20240112_135811 (resized).jpg
IMG_5901 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5902 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7922 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7923 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7921 (resized).jpeg
541EBD6A-2CA4-43E0-AB4B-B18C7FF31AF0 (resized).jpeg
Pinside_forum_7003307_0 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chaskett.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1990 6 years ago

I joined the club last week! I have read all 40 pages of this thread... whew. What an awesome resource! I remember playing this game when i was 10 and just getting destroyed drain after drain. Since then its only been via Wii and TPA.

Its my third machine and the youngest in my collection (first was 1975 "300" second was 1978 Mata Hari). I feel like i am traveling through time of pinball history in sequential order!

The machine is dirty as hell, but is in great shape. Player 1, 2, 4 displays were out and once i got it home noticed the "big blue" top left plastic was badly reproduced. Vortex and playfield look good. New rubbers have already arrived from PBR and Pinscore LED display is on order.

I want to mod for LED and continued a thread here document the process:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbot-led-advice

20180109_214927 (resized).jpg20180109_214927 (resized).jpg

#1992 6 years ago

Are there red lamps in place of the 1251s? This is kinda cool.

openhead_pfield (resized).jpgopenhead_pfield (resized).jpg

#1995 6 years ago

Now here's some dedication to the game

DJyod9IX0AAlH3L (resized).jpegDJyod9IX0AAlH3L (resized).jpeg

1 week later
#2042 6 years ago

I started doing a light vacuming of the playfield and pulled the blue shoulder ramp to find the switches are connected to the bottom. What's the best way to deal with this removal? Desolder the switches? Cut the wire and install new connectors? If yes to connectors, anyone have a link to what kind and a tutorial?

#2044 6 years ago
Quoted from Impzilla:

The switch wires have plugs on them under the playfield.
I did not know that and cut the wires - added plugs and then found the factory plugs the next day........

DOH!! Thanks for the heads up!

#2060 6 years ago

Hey all! I have torn down the playfield and noticed a few things...

Energy flashers aren't flashing. Never have since i bought the machine a few weeks ago. I thought lamps were blown until i replaced them and still no go. It looks like i am missing a resistor from the flasher board. Do you think a new board will solve this? Marco is out though it looks like they may have a new model to replace the old? Is there another source for the original?

The three kickout plastics are white. What color should they be? I have see red for the eyes in some pictures.

My mask under the visor is busted. Anyone have a line on a new one? Are the plastic protectors from marco worth it?

20180131_151057 (resized).jpg20180131_151057 (resized).jpg
20180109_220913 (resized).jpg20180109_220913 (resized).jpg

#2062 6 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Just some eye candy!

How did you install the speaker grille? Is it held on with adhesive?

#2064 6 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Just install a new resistor on the board.

I can do big dumb soldering jobs, but I have never done board work. Know a good tutorial I can watch?

#2066 6 years ago

Impzilla & GRUMPY ,Ya'll are the bee knees. Red eject holes and a 10w 5ohm resistor ordered from Marco.

#2071 6 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Did you get one?

No. I am handy with autocad and my bro-in-law is a tool and dye maker and says he can make me one if i provide the files and material. Love the concept.

#2085 6 years ago

Ok... dumb question... i have never had a machine with a 2nd playfield... does the feme-bot mini field get waxed? No, right? Since it's plexi?

#2087 6 years ago

Good enough for me!

20180201_230914 (resized).jpg20180201_230914 (resized).jpg

20180201_232128 (resized).jpg20180201_232128 (resized).jpg

#2089 6 years ago
Quoted from sethbenjamin:

Wax is your friend. It keeps down friction, which keeps things from wearing and keeps the game play fast. Vid1900 recommends waxing *anything the ball touches* that isn't rubber. You can't really overdo it. (But use a good, solid carnauba wax, not one of those liquid waxes - they don't build well or offer much protection, and they often contain silicone, which makes clearcoating more dicey if you or somebody in the future decide to do a restoration.) Once I started using good wax, it was like a night and day difference.

Good to know! I have a tin of Miguel's carnauba.
Also doing a little reinforcing of the vortex with super glue! Hopefully this is the only vortex i will ever need.

20180202_001022 (resized).jpg20180202_001022 (resized).jpg

#2093 6 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

I don't believe that super glue will do any reinforcing. I would say something like 2 part epoxy to adhere a strip of sheet metal or plastic to the back of the top end of the vortex might be better.

wayout440 , I swear by it. That Locktite PROFESSIONAL LIQUID Super Glue is some strong stuff ($8 at Michael's). Make sure it is the PROFESSIONAL LIQUID type. My sunglasses broke in half 6 months ago at the nose bridge and I used this stuff. I use the sunglasses daily and they don't budge. It drys clear and you can sand it down if needed.

Several years ago I read something about it on a pinball forum and have used it on the underside of cracked plastics that can't be replaced. I also used it on my cracked in half red Pin* Bot topper. Within 10 minutes I could hold either side of the 2' long topper with no sag. the stuff is like concrete!

On the vortex, I've done several layers to build it up. Apply, wait several hours, Apply, wait several hours... etc. You also have to prop it at the right angle and watch it to make sure the glue is pooling, and not slowly moving to drip off the edge.

Here's an explanation of how this glue works:

https://pinballrehab.com/1-articles/tools-and-supplies/184-super-glue

...and a video of a suspended 5.2 ton truck being held with 8 drops of the glue

#2096 6 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Is that a liquid or a gel? Have you looked on ebay to get it cheaper?

wayout440 it's the liquid, and I used the 40% off any one item at Michael's coupon currently available, so it was only $5. I had to buy a new one because i didn't let the glue dry on the applicator before putting the cap back on. DOH!

