20240112_135811 (resized).jpg
IMG_5901 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5902 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7922 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7923 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7921 (resized).jpeg
541EBD6A-2CA4-43E0-AB4B-B18C7FF31AF0 (resized).jpeg
Pinside_forum_7003307_0 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MoSeS_1592.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1723 6 years ago

I have three questions regarding the rules in PinBot...

1) How, exactly, do you enable the elusive "million activated"? When I'm having a really good game after several balls it seems to happen almost randomly. Is there a logic to how to activate it?

2) When I make it to the sun, light SPECIAL and fail to get it before the ball drains, almost always I don't get the option to hit it again. Once the ball drains SPECIAL is no longer lit since it wont carry over to the next ball.... usually. I noticed once in a while it will stay it throughout the next ball for another chance to hit it. Why is this????? I noticed sometimes the SPECIAL is flashing, other times its solid.

3) This is probably a dumb question but how do you build the solar value? I know the under-ramp target feeds the points into the solar value (ready-ing it for collection via jackpot) but what exactly builds up the queue of points pending to be inserted in the solar value upon hitting the under-ramp solar value target?

1 week later
#1757 6 years ago

For anyone interested I made a few mods to my PinBot, one of them adding another ramp/habitrail to the upper playfield. Some may think what I did to my machine is blasphemous, however it is all reversible and has switches to disable the mods. The idea for my first mod was to make the game easier for kids and friends who are novice pinballers. My PinBot didn't get too much play compared to my other machines because of how easy balls drain down the dreaded side drains.

If you're bored take a look at my thread in the mods section of the forum at:

newer mods:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbot-mod-part-2

and the orignal mods:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbot-mods

Video clips of the mods are included in the threads.

1 year later
#2931 5 years ago
Quoted from Rat:

Has anyone here tweaked the code for Pin-bot in the Pinduino? I'm sure I will learn how to do it all in time just getting excited

Yes. I have it in my pinbot and it looks awesome. The stock code doesn't work well because literally every event on the table triggers the same chase pattern and it literally just goes on constantly during game play and doesn't seem interactive at all. I tweaked the code a lot so that less playfield events trigger lighting functions and also trigger different ones. I also tweaked the stock functions a bit to make them slower and less 'in your face'. It makes a HUGE difference. I'd be happy to share it with you.

If you watch the serial monitor on the arduino during gameplay you notice that it's not consistent. The pinduino works perfect and by no means is the original code flawed. I think the issueis noise on the input pins that the pinduino Inputs read as false HIGH's. I went through one by one and weeded out the playfield events that give consistent values in the serial monitor (there are I think four). If only these functions in the code are used to trigger lighting events then it works almost flawlessly.

2 months later
#3274 5 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

That’s what I thought. And the tournament roms make it only one light the first time.

Aside from that, I imagine tournament roms don't carry over unearned jackpot (solar value) to the next game for opponents to collect? I'm curious what other differences there are (if any) with tournament roms?

1 month later
#3467 5 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Waxing the PF and using new balls is the single most important thing you can do for your machine.

Just curious what type of wax do you use?

#3477 5 years ago

Thanks for the advice, gonna try the paste. Haven't waxed my pins in a looooong time.

1 year later
#4489 3 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

Have located the original tool - now looking at what is required to run it ... right.
It's a little tricky to get the color the same as original ... we will see what can be done.

Keep me posted about the topper if you successfully fabricate a reproduction. I'm looking for one.

1 week later
#4511 3 years ago

Looking for a visor/helmet for my machine. If anyone has one from a parted out machine let me know, I might be interested.

Thanks!

#4512 3 years ago

Looking for a visor/helmet for my machine. If anyone has one from a parted out machine let me know, I might be interested. I've never seen reproductions of the actual visor that lifts.

Also looking for the little clear plastic with the rocket ship decal that goes over the bottom of the vortex ramp.

Thanks!

#4514 3 years ago

Thanks for the link!

1 week later
#4528 3 years ago

I recently purchased a new Visor for my PinBot. Plastic part only. The old visor plastic is attached to the metal hinge piece via rivets. I don't have the equipment for placing these types of rivets and was instead going to simply use small nuts/washer/bolts with blue loctite. Does anyone happen to know what size holes these are? I need to purchase a drill bit set for drilling out the old rivets on the original metal hinge piece and purchase the hardware listed above.

Any advice on this? Suggestions on type (cobalt/titanium) of drill bit for drilling out the metal rivets and attaching new visor? Any way to remove old rivets without drilling? Any unforeseen problems I will run into?

