20240112_135811 (resized).jpg
IMG_5901 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5902 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7922 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7923 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7921 (resized).jpeg
541EBD6A-2CA4-43E0-AB4B-B18C7FF31AF0 (resized).jpeg
Pinside_forum_7003307_0 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinheadpierre.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#633 8 years ago
Quoted from Tanooki:

Hey just curious but what would I be looking at to get a new plastic piece, the cover that goes over the vortex with the rocket on it that has those 3 metal brackets. (Well new or used in good shape?)
I take it that is it one piece, brackets and all right? I've been watching ebay and stuff looking at parts and noticed that one oddly doesn't seem to show up like the others for the most part kind of like the two little side ships I know can be difficult too.

Mine was broken so I made a new one. Cutting a new one out of lexan is simple enough, though the edges take some work to polish. I have a good scan of the rocket ship sticker that I used to print out a new one using archival pigment inks on an epson 3800. The tricky part would be the legs that support the cover. They are all different and seem like the toughest part to fabricate (to me at least). The legs are riveted to the clear plastic. If I did not have the legs, I would keep my eyes peeled for even a broken cover just to get the legs.

#637 8 years ago
Quoted from jmountjoy111:

I have been looking for that piece for three years. Someone mentioned making one with Lexan and water slide decals but I am not too skilled in Lexan. I guess I'll keep waiting.

If you do make one, the rocket ship is a sticker, not a waterslide decal. (Due to the fact that the substrate is clear plastic and the image contains white.) Really pretty simple to make if you have the metal legs.

#644 8 years ago
Quoted from sethbenjamin:

IMHO, all pre-DMD games should be 5 ball, since there is no ball saver. When PinBot throws the ball screaming into the left outlane, straight from the pop bumpers, there is absolutely nothing to be done about it, for example. Plus on my original insert/instruction cards for PinBot and F-14 it says "5 Balls Per Game", so there we have it!

Most machines (maybe all) from this era came from the factory with a variety of apron cards. When i got my space shuttle (another fabulous williams game) it miraculously still had its full set of cards and score inserts. There is a card for 3 ball and a card for 5 ball (maybe on flip sides of the same card) to give the operator options. Number of balls is a personal choice. I prefer to play any game with the number of balls that is the factory default, in the case of Pinbot that would be 3 but if you prefer five I doubt anybody is going to complain.

#645 8 years ago
Quoted from Tanooki:

pinheadempire: I saw some others speaking of that on here or elsewhere, but that's well over my head and for the few if any tools I own too unfortunately. I found one dude selling one but I wasn't sure if $80 or whatever it was was overpriced or fair so I let it be.
Personally I've been loving and hating the thing. It's historically one of my three favorite tables, the other being Black Knight and Space Shuttle (guess that makes me a bit of a sadist given PB and BK). Honestly at times thanks to my only other table being an often fast drain monster whore too (Gold Ball) I'm kind of wishing I had something that was a bit kinder on the player about that (like Space Shuttle.) I'm having trouble scoring due to the draining much over a million, yet now and again luck holds and I don't get screwed by it being rapidly tossed down the right or left outer lane and I do alright.

Sounds like we have similar taste. I have a space shuttle and a Pinbot. I like them both because they are challenging. To make pinbot play with greater forgiveness on the outlanes, put the post above each lane on the lowest spot. They are adjustable. Look under the playfield and you will see that each of those posts can be mounted in one of three holes on a little metal plate. I have mine mounted in the hole closest to the outlane (resulting in a narrower opening) and I almost feel like it makes them too tight.

1 month later
#669 8 years ago

CALL FOR HELP - HALF OF GENERAL ILLUMINATION OUT. The left "blue" side of the GI lighting on my PinBot went out the other day. I found the fuse for the white/violet wire blown in the fuse block below the power board. Replaced the fuse, powered up and watched it fry immediately. I have visually looked over the circuit as best I can for a couple hours and cannot see anything suspect.

Anyone ever come across this? How might I efficiently go about tracing the issue (which I am guessing is a short)?

#670 8 years ago

Turns out that the most efficient way to trace an issue like this might be to get stronger bifocals. I put on a magnifying headlamp and carefully traced the circuit again. Oh - looky here - when I adjusted the position of the right eye socket kickout to stop it from shooting the ball straight down the drain every time, the corner of it wound up touching a GI socket terminal. Just barely but electrons do not seem to care about such niceties. Egads.

// Error: Image 439734 not found //

#671 8 years ago

Like this....

20150812_170649.jpg20150812_170649.jpg

#674 8 years ago

I have noticed a few complaints here about the toughness of the outlanes on PinBot. They are indeed very tough compared to many other machines. My four year old has decided not to play pinbot much anymore in favor of our space shuttle because he says pinbot is too hard. I decided to see if I could delicately adjust the play of the inlanes without adopting one of those over the top mods which totally close them off. (Which I would never do - this is pinball after all, for goodness sakes.)

