20240112_135811 (resized).jpg
IMG_5901 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5902 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7922 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7923 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7921 (resized).jpeg
541EBD6A-2CA4-43E0-AB4B-B18C7FF31AF0 (resized).jpeg
Pinside_forum_7003307_0 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Cariba.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5462 1 year ago

Hello all,
Recently purchased PINBOT. I am somewhat new to this hobby but not shy from doing work and electronics etc.
I've been going over this threads many pages...

I have some questions:

1) Firstly the back box has 1 speaker and 1 tweeter right? (this is how they come stock right?) Any suggested speaker upgrades? (sound seems great as is, but wanted to know what others suggest) What about the cabinet speaker, should that be upgraded? I've read that speaker upgrades in general doen make that much difference (but maybe that was an old post)?

2) I currently have LEDs under plastics only and back box (bought like this). I want to switch to good LEDs under the playfield to make this pin really pop. Should I just be using regular comet LEDs? Can this be done without any further modifications (e.g adding further circuit upgrades to be able to use LEDs) etc?

3) I was thinking of also switching to LED flashers, I am aware that there needs to be a modification to the resistors to remove the warm up voltage. But, is switching to LED flashers recommended/worth it?

4) I am looking to do some lighting modification/upgrades. Particular the interactive Pinduino lighting ramp and adding interactive under cabinet/behind back box LEDs. Any recommendations for this (or against this)? I have no problem doing the electrical hook up etc myself if needed (and if its the cheaper option vrs a plug in kit etc).

5) Any other modifications or upgrades suggested? I seen there is a different ROM with different rules, any details on this? what about the Pinbot light mask?

6) My drop target solenoid system seems to be struggling to reset/raise targets - Any common reasons for this?

Thanks in advance fellow Insiders.

#5470 1 year ago

Thanks for your reply and info.
I had in fact seen your mods previously, very interesting, especially the ramp to the left flipper.

...So a few follow up questions then:

1) Regarding the topper, you said you changed to LEDs (and removed warming resistors) I get that, but you also said you changed the circuit, what do you mean by that?

2) Yeah I am tempted to change to LED flashers on the PF (under the orange cups) but I also like the slow fade in/out etc...so the LEDs don't do that eh, they just flash on right away? Id have to see some videos for comparison - do you know if any vids where the pinbot flashers are LEDs? I suppose there can be a different effect watching video version vrs real life (and vid might give appearance of slower turning on, when in fact they don't appear like that in real life) . What about the Flashers under the PF, I think there are some in between the pop bumpers, did you keep that as bulbs? or these are not flashers? Is the lighting under the sun flashers?

3) So do you have LEDs under playfield or bulbs?

4) Mine has LEDs in the pop bumpers, do they typically have bulbs at all in the pop bumpers? From the manual it does not show any lamps in them.

5) Yes I am interested in the PEMBOT ROM, sorry but Newb question, how is exactly that ROM changed? is there a connection to the board and software used?

6) IF I get the Pinduino light mod, I too would likely follow you and revise the code to reduce the lighting effect. AND would like to add second strip as well perhaps - what exactly did you do with the second strip and the topper? Can you show a vid of this?

7) What about lighting mods under the cabinet or back of box, recommend any? I've been paying with some cheap ones that flash according to the sound, but these are independently powered etc (just trials for now) but I like the effect.

No speaker/sound upgrades or mods required for this pin really? Do you too have only one speaker and a tweeter in the back box?

Thanks for the tips on the drop down target issues, I'll look into that and try to resolve this. (Seems to work on lifting one or two, but three it cant seem to handle)

I find that lighting mods/enhancements for this PIN work well and fit the theme and current lighting show it has, and adding lighting mods aren't overkill...so I am willing to explore this.

#5474 1 year ago
Quoted from dr_spidey:

I just did a complete restore of a Pinbot
1. Just swapping out the speakers won't do much. In my opinion, you will need to drop in an amp if you really want to upgrade the sound. I don't think it's worth it on this pin.
2.LEDs are great for this pin. I put new LED throughout the pin. Just be careful no going to crazy with colors in the backbox, or it washes out all the color.
3. yes to LED flashers. simple conversion. just cut the warming resistor (can send pics if you need help)
4. I didn't do any of this. I did add LED pop bumper covers. they really look great on this pin. I also added LED star posts. This really lights up the playfield. I'll try and see if I can capture a good pic
5. I haven't changed the ROM. May do this upgrade. People seem to love it.
6. If you haven't, you need to clean your drops. Replace the coil sleeve. Inspect all the parts for any wear.
Enjoy

Thanks as well for your feedback...so your PF flashers were changed to LEDs eh?