The liquid can flow into hairline cracks. The gel probably would have been a better application for the vortex, but I mainly bought the new bottle to repair and stop cracking on the under-visor face plastic.

#2097 6 years ago
Quoted from wizard_mode:

The most effective way to keep your spiral ramp from breaking is to install the correct shooter rod spring to keep the ball from blasting up there like a bullet!

I do have the red spring, but still noticed a hairline crack forming. I'm not sure much can help the 30 years of abuse from a dense metal ball hitting a plastic piece that is becoming more brittle with age. Plastic breaks down over time... that's why OSHA requires workers to buy new hard hats every few years and child car seats have an expiration date to be replaced. Figured better safe than sorry.

#2100 6 years ago
Quoted from wizard_mode:

Yes true dat. In that case, Cliffy's metal flap reinforcement outlined well on Steve's page (http://www.stevechannel.com/pinbot.htm) seems to be the best reinforcement. Dreaming now, but how sweet would it be to weld up a stainless steel vortex ramp???

Yeah, I read about that... Just didn't want to do that much work... Thought I'd try super glue and see how it holds up. Also thought about working on a 3D-print file so anyone can just print a new one. I started tinkering with it last night and geometries are hard to nail down. Don't know how much farther I'm going to go with this... But here is my start. Pencil trace of vortex, with red graphically drawn in to represent top view. And then a snap shot of my first attempt to convert to autocad. Idealy I'd like to emboss the arches and point values into the ramp walls to eliminate the need for stickers.

Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG

Vortex trace scan (resized).jpegVortex trace scan (resized).jpeg

#2102 6 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Did you guys know that covering a spot os super glue with baking soda hardens it instantly and it's actually stronger then if you let it harden naturally.

Interesting... Does it discolor the glue if the glue dries clear?

#2109 6 years ago

I was tempted to buy some new decals for pinbot, but since i am a cheap bastard, i thought i'd do a little experiment with the hairdryer. My wife has a very nice professional grade hairdryer so your results may vary... I figured if i heated up the old vinyl stickers, it would reactivate the adhesive and make the curled edges calm down. This worked way better than i expected and only took a few minutes!

20180203_134710 (resized).jpg20180203_134710 (resized).jpg
20180203_135034 (resized).jpg20180203_135034 (resized).jpg
20180203_134701 (resized).jpg20180203_134701 (resized).jpg

#2110 6 years ago

Was able to flatten the plastics today too! Oven set to 225, popped the plastics in on a parchment covered cookie sheet for about 5 minutes while watching them like a hawk. As soon as they laid flat, i pulled them and pressed them between 2 playfield glasses and parchment paper. Worked like a charm. They have to be clean first so you don't bake and press in the dirt.

20180203_125942 (resized).jpg20180203_125942 (resized).jpg
20180203_130914 (resized).jpg20180203_130914 (resized).jpg
20180203_141227 (resized).jpg20180203_141227 (resized).jpg

#2112 6 years ago
Quoted from Plumonium:

I concur, blue spring is the way to go.

Blue spring ordered! Thanks guys... coulda sworn i read somewhere it was the red spring.

#2115 6 years ago

Anyone have a list of brand and out of the box paint colors for touch ups that match well? I found the below in a google search from Butterflygirl24 listing the following:

I have done a couple Pin*Bot PFs.... the colors I used are Americana
acrylics...
Red= True Red
Orange= Tangelo
Blue=Calypso
light gray (locks)= sky gray and or slate gray (depending your
particular PF and if you are painting the entire area, or just trying
to match for a small spot)
Dark blue=True Blue
Dark Gray=Neutral gray
Yellow=Yellow Light (Bright yellow is very close, and I have been
having a hard time finding yellow light...)

#2117 6 years ago

Anyone have a decent scan of the playfield? PM me if so.

#2140 6 years ago
Quoted from wizard_mode:

Assuming you already checked PBR? If you do not see them, email them and ask by part number. They probably have them...
http://www.pbresource.com/pfdroptar.htm#wms

Its faster just to call them.

#2165 6 years ago

3/8" 16 (or course thread) 3.5" hex bolts. 2.5" was not long enough for me.

#2184 6 years ago

Anybody have a rubber ring chart playfield diagram?

#2185 6 years ago

Nevermind... found one.

ea3d574c467fd6dcb5eb8f1a0172c010a67ee795 (resized).jpgea3d574c467fd6dcb5eb8f1a0172c010a67ee795 (resized).jpg

#2203 6 years ago

I manufactured a new ADV. "X" sticker using my wife's vinyl cutter!

20180216_143429 (resized).jpg20180216_143429 (resized).jpg

20180216_161131 (resized).jpg20180216_161131 (resized).jpg

#2207 6 years ago

It was just a one-off, but I suppose I could make some more if there is interest ...but first i need to get my Pinbot put back together!

#2221 6 years ago
Quoted from dontfeed:

Finally getting around to installing my new plastics. What is the best way to get the visor off so I can replace the hand painted p.o.s. face that's under it? Just remove the cotter pins and washers?

Yep, remove cotter pins and washers on both sides. Then unscrew the two hex screws holding down the metal plate on the playfield. Niw you should be able to lift off the mask and connected base plate.

