20240112_135811 (resized).jpg
IMG_5901 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5902 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7922 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7923 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7921 (resized).jpeg
541EBD6A-2CA4-43E0-AB4B-B18C7FF31AF0 (resized).jpeg
Pinside_forum_7003307_0 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider badbrad97.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#47 10 years ago

This was my first restore. $200 non-working Pinbot. It was rough.

Way too much work to list. Clear coated playfield, fully restored cabinet.

It will never leave my house.

Pinbot before 1.jpgPinbot before 1.jpgP1010112.jpgP1010112.jpgP1010222.jpgP1010222.jpgP1010244.jpgP1010244.jpg538226_10150948990552480_137097401_n.jpg538226_10150948990552480_137097401_n.jpg314262_10150969222852480_613158919_n.jpg314262_10150969222852480_613158919_n.jpg224889_10150969223072480_518663225_n.jpg224889_10150969223072480_518663225_n.jpg

1 week later
#53 10 years ago
Quoted from alb0711:

Wondering if anybody has ever upgraded Pinbot's speakers and if it made a real difference?

Yes, and it makes very little difference. You would be better off hooking it to a Polk sub for $69. That will make a huge difference. Also, replacing the speaker in the backbox with a cheap co-ax speaker and adding a volume control so you can turn the backbox speakers down and allow the cabinet speaker to be louder helps.

Check out this thread
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cabinet-speaker-size-and-wiring-williams-system-11

#54 10 years ago

Quoted from skywalker:have searched some threads on removing mylar on pinbots, couple of guys have removed old mylar & then polished/wax PF, no CC'ing or replacing mylar, i know the pin will have limited use if i go with not replacing the mylar, seems to be the quickest/cheapest solution, short term ok long term who knows

I removed the mylar on 2 Pinbots. In my cases it came off pretty easily. In both cases though, the planking was really bad and but noticeable with the mylar on. Had I not been clear coating after, they would have been rough.

#64 10 years ago

It sounds like the roll over switch is too tall or it is bent too steep. If the front of the roll over is too flat, and the ball is moving fast it won't be able to push it down fast enough. That switch is hard to adjust so be careful if you start messing with it. The leaf switch underneath is impossible to adjust without taking the ramp out.

#72 10 years ago

If you can replicate it with rolling the ball with your hand then it probably isn't that the flippers are too strong (although they may be) I am betting money that the switch doesn't have a slope at the front of it and when the ball hits it the ball just can't push it down and bounces over it.

If the switch is sitting too high there is a flat spot before the slope that will be hit.

If you roll the ball slowly you will feel if it is hitting some kind of resistance before it pushes the switch down. (and remember the ball is going to be rolling against the back of the lane)

pinbot2.jpgpinbot2.jpg

1 month later
#78 10 years ago
Quoted from skywalker:

First shake down test
remove old mylar, clean it up, touch up all the damaged paint, 4 coats of clear, banged her back together, has a few issues going through them one at a time
» YouTube video

Nice!

1 month later
#80 10 years ago

Bump for Pinbot fans.

1 week later
#84 10 years ago
Quoted from RyThom:

I'm now out of the owners club, but am very happy to bring rottenrobert in! I'll always be a lifelong fan of Pin*bot - "The Ultimate Machine"!

Since you are no longer in the club, you can no longer post here. Sorry.

1 week later
#91 10 years ago
Quoted from rottenrobert1313:

I did break a post up by the visor and I had an awesome game going too. But that is pinball... you never know what's going to happen.

If you broke a post it was probably the one to the left of the visor. If you do the "washer under the post" mod, it won't break or get loose anymore. You can really tighten it down against the washer instead of it digging into the wood.

posts.jpgposts.jpg

#92 10 years ago

I finally did something to my Pinbot that I have wanted to do for several years. I got the trim around the speaker panel chrome plated along with the metal trim at the bottom of the backglass. That trim has never looked that good. It was a little rusty at one point before I restored it and polishing it and clear coating just didn't cut it. I have been getting Mike Chestnut to do some plating on parts on other machines and decided to do those 3 pieces too. I think it turned out awesome. I don't think I have ever seen it done before. I am sure I am not the first.
IMG_20140319_181838_599.jpgIMG_20140319_181838_599.jpg
IMG_20140319_182037_037.jpgIMG_20140319_182037_037.jpg

#96 10 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

This was such a great idea. I cheated and used some of my leftover 3M 1/2" self adhesive automotive trim to do mine. Almost looks as good I think.
100_4084.JPG 234 KB

That does look really good. I wish I would have seen that before. I might had went that route and saved some money. Definitely looks way better than the original trim.