As far as I can tell there are two things that make the outlanes on pinbot tougher than most. The first is something that just is what it is - the angle of the rubber above the inlane/outlane areas is pretty severe. If the ball bounces of either of those rubbers it is practically guaranteed that the ball is headed for one or the other of the lanes.

Here is where easy adjustments can be made. The first, which I think I have mentioned in a previous post, is to adjust the position of the bottom post for the rubber above the lanes. It can go into one of three holes. My thinking is that having the post mounted in the bottom hole makes the entrances to the lane areas smaller. It is not a huge difference, but every little bit helps.

20150810_143058.jpg20150810_143058.jpg

The other thing I have done (which makes a really big difference and makes the lanes play more like other machines imho) is to simply remove the rubber from the divider post between each set of lanes.

20150810_142948.jpg20150810_142948.jpg

This changes the bouncy bouncy roulette game which more often than not results in a drain. It also allows for occasionally being able to walk the ball back up the outlane to save it. With the rubber ring on the post "walking" does not usually work because the ball would usually just hit the ring and bounce back down the outlane.

That said and done, I prefer the way the machine plays now and my four year old is a bit more inclined to play it....BUT....I feel a bit like I am cheating playing this way. After all, isn't the bagatelle mini playfield enough of a clue that this is a game that is very much about the art of nudging? Yes, you still have to nudge to influence the path of travel in the lane areas sans rubber rings on the lane posts but it's different/easier.

What do my fellow BotHeads think?

#678 8 years ago
Quoted from Tanooki:

Wouldn't removing the rubber off the outline eventually ding up the ball?

I don't know. I am a bit worried about that. Lots of games (including the Shuttle) have nothing more than wireform dividers where pinbot has the post. I am not sure if the post is harder on the balls or not. Probably it is since it is wider, harder and more irregular in its profile. I might look around the Marco site sometime to see if there might be an alternative post that would perhaps be gentler on the balls.

1 week later
#688 8 years ago
Quoted from bobbyt:

Hey guys , was thinking about replacing the power supply on my game, what would be a good replacement? thanks!

Is your current supply (sorry for the pun) bad? I am not a fan of fixing anything that is not actually broken or malfunctioning.

1 month later
#719 8 years ago
Quoted from Plumonium:

Anyone's Pinbot play this way?

This is being addressed in a separate thread.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbot-chest-arraygrid#post-2723913

#722 8 years ago
Quoted from Plumonium:

Hey All,
Where can I find a repro vortex ramp? I swear I saw a place where they had it in-stock a few weeks back but can't find it anymore. Anyone?

http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PPS-B-11152

#733 8 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

You won't likely find them...out of stock

I just tried adding it to my cart and it worked. Does something go awry at checkout?

3 weeks later
#747 8 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Has anyone put black rubbers in this game to minimize the bouncing? I love Pinbot and its a tough game, I'm thinking of at least changing the slings and lower playfield rubbers to reduce the bounce. White does look great though.

I like my games difficult to a point. I have white rubber on mine. I took the rubber sleeves off of the posts between the inlanes and outlanes. It reduces the likelihood of a strain down to the point of an average machine vs the notorious drain monster that pinbot can be.

I would like to know if anyone had tried the Titan silicone rubbers on pinbot?

#755 8 years ago
Quoted from Plumonium:

Outlane drain = Pinbot. Pinbot = Outlane drain. Why would you want to change that? The beauty of Pinbot is having a super long ball time like outlane drain was not a thing. You really feel you are owning the machine those times. Next ball, you get immediate drain... That's Pinbot...
Just my 2 cents, you guys do whatever And I agree, outlane drains are frustrating!
I'm having pinball party at my place next week and looking forward to see how Pinbot will own my guest's asses! I'm sure pretty bad

I originally took the rings off partially because my wife and four year old were frustrated. But seeing as my wife and son do not play pinbot all that much even without the inlane/outlane rings, I decided to cave to peer pressure and experiment with putting them back on. Guess what? It does not make that much of a difference after all. I thought it did, because my balls were lasting longer with fewer side drains, but it turns out that I have just gotten better as a player!

1 week later
#760 8 years ago

I have always thought that the mini post on the top left corner of PinBot's ramp was just decorative.

20151108_122715.jpg20151108_122715.jpg

After reading and following the directions for cleaning and waxing of a playfield as told by Vid, I have discovered that the Bot can be so fast that it is possible to catch enough air off the ramp that you could actually get the ball stuck up behind the flashers if the post was not there! I should note that in addition to careful cleaning and then waxing with Blitz One Grand (soooo much better than the Merquire's I was using before) I also waxed the balls. Like Vid warns, waxing your balls makes the game play FAST.