Here's more explanation (and an excellent blog on a pinbot rehab):

http://www.enteryourinitials.com/2014/10/17/pinbot-restoration-visor/#more-1320

#2228 6 years ago

Got her put back together, all nice and clean! Still have to finish putting LEDs under the playfield. When I got this at the begining of January, your finger would be black after swiping the playfield and only the player 3, credit, and ball displays were working. The lower half of the backbox GI didn't work and one pop bumper switch wasn't registering.

20180220_232802 (resized).jpg20180220_232802 (resized).jpg

#2260 6 years ago

I had noticed my visor 5 bank drop target was uneven and when I touched it, it wobbled quite a bit. I pulled the whole visor motor assembly and found the two black plastic pieces have been broken and glued back together several times. I've glued the whole thing back together with Locktite Professional Super Glue (which is amazing, by the way, and you should own some) for now, but have created some 3D models of the two pieces to recreate the unobtanium parts with a 3D printer. I'll let you all know how it turns out...

Visor 5 Drop Model (resized).JPGVisor 5 Drop Model (resized).JPG

2018-02-27 11.02.27 (resized).jpg2018-02-27 11.02.27 (resized).jpg

#2263 6 years ago
Quoted from someotherguy:

Which parts are unobtainium? Might check with James see what he has in stock: https://www.pinballinc.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=34_100
Richard

Interesting... well now that i've drawn them up i'd rather print them.

Quoted from Gogojohnnyquack:

Is this a design that you would put on Shapeways for purchase?

Maybe. I will have to look into how it works... I'd like to be compensated on my drafting time and don't know how i feel about someone else making a profit on a model I created.

#2264 6 years ago

I also have this light baffle for the visor and mouth in the back box ready for printing. "Pinbot circuits activated!" I wanted to incorporate the eyes into pinball life's baffle:

https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=3928

Baffle Model (resized).JPGBaffle Model (resized).JPG

#2268 6 years ago

Gogojohnnyquack

Wolfmarsh just posted one of the pieces to shapeways.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/ZBV2NZAFQ/pinbot-part

Quoted from MustangPaul:

Is this the same assembly as in Jackbot?

I would imagine so, though I don't have a jackbot.

#2269 6 years ago

Hey All! Just finished putting in LEDs on my Pinbot. This was my first attempt at LED-ing a machine. I had alot of fun researching and working this out and am really pleased with the results. I'm not a fan of the washed out Blue/Red schemes. I tried adding a few Red/Blue GI's above the playfield and didn't like it, with the exception of 1 red and 1 blue under the slingshot plastics to make the thumbs pop.

This scheme assumes no flasher #89 and #1251 incandescent bulbs will be replaced, so no modifications to your machine are needed... just put in the LEDs and play!

Attached are the diagrams I created if you don't want to spend an extra $100 on a kit. The only thing I did differently was to add 3 purples under the left 3 bank drop target 41,42,43 inserts (to counter-balance the purple feme-bot in the backbox) and I went the cheap route without using non-ghosting bulbs. There is a faint flickering in the bayonet underplayfield bulbs, so I've updated my schedule accordingly. Regular wedge bulbs in the matrix worked just fine for me, so I didn't change those to non-ghosting.

Also, I want to call attention to the 2 red towers below the vortex ramp as they really make the thing glow! Additionally, the slow color change bulb in the back box between "Pin" and "Bot" works well with the color bleed into the red and blue.

Hope this helps people out there...

20180228_094040 (resized).jpg20180228_094040 (resized).jpg
BACKBOX LED (resized).jpgBACKBOX LED (resized).jpg
PLAYFIELD LED (resized).jpgPLAYFIELD LED (resized).jpg
LAMP SCHEDULE (resized).jpgLAMP SCHEDULE (resized).jpg

#2273 6 years ago
Quoted from LateCenturyMods:

If you post this anywhere, please link to it. If I get access to a printer I would definitely send you a tip.

Quoted from Chosen_S:

Cool! If I need them when I start fixing my game up I’d like to buy a set possibly!

Here's a video of my LED installation. At the end you can see how my light baffle mockup works.

#2281 6 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Is it just me, or is the vid messed up on YouTube? The video keeps pausing, but the audio and tracking keeps moving

Not just you. It worked when first uploaded, but seems to have gone corrupt. I re-uploaded the link above.

#2283 6 years ago
Quoted from mrWol64:

The mirror blades show you the theme across the playfield.

Ooh! Where did you get the mirror blades or how did you make them?

#2289 6 years ago

goingincirclez was this your Pinbot at the louisville arcade expo? Looks nice!

IMG950132 (resized).jpgIMG950132 (resized).jpg

#2297 6 years ago

Hey all! Thought this might be of interest to some... that big blue plastic in the back corner that is always broken is being re manufactured by Planetary Pinball for JackBot. Based on the scan I have for pinbot, it looks like it will work, but may need some modification. Also as the back area is clear, it will probably brighten up the ramp and that dark corner. In looking at my game, I don't think missing the rest of the blue is going to matter. Anyways, for $12 I'm willing to be the guinea pig.

http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PPS-31-2313-4

Big Blue Full Scan (resized).jpgBig Blue Full Scan (resized).jpg

Planetary Jackbot replacement (resized).jpgPlanetary Jackbot replacement (resized).jpg

#2298 6 years ago

Also, I have an autocad drawing I did from the scan I have (still need to match the colors and confirm size with machine). I was going to remake this piece, but may scrap the project if this works.

EDIT: Just realized i forgot to include the clear part under the ramp.

Big Blue Remake (resized).JPGBig Blue Remake (resized).JPG

#2305 6 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

Anyone else notice either of these on a Pinbot they've shopped?

