Did that for my Pinbot and very happy with the results.

2 weeks later
#4687 2 years ago
Quoted from jjga:

Sometimes I enjoy this game, sometimes I hate it. I was looking for a Bride of Pinbot, but impulse bought Pinbot with it as a package deal from a guy who had both and was local,

Get the new PEMBOT code for the game. It is pure Pinbot but better. I've have my Pinbot over 25 years and it is just a really good game. Love the music on it and the High score theme is just the best. BOP is awesome too.

3 weeks later
#4728 2 years ago
Quoted from someotherguy:

Surprising that the board screws (which serve as grounds) didn't solve it. Are they all in place, none missing?
Easy to determine if the sound is involved in any way with your displays. Pull the display fuse and fire the game up, and wait to see if it gets noisy..
Richard

Could be time to replace the caps on the power board, sound board, and the sound section of the MPU. You can so them one at a time to see which one helps clear up most of the noise.

1 month later
#4794 2 years ago

Definitely look into the PEMBOT upgraded code. It's awesome. Adds a ball saver (shield) that is nice for home use.

3 months later
#4880 2 years ago
Quoted from Wharhed:

I recently picked up the CPR repro backglass from Starship Fantasy.
Has anybody else had an issue with massive gaps on the sides of the backglass? There’s a little over 1/4” on each side after all the trim installed.
Yes.. Hasselhoff is staring at you.[quoted image]

Can you post the actual measurements of the glass you received? Also did you have the original one to compare it to?

4 weeks later
#4950 2 years ago

I’m not surprised that the giant filter cap is still original.

Quoted from pinballizfun:

clearing an overlay is a stupid idea. its a soft surface, its not meant for paint/clear. thats a recipe for failure.

If I were ever to use an overlay I would get one of the thin playfield protectors. I know people clear over the overlays but I’ve always been skeptical on how long it would last.

#4961 2 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

How do you test the U20? Q29 looks good.
This all traces back to that brown wire that is connected to the relay I replaced. What tells that relay to send electricity to the coils off that brown lead? I feel like I am barking up the wrong tree and it is probably a hidden wiring issue in this rats nest :/.

You could leave the connector off that connects to the solenoids and then with a logic probe check the inputs and outputs of that IC. Logic probes are pretty inexpensive and it a pretty useful tool. Shows if a signal is high/low/pulsing or none.

#4976 2 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

Nobody thinks that the diodes testing wrong on that diode board are a concern? I can’t find any documentation on how that thing is supposed to work or even what diodes those are.

You can get all sorts of odd readings in circuit. Many times you can tell if they are probably ok in circuit. Other times you need to unsolder one lead to isolate it to be sure.

#4987 2 years ago

For your next upgrade checkout the new PEMBOT code. It is an awesome upgrade to the machine.

1 month later
#5046 2 years ago

I’ve never seen that one before. If you find a source for those please post here. I’d like one too.

1 month later
#5093 2 years ago
Quoted from PatWoodrailLVR:

That is the problem. There is no "Yes/No".. Even with no Yes/No displayed I tried pushing the start/enter button in both positions only to still have the game register games with no credits. I was searching the net and saw that someone else with a System 11 game had the same issue. But saw no resolution. I'm wondering if it's a corrupt set of ROM. I ordered a new pair just in case. If there is something else I'm missing I'm glad to hear of it.

What ROM version are you running now? For the stock ROM it seems that L-5 is the best as long as they burn it with the correct U22 sound ROM.

I think the best version is the new updated PEMBOT code. It refreshes the game and makes it better.

1 month later
#5141 2 years ago

Mine is set to 3 ball but is running the PEMBOT code with the ball saver.

5 months later
#5342 1 year ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Pinbot @ Aldi this week.
I'm not sure what it is used for...[quoted image]

Cats in space.

2 months later
#5382 1 year ago
Quoted from dr_spidey:

All the switches go out together. then they all start working again
Plus I just cleaned everything during the swap

Then recheck all your work and the wiring. Is there a diode broken loose, an open connection that intermittently touches? Or something too close and an intermittent short?

2 weeks later
#5402 1 year ago
Quoted from imadork8:

Hey Pin Bot Team, need a little help please.
Lately, when turning my machine on, it will quickly shut off, and restart, and shut off, and restart and do this pretty consistently. If I leave it on allowing the machine to do this this for a while, it will get better and start working after some time. Could take hours though. Almost seems like it needs to warm up completely before it starts functioning without restarting. Someone mentioned I might need a new power supply, but I'm not sure, this is all fairly new to me.
Thank you for any guidance on how to fix this annoying problem!

Definitely check power first. The 5V supply is probably low. If the power board is original and never been serviced you probably need to have your power supply rebuilt. There are quite a few people on the forums that can help with that. Even if you get a new replacement power board I’d still get your original board rebuilt and keep with the game.