#762 8 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

A really odd coincidence. Seemingly out of nowhere, 50% or so of my ramp shots are flying up and smacking the glass, often the ball running all the way up to those flashers and rolling down the plastics. It's so frequent that it is annoying. i can't for the life of me figure out what has changed. I'm good with electronics, but no so good with the High Speed physics that won;t allow me to determine if something needs to be fixed. Anyone else run into this problem?

Maybe your shots are just getting to be a bit too awesome. Play less awesome and your glass will be safe.

Okay....on the less cheeky side, have you done anything to make the ball faster (recent cleaning/waxing)? Have you done anything that could have slightly bent the metal flap at the top of the ramp upwards (creating a jump)? Is a rivet on the ramp flap coming loose, creating a high spot to make the ball jump? Heck, I am a total rookie compared to you and no physics whiz but those things just seem like the only things that could be different unless you changed the effectiveness of the flippers recently (via new coils, sleeves, different rubbers, etc).

1 month later
#831 8 years ago
Quoted from TheOnlyest:

Hi everyone, i'm Steve from Las Vegas, and I am announcing my membership to your club!
My new (to me) Pinbot arrived on Dec 29th 2015 and brings my pin collection to 4, which means my living room has reached capacity!
Some of you may have read about my delivery problems with NAVL in another thread, But I purchased a HUO game from an elderly couple outside of St. Louis. Aside from needing a serious full shop, and hopefully i'm able to buff and polish the OEM mylar, the machine and cabinet are in fantastic condition! Well, except for one thing.... one dreaded plastic piece. <sigh> Anybody wanna welcome a new brother with a HUGE hookup gesture??

plastic_(resized).jpg

I have one. I replaced all my plastics with CPR stuff. Not sure if it is intact, though. The tips of that piece tend to take a beating. I will dig it out and take a look in the next day or two.

1 week later
#849 8 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Take a cardboard tube @ 1 1/4 in diameter and cut a piece 7/8 long. Spray paint it white and hot glue it to the insert board between the N and B of Pinbot to stop the white bulb from bleeding into the red and blue.

Good idea. This is also a great place for a slow color changing RGB bulb.

#857 8 years ago
Quoted from TheOnlyest:

Hey folks, a little help please?
Since my game came with no manuals, and the schematics PDF from iPBD is barely readable, can I get someone to post a pic or description of the backbox connector locations for the coin door service buttons and lockout button/switch? None of them seem to be working and I cannot go into adjustment mode.
Thanks in advance!
Steve

Have you tried cleaning them? Mine did not work either when I got my Bot. All they needed was a thorough cleaning. They can get easily gunked up by someone spilling a drink on the glass.

1 month later
#895 8 years ago
Quoted from pinball_customs:

Does anyone have a pic of my decal mod installed? I'd love to see it!

Super delayed response, I know. I LOVE your decal. It looks so natural that I often completely forgot that it is a mod.

20160311_131550_(resized).jpg20160311_131550_(resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#907 8 years ago

I highly recommend picking up a set of plastic protectors to go with your pristine new plastics.

1 month later
#928 7 years ago

Mine looks like this:

20160311_131407-2.jpg20160311_131407-2.jpg

#933 7 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

Here's a closeup from the Pinbot flyer, showing that nylon spacer above the tapered rubber. I would think that Williams clearly intended for it to be used, and was just discarded or lost at some point when machines were shopped. Earthshaker (and others, I'm sure) uses the same tapered rubber, and also uses the spacer. I've seen similar nylon parts at my local Ace Hardware, wouldn't be surprised if they were exactly the right size.

Another thread on the same topic:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbot-what-part-is-missing-on-my-game

I love this! It confirms a suspicion I have had for awhile that machines tend to "evolve" (or devolve) slowly over time due to operator error or unavailable parts. Without original photographs or diagrams from the time of production showing every little part in a machine, those little errors and omissions get copied and perpetuated until most people have forgotten how it was originally meant to be put together.

#936 7 years ago
Quoted from Vanapult:

Can someone tell me what is between the helmet and ramp plastic that keeps them separated? To be clear, there are three bolts in the very back that go through the helmet, then the ramp, which secures them both to the playfield. The one I'm working on has post rubbers.

I had mine apart yesterday for some deep cleaning. Here is what mine looks like. Basically, the little screw with the rubber on it at the edge of the ramp acts as one forward support while the metal bracket attached to the underside of the helmet rests on the clear cover for the vortex ramp providing additional support. Now...is that "correct"? I'm not sure (see discussion directly above), but that's how mine is.

20160510_112345_(resized).jpg20160510_112345_(resized).jpg

20160510_112450_(resized).jpg20160510_112450_(resized).jpg

#944 7 years ago

Be sure to pick up a set of the plastic protectors from marco or elsewhere. No sense getting new plastics and leaving them vulnerable to ball impact.