Yes, i have seen this on several machines, not just PinBot. I usually put very thin washers on top of the posts A) to prevent further indentaion B) to get the plastics to lay at the same height/plane. I also like to replace all the off-white/dirty nylon acorn nuts with shiny stainless steel acorns to give it that classy EM look.

#2316 6 years ago

Hey guys. I have the material to make 64 of these ADV X sticker remakes. PM me if you want one.

20180216_143429 (resized).jpg20180216_143429 (resized).jpg

20180216_161131 (resized).jpg20180216_161131 (resized).jpg

#2317 6 years ago
Quoted from chaskett:

Hey all! Thought this might be of interest to some... that big blue plastic in the back corner that is always broken is being re manufactured by Planetary Pinball for JackBot. Based on the scan I have for pinbot, it looks like it will work, but may need some modification. Also as the back area is clear, it will probably brighten up the ramp and that dark corner. In looking at my game, I don't think missing the rest of the blue is going to matter. Anyways, for $12 I'm willing to be the guinea pig.
http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PPS-31-2313-4

To follow up on this... i got the Jackbot plastic yesterday. I had to drill a few small holes and cut out one of the larger flasher holes. The whole process took about 45 minutes. For $12 i'd say this is a win! It even makes the ramp glow a little.

20180311_210141 (resized).jpg20180311_210141 (resized).jpg

20180311_215412 (resized).jpg20180311_215412 (resized).jpg

20180311_215423 (resized).jpg20180311_215423 (resized).jpg

20180311_220113 (resized).jpg20180311_220113 (resized).jpg

#2331 6 years ago

United States Space Robot (U.S.S.R.)

20180314_152509 (resized).jpg20180314_152509 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#2350 6 years ago

ADV X (resized).jpgADV X (resized).jpg
Hi all! I was able to make a batch of ADV. "X" decals this week and just put together letters for all the paid orders which will be mailed out Monday. If you have PM'd me and requested a decal, I will have that amount of decals reserved for you, but will not mail until payment is received. Below is a list of current requests. Thanks to everyone who has been interested!
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
If you are interested in a decal, but have not contacted me, I still have several left from the batch I have weeded. PM me for more details.

1 week later
#2352 6 years ago

Anyone own the cliffy protectors for pinbot? Considering ordering some and want some honest opinions.

JB-PB-Target (resized).JPGJB-PB-Target (resized).JPG

PBeyes1 (resized).jpgPBeyes1 (resized).jpg

PBeject-wide (resized).jpgPBeject-wide (resized).jpg

#2355 6 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

but is it really worth it for the eyes?...all the wear happens down here

I think they're more to protect the wood from eroding over time like so...

#2361 6 years ago
Quoted from CthulhuTilted:

What is the cost on those, so we don't all have to email the poor guy and ask.

$93 and includes The Flipper guides and shipping.

#2371 6 years ago

For the $90 plus shipping (and taxes for CA residents) you get 2 enhanced flipper frames, 3 kickout hole protectors, the moving bank protector, and ball ejector protector.

A-8108-Mod (resized).jpgA-8108-Mod (resized).jpg

PBsolarvalue1 (resized).jpgPBsolarvalue1 (resized).jpg

396db0ea035acb2ae9d526fe267c7d8c5eda131e (resized).jpg396db0ea035acb2ae9d526fe267c7d8c5eda131e (resized).jpg

281194177f481a72f03df6db577c97d8e60b2c14 (resized).jpg281194177f481a72f03df6db577c97d8e60b2c14 (resized).jpg

85598255dabbf047ed1aa25354d696018432e7af (resized).jpg85598255dabbf047ed1aa25354d696018432e7af (resized).jpg

#2387 6 years ago

Get your backbox Visor Light Baffle here:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/3U4QQ3CS3/pinbot-backbox-visor-baffle-stand-alone?optionId=65240178&li=marketplace

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

This backbox light baffle modification for the 1986 Williams Pinb*Bot pinball machine eliminates light bleed from the adjacent bulbs from lighting up the face, allowing it to light up with more clarity only when intended. I remember playing this machine as a kid, only seeing the eyes behind the visor occasionally light up and getting freaked out. With LEDs the lights are so bright that they bleed over and expose the face when you're not meant to see it, so it's not as dramatic when the eyes light up. The visor baffle eliminates the LED light bleed and gives you the designers' intended effect with modern LED lighting. Its a must have modifcation for the Pinbot collector!

INSTALLATION

Find the midpoint between the two eye light sockets and draw a straight line with a ruler to the midpoint of the middle bulb to light up the orange square. Use the triangular points to center the baffle horizontally on the line. Use the elongated screw holes for minor vertical adjustment.

#2391 6 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Is the STL file available or is this up on Thingiverse?

No. I'd prefer to make money for my efforts to support my pinball habit.

#2392 6 years ago

Get your enhanced 5 drop target base and 5 drop target back here:

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/chaskett

Base (resized).pngBase (resized).png
Pinbot/Jackbot Enhanced 5 Drop Target Base
This is an enhanced underplayfield drop target base for the 1986 Williams Pin*Bot and 1990 Williams Jack*Bot pinball machines. This piece is often found broken or glued together on the pinball machine. Having a new base is ideal to keep the moving target rigid and free from wiggling in the up or down position. I have enhanced the slim piece that attches to the under side of the playfield by thickening the material and adding a diagonal cant to make the piece able to take more abuse.