#5476 1 year ago
Quoted from MoSeS_1592:

To answer a few of your questions:
You don't need to make any modifications to use LED's instead of traditional incandescent bulbs (except cutting warming transistors for flasher bulbs).
I kept my playfield flashers incandescent only because I didn't have any LED flashers that would fit through the playfield holes up behind the visor, although I'm sure they make them. LED flashers definitely 'pop' since they are brighter and turn on instantly but there is something to be said for the incandescent in my opinion. I do like how they fade in and out just slow enough for the eye to catch. Just a matter of opinion. I rebuilt my topper circuit and converted to LED flashers and removed the warming resistors. I used super brite pink flashers under the topper and man does it light the room up when the topper goes off.
In regards to the ROM, I have the PEMBOT rom installed and its just... amazing. Deeper rule set, 'engery drain' penalties, multiple scoring modes, jackpot caps and resets, and most of all a ball saver. I know some people don't like mods and I totally respect that but I personally love the PEMBOT code.
Regarding additional lighting I installed Pinduino in mine and I love it but the code needed some tweaking in my opinion. The lighting is interactive and the code is ingenious, however there are so many triggers that the additional Pinduino lighting just fires off constantly to the point of being annoying. I modified the code in mine to dial it back. For example, I changed the code a bit so the RGB lighting sequences only trigger when a ramp shot is made, the pop bumpers are triggered, the eject hole is obtained or the drop target bank is completed. And when it does trigger the light show only lasts for a few seconds or a half-second depending. Also changed the code so during attract mode it only triggers randomly every 3-5 minutes and for only around 20 seconds at a time. Again, just personal preference here. But I do highly recommend the mod. The Pindiuno board allows for a second RGB strip as well. I used the second one running along the topper for additional interactive lighting. The code is very easy to modify to interact with a second RGB strip.
I had the same issue with the drop target bank solenoid intermittently not having enough kick to push the targets back up. The issue for me was faulty connections on the wire harness. Reflowed solder, tightened contacts and used contact cleaner and haven't had he problem since. But the problem could be a failing solenoid or driver transistor as well.
Lastly, I built a custom made ramp that connects the upper playfield to the left flipper return lane, added a rollover switch to the habitrail lane that triggers the ADV PLANET target, and added an additional arduino that closes the side drains for 30 seconds when the ramp is completed (and advances planet after 3+ ramps are made within 30 seconds) while displaying a countdown time on an illuminated LCD. All of these homebrew mods can be disabled with a switch under the cab. Here are links to the mods if you're interested (these are old):
Original mod:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbot-mods
Second mod:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbot-mod-part-2
Needless to say the game has a lot of room for mods if that's what you're in to. The drain blocking mod definetely makes the game too easy for experienced players hence I added a disable switch. PinBot is a drain monster and this mod makes the game much more entertaining (and less frustrating) for friends and family.
Hope this helps!

I also will likely do the lighting mod under the ramp...great work there too.

#5477 1 year ago
Quoted from someotherguy:

Unpopular opinion: you just got the game, play it and get used to it before you go nuts making modifications. It's an amazing game in its original form. Not everything needs to be "modded" to be enjoyed.
Richard

Thanks, I agree, amazing game as is...not looking for mods to just enjoy, more to take it to another level....ultimately I will likely go through with some mods for now (e.g PEMBOT, ramps lights, LEDs on PF), and investigate others (that's why I'm looking to see if there are videos of them) I'm not sure on converting PF flashers to LEDs yet...likely start with just the LEDs in topper for now.

#5478 1 year ago
Quoted from Cariba:

I also will likely do the lighting mod under the ramp...great work there too.

Hard to find the right chasing LED strip now, cause all of them use remote apps etc. lol

#5488 1 year ago

Can anyone kindly direct me to a purchase/info link of what hardware and software (and chips to buy) I then would need to write/erase ROMs into new chips?
...to upload new PEMBOT rom/code to a new ROM chip and install new ROM chip to my board.

Much appreciated.

#5495 1 year ago
Quoted from MoSeS_1592:

Ask Idealjoker about obtaining the rom patch as he wrote it. Stephan at hobbyroms.com has burned several pinball roms for me over the years and all worked perfectly. provide him a rom file via email and he'd burn and mail me the chips.

Thank very much for that info and referrals, even better that they burn the roms and send the chips.