1 week later
#948 7 years ago

If you don't find one, they are pretty simple to make. I made one by modifying a standard Simpson Strong Tie angle iron. It works perfectly.

20160525_114052_(resized).jpg20160525_114052_(resized).jpg

#951 7 years ago
Quoted from Plumonium:

That's neat. I'm all for original parts but that could do it.
What happened to your original?

Who knows? My machine did not have one when I bought it.

3 months later
#1034 7 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

I'm thinking of leaving the club to freshen things up a bit, so I am looking for a local trade for a game on my wishlist, if anyone would like to work something out PM me.

I'm not sure that's allowed. Section 2.3a of the pinside code of conduct clearly states that, "the originator of a club thread shall from that moment forward and forever own said fanned game in his or her collection."

I hope we don't have to send a squad out for enforcement.

#1038 7 years ago

Even if you delete the thread, you'll never be able to sell or trade your Pinbot. Once you start a club thread, pinside sends a tech to your place, disguised as one of your buddies. When you are off getting snacks or beers or something, the tech fits your machine with a little device that causes the game to malfunction if you attempt to trade or sell it. Sorry, I thought you knew.

#1039 7 years ago

Wait a second. I just found a sub-rule (2.3b) which states that creators of threads can sell or trade for qualified medical reasons. Fun deficit disorder is on the list of eligible conditions. Apparently this is a common "disease" caused by repetition and long term exposure. You might need a note from a qualified fun expert to get pinside to remove the anti-trade/sale device referenced above, though.

3 weeks later
#1079 7 years ago

There are SOOO many subtle things that can affect the skill shot. IMHO this makes it a true skill shot. On mine, even when everything is tuned well, gradual wear to the plunger rubber or a slight warp/misalignment of the plunger can be the difference between hitting the middle or top hole vs never making it up the ramp. The thing I have found that helps most if you cannot make it up the ramp ever is to put a much smaller rubber on the posts for the shooter lane part of the bumper nest and making sure the shooter lane gate is free and easy. I see stretch marks on my lane rubber it's so tight. Also, if at all in doubt, totally rebuild the plunger.

1 month later
#1180 7 years ago
Quoted from shesmovedon:

I recently picked up my first pin and it's a Pinbot <3
It's in pretty great shape other than some cleaning, bulb replacements, and fixing the up/down ramp mechanics. However, the most glaring issue is that the clear plastic cover over the skill shot vortex is half missing. Anyone here have an spare lying around? I'm happy to pay a fair price for it
It's odd that none of the plastic repro sets come with this piece...

Do you have the broken off piece? There is a standoff bracket at the top end of the ramp you are missing if you don't have that piece.
I made one of these for myself as mine was cracked and badly scratched. I have a good cleaned up scan of the rocket ship to print onto sticker paper of you decide to fashion one yourself.

#1182 7 years ago
Quoted from shesmovedon:

I think_ I found pieces of the metal standoff floating around inside the cabinet. I'm certainly looking at building a new one if I can't source a replacement. I don't have all of the plastic so I'd have to see what I can do for getting new plastic. I'd be delighted to try to fashion one myself with the help of your scan. Thank you!

When I get a chance I will dig through my stuff and see if I saved my old one. It's easy to cut a new one if you have an intact piece to use as a template.

#1183 7 years ago
Quoted from pinheadpierre:

When I get a chance I will dig through my stuff and see if I saved my old one. It's easy to cut a new one if you have an intact piece to use as a template.

Okay - I still have my old one. It's broken in three pieces but still usable as a template. Let me know if you decide to go the homemade route. I could send you a tracing of the profile and rivet hole locations and email you the scan for the sticker.

#1185 7 years ago
Quoted from Gogojohnnyquack:

Greetings Pinbot fans. Does anyone have an ' ADV. "X" ' sticker that I could buy? Mine is really faded.
This is my son's favorite game and I recently acquired one and started depopulating the playfield, removing mylar, and cleaning. It's pretty gross and I may try stepping into the world of paint touch-up around the ball lock area too.
My first part that I'm looking for is the ' ADV. "X" ' sticker on the clear plastic moving ramp. I see that it is on the available complete sheet of decals but it is the only one I need on the whole sheet. My original sticker is on the underside of the ramp, and it appears that from the way that the replacement is printed it sticks on the topside of the ramp - true? Here is a pic of my faded sticker:

And a pic of the general filth I'm digging through:

And the paint in my ball lock area (any advice is appreciated, I have a starter set of acrylic paint):

I don't have the sticker but I strongly recommend reading Vid's guide to playfield restoration if you haven't already done so. There are invaluable cleaning and touch up tips to be had there.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration

1 week later
#1216 7 years ago
Quoted from Gogojohnnyquack:

Terrific. I never got that far today. Maybe Jeff at Classic Arcades would be more likely to do a run if there were several of us placing an order at the same time.

