SmartSelect_20210914-161947_Chrome (resized).jpg
SmartSelect_20210914-153320_Chrome (resized).jpg
B587027A-8B12-4097-96AD-049396734CBB (resized).jpeg
0FEE23D1-4EF2-4FB9-A65E-F23AE2E0E6E9 (resized).jpeg
A3122E0E-5BB7-4DC8-A5C0-E6F20CA90830 (resized).jpeg
78E464F1-8CE7-4BD9-A215-7D8098B2FAD3 (resized).jpeg
D42D45ED-B19B-4B6E-8714-5FBBE5ED2501 (resized).jpeg
5B567EE9-32FB-4D2B-A7E1-74D8A8BDB5ED (resized).jpeg

There are 4922 posts in this topic. You are on page 99 of 99.
#4901 24 days ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

When this relay activates, it powers up all 8 C side solenoids. It can be that the relay is bad, the diode on the relay board is shorted or one of the 8 C side solenoids is shorted.
As far as a IDC punch down tool, I got a very nice tool from Swinks Pinball. It will last a lifetime.
https://www.shapeways.com/product/XACSFLRSE/idc-156f-crimping-handle-pinball-tool?optionId=56016634&li=shops
https://www.shapeways.com/product/PSCPEYT2J/idc-100-156f-wire-inserter-pinball-tool?optionId=65050666&li=shops

cheers mate

I also offer a different hand for the idc wire inserter which doubles as a flipper button nut tool

https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace?type=product&q=swinksidc

#4902 24 days ago
Quoted from WhiskeyTango:

Disconnected J11, J12 and J19 - does not trip breaker, so i'm going to assume the MPU is good for now.
Connect only J11 - breaker trips
Connect only J12 - breaker does not trip
Connect only J19 - breaker does not trip
Connect any two - breaker trips
There is something bridged/shared between these and I'm having a hell of a time finding it.

The left eye bulbs are on J-11. Pull all 3 bulbs and retest.

#4903 23 days ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

The left eye bulbs are on J-11. Pull all 3 bulbs and retest.

- Removed the flashers from both eyes and it completed the sequence without tripping the breaker.
- Reinstalled Sun flashers and trips breaker.

Now I'm assuming I've got two bad transistors on the board or a bunch of bad flasher bulbs.

#4904 22 days ago

Reinstalled Sun flashers and trips breaker.

This is because the breaker is 1 amp. 3 #89 bulbs pull 1.8 amps. Put in the 2.5 fuse and it will be fine.

- Removed the flashers from both eyes and it completed the sequence without tripping the breaker.

I think one of the bulb filaments is shorted out. Test each one with jumpers and a 12 volt battery.

#4905 20 days ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

I think one of the bulb filaments is shorted out. Test each one with jumpers and a 12 volt battery.

Not one, not two, but three bulbs were shorted. I assumed they were good and immediately was drawn into looking for a more complicated solution.

Remember kids, start with the easy stuff first. lol

#4906 20 days ago

Don't think I've ever had a bulb get shorted before, didn't even know it was possible. You learn something new every day. Thanks for the heads up!

#4907 19 days ago

Not one, not two, but three bulbs were shorted. I assumed they were good and immediately was drawn into looking for a more complicated solution.
Remember kids, start with the easy stuff first. lol

These bulbs need to be #1251s. not #89s.

#4908 19 days ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

These bulbs need to be #1251s. not #89s.

One in the eye and two in the Sun, so one 1251 and 2 89s.

#4909 19 days ago

One in the eye and two in the Sun, so one 1251 and 2 89s.

1 week later
#4910 12 days ago

Deleted - Found what I needed.

1 week later
#4911 1 day ago

Good morning, l’m looking for playfield scan to create an overlay playfield for pin bot ....is there anyone who can help me ? Thank you

#4912 1 day ago

Why not just get a hardtop?

#4913 1 day ago
Quoted from FrankJ:

Yeah, might as well at that point unless you're looking for the commonly worn spots on the playfield. Which, there's already decals for that too.

#4914 1 day ago
Quoted from FrankJ:

Completely agree; no need to reinvent the wheel for a potentially lesser product with bigger headaches in developing

#4915 23 hours ago

GRUMPY I am still stuck. The fuse isn’t blowing after replacing the relay and wiring it up but the coils still won’t fire :/.

740D99E0-AD48-457A-81B4-4EF59C114747 (resized).jpeg

It looks like both the A and C side fail. That means that the relay I bought isn't working?

#4916 17 hours ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

I am still stuck.

So take a DMM and test the screw terminals, GND should read 32 volts, 28 volts should read 32 volts, DRV should read 32 volts, NC should read 32 volts, Coil should read zero until the relay closes.

Let me know what you get.

#4917 17 hours ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

So take a DMM and test the screw terminals, GND should read 32 volts, 28 volts should read 32 volts, DRV should read 32 volts, NC should read 32 volts, Coil should read zero until the relay closes.
Let me know what you get.