#5421 1 year ago
Quoted from Veemonroe:

Hi folks,
I’ve just traded my Flash Gordon for a PinBot (not arrived yet), but it’s a Cirsa one with the different shaped inserts. The (MDF) playfield is in decent condition, but there’s damage to the sun insert - so, I was going to hard top it.
I wondered if anyone had any experience with either hard topping an MDF playfield, or swapping a Cirsa playfield with a Williams one?

I don't see any difference because of MDF or plywood. You'd just need to prep the playfield the same way,

I'd be more concerned about the differences in inserts, parts layouts, etc. Since it is a different playfield I would seriously consider trying to save the original and clearcoat instead of hardtop.

1 week later
#5429 1 year ago
Quoted from jackl:

Hi Pinbot Family,
I bought my first and (until now) only machine, Pinbot, about 14 months ago. Since then, I’ve had a blast, playing about 1,400 games. I thought I’d share some random thoughts and observations with the rest of the owners group:

Jesus, the left outlane on this machine is hungry! The upshot of this is that PinBot’s taught me a lot about nudging and how to anticipate problematic ball trajectories in the top half of the playfield.
Perhaps I’m biased as an owner, but the music on this machine is some of the best I’ve come across in a pin. It’s singularly of the mid-80s in the best way possible, and all of my guests who try it out for the first time have had a lot of fun playing along to the soundtrack.
Ditto the artwork. It has this wonderfully anachronistic period vibe to it that sparks joy whenever I see it.
Shooting for the special shot to advance a planet is never worth the risk, ever.
In fact, I mostly avoid playing for planets entirely. The bonus applied at the end of each ball just isn’t worth the risk IMO.
While it wouldn’t work in a competitive setting, I’ve found that a great strategy to set high scores is utilizing the carry-over of the skill-shot multiplier on plunges between extra balls. From what I’ve found the skill-shot multiplier can be built up to 9X, meaning skill-shots worth 900,000 are possible. In scenarios where I’ve built up a decent multiplier, I’ve found it profitable to focus solely on the left ramp in hopes that the ball deposits back into the shooter lane, giving me another chance at a big score.
This machine is a total war horse. I bought a heavily-mylared example that clearly had been routed for several years. While it’s not a collector-quality example, the playfield still looks pretty nice and I’ve had little in the way of technical problems.
Shoutout to pinballplusMN for helping me to set up the machine and teach me some basics about regular maintenance and troubleshooting. If you’re located in the northern midwest, I strongly recommend his services as a technician!

Definitely great sound effects and it has my favorite high score music.

You should checkout the upgraded PEMBOT code. It is an awesome upgrade.

2 months later
#5584 1 year ago

These small pry bars work really well to help remove ICs from sockets:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0875LSTD3

#5590 1 year ago
Quoted from Gornkleschnitzer:

Looking for some ideas on fixing my audio. The game will play all (most?) of the basic sys11 synth sounds - bonus count, drop target awards and timer, etc. It will also play the CVSD samples e.g. PINBOT'S CIRCUITS ACTIVATED. However, I get no music, and some of the bigger sound effects are missing as well.
The CVSD quality is horrible, but I'll cross that bridge later. The game is currently running a Rottendog Sys11 CPU and I've heard that's a known issue with that board.

A couple things. Are you running original known good ROMs? Or did you burn a set based on the images on IMDb.org or the ones on the planetary site? Both are flawed and when using those there wil be missing sounds. There is a separate image for the U22 chip on IMDb.org that has the correct image for that chip. I ran into this myself and could explain the missing sounds.

Can you post pictures on how the wires for the sound are plugged in? Also of the Rottendog board. There are a couple versions of that board. I believe the latest has a couple multiturn potentiometers to adjust the sound section. Did some testing with that in a Grand Lizard and worked perfect. Never tried it in Pinbot but may at some point if I get a Rottendog board in for repair.

#5592 1 year ago

Interesting, thank you for the insights! I will try and remember to check on a few things when I get home today.
I don't know the source of the ROMs, but the "Sounds & Music" ROM on the sound board *looks* original if I recall correctly. The two on the CPU board have replacements that I have tried - there was a set of originals from a parts machine, and a set of repros from K's Arcade. I get the same results regardless of which ROMs I use. I don't have any spares of the chip on the sound board.
For sure I'll grab a photo of the boards and wiring. I checked it based on several images and it seemed correct (also reseated+reversed the ribbon cable, correct Pin 1 orientation), but it doesn't hurt to confirm.

Well U22 is messed up on all the official ZIP file images of the latest Pinbot ROM's so if they used them that may explain why you're missing sounds.

Without knowning the history of the machine who knows if the external sound board is working correctly or not or what the history is of the replacement MPU and what the original board was doing or not doing.