Back (resized).pngBack (resized).png
Pinbot/Jackbot 5 Drop Target Back
This is a replacement drop target back for the 1986 Williams Pin*Bot and 1990 Williams Jack*Bot pinball machines. This piece is often found broken as it is constantly getting hammered by the silver ball. Having a new back is ideal to keep the moving target rigid and free from wiggling in the up or down position.

20180226_154345 (resized).jpg20180226_154345 (resized).jpg

#2396 6 years ago
Quoted from statictrance:

Not to be 'that guy' - but Pinball Inc. has some original plastic injection molds for Bally/WMS - including the target bank brackets for significantly less. Not sure what 'enhanced' means - but just want to provide options. I've bought and installed them in mine and they've worked perfectly.
https://www.pinballinc.com/index.php?route=product/search&search=pinbot
Also - if you just want the bottom backbox baffle - Pinball life has to covered for a sweet 10 spot

Well I didn't realize those bank target parts were already available. Honestly, I wouldn't have gone to the trouble if I had known these were available.

Enhanced (per the description) means I thickened the bottom leg from 1mm thick (original) to 4mm and put a 45 degree thickened cant to strengthen the joint. My prototypes in PLA kept breaking at the 90 degree angle.

I know its hard to believe, but I'm only making +/- $5 per piece. Shapeways is expensive! I tried to get them to use PLA instead of the hard plastic to pass the savings on, but they said they won't do that for consumer products.

Yes, I talked with Scott at Pinball Life and told him I had the mask available to compliment his 5 light baffle and asked if he wanted to sell it. He was not interested, though liked the idea. I was not planning to make a stand-alone mouth baffle to respect his business. Hopefully no one rips off my face baffle. So anyways, there's a good chuck of time wasted... oh well... learned alot.

Also, way to be "that guy"

#2398 6 years ago
Quoted from someotherguy:

March 27th on post #2262 I mentioned that James (Pinball Inc) had parts available that you had referred to as unobtainium, and provided a direct link ( https://www.pinballinc.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=34_100 )
Your response was:

Which believe me, I totally get! You'd put the time into it, and that sucks to abandon. I do get it. But I also know that people like James put a lot of money and effort, a huge amount, into what they provide to our hobby - and I like to reward them with my business.
Hey; in the event that supply runs out and they are no longer made - it's awesome that you took the time to draw 'em up so they can be had that way.
Richard

Now that you post that, I do remember your previous link... sorry. Somehow i had it in my head that they were unobtainium with the exception of wolfmarsh's base variation on shapeways. Pinbalinc was not on my radar.

I felt a little wierd about the high prices of shapeways anyway, so i have taken them down.

Glad to (again) see this stuff is afforably available

I had made these for myself at my library's digital media lab when i thought there was no other option and was trying to make it available for others too.

1 month later
#2445 5 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Can anyone point me to a decent tear down tutorial? Specifically, I’m replacing the clear ramp and the spiral ramp. How deep am I going to need to go to get those off and new ones on?
Also, the main reason I’m doing this is the actuator arm for the top hole of the spiral ramp is bent out of place and never triggers. Is that a specific part that I need to source before teardown? I don’t want to get in there and then not have what I need to put it all together.

Plumonium has an excellently detailed blog of his pinbot restore. It was invaluable to me as i worked through issues on mine. Scroll to the bottom and keep clicking "older entries" to start at the first entry, read the whole damn thing, and you will be Pinbot expert.

http://www.enteryourinitials.com/category/pinball/pinbot-williams-1985/

#2446 5 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Also, the main reason I’m doing this is the actuator arm for the top hole of the spiral ramp is bent out of place and never triggers. Is that a specific part that I need to source before teardown? I don’t want to get in there and then not have what I need to put it all together.

You can probably bend the wire back in place without buying a new one. Also, you might want to check that the wire is attached to the switch under the playfield and the switch is gapped properly first before tearing everything off. Hope this helps.

#2449 5 years ago
Quoted from Plumonium:

Me and enteryourinitials are 2 different dudes. Still a lot of good ressources in his blog. Cheers!

Somehow i had it locked in my head this was you! Now i am questioning my own reality... c'est ne pas une pipe.

1 week later
#2475 5 years ago

for the bubbled decals, you can try heating them up with a hair dryer and pushing the bubbles down. It worked for me, though mine weren't that bad. How to die the ramp, get new decals, etc. can be found within this 50 page thread.

1 month later
#2555 5 years ago
Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

Hey All,
Just throwing out a big thank you to freeplay40 for the beautiful pinbot ramp and chaskett for the high quality "ADV X" sticker. Definitely worth the investment!

WOW! What a difference! Thanks for posting.

#2557 5 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

chaskett, I'd like to buy once of those "ADV X" stickers if you have any more. Thanks!

I realize I have several requests for stickers. Summer is in full swing and I haven't had time to make more. The kids will be back in school in a few weeks at which time i hope to make more. Stay tuned...

#2560 5 years ago
Quoted from mrWol64:

Working from home today ,.. hit a troublesome issue that had me fuming ,.. out to the lounge, flicked the Pinbot on, bashed off 3.5 million and controlled the universe on my 3rd game , returned to work in a much better frame of mind.
Pinball,.. Pinbot,.. jeez some days it just doesn’t get any better.
Just saying

I work from home and do the same thing Its a great stress reliever.

#2562 5 years ago
Quoted from chaskett:

I realize I have several requests for stickers. Summer is in full swing and I haven't had time to make more. The kids will be back in school in a few weeks at which time i hope to make more. Stay tuned...

