IMG_5902 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7922 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7923 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7921 (resized).jpeg
541EBD6A-2CA4-43E0-AB4B-B18C7FF31AF0 (resized).jpeg
Pinside_forum_7003307_0 (resized).jpg
IMG_1351 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1103 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Bospins.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3897 4 years ago

Hey Everyone
Just got myself a pinbot over the weekend. My 7 year old son is doing his best to single handedly double the number of plays on the thing. What a great game.

Question - someone replaced all the displays with pinscore ones, not sure how long ago. They're working well except the top row of displays won't show the bottom right diagonal segment in any of the digits...in other words, Rs look like Ps (JUPITER looks like JUPITEP)

I suspect a faulty ribbon cable but before I go troubleshooting, thought I'd check with you all and see if you've experienced this and could suggest a likely root cause.

#3899 4 years ago

I swapped ribbons around and that worked. I think I just need new ribbons. Not urgent. Game needs some cosmetics but is actually playing great.

1 month later
#3967 4 years ago

Hey friends - I’m just finishing up a full shop of my PB, and have a question about the rule set:

After multiball, when one ball drains, my chest target back stays down. I can still shoot and lock a ball in an eye socket, and it gets kicked out immediately. After some random period of time or unknown event, the chest target back decides to raise up again.

Is that normal? I would expect the target bank to rise up immediately after a ball drains from multiball. Game seems to work perfectly except for this seemingly weird behavior. (I get that if you have a ball locked when your 2nd one drains, the bank would have to stay down until it kicked your locked ball out, but after the kick-out the bank should rise up again immediately, right?)

#3969 4 years ago
Quoted from gutz:

Once you hit another playfield switch, (not the eye sockets) the bank will raise.

Thanks for the quick reply. My motor is on its way out and I have a replacement inbound from Marco, so once that’s in I’ll test it.

#3971 4 years ago
Quoted from PM_Jeremy:

I don't see that listed on their site. What advantages does it offer?

One of the things that's not super great about the PB ruleset for tournament or home use is how the solar value accumulates and is collected. It accumulates from game to game until someone collects it. So, someone could walk up to a game with a huge accumulated, but uncollected solar value, and get a huge score for doing very little work on their first multiball. In a tournament, that would give the first player a huge advantage for no reason.

There are 2 alternative rulesets floating around. One is on IPDB sets the solar value at 500k for each new game, and adds 250k (I think) for each ramp shot. This is much better for home use and tournament play...the solar value is carried over from ball to ball and player to player, so it's possible to steal someone's solar value, just like stealing a lock (which you can also do in PB). There is another one from a member here that sets the base solar value at 300k and the solar advance at 50k, which I think is a better, more balanced setupas it doesn't make the solar value dominate your objective (it's still worthwhile to go after energy xfer and planet advance), and that's the one I have personally installed. Either one is good though. Matt made the EPROM for me.

Swapping out one of the socketed EPROMS is all you have to do.

Note to talented people with skills: An amazing rom hack would be to allow the solar value and advance to be configurable via the 3-button setup in the coin door!

#3973 4 years ago
Quoted from wolffcub:

Its the 26,27 chips that you swap out. The one I got sets the solar to 300k at a start of a game and you can change the solar loop value in the settings. I have it set to add 99k per solar loop as it wont allow me to go to 100k in the settings. If your playing more than one player the solar carries between players till game is over.

...and I think it resets to 300K once it's collected.

#3980 4 years ago

Cliffys in my kick outs, chest bank, and vortex exit rollover...it’s a beautiful thing.

D4F8A987-0232-4548-AD91-101CCFC09BEB (resized).jpegD4F8A987-0232-4548-AD91-101CCFC09BEB (resized).jpeg
#3984 4 years ago
Quoted from RichWolfson:

I don't see Pin•Bot listed on the Cliffy site. Where did you get your protectors?
///Rich

I emailed him.

It was a bit of a lark...but if you dig into Cliff's site, you can see he meticulously restored a PB, so I thought he might have had patterns for it...and he did!

I had to slightly modify the chest protector one, the hole for the post was in the wrong spot and needed a little action with a dremel. I'm sure this is due to variation in how the PBs were put together from the factory over the years. But it was an easy enough mod.

If you email Cliff just be patient, he's a busy guy, but his work is awesome and I'm glad to have his stuff on my machine.

#3986 4 years ago
Quoted from Cliffy:

Thanks to Richard for posting the pic- I'l grab that for a future pin*bot page iff'n ya don't mind

<PICARD>”Permission Granted.”</PICARD>

2 months later
#4187 4 years ago

Finally finished my pinbot.

- full led conversion including flashers, trough light, backbox light, flipper button lights and Star post lights...comet pinball, take my money!
- playfield strip, clean, wax, new rubbers and pinballs
- replaced the vortex ramp, orbit ramp (thanks @freeplay40) and visor (thanks @freeplay40)
- all new plastics set
- new vinyl decals for visor and ramp
- rebuilt center target mechanism with new limit switches and motor
- replaced numerous sockets and switches
- bent and installed new eye socket wire forms
- cliffys installed for center drop target and saucers
- new plastic shields for saucers
- rebuilt shooter and flippers, upgraded to fliptronic style springs
- new pinscore displays and ribbon cables
- miscellaneous electrical gremlins exorcised
- replaced / upgraded backbox and cabinet speakers
- installed tournament roms (Matt’s basement arcade ftw)
- removed the 30 year old mummified frog from the bottom of the cabinet

...and most importantly, got the GC score and knocked my buddy Shane off the leaderboard.

Happy flipping!!

B0E1AFF6-ECA3-4918-8C0F-FBD827182F7D (resized).jpegB0E1AFF6-ECA3-4918-8C0F-FBD827182F7D (resized).jpeg
3 weeks later
#4210 3 years ago
Quoted from hawkeye11:

This game needed a ton of work. Finally got it done, looks and plays great![quoted image]

where did you get that decal for the top of the chest target? I really like that.

1 week later
#4230 3 years ago
Quoted from cshelden:

Game: Pinbot
Trouble: The ball will not eject into the shooter lane
Was playing fine started new game and it would not eject into the shooter lane.
All balls accounted for, I then performed a Switch Edge check, all check fine with the exception of Trough #2, which does not register. All other in that area do.
Checked switch and it works properly with DVM, I checked the diode it's operational.
Backbox, confirmed all connections in good order. Q44 for this switch is within spec.
I'm stumped.

Great detective work so far, and I agree you're at a bit of a head scratcher.

did you check the switch with your finger, or with a ball?

I have found switches that trigger reliably with my finger are intermittent when triggered with a ball. I've also found the contacts get dirty and can cause some intermittent operation, you can run a dollar bill through there and get the gunk off.

If you take the wires off the switch and touch them together, does the edge trigger?

#4231 3 years ago

Duplicate post

2 weeks later
#4249 3 years ago

+1 for ball save!!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Bospins.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbot-fans-and-owners-club?tu=Bospins and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.