#103 10 years ago
Quoted from Choggard:

Pinbot is the game that started this whole pinball addiction I have... I love Pinbot!

+1 on game that started it all.

1 week later
#133 10 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Just a warning for anyone using these gels:
Unfortunately, I bought those exact ones on the link and tried them out this evening and they did not accomplish what I was looking for. The red looked ok, with just a small loss of intensity...but the blue was NOT good at all. The blue almost blocks out the displays entirely. I mean bad and unreadable. Oh well, at least it was an inexpensive experiment.

It's a science thing. The problem is that the gels "block" out the colors from bulb that do not exist in the gel. So a red gel blocks out everything from the orange display except red. The blue gels block out everything from the orange light except blue (and blue doesn't really exist in orange).

1 month later
#154 9 years ago

Sure. You can shine that mylar with one of the kits or you can use the Meguire's polishing balls and some 3M Perfect-It polishing compound. That stuff is amazing. I also hear that those headlight restore kits work pretty well also.

2 weeks later
#159 9 years ago
Quoted from CharlestonSCPins:

I posted this in All but thought I should post here as well for the experts.
Finally finished my PinBot and everything works perfectly except for the vortex ramp. I bought a reproduction one and installed it since the existing one had several cracks and repairs. Problem is that the ball never even makes it to the 5K drop through hole. I noticed that the piece of spring metal at the bottom of the ramp was sitting up about 1/8" off the play field. I used a dremel tool to shave the plastic down and then used a dab of RTV to hold the spring steel ramp down so it is completely flush with the play field. I put a new high power (blue) spring from Marco in the ball shooter. If I pull the ball shooter back about half way there is just not enough power to get up the ramp. Pulling the ball shooter back further puts more power behind the ball but then the ball seems to jump around when it hits the rivets holding down that spring steel and he ball again never reaches far enough up to even get to the 5K drop through hole.
Thinking about trying to shave down those rivets but don't know if that is wise. I don't want to have to redo them if I go too far and PinBot obviously worked with the rivets before.
Any ideas or suggestions would be most welcome. This is a great game but it bugs the hell out of me if everything doesn't work.
Thanks!
Al

That really sounds like it is an alignment problem. My Pinbots are notorious for not going up the ramp if the plunger hits the ball in anything but EXACTLY straight on. Look at where the plunger lines up on the ball when the ball is at rest in the trough. If it is hitting the ball low, it would put back spin on it and it won't make it up the ramp.

Try this. Take off the glass. Put the ball in the trough and try lifting or shifting the playfield side to side to line it up exactly center (or a little higher than center on mine) and see if it does any better.

If that is your problem, then you have to work on getting the plunger to hit the ball straight.

#165 9 years ago
Quoted from CharlestonSCPins:

I will eventually get around to routing the opening for the shooter some so I can correct the height adjustment.
Al

Just use a small round file. You will be surprised at how little you have to take off to get it to drop where you need it. You really only need the lowest screw to go down a little.

1 week later
#172 9 years ago

1K sounds like a good deal. I sold one of mine a year ago in what sounds like the same condition except mine had a restored clearcoated playfield for $1200.

1 week later
#176 9 years ago

Here's the only one I have at work. I will try to find more.
314262_10150969222852480_613158919_n.jpg314262_10150969222852480_613158919_n.jpg

#177 9 years ago
Quoted from Mick-Gyver:

Hi, has anyone got or could take photos of their cabinet earth braid. Finally giving mine a tidy up and putting braid through it. ( ex owner ripped it all out). Tried google images for sys11 cab, but didn't help much. Any help would be great.
Thanks
Mick

Just remembered that there are some on PhotoBucket.

http://s1218.photobucket.com/user/badbrad97/library/Pinbot

#179 9 years ago
Quoted from Mick-Gyver:

BadBrad97. Thanks heaps for the link, there's pics in there that are just what I'm after. Nice work too.

Thanks. Just happy to help.

3 weeks later
#182 9 years ago
Quoted from travisbmartin:

After 2 months of struggling to find enough time to work on it, I finally got the lower cabinet stripped and repainted. It was my first overhaul, and it came out ok I guess. I still have to do the backbox.

That looks great. You got the hard part out of the way. After doing the lower cab, the backbox is going to be a breeze.