Thanks!

#4530 3 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

The importance of rivets in many locations on pinball machines is where the ball will travel over them.....rivets impede ball movement much less than a screw head. While not original, screws and nuts will work fine on the visor. The diameter of the rivet is 1/8". I remove a lot of rivets. There are two methods I use.... Drilling (from the bottom) with a 1/8" drill bit until the rolled over portion of the rivet comes off, or my preference for removing them is to use a Dremel cut-off disk and grind the rolled over portion of the rivet until flush with the metal plate. Note that either drilling or grind creates a lot of heat which can melt plastic...so it you were removing rivets from a plastic piece you want to save, take your time to avoid heat build up.
Semi-tubular rivets not only "roll over" on the bottom, but the rivet shaft can also expand a little making them very tight in the metal bracket. With something like a visor, you can take a piece of wood and drill a 1/4" hole it in and then after grinding or drilling the bottom of the rivet, center the rivet head over the 1/4" hole in the wood and use a punch to tap the rivet out.

Thank you!

#4532 3 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

Be very careful about drilling rivets out of plastic, if they spin they will heat up and melt the surrounding plastic. Not a big deal if you're going to toss the plastic part they were in anyway, but let's say you were riveting into a new visor, didn't clamp down the rivet right, and wanted to try again. Drilling it out could potentially ruin the plastic. I've found a safer method is a Dremel tool with a grinding bit, and then carefully grind off the end that has the washer or metal under it.

Thanks for the heads up. I ended up drilling the rivets out of the old visor that was cracked in pieces and beyond repair. I used a thin carbide drill bit and got the rivets out in a about 2 minutes. After about 2mm of the bottom of the rivet was drilled out the "rolled" portion popped right off. Much easier than I expected and no damage to the original plastic (even though its trash anyways haha).

1 week later
#4555 3 years ago

I notice when my visor opens about 1/2 of the way, it seems to stick and then 'pop' up suddenly the rest of the way, almost like there is some resistance somewhere. When the visor closes it is very smooth and not jumpy at all. Is this a common issue? any easy fixes?

2 weeks later
#4583 3 years ago

Same here! Let me know as well if you make a topper or know of any repos for sale.

3 months later
#4739 2 years ago

During attract mode on my pinbot only the right eye visor lamp flashes. The left one does not. During gameplay they both work fine. Is this how the attract mode is supposed to be or is there something wrong with my machine? Is there a bulb back there that I am missing that only goes on during attract mode and not during gameplay for the left eye?

20210529_233254 (resized).jpg20210529_233254 (resized).jpg
#4744 2 years ago
Quoted from Billc479:

Check your resistor for the flasher - it may have broken off of the circuit board.

I will check. Are these two flashers used during gameplay or only in attract mode when the visor opens? The flashers behind the saucers, not underneath. It's funny I never really paid attention to it during a game.

1 month later
#4834 2 years ago

I'm having a minor but irritating problem with my PinBot. There are 4 flasher bulbs under the visor (two behind the visor and two under the kickout holes). During game play all 4 flashers operate normally and flash as they should when the visor is open. During attract mode however, when the visor opens only the two RIGHT side flashers flash. The two left side remain dark.

Can anyone please confirm if this is normal or if there is something wrong with my pin. Just watch the attract mode cycle and see if the left side visor flashers operate during attract mode.

If they do (which I assume they should), does anyone here know why the flashers would operate correctly during game play but fail during attract mode? I've referenced the manual but can't find anything pertaining to this.

Thanks!

#4836 2 years ago
Quoted from FLASHBALL:

Here is what happens when mine goes into attract mode and shows the rules for the visor. Otherwise mine shows no visor flashes whatsoever.
Did this help?

*Edit* that blue grid light was not out until I shot this video. How's that for odd coincidences?

Thank you! That is exactly what I wanted to know. On my machine during that exact same attract mode sequence the two LEFT bulbs under the visor do not light at all (and don't do the left-right-left-right etc. strobing), but during game play they work just fine. I have no idea why.

2 months later
#4989 2 years ago

This is more of a system 11 question in general, but in my fully functioning pinbot, very rarely I have an issue where, after a session of several long games where the machine has been played hard and on for well over an hour, the drop target reset solenoid suddenly loses almost all of its power and can't push the targets up all the way, and the machine keeps pulsing the solenoid every 2 seconds trying to reset the bank without success. I've actually had this happen on my Taxi as well with the Lola target bank. Doesn't happen often, maybe once every 75-100 games on both machines. Any ideas?