#5496 1 year ago
Quoted from RichWolfson:

So I finally got to finish both flipper assemblies upgrading them. Thanks Vid and Grumpy. I was committed to doing it right and even was encouraged to add connectors like HEPP. Tried to get the right color coding on the wires, who knew that banded color coding would be impossible to find, but no similarities other than that. Both coils were replaced about 5 years ago but I rewrapped them and also installed new everything including the coil sleeves and stops which it turns out are a bit different length than the ones originally called for. And of course the switch stacks as well.
So the left one is installed and working.
[quoted image]
And I am proud of myself and will install the right one when I figure out this next question for the collective wisdom assembled here.
This is how I had the flippers before. White with either red or blue rubber.
[quoted image]
I bought blue and red flippers and rubbers and asked my son what he thought. He immediately said that he thought the old white flipper was much more visible. He is right but I was up to that moment thinking blue or red flippers and rubbers. So I also played a bit with blue flipper and red rubber. And now I am conflicted.
[quoted image][quoted image]
What do you think? White? Colored flippers with matching rubber? Or....
///Rich
PS-I know there are mounting screws missing. I put some dowels and glue in there and just waiting for it to dry!

For sure the original white flippers...I don't like the solid blue at all....

1 week later
#5514 1 year ago

All,
is it still recommended to add fuses on the bridge rectifiers in the back box?

Thanks,

#5529 1 year ago
Quoted from robx46:

I just put comet non ghosting LED into my Pinbot feature lamps. Yet still the amount of flicker is insane. Do you guys just deal with the flicker? I can't even buy an LED OCD board. Sold out.

Which lamps are the "feature" lamps? under playfield or above?

I'm looking to do LED conversion on my recently acquired PINBOT, it has LEDs above playfield (except the flashers) and on back box (except flashers here too), but I want to add LEDs to underplayfield, flashers and topper flashers...been reading up on this (I know I would need to disconnect warming resistors for LED flashers)....but I'm not sure if I should be using LEDs with bulb top or flexible type for under playfield particularly for replacing the horizontal mounted lamps.

#5532 1 year ago
Quoted from kciaccio:I did all led lights everywhere except the flashers, led flashers can be too bright in my opinion and less work to keep them original. The fire led on the back glass for the sun is a nice touch to do.

Yeah, I hear you about the flashers being too bright but I'd like to try for myself, but at minimum the topper I will convert to LED flashers. What types of LEDs did you use under the playfield?

1 week later
#5542 1 year ago
Quoted from gutz:

It never wasn't nor will it ever not be a mandatory update.

All,
Regarding adding fuses for the bridge rectifiers:

So the fix is to add two 8A slow blo fuses? or one of them is 2.5A? As I'm reading/seeing different info out there.
Thanks in advance.

1 week later
#5569 1 year ago

Notice not many PIN*BOTs with cabinet leg protectors, I was thinking of adding yellow ones to mine, and suggestions?

#5572 1 year ago

Looks like I will need to remove/separate the back box of my PIN*BOT to get it down the stairs to my basement.

I know this is not the best course of action. Other than taking lots of good pics of wire harnesses, connecting points etc...and proper labeling, is there anything else I need to do or watch out for?

Thanks in advance,

1 week later
#5578 1 year ago

Hello All...im trying to remove my ROMs to install PEMBOT ROMs... I tried to remove my current ROM circuit boards and they're not budging...im worried I might crack or damage something...any recommendations or suggestions to remove the circuit boards?

Thanks in advance

#5581 1 year ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

I like to use a tiny watch screwdriver flat head for these. Pry one side, then the other.
NOTE: make sure your screwdriver is under the rom and NOT also the socket.
Hmmm. Is that maybe your issue? You’re trying to pry off the chip but you’re prying under the socket accidentally? The rom chip is inserted into a socket. They pancake each other.

Yes I know its in a socket...im trying to lift in between the two...yes I tried a small flat ahead...but I wasnt really trying two sides bit a t a time...ill try that...so no special tools required? Just noticed the whole pcb board was flexing as I was pulling.

#5585 1 year ago

Ok I just got the switch done...booted up but getting an "adust failure"...
Sorry I've tried researching and not sure what I did wrong. I didn't remove back up battery I have before the switch (I have watch battery board upgrade) ...which is what I thought I read (afterwards) one person told someone to do. I now recall reading some kind of reset is needed?...but can't seem to find official install guide though...I did remove the battery and put it back but no change BUT maybe battery needs to be removed while roms are out of socket? Hope not cause I hate removing and installing these chips.

Can anyone let me know, would be much appreciated.