6 months later
#373 9 years ago
Quoted from zippydapinhead:

Hard to find them in the right colors. Someone posted this somewhere back in this thread...

If you find somewhere better post the link here please!

Pinball Resource has a few in stock. If they don't have the color you need in Pinbot style, I have had success drilling out the rivets at the bottom of the target and redrilling the holes on the blade so the target is the right height. I have had really bad success trying to replace just the plastic target face. The big rivet in the middle never seems to stay in. After a few hits the target face falls off.

http://www.pbresource.com/pfswitch.htm

#387 9 years ago
Quoted from jmountjoy111:

I am in the same boat. I guess I'm gonna have to pony up the cash though. Lol.
I'll do one better. I have a break right in the center of the clear plastic that covers the spiral ramp. I cannot find that one anywhere. It's not in the repro set

The clear plastic that covers the spiral ramp is easy to remake with some clear lexan and some water slide decals. As long as you have the metal brackets.

3 weeks later
#426 9 years ago
Quoted from nerdygrrl:

Well, after a couple of months I have finally shopped out and reassembled the Pin*Bot I picked up back in December. It wasn't playable when I got it so yesterday was the first time I actually could put a few games in. I still have a few kinks to work out, but am stoked to have this in the herd.
I am having a really difficult time getting the distance between the motor assembly and targets zeroed in. There seems to be too much of a gap and the plastic busing keeps falling out. It also seems like my assembly hangs a little low so the ball is hitting the top of the assembly and not the targets. I really hate the design/execution of this. Anybody have any great tips or tricks on how to get this dialed in? I though about maybe putting some tape on the hinge so the assembly can't slide down past a certain point.

IMG_6258.JPG 168 KB

It should have some adjustment screws and a nut to keep it in the correct place. The problem I had on mine was that it was bottomed out and still couldn't adjust. If i remember correctly, on mine I put a washer on each screw between the playfield and the drop target unit itself to give me some more room to adjust. Another problem I had was that the top of the drop targets didn't sit flat when they were down. The washers helped with this too.

2 weeks later
#456 9 years ago
Quoted from zippydapinhead:

I think zippo lighter fluid is pretty much just naptha if you can find that.

Yes. Zippo lighter fluid or Naptha and a plastic razor blade is the way to go.

AND not a real metal razor blade or lighter fluid (for charcoal)

3 weeks later
#480 9 years ago
Quoted from Daniml:

Excuse me if this has already been addressed but I quickly scanned through the forum and didn't see anything specific to this issue. I've seen posts regarding LED's and flashers but nothing about GI's going out, 'cept for jmountjoy111. Just the other day I started to replace some GI's with LED's and half way through the left side of the GI's went out. Instead of trying to find out the cause I simply moved to the right side since all the plastics had already been removed. Half way through the right side the same thing happened. At that time I proceeded to check the fuse (removed) then checked the connection. All was well. Any idea what I may have blown?

Is there another fuse under the playfield someplace?

#481 9 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

When I was tearing down the Pinbot, I found the bracket pictured below when I removed the blue ramp. The bracket has two double-stick tape pads on the end. I tried to find dirty adhesive marks to figure out where it's supposed to go, but I can't figure it out. Anyone know where it goes, and what purpose does it serve?

I just went through my teardown pictures and I don't see that anywhere. unless it is under the visor \ helmet, which I don't recall seeing it either and I have restored 2 Pinbots.

#511 9 years ago
Quoted from chipleader:

Mine would stick in that same spot when the ball didn't quite make it to the 100,000 point hole, and would roll back down the ramp slowly.
Finally got tired of it last week, and decided to try a hair dryer on it.
Didn't even take 30 seconds to heat it up and make it pliable, I wrapped some masking tape around a pinball and put it in the ramp to hold it in place while the ramp cooled down.
It is working great now.

That is better than what I did. I used a dremel and took off some plastic under the sticker and then put a new sticker over it. It worked great but I think the hair dryer method is better.

1 week later
#579 9 years ago

I would put a meter on those switches and make sure they are working properly before I started hooking wires to it. I have found if everything is cut off, it usually means that something was wrong.

#595 8 years ago
Quoted from spiroagnew:

Just noticed that I have two green targets in the lowering drop target bank. One needs to be blue. Any ideas where I can find one...other than Australia? They look like pretty hard targets to source. If anyone has an extra, let me know.
Rob

You need a wll-a11315-17. Those are hard to come by. Try PBresource.com. They had them at one time. They are showing out of stock, but they might have them.

