20240112_135811 (resized).jpg
IMG_5901 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5902 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7922 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7923 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7921 (resized).jpeg
541EBD6A-2CA4-43E0-AB4B-B18C7FF31AF0 (resized).jpeg
Pinside_forum_7003307_0 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cudasales.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5286 1 year ago

I just picked up a Pinbot and my buddy "Exidy" snatched up a Scared Stiff. I am looking forward to getting this thing setup and doing some bulletproofing to it.

The 1st thing I am going to do is rebuild the Power Supply. Everything is working fine but whenever I get a new pin to my collection I always rebuild the power supply if it still has the original caps.

I will also add a fuse in between the Bridge Rectifiers. I always do this to my System 6 & 7 games but this is my first System 11.

I will be removing the battery holder and installing a NVRAM.

Any other advice on bulletproofing a System 11 game?

Pinbot (resized).jpgPinbot (resized).jpg

1 month later
#5319 1 year ago

This may have already been asked but I could not find accurate info on it so I am asking it (possibly) again.

I am replacing my old, crusty speakers in Pinbot. The original, main Backbox speaker is a 4" x 10" 8ohm speaker. I can only find the 4" x 10" in a 4ohm and spoke with numerous re-sellers including Parts Express and a couple of others and they all confirmed that they only sell it in a 4ohm version now days.

So, I am assuming that I would need to add a resistor to the 4ohm speaker to make it 8 ohms. My question is, has anyone done this before on their Pinbot with a modern 4" x 10" speaker and did you add a 4ohm resistor or did you simply drop in the new speaker as is and had no issues?

#5321 1 year ago
Quoted from grbgemen:

I installed the BOSS BRS410 4”x10” directly in mine with no modification. It’s 4ohm and it sounds/works good enough for me.

Thanks for your feedback.

Putting a 4ohm in place of an 8ohm speaker would work but I am concerned about it overheating the amp. The amp has to work harder pushing the 4ohm vs the 8ohm speaker. I may just drop the speaker in and see how hot the amp get's without adding a resistor for now and keep a close eye on it but it apparently is working ok for you.

#5323 1 year ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

The speaker in the cabinet is 8 ohm too. Both speakers are wired in parallel giving the amp 4 ohm impedance total. You could replace the cabinet speaker too with a 4 ohm speaker. Then rewire the sound board connector to have both speakers in series for a 8 ohm impedance, this will keep the sound level even as it was before. You may need to turn up the volume a bit tho.

I am replacing them both but I ordered the 8ohm for the cabinet speaker so it is correct to the original. I couldnt find the 8ohm for the back box so I ordered the 4ohm which is why I was thinking of going with a single resistor for it.

#5325 1 year ago

UPDATE - So I simply dropped in the 4" x 10" speaker as "grbgemen" did and the speaker did work ok but I did notice that the sound levels of the speaker and the woofer in the cabinet were not equal. It wasn't a huge difference but because of my OCD I did notice a difference.

I was going to take "Grumpy's" advice next but figured I would try one more thing before I messed with all of that wiring in parallel and series. I installed the 4ohm resistor since it is such a quick and easy install. Fortunately the resistor fixed the sound level issue so everything is good to go and all running at the original 8ohms.

As far as the sound quality, I can tell a difference with the new speakers but it is nothing dramatic which I didn't expect. I replaced the 4" x 10" speaker in the back box and the 6.5" woofer in the cabinet. The only speaker I did not replace was the small 3" one. The technology back in the 80's on these pin's never had anything incredible when it came to the amp's, sound's, hardware and etc. You can spend $200 on new speakers and the quality gain is going to be very minimal in my opinion. It isn't worth spending a lot of $$$ when it comes to the sound in these older pins but I do like replacing the old 35 - 40yr old speakers just because they do deteriorate and the paper breaks down over the years.. I do like the ease of installation with the Pinball Pro and other branded kits but the bang for your buck just isn't there unless you are installing those kit's into later pins that have better soundtracks and better sound hardware to begin with. (Just my opinion)

I was also upgrading the speakers in my Theatre of Magic at the same time as Pinbot and spent a little more $$$ on TOM due to it having DCS, better sound hardware and soundtrack but I still spent less than $160 total for both pins. The installation was easy. The only thing that I spent any significant time on was researching the original specs of both machines.

I do want to thank Grumpy and grbgemen for their advice

PinBot Speaker (resized).jpgPinBot Speaker (resized).jpg

#5329 1 year ago

No I didn't opt to go with an external sub. I just wanted to replace the old, original factory speakers with some new, more modern speakers but stay within a budget and keep it mainly stock.

#5337 1 year ago

I found the correct 4" speaker that Pinbot uses. I replaced the 4" x 10" speaker and the 6.5" woofer as documented above. I wonder if it's worth swapping out the final speaker which is the small 4" on the right side of the back box.

I'm curious if you could really hear any difference with that tiny speaker which is mainly for the higher frequencies. I haven't purchased it yet but would love any feedback.

#5339 1 year ago
Quoted from Staythirsty:

Anyone have a used original credit/match display they would sell me? Please PM me if so. Thanks!

I saw this on ebay today.

ebay.com link: itm

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Kingston, OK
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fargo, ND
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Lighting - Backbox
Twisted Tokens

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cudasales.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbot-fans-and-owners-club?tu=cudasales and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.