I've now made more Adv X decals. PM me for details if you're interested.

#2573 5 years ago

I like the easier settings so its fun for everyone who steps up to play. Mine is set for Five Ball with extra balls set at 2,000,000 and each mill after. At first i had timed shots set up for infinity, but that was no fun. Now I have the planet drops set to 60 seconds and the solar value set to less. All items carry over for each ball. Of course you have to set the planet to URANUS so the score reads "REACH URANUS FOR SPECIAL" because its too damn funny. for bragging rights, its set so the high score never clears (unless i replace the battery).

#2577 5 years ago
Quoted from statictrance:

I'd bet that your solar value will build until it tops out at 4 million. There is no setting to turn this off - you need to burn or obtain a copy of the hacked ROMs for Pinbot. These reset jackpot ROMs exist for a number of different Sys 11 games. (I have burned and installed them in my Pinbot... plan to put them in my Swords of Fury next).

I will vouch for Statictrances ROMs. They work great in Pinbot. Took all of 5 minutes to install.

#2583 5 years ago
Quoted from Impzilla:

I have one installed and it works great !

Yep, me too.

#2586 5 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

I just pulled mine off route today after it developed some weird power issues. It was getting regular use so it's time to shop out anyway. Now that I have it in my shop, I want to bullet-proof while I clean her up and fix her innards.
What should I do now that I can tear her apart at my leisure? I have to track down the power issues as it won't stay on and many of the backglass GI's aren't working (electrical issue), and the displays are starting to get sketchy.
Oh and here's my list of upgrades so far:
Freeplay40's ramps/visor + chaskett's AdvX sticker
Statictrance's hacked rom
Full Cliffys
Pop bumpers need rebuilding, so I may add lights to the caps.
??? any other ideas ???
I already have white LED GI and color-matched insert LEDs (Comets) and Titan rubber. Playfield is marginal - some planking but no major wear, no mylar (holding out for a new CPR). Upper playfield is really nice, red ramp is in great shape. Cabinet paint is really, really bad. Backglass signed by Oursler!

There is also the Pinball Life mouth light baffle:

and my face light baffle:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/3U4QQ3CS3/pinbot-backbox-visor-baffle-stand-alone?optionId=65240178

#2616 5 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Posted this first batch photo of the blue/red ramp in the Freeplay40 ramp thread...
[quoted image]

a16fce729ecf1c3147dfde7dedb1738b (resized).jpga16fce729ecf1c3147dfde7dedb1738b (resized).jpg
1 week later
#2647 5 years ago

Is there any interest in a new minimalist decal mod for the transparent blue/red pinbot ramp that Freeplay40 is making? I have an idea to do something in black vinyl that pays homage to the original design, but allows light to shine through. I've aquired some high resolution scans of the original stickers in order to do this.

#2649 5 years ago

Here's what I was thinking for the new custom decal for the freeplay40 translucent blue/red ramps. This would be large transfer decal in glossy black vinyl. Therefore all the stars and everything white would be the blue ramp. I'd do something similar for the right which would glow red. What does everyone think?

Left Draft 2 (resized).jpgLeft Draft 2 (resized).jpg
#2651 5 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

Looks good, but why not do it 4 color? It would look way better with the grey, yellow and orange bands/outlines, and white stars on the black background, and the white stripes on the planet.

I do cut vinyl, not screen printing. There would be a lot if waste and a lot of man hours to cut and align multiple colors.

#2653 5 years ago

The more i look at it i don't think you're missing much leaving out the yellow and gray. Assuming the new ramp would glow, any color on top of it would most likely be silhouetted anyway.

20180815_195658 (resized).jpg20180815_195658 (resized).jpg
#2656 5 years ago
Quoted from Impzilla:

I think I need to see the new ramps in place with the flashers working. My fear is the flashers are going to shine through the transparent blue and red portions too much.
The vinyl black out portions might need to be bigger around the flashers to cut down any bleed though. ???
Really need to see one installed to be sure.

Totally agree. I am anxious to see video of one installed in a game situation.

#2657 5 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

But I've been thinking, I'm not sure black will show up very well against the dark transparent blue.

Don't forget that the vinyl is opaque so its more of a play between light and shadow / positive and negative space than color hues. Any vinyl color will read as black when backlit in a dim setting. I really think black is the best choice in this situation.

To get the effect you are looking for you might be better off transfering your old sticker temporarily onto a cutting surface, cutting out any blue/red areas with an exacto knife, and them transfering the sticker to the new transparent ramp.

#2659 5 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

Oh, will it be underlit?

That is the assumption i am working on. I have the jackbot replacement big blue plastic installed in mine and it really brightens up this corner. With a blue transparent ramp, it should really glow.

2 weeks later
#2704 5 years ago
Quoted from Tomass:

Well I made the 12 hr journey to pick up my $300 Pinbot project and join the club. The good:
Playfield looks great with mylar that looks to be factory.
Backglass looks excellent
Appears complete and I have not spotted any broken or missing plastics.
Original topper (not in pic to fit in my jeep).
The Bad:
Battery damage to the board as suspected.
No coin door as an op removed when it was purchased about 30 yrs ago.
Cracked piece on the spiral ramp.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Looks like a fun project! Welcome to the club.

1 week later
#2757 5 years ago

Spent awhile searching for pinbot quotes on the interwebs. Finally found them. Thought i would post here for posterity:

"Pinbot circuits activated" - Start button

"I am in your control" - Complete grid (open visor)

"Partial link-up" - lock one ball

"Now I see you" - lock two balls, start multiball

"Shoot for solar value" - relock ball in multiball

"Energy transferred" - collect energy value under ramp

"Tilt - all data lost" - tilt

"We control the universe"- light all the planets to the sun.