3 weeks later
#5030 2 years ago

Have the topper domes ever been reproduced or any for sale? Been looking for a long time with no luck.

3 months later
#5205 2 years ago

Question,

On the warming resistor board for the topper flasher bulbs there are 2 sets of ceramic resistors, short and long. What are the ohms on each? My pin bot is missing topper and the resistors have been cut from the board. I'm in the process of getting a new topper dome and getting the lighting for it to work properly. Only took 11 years better late than never.

#5207 2 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

5 ohm 10 watt (bigger)
330 ohm 7 watt (shorter)[quoted image]

Thanks!

#5208 2 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

5 ohm 10 watt (bigger)
330 ohm 7 watt (shorter)[quoted image]

Regarding the warming resistors, the incandescent flashers should technically still work without them but will just flash much more dim since the filaments are cold, correct?

I have all but one of the 5 ohm resistors on hand but have an excess of the 330 ohm. Would putting a 330 in place of one of the 5 ohms have any serious consequences or simply not heat one of the bulbs all the way?

On that note, if I just use LED can I just omit the resistors altogether? I should be able to use LED for topper and keep incandescent flashers on PF, right?

#5213 2 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

The leds bulbs are more forgiving then incandescent bulbs so you can use the 330 ohm resistors as a dropping resistor, just parallel 4 of them together.

If using leds,

To be clear, you mean in place of the four 5-ohm dropping resistors I would need to parallel four 330's for 82.5 ohms each, requiring sixteen 330-ohm resistors (and leaving the warming resistors off entirely) ?

Or do you mean simply substitute the 330's in place of the 5-ohm and leave the warming resistors off entirely?

Sorry for the confusion.

#5216 2 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

I thought you were short one resistor, not all four resistors. In a temporary situation paralleling 4 resistors will work fine, led flasher will be at @80% output, hardly noticeable. Adding 16 resistors to this board as a permanent repair will look like a hack of all hacks, just order new resistors.

Understood, thank you for clarifying!

#5217 2 years ago

Anyone know if a wiring diagram is available that shows the wire colors and setup for the topper? I found a few photos but the resolution isn't the best. Looks like a few wires are daisychained but can't see for sure. The output Molex connector on my machine is present but the harness and bulb sockets are gone, have to make myself.

#5220 2 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

Hopefully these will help.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Perfect. Thank you!

#5221 2 years ago

Not that important but I'm guessing that on the topper resistor board, of the "ground", "driver", and "lamp" labeled wires printed on the board, the "driver" is the supply to the warming resistors and "lamp" controls the on/off?

#5223 2 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

The power (red wire constant 24 volt power, orange wire from A/C relay 24 volt power) goes the the flasher bulbs first. Thru the bulb to the flasher resistor board (Lamp terminal) and then tees on the board to go to both resistors (330 and 5 ohm). The other end of the 330 ohm (warming) resistor is the Ground terminal which has a black wire(s) connected to ground. The other end of the 5 ohm resistor connects to the Driver terminal which has the white/xxx striped wire. This white/xxx wire connects to the CPU driver transistors which turn on the flasher bulbs when needed.

Thanks for the clarification.

#5224 2 years ago

New topper wiring and sockets installation with LED's worked perfectly. Thank you for the help, very appreciated!

2 weeks later
#5260 2 years ago
Quoted from Duramadmax:

I do realize some is there as my Earthshaker has a slight hum but this is VERY pronunced.
I did remove the sound board of the back plane and let if hang free. no change...

I had the same problem on my Pinbot for years and just accepted it. Turns out after I sprayed some contact cleaner on the sound board volume pot and moved it around a bit the hum literally vanished and my machine is dead silent now.

3 months later
#5345 1 year ago
Quoted from camerato4:

Wondering if someone can help me my pinbot in attraction mode only the right side three flashers under the visor flash they do not oscillate or the left ones do not come on at all but during gameplay they work as they should and they oscillate between the left and right perfectly fine very strange problem I have tried replacing Q 71

Are you using PEMBOT rom?

3 months later
#5469 1 year ago
Quoted from Cariba:

Hello all,
Recently purchased PINBOT. I am somewhat new to this hobby but not shy from doing work and electronics etc.
I've been going over this threads many pages...
I have some questions:
1) Firstly the back box has 1 speaker and 1 tweeter right? (this is how they come stock right?) Any suggested speaker upgrades? (sound seems great as is, but wanted to know what others suggest) What about the cabinet speaker, should that be upgraded? I've read that speaker upgrades in general doen make that much difference (but maybe that was an old post)?
2) I currently have LEDs under plastics only and back box (bought like this). I want to switch to good LEDs under the playfield to make this pin really pop. Should I just be using regular comet LEDs? Can this be done without any further modifications (e.g adding further circuit upgrades to be able to use LEDs) etc?
3) I was thinking of also switching to LED flashers, I am aware that there needs to be a modification to the resistors to remove the warm up voltage. But, is switching to LED flashers recommended/worth it?
4) I am looking to do some lighting modification/upgrades. Particular the interactive Pinduino lighting ramp and adding interactive under cabinet/behind back box LEDs. Any recommendations for this (or against this)? I have no problem doing the electrical hook up etc myself if needed (and if its the cheaper option vrs a plug in kit etc).
5) Any other modifications or upgrades suggested? I seen there is a different ROM with different rules, any details on this? what about the Pinbot light mask?
6) My drop target solenoid system seems to be struggling to reset/raise targets - Any common reasons for this?
Thanks in advance fellow Insiders.

To answer a few of your questions:

You don't need to make any modifications to use LED's instead of traditional incandescent bulbs (except cutting warming transistors for flasher bulbs).

I kept my playfield flashers incandescent only because I didn't have any LED flashers that would fit through the playfield holes up behind the visor, although I'm sure they make them. LED flashers definitely 'pop' since they are brighter and turn on instantly but there is something to be said for the incandescent in my opinion. I do like how they fade in and out just slow enough for the eye to catch. Just a matter of opinion. I rebuilt my topper circuit and converted to LED flashers and removed the warming resistors. I used super brite pink flashers under the topper and man does it light the room up when the topper goes off.

In regards to the ROM, I have the PEMBOT rom installed and its just... amazing. Deeper rule set, 'engery drain' penalties, multiple scoring modes, jackpot caps and resets, and most of all a ball saver. I know some people don't like mods and I totally respect that but I personally love the PEMBOT code.

Regarding additional lighting I installed Pinduino in mine and I love it but the code needed some tweaking in my opinion. The lighting is interactive and the code is ingenious, however there are so many triggers that the additional Pinduino lighting just fires off constantly to the point of being annoying. I modified the code in mine to dial it back. For example, I changed the code a bit so the RGB lighting sequences only trigger when a ramp shot is made, the pop bumpers are triggered, the eject hole is obtained or the drop target bank is completed. And when it does trigger the light show only lasts for a few seconds or a half-second depending. Also changed the code so during attract mode it only triggers randomly every 3-5 minutes and for only around 20 seconds at a time. Again, just personal preference here. But I do highly recommend the mod. The Pindiuno board allows for a second RGB strip as well. I used the second one running along the topper for additional interactive lighting. The code is very easy to modify to interact with a second RGB strip.

I had the same issue with the drop target bank solenoid intermittently not having enough kick to push the targets back up. The issue for me was faulty connections on the wire harness. Reflowed solder, tightened contacts and used contact cleaner and haven't had he problem since. But the problem could be a failing solenoid or driver transistor as well.

Lastly, I built a custom made ramp that connects the upper playfield to the left flipper return lane, added a rollover switch to the habitrail lane that triggers the ADV PLANET target, and added an additional arduino that closes the side drains for 30 seconds when the ramp is completed (and advances planet after 3+ ramps are made within 30 seconds) while displaying a countdown time on an illuminated LCD. All of these homebrew mods can be disabled with a switch under the cab. Here are links to the mods if you're interested (these are old):

Original mod:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbot-mods

Second mod:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbot-mod-part-2

Needless to say the game has a lot of room for mods if that's what you're in to. The drain blocking mod definetely makes the game too easy for experienced players hence I added a disable switch. PinBot is a drain monster and this mod makes the game much more entertaining (and less frustrating) for friends and family.

Hope this helps!

#5494 1 year ago
Quoted from Cariba:

Can anyone kindly direct me to a purchase/info link of what hardware and software (and chips to buy) I then would need to write/erase ROMs into new chips?
...to upload new PEMBOT rom/code to a new ROM chip and install new ROM chip to my board.
Much appreciated.

Ask Idealjoker about obtaining the rom patch as he wrote it. Stephan at hobbyroms.com has burned several pinball roms for me over the years and all worked perfectly. provide him a rom file via email and he'd burn and mail me the chips.