#5586 1 year ago
Quoted from Cariba:

Ok I just got the switch done...booted up but getting an "adust failure"...
Sorry I've tried researching and not sure what I did wrong. I didn't remove back up battery I have before the switch (I have watch battery board upgrade) ...which is what I thought I read (afterwards) one person told someone to do. I now recall reading some kind of reset is needed?...but can't seem to find official install guide though...I did remove the battery and put it back but no change BUT maybe battery needs to be removed while roms are out of socket? Hope not cause I hate removing and installing these chips.
Can anyone let me know, would be much appreciated.

Its ok, got it now...did a boot up with coin door open then closed and seems ok now.
Thanks

#5588 1 year ago

Ok good to know...that microchip switch out was nerve wrecking!...wasn't easy alining in the microchip prongs to install them in either....jeesh...plus also needed a good amount of force to push them in, and couldn't use prying technique to help like i was able to use pulling them out.
Glad I dont need to go through that again (I know they sell the special socket add ons with levers too)
Was worth it just for ball save feature alone in PEMBOT though, as after I tested it.

Thanks again for the insight.

1 month later
#5632 1 year ago

All,
My (recently purchased) PIN*BOT's knocker doesnt strike when a match is made, the knocker works (on test etc), is it because its on free play? And the match sequence seems to work etc (topper lights flash etc)
I've looked through the manual, other than turning the match feature on or off (it is ON), doesn't seem to be anywhere where I can manually prevent the knocker from activating on match or not.

Any advice, I would much prefer to hear the sound, whether or free paly or not.

Thanks,

#5633 1 year ago

One other question...

My ramp enter switch (switch 40) was not registering, after some trouble shooting seems like it is the resistor between two contacts - Ive bypassed the resistor for now and wanted to know:

-What is the resistor there for anyway? I notice almost all electrical components under the playfield have em.

-What risk is there to run the switch without one?

-Any one know the resistor value to replace it? is it listed in manual?

Thanks

#5635 1 year ago

Ah ok, I understand now, one way voltage switch. ok
Ill replace this asap...do you happen to know what type of diodes are used on the flippers? I'm getting flickering on some LED flashers, I believe the flipper diode needs to be replaced?

I'll check manual too...

Thanks!

#5638 1 year ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Correct, with that being said you need to install them in the correct direction. You need to look at the old diode's silver band and install the new diode band the same way.

Ah yes ok thanks for that.

#5640 1 year ago

So can anyone confirm why my knocker doesn't hit when a match is made? is it cause its in free play? Cause I'm using PEMBOT? the knocker works for all tests etc.

much appreciated,
thanks,

#5643 1 year ago
Quoted from waletboy:

I am running PEMBOT and on free play. I believe mine does the same on matching no knocker but high score and replay it works. I will confirm and get back to you when I match a game again.

Yes, I noted yesterday that the knocker did in fact work on replay score achieved. I'm still left wondering if the knocker not actuating on a match is a symptom of PEM*BOT or free play setting?

Anyone else can confirm?

#5645 1 year ago
Quoted from idealjoker:

That's a PEMBOT bug, unfortunately. It will be fixed in J-3. In the mean time, please PM me your email address so that I can send you an updated version for testing.

Ah ok thanks for confirming and letting us know. There was another issue I experienced with getting a high score, that I ended up having to reset the machine. I thought I read about that on another post or thread, but I recall it was about the music (not playing?) for reaching new high score, whereas the music played for my instance, but some other issues arose. I can PM you with more details.

Regards,

#5659 1 year ago

Can anyone confirm which ceramic resistors are for front left and right flashers? I recently changed ALL flashers to LEDs, and find these front two just too bright, so looking to switch ONLY these (#1 & 2 in pic) back to 89 flasher Bulbs if possible- and obviously only want to reconnect the ceramic resistors for only these flashers, or are the resistors shared with other flashers? if so which ones?

I would think the ceramic resistors are either in board A or B in this pic.

Thanks in advance for help.

20230213_135231 (resized).jpg20230213_135231 (resized).jpg20230213_135331 (resized).jpg20230213_135331 (resized).jpg
#5662 1 year ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

The led flashers can be replaced with standard #89 bulbs without replacing the resistors.

Well perhaps you misunderstood or I am misunderstanding you...I have disconnected the warming resistors when I changed to LED flashers...but I did all of them as I converted to all LED flashers. But now I want to revert back bulbs on only front flashers of playfield...and reconnect the warming resistors for now these 89 bulbs...Im not looking to replace the resistors.

#5663 1 year ago
Quoted from jibmums:

While we're on the subject of flashers..... the ONLY places #1251 flasher bulbs are used are in the two eyeballs in the backbox and two under the visor, correct? Eveything else is #89? Reason I ask, the flasher socket under the orange dome on the left side of my playfield is labeled from the factory with one of those white-with-red-printing "LAMP 28V. #1251" stickers. I'm certain it's incorrect, just want to corroborate.