"Million activated" - When you make it to the 10th vortex shot on the same ball. The 100,000 skill shot is worth x10.

"I see you" - Shortly after a game is finished.

#2758 5 years ago

Everytime people who are unfamiliar with pinball come over to play my machines, they're unsure of how to start the game. I want to light the start button with a blinking light tied to the "game over" light. Not sure how to do this... is it as easy as wiring a new socket to the game over light in the back box?

Also want to make a custom sticker that encircles the start button that says "activate circuits".

Additionally, want to design a custom coin door sticker with the willams logo saying "Williams - We control the Universe" with the rainbow chest background.

2 weeks later
#2793 5 years ago

Anyone have a source for 24v bayonet LEDs to replace the 1251 incandescents at the eyes?

#2795 5 years ago
Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

I get my 1251s from Cointaker

ChrisPINk25 can these replace 1251s without messing with the circuitry?

#2798 5 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

I bought a slew of these (the 13 LED version) and they work great:
ebay.com link » Car Lamp Ba15s 1156 13 18 24 30 5050 Smd Led Light Bulb Dc12v Ac Dc 12 24v D

Damn. Just put in my order at cointaker which is selling them for 2x the amount.

3 weeks later
#2818 5 years ago
Quoted from Larrymc:

I have the same problem @mhkohne had with removing the backbox glass from my #Pinbot. It just won’t go up another 2mm that I need to get it out. I’ve tried everything short of breaking it, including pressing on the glass from the back through the vent holes while lifting it, and trying it while the backbox is folded down. It just won’t budge. Is there another trick, or is it just a matter getting it to clear the wood inside the top of the box as mhkohne suggested? Thanks!

If nothing else works, drill out the lock with a large diameter metal bit (1/4") using oil to lubricate and keep the bit from over heating and breaking.

3 weeks later
#2872 5 years ago
Quoted from chaosrooster:

not sure if they're still available but chaskett made a nice lift ramp decal as well.

Yep! Still have some if anyone is interested send me a PM.

3 weeks later
#2912 5 years ago
Quoted from sethbenjamin:

I'd be keen on getting a pair of ramp decals to go on Freeplay's nice new ramp! I have the others but didn't know where to get those!

I have the ADV X Decal for his lift ramp and am working on some updated decals to show off the transparency.

#2922 5 years ago
Quoted from RichWolfson:

I would like one of them. Two I suppose for next time in 10 years. <G>
///Rich

RichWolfson , I sent you a message via Pinsidemail. Thanks for the interest in the ADV X decal.

ramp (resized).jpgramp (resized).jpg
#2925 5 years ago
Quoted from Rat:

A friend just installed the Pinduino LED kit DIY kit from lyonsden for my Pinbot and it looks fantastic how many others here have this kit?
I already want to tweak the code, I'm noticing that some of the slower more subtle effects that I see watching the attract mode are not often seen during gameplay, I would like to tweak it to see more of those if I can. I had a quick look at the code to see what triggers are available, I would really like to add a slow "runway" effect for when the Solar Value is light. I can't see a trigger for that but maybe it ties in with one of the backbox light triggers or something?
Has anyone here tweaked the code for Pin-bot in the Pinduino? I'm sure I will learn how to do it all in time just getting excited
Also does anyone know where I can buy red / blue #1251 bulbs for my visor eyes or coloured covers for them? I would even use a DIY coloured cover if anyone has ideas for that as long as it doesn't get too hot and catch on fire? Not really sure if I would like them coloured better than the clear original, has anyone done this and got a video to show?

Here's a similar thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1251-color-led-bulbs-anyone-carry-these

I bought the 1251 LEDs from Cointaker and they look great in the back box. Haven't gotten into the playfield yet, but was only planning to replace the eyes above the playfield and leave the ones below the red kickouts alone (cause those little suckers are expensive).

1 week later
#2937 5 years ago

Getting closer to a final design of modded decals for FreePlay40's blue/red transparent pinbot ramps... white areas will be the transparent blue. Staying true to the original, but was thinking about adding transparent planets in the black or something to make it more original. Thoughts?

Left Draft 3 (resized).JPGLeft Draft 3 (resized).JPG
#2948 5 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

I wouldn't put LED flash lamps in a PinBot. They are bright as is and if you sell it later without putting the warming resistors back on, many buyers will see that as something else to do to fix it. Also, there are a few (I think 4) 1251 lamps under the playfield near the visor and eyes. These are the same size as 89 flash lamps but are NOT. Don't put 89s in there.

Cointaker 1251 LEDs can be added to eyes without modification.

#2954 5 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

What about the other LED flashers in the coinaker kit? It seems like the kit comes with a bunch of 89/906 bulbs. If you put those in the game what happens?

I don't know. I didn't want to pay over $200 fot the kit. I am considering buying some of the 89s. I am also curious if any modification is needed.

Here's a link to my LED setup munus the 1251 LEDs:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbot-led-advice#post-4255397

#2965 5 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

Does anyone sell the clear plastic cover for the spiral ramp? I would love to get one that is not yellow :/.
[quoted image]

Just clean with Novus 1 & 2. When you install comet natural white bulbs, all the yellowing of clear stuff and yellowed white on the playfield isn't noticeable. It all looks bright white again!