Count me in if this becomes a reality. I'm confident that he would get quite a few customers for these stickers. I have yet to see a helmet that was not bubbled.

#1219 7 years ago
Quoted from JeffZee:

I had an original set of decals which I loaded to Planetary Pinball for scanning. Don't know if they ever followed through with it, but I assume the potential is there. I also loaded them a set of Bad Cats decals which I believe they did eventually produce.

Do you happen to have a higher resolution copy of this? This one seems possibly resized (maybe automatically by Pinside during the upload process - there is a resolution option in a drop down box in the attach images portion of the post window). I have a pretty good printer that can do large stuff if I can find appropriate stock to print on for the helmet. If the forum won't allow you to upload a high resolution version due to file size or if you have a scan that is an unsupported file type (not jpeg) could you please send one to me via pm?

1 week later
#1237 7 years ago

Anybody else here order one of those blingy backglasses from cpr and receive absolutely zero response?!? Not only did I not get an order confirmation but three follow up emails from me to them have been ignored. I just needed to know that my money went to the right place and that they would not be shipping it to arrive when I am out of town so it does not get stolen off my porch. Wtf?

4 weeks later
#1350 7 years ago
Quoted from JeffZee:

If I had to buy the backglass again... well... I might not.

I totally agree. I got one too. I am really picky about color. To me, it's the lightness of the blue and an overall lack of rich color saturation, particularly in the blues and reds that bugs me. For the money, I want to love it and I don't. I'm not letting go of my original translite anytime soon as it was in very good condition. Maybe I'll let it go if the new backglass grows on me. I do like it that it's an actual glass. Translites always look kinda cheap. I also like that pinbot now has a mirrored glass like the neighboring space shuttle and comet.

#1353 7 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I wonder why they are so off on the colors. Is this common with CPR repros?

Seems like I saw some comments elsewhere about some of the blue in their repro space shuttle plastics being way too light also. Odd. I have no complaints with the colors on the repro pinbot playfield or plastics. CPR is feeling a bit hit or miss to me at this point though. I will be proceeding with greater caution with them in the future.

#1356 7 years ago

Good advice. I just thought from the description that it would look a lot better than it does (to me).

3 weeks later
#1376 7 years ago
Quoted from Plumonium:

Mine's gone and I might redo the ramp as part of my restoration. So anyone wanting to be part of it will get a big shout out!

Me too. If someone here could scan one, I would like to try cutting a stencil on my cameo silhouette to airbrush it on the underside of the ramp.

4 weeks later
#1408 7 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

I have some concepts for replacement speaker panels. These are mods, made of stainless steel to match the other game trim, to cover the plain black fabric panel of with a higher-end look more akin to the rest of System 11.
Nothing available yet, since I'm seeking opinion on the concepts themselves first. The challenge for PinBot was to integrate it into the art, as opposed to something redundant. Check them out in the thread linked below. Your feedback would be appreciated...
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbot-stainless-steel-speaker-panel-concepts-interest#post-3583022

#2 is the strongest design IMHO, but the cost is more than I would entertain for a speaker panel cover. Not much to be done about that given material costs though. Nice work.

1 week later
#1438 7 years ago

Yes, the ramp shot can definitely be made as a left flipper backhand.

#1443 7 years ago

No way can I backhand the ramp from a dead cradle. From a standstill I would have to bounce the ball off the post, catch it and slap it up the ramp. Not easy for me but it is possible.

2 months later
#1503 7 years ago
Quoted from Plumonium:

Anyone here parting or has parted a Pinbot with some left overs?
I'm looking for this visor bracket. Please help me!

Mine was missing as well when I got my shuttle. I ended up making one out of a sawed off, drilled Simpson strong tie bracket. It has worked perfectly for the past two years.

#1506 7 years ago
Quoted from Plumonium:

I'd really really like to get an original. Please help!

Oops - I meant pinbot. Anyway, good luck. I hope you find one. Consider making one in the meantime to tide you over until you find the real part.

1 week later
#1523 6 years ago

Has anyone come up with a good way to limit the amount that the shooter rod can be pulled back? My original vortex ramp is unbroken and I would like to "beginner proof" the shooter to keep it that way.

#1524 6 years ago

Has anyone come up with a good way to limit the amount that the shooter rod can be pulled back? My original vortex ramp is unbroken and I would like to "beginner proof" the shooter to keep it that way.

#1526 6 years ago
Quoted from Plumonium:

The solution is a softer spring.

Which spring do you recommend?

#1533 6 years ago
Quoted from Plumonium:

Look what I got in the mail today! Thanks to fellow Pinsider TZpinboter for the precious find.