Not quite...yes the two eyes on the back box...but also, in total, 6 bulbs are 1251 (28v) under the visor; not just 2...4 are accessed from top, 2 are under playfiled and light up the saucer plates.

Let me know if you want further details.

#5665 1 year ago
Quoted from jibmums:

Thanks, I see what you mean. I didn't know they were all #1251's, they're not labeled on mine, so aside from the backbox:
2 directly behind the saucer plates, passing through the playfield,
2 between the saucer plates, passing through the playfield,
and 2 mounted under the playfield, lighting the saucer plates from underneath.
That all correct? And I assume the mislabeled one under the left orange dome should should be a #89.

Yes sounds right...basicly all bulbs to do with the eyes, both playfield and back box...rest are 89s...yeah I have same incorrect label, I recall reading a post here that there was in fact a service bulletin issued from Williams (back in the day) to correct that.

#5667 1 year ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

It's not needed as I said before, just install the #89 bulbs and enjoy.

I see...
You don't think the 89 bulbs last longer and display better with warming resistors?

#5669 1 year ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

They do last longer on the #63 bulbs, but not so much on the #89. Newer system 11 and WPC games did away with the warming resistors all together.

Ok, Ill give it a try, since I am trying to reduce the flashing anyway (as the warming resistors are also there to help them act more like a flash from my understanding)
If I do want to revert back to having the warming resistors working, do you happen to know which ones are for those flashers and if the same resistors are also used for other flashes?

Thanks again.

#5670 1 year ago

Also,

I'm experiencing flickering from LED flashers' when the right flipper is activated. I've research this, and replaced the right flipper diode last night BUT it is still occurring. Any suggestions? I've looked at he flipper buttons and don't see diodes though (but there are capacitors).

I've read this (But don't know if it applies to PIN*BOT):

"The trickier problem is when putting flashlamps into games that had the Aux power driver board (again starting with Big Guns ). On those games if you put LED flashlamps into circuits #3, 4, 6 or 7, those flashlamps will go off anytime you hit the flippers or any other 50 V coils. On those circuits you would need to cut diodes 3,4,6 and 7 off the aux driver board and then install diodes on coils #3,4, 6 and 7."

from this post:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/removing-warming-resistors

#5673 1 year ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Have you rebuilt the power supply?

Yes the previous owner added a new power supply.

#5674 1 year ago

Can anyone suggest troubleshooting steps to help determine why LED flashers are flickering when right flippers are used, even after I replaced flipper diode.

#5683 1 year ago
Quoted from Brunsie:

I'm getting more play on my refurbed PinBot and noticing the eye shots seem harder than they should be. I believe I'm getting some ball flight from the 5-bank target (and possibly the Cliffy I installed). My target bank does not settle square when up and I have found it doesn't sit square when down either. See photo for when up. I used the two adjusting screws to get the front edge flush on both sides when pushed down manually but in game play the right side is up slightly and doesn't sit on the right adjustment screw when down. Again, it sits flush if I push down manually on the right side. There is some play of the target carrier in the target guide that allows it to cock to one side. I've read all the "5-Bank" posts and haven't found this specific issue discussed. Any suggestions on how to get the target carrier to be square when up and down would be much appreciated. Also, to me it seems that the top of the carrier is slightly angled so the back is slightly higher than the front. Should the back be flush or the front or somewhere in the middle?
[quoted image]

I ran into a similar issue recently and this is what I ended up doing to correct it. In my case when I had removed the upper visor plate cover ( with the decal of the animation control bridge etc overhead) i did not put back two small black spacers (see pics) in between the cover and the base part- without the spacers the visor, when it lifts, does not travel fully up (as the now slightly lower cover stops it just a bit) SINCE the moving visor is tied to the target bank movement via swivel brackets and all move together, in my case, the slightly limited final moment of the visor stopped the target bank from fully traveling below the playfield.

Again...this SEEMED to be what fixed my issue...so at minimum check that ur spacers are in and if the visor is actually the reason the target bank is not dropping fully...

Let me know...

20230221_155702 (resized).jpg20230221_155702 (resized).jpg20230221_155806 (resized).jpg20230221_155806 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#5722 1 year ago

Can anyone confirm if - On the back box multi colored section/strip that lights up when pinbot speaks (under the visor )- the two outer lights (yellow on our left and red on our right) actually come on when the speech is done? doesn't look like it does, BUT it did seem like it did when it was speaking late game?
I recently added light masks and notice that these lights don't make it on (again other than late game instances unless I could be wrong)?

I should remove the translate to check, just haven't done so and I'm really curious to know if anyone can confirm....or is it cause the speech or certain words don't last long enough to lite the outter two bulbs? While other speech does?

Thanks,

#5735 1 year ago
Quoted from PM_Jeremy:

Yes they should. You can also go into the light test to verify operation. Video linked below showing pinbot startup.
Pinball Mayhem Jeremy

yes... thanks for confirming...I had a bulb out.

1 week later
#5738 1 year ago

Can anyone tell me if (and how) the ball eject trajectory can be adjusted for the left ball elect hole beside the visor? although my pin needs to be leveled a bit, it usually drains just to the right middle and usually un-savable.

I've played the virtual pinball of this game and it ejects on a good angle to the sides of the entrance to this hole and bounces nicely back to flippers etc - is this the "normal" way the ball should typically travel?

Thanks,

#5740 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballizfun:

verify any rubber in that lane is present. The back of that hole above the PF has a metal piece behind it, iirc. Try to shift that to aim more to the middle of the PF or the side of the PF, any adjustment there will be very minimal. When the ball ejects it could be hitting that piece. Changing that angle even just a tiny bit can have a major impact 30 inches down the PF. See if you can shift the coil under the PF t all to change the starting angle the ball comes out at. Generally the ball will hit the walls in the area below the hole on the way out.

Ok, thanks for suggestions, definitely no missing parts or rubbers, the actuator itself is not adjustable and the saucer plate base has a small slot for the actuating arm so that would need to move anyway - so best option would be to try to adjust the angled metal piece above, but needs to remove ramp and plastics to get that that.
I'll let you know how that worked out.

Thanks,

#5746 1 year ago
Quoted from Billc479:

For the angle of the ball exiting the eyes - there are two pieces of metal protruding up. To make the ball go left, slightly bend the right piece toward center. To make to ball go right, slightly bend the left piece toward center. A little bit of adjustment goes a VERY long way, so do this in very small increments, almost unnoticeable to the eye. Test after each iteration.

I see, I will need to look closer, I did notice there was two actuators arms/eject mechanisms if I am not mistaken, one shorter than the other, is that what you are referring to? I thought the smaller one was to dampen the shock to the ball or something. I wonder why it has two...for this purpose or another reason?

I did originally try to bend that (longer) actuating arm but didn't seem like it was moving and seemed like I would break something instead. I think in the manual it shows these arms can be adjusted (and seemed like they meant to bend them too) , but for the ball launch system. That's where I got the idea to try to bend it as well at this ball capture/eject one.

#5747 1 year ago
Quoted from Billc479:

For the angle of the ball exiting the eyes - there are two pieces of metal protruding up. To make the ball go left, slightly bend the right piece toward center. To make to ball go right, slightly bend the left piece toward center. A little bit of adjustment goes a VERY long way, so do this in very small increments, almost unnoticeable to the eye. Test after each iteration.

...and so would you say not to bother trying to change the direction of the angled metal bracket above the hole?

#5749 1 year ago
Quoted from slochar:

I wouldn't. That's there more to dampen the ball going into the eye and directing it down.

OK, but just to clarify the eject hole I'm talking about is not the eyes, its the one outside and to the left of the visor - I'm sure doesn't make difference but just incase wanted to clarify that.

#5752 1 year ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Not angled down, turn it sideways.
[quoted image][quoted image]

ok, so you would suggest to just do this, not try to bend ejector arm(s)?

#5755 1 year ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

If the ball is popping out of the saucer when the ball is hit into to it, then do what I pictured. If the ball doesn't pop out of the saucer when it should, then adjust the ejector arm.

Ok thank for the suggestions here, but I am not experiencing neither of those issues, my issue is that the ball is ejected in a straight trajectory down to drain in between flippers.

#5756 1 year ago

The screws and the holes in the kicker mounts are not the same size. They can be moved slightly. But moving the base even a half mm will move the way the ball moves by much more than that due to the length of the PF. Just loosen all 4 screws, torque the mounting in either direction and tighten it. Then test it, if its not better do it again in the opposite direction. This will probably fix the issue. Also check to make sure that the parts themselves don't have too much slop in them. Don't go bending parts that you might screw up and not be able to easily replace until that is the only option left.

Ah ok, good idea never thought of that - Ill give that a try first.
Do you happen to know why there are to eject arms btw?

