IMG_5902 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7922 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7923 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7921 (resized).jpeg
541EBD6A-2CA4-43E0-AB4B-B18C7FF31AF0 (resized).jpeg
Pinside_forum_7003307_0 (resized).jpg
IMG_1351 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1103 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MasterBlaster.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4320 3 years ago

Hey All! This machine is driving me batty. I replaced some solenoids and the machine played perfectly for about 4 hours, then the next time I turned it on it goes goofy. When you push the credit button it starts playing the in-game music but the rest of the machine is still in attract mode. No flippers, no ball in or anything. I thought that it was the RAM chip, but I swapped in a rottendog board from my high speed and it does the exact same thing. Power supply is original, so I’ll check voltages tonight. Just very odd. Can incorrect voltage cause the ROM chips to do weird things?

#4323 3 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Have the caps been changed out?

Not since I’ve owned it (about a year now). I’ll check voltages as you and Robotworkshop have suggested and report back. Thanks!

#4326 3 years ago
Quoted from MasterBlaster:

Hey All! This machine is driving me batty. I replaced some solenoids and the machine played perfectly for about 4 hours, then the next time I turned it on it goes goofy. When you push the credit button it starts playing the in-game music but the rest of the machine is still in attract mode. No flippers, no ball in or anything. I thought that it was the RAM chip, but I swapped in a rottendog board from my high speed and it does the exact same thing. Power supply is original, so I’ll check voltages tonight. Just very odd. Can incorrect voltage cause the ROM chips to do weird things?

So, I swapped over the rottendog power supply from my High Speed just to see if that might be the quick fix. Exact same behavior from the machine. So now it’s got a new power supply and a new MPU board...still same problems. ROM chips are still original, if that makes any difference at all...

#4328 3 years ago
Quoted from RichWolfson:

Look closely at the cables? Change them if you can, but if you have replacements to test with....
///Rich

Which cables are you referring to, the ones from the power supply to the MPU?

#4329 3 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Incorrect voltage (low or high) can cause all sorts of things and is typically one of the first things you check. Otherwise you may be hunting for problems that don't exist.

Maybe I should also check/replace all the fuses...I haven’t done that yet.

#4331 3 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

When you turn on the power switch, does the visor open and close? If yes run a switch test on the visor switches.

Yes, visor opens on power up. All switches seem to be registering during edge test. Switch test shows the appropriate switches activated. Have flippers during tests, nada when I push credit button to start game.

#4337 3 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Then you lost your freeplay setting. This can happen if the batteries went dead or were changed. This can also happen if there was a short that pulled the five volts down briefly, like a CPU reset or cracked header pin on the power cable. Drop a quarter in and try to start a game.

THANK YOU GRUMPY! I feel like a ninny, but that was in fact the issue. This machine has always been set on free play so I guess I never knew how it behaved when it is set up for taking coin.
Interesting side note, when I dropped in a quarter nothing happened...so I opened the door and realized that the coin mechs had been stripped out. I’ve opened that door a hundred times and never realized it!

Before I swap the old power supply back in this thing and return the new rottendog supply to my High Speed...I’d like an opinion on whether to put the original power supply in or swap in the original power supply from High Speed. The coating over the traces on the Pinbot supply are toast and the jumper wire seems like a bit of a hack. Several of the solder points are pretty sloppy too. I believe that I can just solder in the old Molex connector for the power, and everything else looks to be the same? Visually anyway, the HS power supply looks to be in much better condition so I just wanted to check and see if there are any red flags with making the change.

Here are photos for comparison, with the Pinbot supply being on the right.

0B63C81D-6347-403C-BCD4-D8C3CCDD9E93 (resized).jpeg0B63C81D-6347-403C-BCD4-D8C3CCDD9E93 (resized).jpeg13CF67D6-E7B4-47AA-BFD3-AB9B3B469F92 (resized).jpeg13CF67D6-E7B4-47AA-BFD3-AB9B3B469F92 (resized).jpeg
#4339 3 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Pics not the best but I can see that the HS supply has newer caps and a bridge rectifier. The Pinbot supply is original but is a system 9 power supply not a system 11. If it was me I would put HS back in HS and rebuild the system 9 supply and modify it to work in a system 11. Save the RD supply for a spare.

Ok sounds good. Thank you for the advice, as always!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Machine - For Sale
Cape Coral, FL

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MasterBlaster.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbot-fans-and-owners-club?tu=MasterBlaster and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.