Congratulations - funny you should mention it because I just had the hood up on my pinbot for the first time in ages today doing some routine maintenance and decided to take a picture of my homemade replacement for that adjustment bracket. It works perfectly!

20170502_111731 (resized).jpg20170502_111731 (resized).jpg

#1535 6 years ago

Could someone please take a picture of how the knocker is assembled/wired in the backbox? Mine has never had one but I just found what i think is the bracket and plunger. I need to verify this as well as the coil size and setup.

#1537 6 years ago
Quoted from Plumonium:

Black and orange wires coming from "that" strand.
Mine were hard wired and I added a connector for easy disconnect.

Good idea - thank you!

#1543 6 years ago
Quoted from Plumonium:

I'm kinda biased since I'm restoring mine and I know that I would be laughed at if I was pricing it for sale.

Let them laugh. People need to get used to the fact that restoration work done well is incredibly time consuming and requires an investment of new parts and other consumable materials that add up. Folks seem fine to pay really big money to places like high end pins for over the top back to new in box condition restorations (10k+). There is valid middle ground in the market for good restorations that make a machine super pretty but not pristine new. A pinsider near me recently sold a space shuttle for somewhere in the neighborhood of $2500 as one example - CPR playfield and plastics plus a fancy custom speaker grille (and it went fast). I am thinking about selling my pinbot but for all the parts and materials that went into it even if I charged $3000 I would be making less than minimum wage on my time. (Of course, I am not doing this type of thing for the money. It is just a personal interest/hobby but I am also not interested in giving my time away as I do not consider this to be charity work either.)

Charge what you truly believe is fair and stick with it. Keep the game if nobody buys it for your price.

#1547 6 years ago
Quoted from waruaki:

Thanks, for the responses. I rate pins on the tough side with a 10 being still in the cardboard and a 9-9.5 being home use only and little to no wear.
The playfeild is gorgeous and clear coated and was $900 by its self I'm told.
So 2 to 2.5K is in the ballpark
Thanks again

Yes, but this playfield is fully populated and functional. $900 is for a bare restored playfield that would need to be swapped in - every single piece above and below transferred over. I've done that. It takes forever. Saying a playfield is worth $900 is true but it's like saying a rebuilt engine for your car is worth $900 (or whatever). Parts are only part of the price. Installing it has is own additional value.

#1550 6 years ago
Quoted from Plumonium:

In Canada, a player's condition will got for around 2000 CAN now. Thats about 1500 usd.
Put in 1000$ in new parts and material, 200hrs of spare time over a year and you got a 4000$ Pinbot. 3000usd. At least. But then you have a one of a kind.

Exactly.

2 weeks later
#1554 6 years ago
Quoted from Kraiklyn:

Hi,
I just acquired this, my first machine ever, and what a classic! I have one broken plastic under the start of the left hand ramp, the one that goes around the ball lock channel. Now, I've searched high and low for a replacement plastics set but it just seems they are out of stock everywhere. Is it just a matter of hitting Ebay for a spare part regularly and hoping?
Thanks in advance!
K.

"Big blue" can be tough to find. Keep asking around, save a search on Ebay and cross your fingers!

1 week later
#1567 6 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Fixing up a friends pinbot. Have worked on several system 11 pins but first pinbot. Hoping for some general help. At power up get the knocks and it says adjust vortex switch. Location? Whst sw am I looking for ? My player 2 display is out so I can't see sw numbers. Need to troubleshoot player 2 display out as well
Also has some wear at all the round inserts by visor. I saw on here it looks like there is an overlay. Where can i get this ?
Thx

The vortex switch may or may not need adjusting. The start up alert is telling you that the switch has not been triggered in awhile. Manually trip the switch and see if the alert goes away the next time you power on. You could also test it in switch edge diagnostic mode. Could be that the vortex entrance needs tweeking if the ball is simply never making it up the ramp far enough to drop through a hole and trigger the switch.

#1569 6 years ago

Often the service switches get gunked up by spilled drinks. Try taking them apart and giving them a good cleaning.

#1596 6 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

My plastic ball guide cover that loops around the vortex ramp is in 3 sections. Does anyone sell these or is there a way to repair them?

Quoted from ZeldaOoT:

I've had good luck repairing clear plastics out of polycarbonate sheets from the local hardware store. If you have the original as a template for the size/shape that helps, but not fully necessary. When cutting curves especially I'll use a jigsaw with a sheet metal blade. The trick is having a piece of plywood underneath the polycarbonate to absorb some of the pressure and prevent it from cracking. Someone else may have a better suggestion but it's worked pretty reliably for me. You can heat and/or buff the edges to make them look smoother at the end.

Yup. You'll need to make one. If you use acrylic you can flame polish the edges. Polycarbonate must be sanded and buffed for a clear edge.

#1615 6 years ago
Quoted from Rasavage:

I think you'd be a thread hero. I feel let I've been waiting for a repro set for ages.