#2967 5 years ago
Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

I used novus on the spiral cover ramp and it didn’t remove much of the yellowing. But I agree it is barely noticeable under glass.

I have read about doing a hydrogen-peroxide bath to take away the yellowing on plastics but have never done it.

1 week later
#2995 5 years ago
Quoted from gutz:

Home made face baffle: i had all the materials lying around, so it was technically free.
Materials:
Posterboard/stiff paper
1/16" polycarbonate ("lexan") 1" x 24"
1 hr cure epoxy
Sandpaper
Black spray paint
Cut a strip of poster board 1" x 20" ish. Working on the back of the translite, form the outside shape and bends to outline the face. I put the splice in between the 'eyebrow' position. Once satisfied, cut off the excess paper.
Cut a piece of lexan 1" x 24". Use the poster board template to mark the final length and bend positions on the lexan. Keep the cut off piece for later.
I used a bench vise to make the 4 bends. This will take some adjustment and massaging, take it back to the translite to get it to the shape/angle you want.
Once satisified with the bends and shape, scuff both sides of the plastic with coarse sand paper so epoxy and paint will stick to it.
Now use a small piece of the cut off lexan to make a lap splice and epoxy the splice over the eyebrow portion. Scuff both sides of the lap piece before epoxy. Clamp and let dry.
Use the remaining cut off lexan piece to make 2 angle brackets to mount the shield. Bend them at 90 degrees and scuff both sides. Drill a hole in each to use as a mounting point to the light panel. Epoxy them to the sides of the shield, clamp, and let dry.
Once all the epoxy is cured, you can spray paint it opaque. Once its dry, you can set its position on the light board with masking tape on the mounting tabs. Test it out. Once satisfied, mount it with two 3/8" screws.
[quoted image]
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Well done! I didn't know you could do that with lexan. Are you heating it up to bend it?

If anyone else is looking for a baffle, i designed one that can be purchased here:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/3U4QQ3CS3/pinbot-backbox-visor-baffle-stand-alone?optionId=65240178

#3031 5 years ago
Quoted from Its_me_aj:

I have a project pinbot I'm working on and I'm missing the rods the connect the switches in the corkscrew ramp and also missing an apron. anyone have any of these laying around?

Did you see this post?

#3032 5 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Yes, removing the ground wire is electrically the same as removing the resistor. If you ever want to revert back to original lamps, you can reconnect the wire instead of trying to find where you stored all the warming resistors.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Can someone please take a picture of this modification in their machine?

#3036 5 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

Basically unsolder these connections on every lamp board. I think there are 4.
[quoted image]

Right. I understand the concept, just wasn't sure what to do with the loose wires. Do i wire nut them together, solder the wires together, or what? Just want to see what the finished modification looks like.

#3039 5 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Just put a wire on the wire

I am not sure what this means. Is this a typo?

#3096 5 years ago
Quoted from JFink8222:

Found this plastic chunk in the back of the cabinet. Ideas which game?
[quoted image]

1976 Gottlieb Super Soccer
https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=2443

#3119 5 years ago
Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

topkat they are either 89s or 1251s check the manual. I used 1251 leds from coin taker and love them. pinball_gizzard yes, two pins and two screws hold the visor.

They are 1251s behind the eyes.

#3123 5 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

Quick question. I recently acquired a pretty dirty/neglected Pinbot and am in the process of trying to get it to playable condition.
I was cleaning around the vortex today and found that the space shuttle clear plastic is broken where it connects to the bottom metal support. Can I just epoxy this back together and move on or should I hunt for another?
Also, is removing the visor a matter of removing those retainer pins and lifting it off? I need to get to the face plastic to replace it and clean back there.

Here's a great step by step:

http://www.enteryourinitials.com/2014/10/17/pinbot-restoration-visor/#more-1320

#3151 5 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

Question on the shooter rod assembly. I bought parts to replace the entire rod, spring, etc. Went in to replace it and found that the plastic rod bearing I bought won't fit into the housing. Looks like there is a metal tube in there the same diameter? Is this normal or did someone stick a metal tube in there as a bearing long ago??
[quoted image]

Mine did not have a metal bearing, it was plastic.

3 weeks later
#3284 5 years ago
Quoted from RichWolfson:

Yes. I just sent him payment for 2. Thanks for the reminder.
///Rich

Thanks ChrisPINk25 and @richwolfson. I gotcha covered, Rich! Will send them out after presidents day.

2 weeks later
#3386 5 years ago
Quoted from mof:

what's that?

10th plunge on the same ball is worth 10x the point hole value and is introduced with speech announcing "million point activated". If you nail the 100,000 hole on the plunge you get 1,000,000 points.

1 month later
#3581 4 years ago
Quoted from Chnillapoil:

I can do that. See you in AT

I don't remember giving anyone permission to print my mask baffle other than shapeways. I don't think pinball life would be too keen on people printing their mouth baffle either.

#3586 4 years ago
Quoted from Plumonium:

People can craft their own mods as they want. What's the harm here?

Yes people are free to create their own mods. But you aren't crafting your own mod, you are asking someone to copy mine and distribute plagarized plans of said mod. I also have plans for the mouth and other pinbot parts that i do not sell or distribute as they are the intellectual property of pinball life or others.

Below I offer the mask baffle for a modest price where I only make about $5 per item. The rest of the price is Shapeway's costs. If you cannot afford this, send me a PM and we can work something out.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fargo, ND
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Lighting - Backbox
Twisted Tokens

4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Kingston, OK
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
2,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chaskett.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbot-fans-and-owners-club?tu=chaskett and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.