2 months later
#634 8 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

Hey guys - got my Pinbot! Question on mylar bubbling...
There's some bubbling mylar over the grid inserts and under the mini playfield near the shooter lane path. Is it worth even worrying about? Also has minor wear near the top pop where the mylar doesn't hit, in the eyes where you lock the balls, and on the playfield near the light extra ball hole. Should I just touch it up with paint and pop some mylar over it? Or will that continue to wear pretty bad?
I'll post some pics later tonight to show you guys. Hopefully someone can give me some direction on what to do/what's worth doing.

Wax it and play the fool out of it. You will be fine. That is what 30 years of wear looks like. In a home environment, it is not going to get any worse. Check for loose posts and stuff, that is where the wear and tear comes from.

#652 8 years ago
Quoted from h_flex:

No, I picked it up from a pinsider in Cincinnati. The score displays are kind of wonky, they don't seem to light all the segments consistantly. I'm problably going to replace them with an LED display from X-Pin in the near future.

Try swapping out the cables. Intermittent displays is sometimes the cables... Try plugging the cables into a different display and see if the issue follows the cable too

5 years later
#4343 3 years ago
Quoted from Dankind:

Hi there, folks
New to the Pinbot club and I have two questions for the group. My machine is in pretty tip top shape, but that plastic to the right of the solar ramp is cracked (as seems to be very common with that plastic). Anyone have any repair solutions that will hold up to abuse over time? It's such a short strip of plastic that's broken right by the arm that lifts the ramp... I'm not sure what the best solution may be.
Also, anyone have tips for removal of the bumper play field where the ball exits from the solar value ramp? I see some posts with screws, but others look like they're held on by posts or something.
Thanks in advance~!

The only real way to protect that plastic is with something like the pinbit protectors. That is a hard piece to replace or repair because it goes all the way up in there and everything needs to come off to replace it.
https://pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13_44&products_id=248

That upper playfield is not too hard to get off. There is that one post on the upper right side that needs to come off, but the rest are screws.

1 week later
#4357 3 years ago
Quoted from alexmogil:

I need to replace my volume potentiometer since it is scratchy - what is the acceptable replacement? I've ordered a 10k from Radio Shack before for a system 6. Same one?

Have you tried Potentiometer cleaner? That usually works unless it is too far gone.

#4359 3 years ago
Quoted from alexmogil:

Deep breath:
Here we go.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Good luck. Mine looked way worse than that when I started.

P1010103 (1) (resized).JPGP1010103 (1) (resized).JPGP1010111 (resized).JPGP1010111 (resized).JPGP1010223 (resized).JPGP1010223 (resized).JPGP1010211 (resized).JPGP1010211 (resized).JPGP1010249 (resized).JPGP1010249 (resized).JPG
2 months later
#4475 3 years ago
Quoted from imadork8:

Got it all fixed! The switch underneath was just bent out a little too far and not making contact. Just slighly bent it back closer and all is good!
Thanks again.
One final question, I'm kind of afraid to ask... Has anyone experience the game just stoppping and restarting mid-play? This has happened a handful of times to me, during a long round. Can't pinpoint excatly when all of them would happen, but this last time it restarted after getting the helmet/visor open for a seond time in one round and getting the ball into one side. Game goes black, and spits the ball out and is back at the start up phase.

That has usually been a power supply issue in my cases. Check the voltages and see how close they are from being too weak. When everything is going wide open and the machine has been on for a while, the old capacitors are just too weak to keep up. A rebuild of the power supply is pretty easy and not too expensive.

1 year later
#5179 2 years ago

My Pinbot has been rock solid for maybe 10 years now without a single issue. Last weekend, it started acting up. On power up, the GI came on, visor just cycled up and down and the scores were out. Starting checking fuses, nothing blown, but I noticed when I touched one of the fuses, it kind of rattled in the holder. So I bent the prongs a little to hold the fuse tighter. All fixed. I think that could have been pretty hard to trouble shoot if it were happening intermittently.

3 weeks later
#5231 2 years ago

I would love to find the rubber gaskets that blocks the light around the displays. I have the soft foam ones on mine and they are too fat. I need the thin rubber ones. I guess I can cut something if I have to. I am finally going to break down and buy the mirrored backglass, and this is bugging me.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

2,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
Lighting - Backbox
Twisted Tokens

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fargo, ND
$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Kingston, OK
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider badbrad97.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbot-fans-and-owners-club?tu=badbrad97 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.