CPR did at least one run (maybe two runs?) as recently as a couple of years ago. They seem to work on a threshold of demand. Maybe everyone who wants a full plastic set should email them to encourage another rerun. I bought a set along with a playfield and mini playfield the last time they ran them. CPR can sometimes be a bit hit or miss in terms of color and overall quality but the pinbot plastics were spot on perfect.

#1628 6 years ago
Quoted from BeatBachs:

Oh this will work great! I've already started to do some touchups in photoshop and if I'm feeling extra bored I might even transfer over and do a pass draw with Illustrator...however, I'm thinking that the photoshop job when I'm done will suffice for a pretty solid temporary replacement. Especially since something is better than nothing at all under the visor!

Redoing it in illustrator would be a waste of time unless you have some unusual need to scale it up or down. A high res scan 1 of an undamaged plastic like this really only needs color adjustment prior to printing.

#1632 6 years ago
Quoted from Plumonium:

As long as the lines are sharp and color bright

Thinking about it more, it's possible that the lines might be blurry and need to be traced since the protective film was still on them when they were scanned. Certainly the colors (including black and white) would be adversely affected by the film. I would wait until Plumonium is ready to install his plastics. Maybe he will rescan them for you without the protective film at that point? Then the job becomes really easy.

#1639 6 years ago

Some more options. Not my work. I wish I could give proper credit but it has been a couple of years since I downloaded these....

PinBot_credits 1 copy.jpgPinBot_credits 1 copy.jpg

PinBot_rulesheet1 copy.jpgPinBot_rulesheet1 copy.jpg

Pinbot_credits v2 copy.jpgPinbot_credits v2 copy.jpg

PinBot_free play copy.jpgPinBot_free play copy.jpg

2 months later
#1726 6 years ago
Quoted from MoSeS_1592:

I have three questions regarding the rules in PinBot...

3) This is probably a dumb question but how do you build the solar value? I know the under-ramp target feeds the points into the solar value (ready-ing it for collection via jackpot) but what exactly builds up the queue of points pending to be inserted in the solar value upon hitting the under-ramp solar value target?

Pop bumpers build ENERGY value which is collected by hitting the target under the ramp. SOLAR value increases with each ramp shot and is collected during multiball when you lock one ball in an eye socket and then shoot the ramp before the timer expires.

2 weeks later
#1771 6 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Try making one, I did for my Jackbot, took about 3 hours and is 99.99% accurate. No printing on it though.

You could scan the art off the original, print it on glossy photo paper, cut it out and adhere it to the underside using optically clear adhesive film.

2 weeks later
#1811 6 years ago
Quoted from neshy:

Hey all,
Recently acquired a Pinbot (my first machine ever). Have worked out most of the issues I've had so far (grounding, LEDs, etc). The last thing bothering me before I can play it properly is an issue with the chest panel.
Current behavior is if I press each of the individual 10 switches with my hand, it activates properly and the lights I expect to will light up. During gameplay, if I smash the top 5 switches with the pinball however, multiple columns seem to activate. Am I right in thinking that this indicates that the top switches need adjusting to be wider?
I would have just opened up the switches to test, but they seem very hard to get to. Do I have to remove the entire motor assembly to get to those? Even then, it seems like it'd be tough. Most others I've had to adjust so far I could finagle my adjustment tool in there somehow. What is the easiest way to get to those switches for adjustment?
Thanks for any help

Multiple columns how? Adjacent columns or columns separated by one or more columns? The ball is big enough to hit two columns at a time if the hit is not dead center on a target.

2 weeks later
#1838 6 years ago

Looks like a CPR bronze. Some of the bronzes were really bad, specifically the sun insert. I bought one (quite inexpensively with a set of plastics) where the sun was actually partially melted. I had to swap the sun insert out of my original playfield, touch up the keyline and clearcoat with 2pac. Note- if this is your situation, the original sun insert is slightly larger than the old one. You will have to either CAREFULLY enlarge the hole in your new playfield or CAREFULLY reduce the circumference of the insert. Still - you got a total deal. Congratulations.

#1844 6 years ago
Quoted from Knine:

Ok, nice to hear I can do something about it. I worked in a body shop for a few years so I should be able to handle the clear coat. The sun does seem to have had some reaction or delaminating. Other than that, i can only find 1 spot with lint. Everything else looks great. Should I wet-sand it and see what happens with the sun? Either way I need to fix it and re-clear yeah?
Here's a few pics.

If you decide to try to fix it be sure to get a good scan of the lettering graphics on the insert as you will need to replace it if you sand into it, which is quite likely. Swapping a pinbot playfield is a lot of work. If I were in your shoes, I would just have fun playing the machine as is for a good long while. If you decide to swap in the new playfield take care of the funky sun before you swap.