#5758 1 year ago

There is only one eject arm. Its the same setup on the eyes and the trough. If you look the one that actually contracts the ball isn't really connected to the plunger on the coil. It's mounted to the smaller metal piece that is attached to the plunger at a pivot point. There is also a spring that attaches the 2 pieces and the actual eject side can be pulled against the spring and pivot in relation to the one attached to the plunger, This is the reason for the slot in the one side. Why they used this setup, I can't say. It does offset the location of the ejector slightly, but I'd lean more toward there being more power delivered to the ball to make sure that it does get ejected, but the longer arm might not have fit it it was the only one there. The pivot and spring also keep it from being over powered. Some of the power gets absorbed in the spring.

Yes you are right...I looked over this assembly again and realized that there is only really one ejector arm and other seems to be like a shock absorber of some kind as I had originally thought.

But I am happy to report that I did adjust it at the base screws as suggested and was Indeed able to have ball now eject properly where it now does bounce off to right and ultimately comes down to either right flipper or right sling (not draining down the middle)...which is much, much better than before....would give me anxiety when the ball got elected lol.

Thank you all for the help...now I can play this machine properly, especially given that I have the PEMBOT patch and that hole is fairly important in the rule set.

Thanks.

2 weeks later
#5776 1 year ago

Any idea what could have caused a high score reboot/reset after an issue and power restart requried? I was playing and locked a second ball in the right eye socket, but nothing happened, waited to see if it would execute ball find, but it didn't, and then noticed flippers were not responding either...turned off the machine and it had a few switch errors messages on boot up AND high scores were wiped/reset. And then after some testing etc, seems no issue with switches and warnings went away.

I am also running PEMBOT fyi.

Similar issues happened before (but not frequent), where the machine needed to be turned off as if it was stuck.

1 week later
#5780 1 year ago
Quoted from dq13:

I would start with looking at the plunger rubber. It may need replacing or just resetting. Definitely vacuum and clean the lane and the ramp. Also, check the shooter rod and make sure it's contacting the ball directly in the center. Sometimes the assembly needs realigning

Also (if not above issues) check the rubber along the inner right side of the playfield, where the ball travels upwards before entering the ramp, IF its off placement or rubber is too slack etc from say loose post, the ball will rub with the rubber and slow down, but still stay on trajectory.

2 weeks later
#5815 11 months ago

Looking for help as well, my GI right side (red) does not come on, but comes on in certain time in attract mode (but seems more dim). Also weirdly the flippers actuate too (when buttons are pressed) in certain times in attract mode. Note I am running PEMBOT ROM.

I also have new power supply previous owner installed.

I've started to take a look at fuses...but:

Is there a particular fuse that I should test? when I test fuses, the ohms seems to fluctuate should I be getting stable readings?
what other trouble shooting steps should I use for this issue?

FYI: I've had some fairly infrequent issues where the game needs to be reset as well, and it actually lost high scores stored, and I do get flickering to 28 v LED flashers when I press the right flipper.
I did change the diode on the flipper a while back, but just yesterday realized that there are two diodes, one on the switches and contacts and one off the coil it self (where as I did only the switch one), so I'll likely do the coil ones too now.
SO there may be something inherently wrong that may have caused the GI to get like this?

Thanks in advance

#5818 11 months ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Find the GI relay under the play field and check the connector for overheating. Turn the relay board over and look for cracked solder joints.

If the flippers work all the time in attract mode you have a cpu issue, if they work randomly this maybe a PEMBOT issue.

No, not for this issue. But when you do test fuses they must be removed from circuit and there should not be any fluctuations. ZERO OMHS!

You replaced the wrong diode, it's the diode on the coil that might be the issue.

This is normally a low 5 volt signal on the CPU board. You should measure the voltage on the CPU board test points while someone else is playing a multiball, you should read 4.86 volts DC or higher.

Thank you very much for this...

quick question, the diode off the flipper coil has thin gauge coil winding wiring connected to/soldered to the contacts with the wires etc too - do you know if this small gauge coil wiring can take the heating etc to remove the diode, as the diode terminals seemed wrapped around the points and soldered well - may need some serious work to de-solder and remove diode - I am almost tempted to just cut the diode off (leave terminal ends soldered on) and solder new one on (instead of trying to remove the whole diode as risk damaging these coil wires.

#5820 11 months ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

You just cut off the old diode, don't try to unsolder it. Hold the new one in place with a dot of hot glue so that the leads are parallel to the old leads. Solder the new lead to the old lead on each side. Drink a beer! Done.

Yes ok that's what I thought, thanks again.

I'll take a look at the relay for the GI issue as you suggested and report back.

cheers.

#5821 11 months ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

This is normally a low 5 volt signal on the CPU board. You should measure the voltage on the CPU board test points while someone else is playing a multiball, you should read 4.86 volts DC or higher.

