20240112_135811 (resized).jpg
IMG_5901 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5902 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7922 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7923 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7921 (resized).jpeg
541EBD6A-2CA4-43E0-AB4B-B18C7FF31AF0 (resized).jpeg
Pinside_forum_7003307_0 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DumbAss.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5202 2 years ago
Quoted from MydknyteStyrm:

I pulled the board out and I found some real worrisome things. There’s a discoloration over the area, some green foil is gone, and there is evident damage at Q49. ... It also has the most visible scorch.

Not cleaning the flux makes it hard to make a full assessment but I suspect that scorching at Q49 is from someone using a soldering iron that was probably too hot. I've seen a fair amount of this when someone uses a "Radio Shack" soldering iron to do work on a board.

Quoted from MydknyteStyrm:

I mentioned in previous post that there was a lot of heat coming off of the ceramic from R82 to R89, enough to cause the hotglue holding the alphanumeric top left to come off.

When using the OEM lamp column circuit this is normal. The Darlington 2N6427 is used for orders of magnitude current gain to drive the TIP42 hard. The current driving the base goes through those resistors and is dissipated as heat. LOTS of heat.

The issues with your switch matrix is not related to the lamp columns and almost certainly not related to any dissipated heat from the lamp column circuitry. There has been prior work done in your switch matrix circuit on that board. It's not a nice thing to say but I always suspect prior work. In the majority of the cases I have looked at it ... it is the prior work that is/was the problem.

Quoted from slochar:

I don't know if anyone has come up with the mosfet swap for system 11 to get rid of the hot lamp resistors, but them being hot is normal for the darlingtons that are stock.

The MOSFET modification works in all System 3-11 games. The lamp column circuit is essentially the same. The PIA controls the 2N6427 that controls the TIP42.

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_System_9_-_11#Using_MOSFETs_in_the_Lamp_Matrix_Circuitry

Quoted from slochar:

I haven't done any tests but I've often wondered if the resistors will still get hot with LEDs in the game.

Makes no difference if you use LEDs or incandescents in the controlled lamps. The current dissipated through the 27 Ohm resistors is driving the base of the TIP42 and is not passing through the collector/emitter of the TIP42. That's my understanding of the circuit. I am fairly sure that you already know this.

system11_lamp_columns.jpgsystem11_lamp_columns.jpg

I have LEDs in my System 11 games and for the boards I have not done the MOSFET modification those resistor get hot to the touch within 30 seconds of powering on the machine.

7 months later
#5438 1 year ago
Quoted from adava:

First thing I noticed after reinstalling the board was I am now missing some, but not all music.

Quoted from adava:

The only sound issues I can find here on pinside are for no music at all, and not many solutions.

Your board probably had alkaline damage. I hope you did the required alkaline abatement. It is also possible that the damage was old and whoever did potential replacement of those PIAs did not check their work for correct electrical connections. I have no evidence to back up any of these claims. Just playing the odds game of likely causes.

If you have some music then it's probably the data lines (D0-D7) that are the issue. One or more of them may not be connected correctly (signal interrupted somewhere from possible previous alkaline corrosion or poor repair). Check the connections in this section of the schematic.

sys11_1j21.jpgsys11_1j21.jpg

3 months later
#5652 1 year ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

4.3 volts is way low. Problems start happening at 4.86 volts and lower. At a minimum you need to replace the electrolytic caps, maybe the voltage regulator and the bridge rectifier.

Would it be worth measuring without a load? Unplug the CPU board (main consumer) and/or the master display board (a secondary consumer) and see if something on those boards is possibly dragging the voltage low.

7 months later
#5988 7 months ago
Quoted from classic:

If anyone knows what that's for, please let me know. Thanks so much.

It's GND. Probably connects to 3J6-14 but since it's ground, it's continuous with every ground in the machine.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

3,152 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pulaski, PA
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fargo, ND
3,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Clovis, CA
Lighting - Backbox
Twisted Tokens

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DumbAss.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbot-fans-and-owners-club?tu=DumbAss and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.