#1845 6 years ago

Looking more closely at your pictures I would guess that insert is not salvageable. Probably better to swap in your old one if it's in better shape when the time comes.

#1849 6 years ago
Quoted from Sinistarrett:

Personally I think that sun insert looks kinda cool like that. Sunspots!

Me too. Mine was so bad though that it really affected ball travel so it had to go. (The cloudy spots were actually wavy melted plastic in places on mine.)

#1853 6 years ago

Looks awesome Plumonium

What did you do to make your ramp glow like that?

(And yes, the plastic you asked about is for the mini playfield, left bottom if I recall correctly.)

1 week later
#1870 6 years ago
Quoted from statictrance:

If you aren't in a hurry, I could burn a set. I've been looking for an excuse to buy a large quantity of EPROMS. I took mine out, removed the label, UV cleared, and burned my set without issue anddon't have any 128s laying around right now.

What rom version are you using? How does it differ from stock?

3 weeks later
#1893 6 years ago
Quoted from statictrance:

FYI - for the above and anyone else that needs them - I got my ROM order in. Message me if you need a set of the resetting solar value ROMs.

Just got my custom roms and installed them today. I love finally being rid of the carry over solar value! Now high scores are not so random. If you don't have these installed, I highly recommend getting yourself a pair.

1 week later
#1906 6 years ago
Quoted from PapaJohn:

Problem of leds flickering.....usually I put a paper towl below the new socket I'm soldering in but being lazy I didn't in this case. Upon very close inspection I found a piece of solder that had dripped on a socket below. I removed it and now everything works 100%

Glad you tracked down and solved the problem. Nearly every time I have tried to save one minute by not laying a towel under my work I have spent a bunch of time looking for that missing screw/nut/spring etc that I then dropped or cleaning up stray solder.

2 weeks later
#1929 6 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Can anyone comment on the CPR mirrored backglasses for Pinbot? Are they good? Recommended upgrade?

They are okay imho but I wouldn't get one if you're translite is decent.

Pros: good quality actual glass with mirroring.

Cons (for me at least): blues are different than the original artwork, particularly where greys were replaced with light blue, mirroring is pretty minimal.

#1932 6 years ago
Quoted from subruckus:

Got Pinbot when I bought Centaur on TPA, and initially didn't like it. But the music drew me in. What a great sound package, the High Score track is one of the best in pinball imho. Building the solar value by nailing the ramp over and over then starting multiball is so rewarding.
But I have yet to play one in person... Think I need to get to the local pinball museum, they're so hard to find on location. Hopefully that day is soon.

Like most titles, TPA Pinbot is waaaaay easier than the real thing. Definitely go get your flipping fingers on the real deal.

#1938 6 years ago

I think it has potential...Mylar, keep or not to keep?

I don't think the risk of paint loss during Mylar removal is worth it unless you REALLY want to undertake playfield restoration and clearcoating. That one is nice as is. Clean it, wax it, pop in a couple new balls and have a good time!

#1941 6 years ago

Lots of switch errors...will start digging in this week. I wanna play it so bad...
Where can a guy find the colors decal that goes on top of the raising targets in front of the visor?
Also, just discovered the back ramp is cracked near the exit above the bagatelle. Any repro out there? Advice on how to glue it or protect from further damage?

I believe Freeplay40 is planning on making the ramp (maybe even in transparent blue) when he returns to health.

1 week later
#1952 6 years ago

Where can a fella get replacement decals?

Unless you stumble upon a rarity you'll have to make them yourself.

1 year later
#3745 4 years ago

Going through my parts stock and cleaning some stuff out.

Pinbot roms (u26 & u27 rev 3) that I no longer need.

I also have what I think is a motor cover and adjustment plate for the chest target bank.

Also a brand new (still has plastic protective film on both sides) visor plastic.

PM me with offers if you want any of this stuff.

20190901_105711 (resized).jpg20190901_105711 (resized).jpg

#3747 4 years ago
Quoted from gutz:

Comet and pinbot use very different sound boards. The display driver would be different, too. Alpha in pinbot, numeric in comet.

Right you are - I forgot that PinBot was a later game with alpha numeric displays. I'll edit the post above accordingly. Thanks!

#3758 4 years ago

Going through my parts stock and cleaning some stuff out.
Pinbot roms (u26 &amp; u27 rev 3) that I no longer need.
I also have what I think is a motor cover and adjustment plate for the chest target bank.
Also a brand new (still has plastic protective film on both sides) visor plastic.
PM me with offers if you want any of this stuff.
[quoted image]

Bracket and motor cover sold. Roms and visor plastic still available.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Kingston, OK
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,152 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pulaski, PA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Lighting - Backbox
Twisted Tokens

3,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Clovis, CA
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinheadpierre.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbot-fans-and-owners-club?tu=pinheadpierre and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.