IF there is a low voltage value/issue on the CPU board - what is the cause and fix?

#5823 11 months ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

90% bad power supply, 5% cracked header pins/bad connector 1J-17, 5% bad chip on the CPU drawing too much power.

Ok thank you.
P.S. when you say bad chip on CPU, any chip or a certain one is likely the usual cause?

3 weeks later
#5839 10 months ago
Quoted from ManyQuarters:

Congratulations, Pinbot is an excellent, highly rated game and for a reason. You won't regret fixing it up!
- Ok, that post to the left of the visor.
If I squint enough at a magnified picture of the Pinbot flyer, it shows a small metal post with an equally small white rubber (see pic 1). It sits there to protect the ball guide. My restored Pinbot shows the same and there is a similar one right behind it (see pic 2 and 3).
- As for the whole area and fit of the various parts under the visor, this can be a frustratingly subtle problem area. To get my Pinbot (even though fully restored) visor lid, plastics, posts, rubbers etc. to function and play smoothly (lid fully down and flush, balls where they are supposed to lock etc.), I spent many hours getting it just right. The problem is that every game is slightly different (where holes were drilled etc.).
- If your game is like mine, save yourself numerous hours of fastening - unfastening and 'perhaps' try a visor set up like mine (pic 3). I canned the factory set up of posts and placed different posts that work for my game, partly because of the playfield protector and clear protective washers I installed required tweaking of the set up. I went with blue left side and red right side theme throughout the game. No it's not factory but everything on my game plays smooth as silk now!
Let's not even talk about the two visor motor switches under the hood...just yet!)
Hope this helps.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Hey Many Quarters, why is there a bride of Pinbot head/acrylic piece it seems above the visor?

#5840 10 months ago

Can anyone post a few pics/angles of the switches under the back ramp, particularly the first one (enter ramp switch) ..want to compare mine (and diode wiring etc) to another one. Thanks.

#5843 10 months ago

Thanks for the pics.

1 week later
#5847 10 months ago
Quoted from MoSeS_1592:

I'll try to get some pics and a video this weekend. It's an 8 segment rgb led strip that uses an Arduino to control the lighting sequence. Normally it's just the pinbot colors as seen in the photo but occasionally in attract mode the lights will periodically flicker and when the ramp is completed it does a knight rider 'scanning' animation.

Very cool...don't u have it replicate the bb voice lights as well?

2 months later
#5926 8 months ago
Quoted from Mrg50:

There are 2 adjustment screws under the playfield that set the height of the switch bank. Adjust these so that the bank when down is level with the playfield.

Yes I agree, the switch bank top looks a little too low on the right side, this is creating a "pocket" where the ball gets stuck. Don't go too high though or the ball will not travel properly in to the socket holes.

1 week later
#5972 7 months ago
Quoted from TronGuy:

What is a hard top?

Ya I just found out about these last week.

1 month later
#6004 6 months ago

Looking for help.

My outhole (ball drain) doesn't register the ball sometimes.

I did a switch test and seems fine.
I replaced the diode just in case.

Switch itself seems ok and clicks.

Tested switch with a ball to make sure ball actually actuated switch and that seems ok.

Still not registering sometimes.

Should I be now looking at connections in back box?

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

#6005 6 months ago

I discovered that there is a certain condition created (maybe from another issue) that is present when the outhole lane switch does not register.

Seems like either when the left flipper is sometimes actuated or the ramp switches (not sure which one yet) are actuated, it gets into a certain condition where two topper(LED Towers) flashers are constantly on (and sound effects of thunder when exiting ramp onto upper playfield, are NOT on)...it is in this condition when the outhole/drain switch is not registering. I also added by pass wires for this switch and when it was not registering I tried to close circuit and nothing happened- so its not the switch itself.

I also had to replace a diode in back box pinbot speak yellow light...this fix fixed that lamp issue.

So I am wondering if this is a diode issue somewhere...

I'll need to research the WP 11 switch matrix thing too.

#6006 6 months ago

Looks like the culprit was the blasted diodes, both on the left flipper and on the enter ramp switch.
Thats been the source if most of my issues on this machines, the diodes.

Is there any reason they go other than age? Cause the enter ramp switch diode was actually replaced half a year ago, but I did make a wiring issue mix up and had wires wrong way around...ended up blowing a few fuses cause of that. Could that had affected this new diodes life span too?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Lighting - Backbox
Twisted Tokens

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

3,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Clovis, CA
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fargo, ND
4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Kingston, OK
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Cariba.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbot-fans-and-owners-club?tu=Cariba and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.