#5498 1 year ago
Quoted from Cariba:

Thank very much for that info and referrals, even better that they burn the roms and send the chips.

You're welcome!

1 month later
#5607 1 year ago
Quoted from MadMaxDad:

I just picked up a PinBot and it has a ‘feature’ I hadn’t seen before.
There’s a wire ball guide / habitrail that goes from the bagatelle area to the left inlane.
The inlane plastic looks like it’s been trimmed a little. Pics on IPDB show that plastic cut similar to the right inlane to allow a ball to drop - so maybe it was a planned feature?
Does anybody else have this?[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I made one like that for my machine but i used copper romex wire inside a blue nylon housing for the rails.

#5618 1 year ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

The design of that crossover ramp looks very flawed to me. First of all, there is nothing to guide it on the wire form. I think most balls would just fall to the playfield instead of riding the wires. The second problem is dropping off to the in-lane. There is nothing there preventing a fast rolling ball from just rolling across the slingshot plastic to the out-lane.

The homebrew one I made years ago has a ball catcher to prevent that.

Quoted from pinballizfun:

some guy here created it because he was whining that the ball could come off the side of the upper PF (as it was designed to do), and sometime drain if not nudged. So he "fixed" it by adding a ramp to take away the already rare drain scenario. He "fixed" something that was not a problem and made the game easier on himself. Might as well blocked the out lanes while he was at it.

When I came up with the idea for mine (see photo) it had nothing to do with ball draining. I liked the idea of the upper playfield being able to deliver the ball to either flipper lane and thought a cross-playfield habitrail would look cool. Just personal preference that I'm sure many others will despise.

10211d70a5a87ff6d1b6fa536cdb8cd65bf08e33 (resized).jpg10211d70a5a87ff6d1b6fa536cdb8cd65bf08e33 (resized).jpg
4 months later
#5844 10 months ago

Well getting the ball stuck in the visor as it's closing is a first for me.

20230613_175543 (resized).jpg20230613_175543 (resized).jpg
#5846 10 months ago
Quoted from RGarriott:

Those little visor LEDS are pretty cool. Can you go into what ya did there and acouple more pictures?

I'll try to get some pics and a video this weekend. It's an 8 segment rgb led strip that uses an Arduino to control the lighting sequence. Normally it's just the pinbot colors as seen in the photo but occasionally in attract mode the lights will periodically flicker and when the ramp is completed it does a knight rider 'scanning' animation.

1 month later
#5880 9 months ago

If you reach the sun and light special it flashes and if you don't attain it on that ball then the chance doesn't normally carry over to the next ball. However, once in a while the special lamp lights solid at the end of the ball if it's not attained and the chance to achieve the special remains available the rest of the game. Why is this? How do you enable the special to carry over to next ball if not attained?

#5887 9 months ago
Quoted from slochar:

setting 34 is this (planets memory) - but it shouldn't operate randomly for the sun if it's set to carry over the progress.
MoSeS_1592 can you confirm a way to always get/not get it?

I will experiment and report back.

2 months later
#5995 6 months ago
Quoted from jibmums:

Installed an LED/OCD in my Pinbot tonight, and WOW what a difference. All the rich colors of LED's and the smooth on/off transition of incandescent bulbs. Watching the chest, planets, and bonus X lamps in attract mode is so pleasant now, none of that LED harshness. Highly recommended.

You're post intrigued me and I ended up ordering one. What a difference. What seemed like strobing lamp seizures now appears how the programmers intended it to with the excellent dimming and 'twinkling' effects that nearly every pf lamp uses in attract mode. Well worth it. This is the first I've actually seen a true pinbot attract mode since every machine I've ever seen has been led. Only observation is the pf lamps overall seem just a tiny bit dimmer (with default settings) compared to unmodded but that could be my imagination.

#5997 6 months ago
Quoted from jibmums:

Right?!! The "twinkling" of the planets and the "sweeping" in the chest grid are just hypnotizing. I have another LED/OCD on the shelf for WPC games that I'm contemplating dropping into my Jackbot (instead of STTNG) for the same reason.

Good idea. I'm contemplating one for my space shuttle as well.

#6000 6 months ago
Quoted from pinballizfun:

Makes a huge difference in SS. The chest grid works right with OCD

Thanks for confirming it works in SS. I'll be doing the ocd upgrade soon.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Kingston, OK
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Backbox
Twisted Tokens

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

3,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Clovis, CA
3,152 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pulaski, PA
$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MoSeS_1592.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbot-fans-and-owners-club?tu=MoSeS_1592 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.