#5595 1 year ago

If the CPU is in fact the problem, there may be an additional saving grace - a spare board I picked up a while back that's already fitted with Pinbot ROMs. A friend of mine tried it out while I was too busy, and reported that it didn't work. But it may be worth trying to fix in the future - considering that it has no battery damage, unlike this game's original board.
Good point about the sound board. That was something I wondered about myself, might have to dig a bit deeper to figure that out. Can I at least assume that if I pick up a replacement Sound+Music ROM (on the sound board itself), it would not be a defective binary?

The only ROM image that I am aware of that was bad is the U22 sound ROM on the MPU board. The images for the external sound board should be fine.

If there isn't much battery damage it is totally worth repairing the original MPU. I have rebuilt many System 11 boards and do repairs on them.

#5600 1 year ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Don't do this, the legs are bent like this for a reason. It keeps the chips from working out of the sockets. When inserting chips, align one side of the legs and insert them @ 1/3 of the way. Then push the chip towards the side you have started inserting until you flex the legs enough to start the other sides legs. Then ease the chip home bay rocking it side to side until fully inserted.

We all have our own way of doing things but I straighten the legs too and have a few different tools specifically for straightening the leads.

There are several reasons to straighten the legs of the chips. One it does seem easier to insert the chips in the sockets. This is critical if you happen to have machine pin sockets as the alignment is not very forgiving on those.

The other reason is that I've found just the thin part of the lead ends up bending and the upper part doesn't. So when the chips come back out the leads are bent like this:

\
/

Less likely to happen when the leads are straight.

This is the first I've heard of leaving them flared out to keep them from coming out. I can understand the reasoning but if the sockets don't have enough force to properly hold the chip by the leads then it is usually time to replace the IC sockets.

#5602 1 year ago

Rottendog CPU:
[quoted image]
Rottendog 11A Audio Module:
[quoted image]
The area below that in case it's relevant:
[quoted image]

That is an early version of the Rottendog board. The newer one doesn't have that daughter board and also has a couple different precision multiturn potentiometers to adjust the sound section. I don't believe that one has any of the sound issues you describe.

1 week later
#5606 1 year ago
Quoted from MadMaxDad:

I just picked up a PinBot and it has a ‘feature’ I hadn’t seen before.
There’s a wire ball guide / habitrail that goes from the bagatelle area to the left inlane.
The inlane plastic looks like it’s been trimmed a little. Pics on IPDB show that plastic cut similar to the right inlane to allow a ball to drop - so maybe it was a planned feature?
Does anybody else have this?[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I think I recall seeing a post where someone added that. Nothing factory that I am aware of.

1 month later
#5704 1 year ago
Quoted from pkc204:

Hi everyone. I'm new to this hobby so I apologize ahead of time if I ask too many questions. Just took into my possession an Original PINBOT machine. I would like to start replacing old and very used parts. Several lights are burned out so I would like to tackle a complete LED conversion for all the lights. Can anyone recommend a legit business to purchase such lights and exactly what it entails to complete such a conversion. I've been reading about LED's, non ghosting LED's, cutting resistors, etc. Thanks in advance for any help provided and I welcome any advice about getting into the world on Pinball.

Welcome and enjoy Pinbot. It is a great game!

My suggestion would be to start small and enjoy it for a while before getting carried away. Start accumulating parts that are broken and need to be replaced.

LEDs can look great but are often over rated. You don’t NEED to put all LEDs in the game. Most of my games still use bulbs. If any are out try removing and reinserting the bulb to see if it is a bad connection or socket. Any bulbs that are blackened should be replaced.

For games that I’ve installed LEDs in I used ones from COMET. It is good to get a variety and see what you like. For GI behind the translite frosted ones help even out the lighting. Personally the super bright LED are too bright for me and I only use a few where really needed.

I’d avoid the LED kits on eBay unless you want a horrible looking purple game.

LEDs can look great in a game if done right. Done wrong they can make it look awful.

I’ve also seen people cause issues installing them as the move thing around and disturb things under the playfield. Like moving things that cause shorts, etc. be careful.

The cutting of resistors has to do with the warming resistors (one of the two resistors) used for the large flash bulbs. If you leave those as lamps you don’t need to cut or unsolder a lead.

4 months later
#5865 9 months ago
Quoted from MydknyteStyrm:

I am having an issue with my plunger. A full plunge won’t get me to the top of the vortex, and about 75% of the time it won’t even enter the vortex, just crap out onto the bumpers. The plunger does have a little wiggle in the plunge holder, and I’m not sure if that something that’s causing the issue. Any tips? Thanks!

Probably time to clean it and new shooter plastic sleeve.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
3,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Clovis, CA
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Twisted Tokens

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

3,152 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pulaski, PA
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robotworkshop.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbot-fans-and-owners-club?tu=robotworkshop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.