I’m getting:
35.9 on GND, +28, and NC. I get .6 on DRV and zero on coil. When I put it into the coil test cycle I get this weird array of voltages (video) on DRV while it cycles through the tests. The coil lug will get .1v pulses in line with when working coils fire.

#4918 16 hours ago

So I’m tracing the line out (DRV) which goes right into a 2.5 AMP slow blow that is blowing. Apparently I’m coming out of the relay too hot? Obviously my voltage is high from the prior post. Is that triggering anything for you?

C5379B85-C28A-4ED6-947B-7CBFF4C3BDE3 (resized).jpeg
#4919 16 hours ago

I take that back, maybe it is the line in? Looks like the brown wire which is connected to NC.

#4920 13 hours ago

Pinbot…. Yeah we have one now so that’s good. It was the wifey-poo’s fault though. She loves Pinbot so we overpaid for a very beat up one. $3300!!! Yikes!!! Well, it works… not very well, but it works. Marco Pinball got a $200 order from us the same day… just for starters!
Poor old Pinbot needs major repairs. The main damage is the front of the cabinet. It looks as if someone had spilled one or more 44oz drinks down the front of the machine many years ago. The Coin door, lock bar, and front cabinet panel all have damage. Everything else is nice but needs refurbishment. It has never been serviced, was running AA’s on the board and the big 30,000uf cap is original!!!
Really!!!
And the machine boots and works.
One day after the wife bought this one, another Pinbot appeared on Craigslist locally for $2750 in much much MUCH better shape.
All you can say is “So it goes!” and laugh at yourself.
I intend to bring this beat to snot Pinbot back to life. I should cut my losses, part it out and buy the cheaper one that’s already fixed but I am rather stupid!
All Pinbots deserve to live. My wife said.
She wanted to play it one more time before we start stripping it down for repairs.
While she was changing a few burned out bulbs in the back box, she inserted a new shorted bulb.
The upper half of the backbox lights went out for good. No more light where it says PINBOT.
I was grumpy and tired and couldn’t figure out what burned up. “Probably a transistor?” I said unconvincingly.
I told her I’ll probably figure this out as I will be taking out all the boards for recap and reflow, but it really bugged her. She looked like Charlie Brown when he thought he killed the Christmas tree.
I haven’t been able to cheer her up.
Does hallmark make pinball sympathy cards?
If anyone can give her advice on how to fix the lights it would be appreciated, she broke them and she wants to fix them with no help from me.
I’ll be outside welding patches on the 73 Spitfire.

#4921 3 hours ago
Quoted from thetylander:

Pinbot…. Yeah we have one now so that’s good. It was the wifey-poo’s fault though. She loves Pinbot so we overpaid for a very beat up one. $3300!!! Yikes!!! Well, it works… not very well, but it works. Marco Pinball got a $200 order from us the same day… just for starters!
Poor old Pinbot needs major repairs. The main damage is the front of the cabinet. It looks as if someone had spilled one or more 44oz drinks down the front of the machine many years ago. The Coin door, lock bar, and front cabinet panel all have damage. Everything else is nice but needs refurbishment. It has never been serviced, was running AA’s on the board and the big 30,000uf cap is original!!!
Really!!!
And the machine boots and works.
One day after the wife bought this one, another Pinbot appeared on Craigslist locally for $2750 in much much MUCH better shape.
All you can say is “So it goes!” and laugh at yourself.
I intend to bring this beat to snot Pinbot back to life. I should cut my losses, part it out and buy the cheaper one that’s already fixed but I am rather stupid!
All Pinbots deserve to live. My wife said.
She wanted to play it one more time before we start stripping it down for repairs.
While she was changing a few burned out bulbs in the back box, she inserted a new shorted bulb.
The upper half of the backbox lights went out for good. No more light where it says PINBOT.
I was grumpy and tired and couldn’t figure out what burned up. “Probably a transistor?” I said unconvincingly.
I told her I’ll probably figure this out as I will be taking out all the boards for recap and reflow, but it really bugged her. She looked like Charlie Brown when he thought he killed the Christmas tree.
I haven’t been able to cheer her up.
Does hallmark make pinball sympathy cards?
If anyone can give her advice on how to fix the lights it would be appreciated, she broke them and she wants to fix them with no help from me.
I’ll be outside welding patches on the 73 Spitfire.

The 5 amp SB fuse burnt for that string of lights.

#4922 3 hours ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

I’m getting:
35.9 on GND, +28, and NC. I get .6 on DRV and zero on coil. When I put it into the coil test cycle I get this weird array of voltages (video) on DRV while it cycles through the tests. The coil lug will get .1v pulses in line with when working coils fire.

Voltage is fine, not too high.

Now for the DRV terminal, even with the wire removed the terminal should read 32 volts unless there is something wrong with the relay board. The red wires bring in the 32 volts to the relay coil and diode. After going thru the relay coil windings this voltage comes out to the DRV terminal and then the CPU grounds it to turn it on. So since you have no voltage, there must be a break on the board traces or a bad coil winding. Do so ohm testing to find the issue.

There are 4922 posts in this topic. You are on page 99 of 99.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside