Topic Stats

• 3,668 posts
  • 314 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 days ago by Zukram
  • Topic is favorited by 160 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,005 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

board (resized).jpg
Solenoid Table (resized).png
Solenoid Note (resized).png
cut2 (resized).jpg
cut1 (resized).jpg
20190514_201012 (resized).jpg
20190514_195714 (resized).jpg
2932FFAC-A84C-4F25-927B-D4771DF7952A (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
Lamp Matrix (resized).png
PSB (resized).png
CPU (resized).png
PB Visor Mech Drawing (resized).png
20190323_222833 (resized).jpg

There are 3668 posts in this topic. You are on page 74 of 74.
#3651 10 days ago

What chip holds the system clock?

Restoring Pinbot and having weird symptoms I am hoping you can diagnose. There is some faulty logic going on somewhere in the boards I think. Machine boots up fine, press start, game does welcoming sounds and ramp, 3 bank reset, but ball does not show in in shooter for a long time (30 seconds - 2 minutes). If I drop a ball in the machine manually during that time, I can score points but the ball cannot end, and the extra ball hole won't pop the ball back out. After a 30 seconds to 2 minutes, the ball will pop into the shooter land and I can play normally. You'd think it was the roms, but I have 2 sets of U26 and U27 (I have a donor machine) and they have the exact same symptoms. I am on a Rottendog replacement board. I am guessing that one of the chips is faulty, but don't know which one. If I had to guess, I'd say there was something wrong with the system clock. The first ball will take anywhere from 30 seconds to 3 minutes to go into the shooter, and then the next two take exactly 28 seconds... is there an adjustment somewhere I'm missing? I've done factory resets. Thanks!

#3652 10 days ago
Quoted from sataneatscheese:

is there an adjustment somewhere I'm missing?

Check the ball switches for both balls.

#3653 10 days ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Check the ball switches for both balls.

Both work in the test menu.

#3654 10 days ago

Both work in the test menu.

Place in switch test, then remove the balls. Does any switches show up on the display?

#3655 10 days ago

Editted.. Didnt read the full original..

#3656 10 days ago

Are you saying you are running a Rottendog replacement system 11 board and having problems with that? I thought those weren't recommended for Pinbot. Or, do you have a real Williams board and an aftermarket power board?

If you are having problems with a Rottendog MPU then best to contact them.

Restoring Pinbot and having weird symptoms I am hoping you can diagnose. There is some faulty logic going on somewhere in the boards I think. Machine boots up fine, press start, game does welcoming sounds and ramp, 3 bank reset, but ball does not show in in shooter for a long time (30 seconds - 2 minutes). If I drop a ball in the machine manually during that time, I can score points but the ball cannot end, and the extra ball hole won't pop the ball back out. After a 30 seconds to 2 minutes, the ball will pop into the shooter land and I can play normally. You'd think it was the roms, but I have 2 sets of U26 and U27 (I have a donor machine) and they have the exact same symptoms. I am on a Rottendog replacement board. I am guessing that one of the chips is faulty, but don't know which one. If I had to guess, I'd say there was something wrong with the system clock. The first ball will take anywhere from 30 seconds to 3 minutes to go into the shooter, and then the next two take exactly 28 seconds... is there an adjustment somewhere I'm missing? I've done factory resets. Thanks!

#3657 9 days ago

Well,

This guy looks to have had the exact same problem I did. I wish he explains what he did to fix it a little more.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbot-help-outhole-and-knocker?hl=vesly

After looking at his post, my knocker is disconnected too. I am going to trace both back when they get home and see if I can identify the problem. I may also try running a new wire from the CPU board to the outlane kicker and see if that does anything.

Racking my brain on this.

I am also trying to figure out if these could be related to the "Note" below. Knocker and Outlane kicker seem to share a lot of wiring according to this table.

If I can't fix it my 2 pinbots may be going back on the marketplace.

O well.

Solenoid Note (resized).pngSolenoid Table (resized).png
#3658 9 days ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Are you saying you are running a Rottendog replacement system 11 board and having problems with that? I thought those weren't recommended for Pinbot. Or, do you have a real Williams board and an aftermarket power board?
If you are having problems with a Rottendog MPU then best to contact them.

Why are rottendog boards not suggested for Pinbot? I’m just curious. Is that the old 11 or the new 9-11 or is it just for both? I know there are sound issues with some of the boards but I had not heard they didn’t work with a specific game

#3659 9 days ago
Quoted from jmountjoy111:

Why are rottendog boards not suggested for Pinbot? I’m just curious. Is that the old 11 or the new 9-11 or is it just for both? I know there are sound issues with some of the boards but I had not heard they didn’t work with a specific game

There were sound issues that I heard about and there may have been other issues as well. At one point when I was looking for a replacement I looked at them and was told they didn't recommend it for Pinbot. That was a couple years ago so perhaps they have changed their stance on that.

Luckily I was able to find an original board for mine without battery damage that I was able to rebuild. If original boards are available I'd prefer to rebuild those vs installing any after market board unless I can't avoid it.

#3660 9 days ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

There were sound issues that I heard about and there may have been other issues as well. At one point when I was looking for a replacement I looked at them and was told they didn't recommend it for Pinbot. That was a couple years ago so perhaps they have changed their stance on that.
Luckily I was able to find an original board for mine without battery damage that I was able to rebuild. If original boards are available I'd prefer to rebuild those vs installing any after market board unless I can't avoid it.

I see what you’re saying. Replacement boards aren’t always the best choice. I haven’t heard them say that the new 9-11 board was not suitable for Pinbot. I hadn’t heard that about the older version either. I was well aware of the sound issues though. Of course an original board is always preferred. A ton of those 11 boards are completely destroyed. I have had a few that the battery damage had covered close to half the board

#3661 9 days ago

Send cpu out for repair. Coin op cauldron.

#3662 9 days ago

Ugh, we desperately need some more folks that can do work at Clive's level. He's fantastic, does great work and is absolutely my go to guy, but as more and more boards are going belly up his turnaround time is getting longer and longer. No slam at all on Clive, he's just doing what it humanly possible, but there's definitely room for someone else in this field who can do board work as thoroughly and reliably as he does.

#3663 9 days ago

My biggest advise to newly infected pinball zombies from space... now there's a title for ya, is to learn to do your own board repair, basic soldering, replacing transistors, resistors, diodes, IC’s and capacitors, learn how to use a meter to check for shorts and grounds and diodes, how to use heat shrink the right way (put it on BEFORE you solder...), how to troubleshoot a simple electronic circuit using half splitting and simple continuity checks, how to read a schematic, how to manufacture simple brackets and mounts, how to re-rubber , relamp, and wax a playfield, how to rebuild flipper mechs, how to read resistor markings, how to troubleshoot lamp and switch matrices. How to sand, buff, polish, flame polish, chem polish, sand blast, wire wheel, grind, hammer, screw, unscrew, bend, twist, cuss, and spit. That and how to tear a machine down, move it, and set it up again, level it and make sure it is working, use the service menu, make adjustments to game parameters, clear audits, factory reset, change the custom message, set it on free play, how and when to change batteries, how to open the lock bar, how to turn a machine on and off (Gottlieb tap anyone?), how to raise the playfield (please pull the shooter back), how to remove the backglass (where the fuck are the backbox keys? Bueller?), how to clean and clear coin mechs, what that handy tray full of dead rubber, burnt out lamps, and fried coils really is (the coin box you dolt!), how to remove a top hat insert, re-level it, and redecal it, how to remove mylar glue quickly and safely, how to touch up your fuckups from slipped screwdrivers and dropped tools on the playfield. Did I miss any? Edit- yes I forgot applying decals to cabinets/backbox and sourcing replacement parts, and how to adjust all switches- EOS, jets, slings, flippers, rollovers, drop targets, standups, limit, and spinners.

#3664 9 days ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

My biggest advise to newly infected pinball zombies from space... now there's a title for ya, is to learn to do your own board repair, basic soldering, replacing transistors, resistors, diodes, IC’s and capacitors, learn how to use a meter to check for shorts and grounds and diodes, how to use heat shrink the right way (put it on BEFORE you solder...), how to troubleshoot a simple electronic circuit using half splitting and simple continuity checks, how to read a schematic, how to manufacture simple brackets and mounts, how to re-rubber , relamp, and wax a playfield, how to rebuild flipper mechs, how to read resistor markings, how to troubleshoot lamp and switch matrices. How to sand, buff, polish, flame polish, chem polish, sand blast, wire wheel, grind, hammer, screw, unscrew, bend, twist, cuss, and spit. That and how to tear a machine down, move it, and set it up again, level it and make sure it is working, use the service menu, make adjustments to game parameters, clear audits, factory reset, change the custom message, set it on free play, how and when to change batteries, how to open the lock bar, how to turn a machine on and off (Gottlieb tap anyone?), how to raise the playfield (please pull the shooter back), how to remove the backglass (where the fuck are the backbox keys? Bueller?), how to clean and clear coin mechs, what that handy tray full of dead rubber, burnt out lamps, and fried coils really is (the coin box you dolt!), how to remove a top hat insert, re-level it, and redecal it, how to remove mylar glue quickly and safely, how to touch up your fuckups from slipped screwdrivers and dropped tools on the playfield. Did I miss any? Edit- yes I forgot applying decals to cabinets/backbox and sourcing replacement parts, and how to adjust all switches- EOS, jets, slings, flippers, rollovers, drop targets, standups, limit, and spinners.

You are so right. I always try to fix my own boards. I actually enjoy the work and have repaired a ton of them (most with the help of several here on pinside). There is always someone who enters a repair/tech thread I start and suggests sending the board off for repair. I always appreciate the insight from anyone but honestly if I wanted to send it off I’d have done so already and wouldn’t have a tech thread going. On top of the enjoyment of working on the board and the personal satisfaction I gain from the accomplishment of fixing it, I learn something new with each repair thread. Maybe it’s just me. As for the rest of the post, I tear machines to nothing and go through every part on them. I am on ultrasonic cleaner number 3 at the moment. I may have more fun refurbishing a Machine than playing it at this point in the hobby. Seeing it play as it did when new is a treat for me. All the things you mentioned that need to be learned I also consider essential

#3665 8 days ago

sataneatscheese Did you try the original sys11 board that you have from the parts pinbot, in your not for parts pinbot ? Saw your 2 for 1 pinbot sale add today..

#3666 8 days ago
Quoted from sethbenjamin:

Ugh, we desperately need some more folks that can do work at Clive's level. He's fantastic, does great work and is absolutely my go to guy, but as more and more boards are going belly up his turnaround time is getting longer and longer. No slam at all on Clive, he's just doing what it humanly possible, but there's definitely room for someone else in this field who can do board work as thoroughly and reliably as he does.

I do repairs on many of the Pinball boards but limit them to machines that I own or ones close enough that I can run the boards if needed. Also try to keep parts on hand for them. Not fond of dealing with battery damage but just about anything else is ok. Lately a lot of projects were fixing prior repair work where people ripped out through hole plating, pads, and often traces. Lot of system 6 boards, system 11 like Pinbot, WPC CPU, sound boards, some system 80 like Haunted House, and early Bally/Stern including some of the Bally home games.

#3667 8 days ago
Quoted from Zukram:

sataneatscheese Did you try the original sys11 board that you have from the parts pinbot, in your not for parts pinbot ? Saw your 2 for 1 pinbot sale add today..

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/79516

I did not. If you look at the board you can see there were a few chips damaged by battery leakage. It may still be repairable with a few dollars in parts and some soldering skills, but that's currently beyond me.

board (resized).jpg
#3668 8 days ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/79516
I did not. If you look at the board you can see there were a few chips damaged by battery leakage. It may still be repairable with a few dollars in parts and some soldering skills, but that's currently beyond me.
[quoted image]

Hrmm, I guess I did not see damage from the battery (and not entirely sure what to look for, other than areas where the traces appear corroded).. I see the components src1,2,3,4,5 are missing, would guess need those. And the chip just below the batteries is already socketed, and some of the others as well.. Can you take a pic of the back of the board ? I saw mention when I was looking into mine, that the battery damage could be worse on the back if it happened on these boards..

I had alot of fun actually debugging mine recently and replacing a couple faulty things.. But there got to re-kindle old EE/lab skills, and had the basic tools on hand to do so..

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Crofton, MD
$ 399.95
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
$ 45.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 14.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Rapid City, SD
$ 45.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 50.00
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Merrick, NY
1,650 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Egg Harbor Township, NJ
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 3668 posts in this topic. You are on page 74 of 74.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside