IMG_5902 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7922 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7923 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7921 (resized).jpeg
541EBD6A-2CA4-43E0-AB4B-B18C7FF31AF0 (resized).jpeg
Pinside_forum_7003307_0 (resized).jpg
IMG_1351 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1103 (resized).jpeg

There are 6,055 posts in this topic. You are on page 56 of 122.
#2751 5 years ago

You will get there with rolling the score, I have done it about 3 times but it remains rare enough to be cool still.

I love the "You rule the universe" call out for all the planets, I have only done that a few times also.

For me this is part of what makes Pin-Bot great, plenty of challenges that are actually achievable but not easy.

#2752 5 years ago
Quoted from Rat:

I finally got round to installing my Britecaps today, happy with the result, the bulbs in the pops were very dim before. I have set these at about half maximum brightness and they are still perhaps a little too bright, but whatever I'm enjoying them They light underneath the bumper also which is great for this dark area of Pin-Bot.
I have them set so that the middle flashes when they are activated which is a subtle but cool feature.
I was ready to change out the lamp holders to #555s but it seems old mate I bought if off already did that so they were plug and play, cheers, welcome surprise.
They raise the caps a bit so I had to stick small washers under the upper playfield hold down screws.
My pics don't do them justice they look better in the flesh, motivated my gameplay, first ball I got what must be a record for me 9 Solar Value shots
Next up will be the Pinduino ramp chaser leds that a mate is helping me build from the kit. [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Nice work!

#2753 5 years ago

Has anyone out there heard of this one? I've had an issue with my Pinbot from the day I've owned it where every now and then the pop bumpers going off will activate the clear lift ramp to raise for no reason. Usually when this happens hitting any other switch in the game will activate the ramp again lowering it back down. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure this isn't part of the game's rules, any idea how to fix it?

Quoted from mrWol64:

I can’t claim 9 solar values ,.. BUT, recently and finally, I managed to get a solar value and all planets and the special on ball #1,.. I am still making my way after 2 years of battling those drains, with my mediocre pinball skills. Unhappily I am still yet to roll the score over 9,999,999 ,.. been close

Last night I finally managed to reach the sun and hit the special. I'd never done it before, what an awesome feeling! Rolling over the score seems like a distant dream lol. My top score is 5.6 mil.

#2754 5 years ago
Quoted from chaosrooster:

Has anyone out there heard of this one? I've had an issue with my Pinbot from the day I've owned it where every now and then the pop bumpers going off will activate the clear lift ramp to raise for no reason. Usually when this happens hitting any other switch in the game will activate the ramp again lowering it back down. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure this isn't part of the game's rules, any idea how to fix it?

Sounds like there may be a loose switch somewhere, where vibration from the pops is enough to trigger a switch. I think the ramp is raised by hitting a lit drop target? I would look there.

#2755 5 years ago

Yeah, but if it was vibration triggering the lit target to raise the ramp, any other switch wouldn't bring it back down under normal game operation... Unless the target in the back is also triggering, but I think he'd notice that energy transfer is randomly getting scored.

Anytime I think of fluky function and system 11 I think bad or shorted diode somewhere along the line - but it could be vibration from the pops too.

#2756 5 years ago
Quoted from chaosrooster:

Last night I finally managed to reach the sun and hit the special. I'd never done it before, what an awesome feeling! Rolling over the score seems like a distant dream lol. My top score is 5.6 mil.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbot-ramp-up-firing-constantly-at-game-start/page/2#post-4420612

See if this helps. Shorted or bad wiring issue on the same column

#2757 5 years ago

Spent awhile searching for pinbot quotes on the interwebs. Finally found them. Thought i would post here for posterity:

"Pinbot circuits activated" - Start button

"I am in your control" - Complete grid (open visor)

"Partial link-up" - lock one ball

"Now I see you" - lock two balls, start multiball

"Shoot for solar value" - relock ball in multiball

"Energy transferred" - collect energy value under ramp

"Tilt - all data lost" - tilt

"We control the universe"- light all the planets to the sun.

"Million activated" - When you make it to the 10th vortex shot on the same ball. The 100,000 skill shot is worth x10.

"I see you" - Shortly after a game is finished.

#2758 5 years ago

Everytime people who are unfamiliar with pinball come over to play my machines, they're unsure of how to start the game. I want to light the start button with a blinking light tied to the "game over" light. Not sure how to do this... is it as easy as wiring a new socket to the game over light in the back box?

Also want to make a custom sticker that encircles the start button that says "activate circuits".

Additionally, want to design a custom coin door sticker with the willams logo saying "Williams - We control the Universe" with the rainbow chest background.

#2759 5 years ago

Thanks for the help everyone. To clarify, the energy value is not being scored, its just the lift ramp that is behaving badly. I inspected and cleaned the energy target switch for good measure but found nothing suspicious. I also checked for loose connections on the ramp and pops but didn't see anything.

Some more info: the left pop bumper will sometimes stop working and won't react to the ball. I rebuilt the pops a while back but it didn't fix it. The left bumper is in the same switch column as ramp down. I don't see ramp up anywhere on the matrix so I'm assuming it's the same as ramp down? Also, I removed the mini pf today so I could drop a ball into the pops while in game. The lift ramp will still raise up even if the left bumper temporarily stops working.

One more thing, when I power the machine on, the lift ramp will raise up (if it wasn't up already)and stays open. The visor will also open and close. This is normal behavior correct? I've always assumed it was just wanted to confirm.

#2760 5 years ago

Visor open and close is normal. Ramp doesn't do anything on mine until in game.

#2761 5 years ago

Ok thanks I'll go through the switch column and check for a short.

#2762 5 years ago

Again, sounds like wrong wiring or short on this column. Especially if you rebuilt the pops. Follow the circuit carefully and verify how each switch is wired.

Does all the switches on this column works in test mode? When the left pop switch do not work, what is the position of the lift ramp or visor?

This might help you track it down.

#2763 5 years ago
Quoted from chaskett:

Everytime people who are unfamiliar with pinball come over to play my machines, they're unsure of how to start the game. I want to light the start button with a blinking light tied to the "game over" light. Not sure how to do this... is it as easy as wiring a new socket to the game over light in the back box?
Also want to make a custom sticker that encircles the start button that says "activate circuits".
Additionally, want to design a custom coin door sticker with the willams logo saying "Williams - We control the Universe" with the rainbow chest background.

You can get specific light up buttons, there are a few machines on pinside with the mod. I think you have to drill out the hole for the button though.

I can't think of an issue you would have tying it into the circuit for the game over light.

#2764 5 years ago

Could also install a blinking LED. Comet has several, I believe.

#2765 5 years ago

In many cases the start button is the same component as the "guts" of a regular arcade button (provided you use the short ones) - you could try getting a translucent one and pop the e-clip off to take it out of its housing, then substitute it for your start button, and throw a lamp socket next to it. Memory's a bit fuzzy on that but I'm reasonably sure I'm remembering it correctly that the parts will swap.

Richard

#2766 5 years ago

I guess a pinball noob is still going to ask you which button to press and not even notice the flashing start button.

I suggest you do it the easy way and just give new guests a quick tutorial. They will always have questions and that is good, showing them the start button takes one second.

Teaching a noob to navigate the menus on my mame cabs takes longer especially when they crash it back to Windows

#2768 5 years ago
Quoted from Rat:

I guess a pinball noob is still going to ask you which button to press and not even notice the flashing start button.

This. Flashing start button will not solve the root cause.

I have lost count of the number of times I've seen grown adults put money in one of my pinball machines and just sit there expecting it to start. This on machines with a big flashing light on the start button and a massive animation on the DMD with a finger pushing a button saying "PUSH START." A good number of them will give up and complain that the machine 'ate' their money, never looking on the front of the machine. Newer machines allow them to start by pressing the flipper buttons for this very reason.

#2769 5 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

This. Flashing start button will not solve the root cause.
I have lost count of the number of times I've seen grown adults put money in one of my pinball machines and just sit there expecting it to start. This on machines with a big flashing light on the start button and a massive animation on the DMD with a finger pushing a button saying "PUSH START." A good number of them will give up and complain that the machine 'ate' their money, never looking on the front of the machine. Newer machines allow them to start by pressing the flipper buttons for this very reason.

I second that! I see this all of the time.

#2770 5 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

I second that! I see this all of the time.

I teach all my "kids" not only how to start a game, but how to play with their friends on multiplayer. And when I show them how to turn the machine on or off, they always say, "all pinball machines have the on/off switch there?" Yup. All of them is what I say. It's like a big secret that they are now privy to.

I love passing on the wisdom and joy! And there is nothing like the joy when they get to put initials up for a high score!

///Rich

#2771 5 years ago
Quoted from RichWolfson:

I teach all my "kids" not only how to start a game

Now try to teach them how to start only ONE game. That's a whole another ball game, at least for me!

#2772 5 years ago
Quoted from RichWolfson:

I teach all my "kids" not only how to start a game, but how to play with their friends on multiplayer. And when I show them how to turn the machine on or off, they always say, "all pinball machines have the on/off switch there?" Yup. All of them is what I say. It's like a big secret that they are now privy to.
I love passing on the wisdom and joy! And there is nothing like the joy when they get to put initials up for a high score!
///Rich

Try remembering that ghostbusters and the other new sterns have the switch on the head, it will blow their minds

#2773 5 years ago
Quoted from Tomass:

Well I made the 12 hr journey to pick up my $300 Pinbot project and join the club. The good:
Playfield looks great with mylar that looks to be factory.
Backglass looks excellent
Appears complete and I have not spotted any broken or missing plastics.
Original topper (not in pic to fit in my jeep).
The Bad:
Battery damage to the board as suspected.
No coin door as an op removed when it was purchased about 30 yrs ago.
Cracked piece on the spiral ramp.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

its a translight, not a backglass, it should be in excellent condition. Nice score.

#2774 5 years ago

I've never seen a pinbot with a translight....mine has a backglass that is original to my best knowledge

#2775 5 years ago
Quoted from Muskie82:

I've never seen a pinbot with a translight....mine has a backglass that is original to my best knowledge

I think the original was translight then later they made glass that a lot of people purchased to replace it. I don’t know for sure, but when I researched this it seemed to indicate that factory was always translight.

#2776 5 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

factory was always translight

Yes. It's a really well done translite that looks like a screened backglass, but it's a translite.
If you have a silkscreened backglass, someone changed that out.

#2777 5 years ago
Quoted from Muskie82:

I'd have to see that, the only original backglasses that were made were Spanish and not from Williams. I'd put a dollar on you have a translight and dont even know it.

#2778 5 years ago
Quoted from Muskie82:

You'll have to get a razor blade and check an edge. When I first brought home my Taxi I could have swore it was a printed glass...it turned out that the translight plastic was super-stuck to the glass. It'll fake you out.

#2779 5 years ago

CPR created and sold actual Pinbot backglasses from the translite artwork about a year ago, adding mirrored highlights. I would think that if this was in the game though, it wouldn't have run only $300, since the backglass alone cost almost that much.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-pinbot-translite-to-backglass-product-cpr

#2780 5 years ago

They are still available as a mirrored backglass - $240 (plus shipping) which gets you just under $300

https://classicplayfields.com/shop/pinball-backglasses/pinbot/

Agreed - if anyone knew/cared enough to order this backglass for this price - no way they are selling the whole machine for the same.

#2781 5 years ago

I have the CPR mirrored backglass and I think it is far superior to the translite.

#2782 5 years ago
Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

I have the CPR mirrored backglass and I think it is far superior to the translite.

Absolutely. The CPR mirrored version for Taxi also featured an actual mirrored rear view mirror.

TAXI_Backglass_ (resized).pngTAXI_Backglass_ (resized).png
#2783 5 years ago
Quoted from Marvin:

its a translight, not a backglass, it should be in excellent condition. Nice score.

Yes, I posted before I actaully looked hard at it. Realised but figured, oh well.

#2784 5 years ago

Pinbot Ramp Update....Yes, I'm still working!... Damn elves spent too much time on the beach. So, as I mentioned earlier, since so much work having went into the first run of the two color main ramps (seconds), I did not want to just toss them but offer them at a discounted price of $95. I have about a dozen of those as well as a couple all blue "seconds" completely finished. If that is all you are interested in, you can contact me now to purchase. If you get one of the seconds and decide you do not want it because of the flaws, you can return it for credit (less my initial shipping cost) against the new ones. Also note that if you wish, I will rivet your two switch plates to the new main ramp for free if you send them to me.

I have about a dozen of the new Blue/Red (not seconds!) that I just need to machine finish...that will probably take about one day. So basically those are now available as well for $130. I will produce more of these and all blues on demand after this initial run until I get everyone covered.
The lift ramps are already done and available.

The Visor...I of course used a thicker plastic for these, but realized there is a very tight clearance on the inside of the visor as it sits over the plastic below it. My first run did not have enough clearance, so I modified my mold and just successful produced a perfect prototype. I will begin forming the new ones today and immediately begin dying them.

At the moment, I have not made any of the main ramps for Jack*Bot. If any are interested, contact me. I will make those on demand.

#2785 5 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Pinbot Ramp Update....Yes, I'm still working!... Damn elves spent too much time on the beach. So, as I mentioned earlier, since so much work having went into the first run of the two color main ramps (seconds), I did not want to just toss them but offer them at a discounted price of $95. I have about a dozen of those as well as a couple all blue "seconds" completely finished. If that is all you are interested in, you can contact me now to purchase. If you get one of the seconds and decide you do not want it because of the flaws, you can return it for credit (less my initial shipping cost) against the new ones. Also note that if you wish, I will rivet your two switch plates to the new main ramp for free if you send them to me.
I have about a dozen of the new Blue/Red (not seconds!) that I just need to machine finish...that will probably take about one day. So basically those are now available as well for $130. I will produce more of these and all blues on demand after this initial run until I get everyone covered.
The lift ramps are already done and available.
The Visor...I of course used a thicker plastic for these, but realized there is a very tight clearance on the inside of the visor as it sits over the plastic below it. My first run did not have enough clearance, so I modified my mold and just successful produced a perfect prototype. I will begin forming the new ones today and immediately begin dying them.
At the moment, I have not made any of the main ramps for Jack*Bot. If any are interested, contact me. I will make those on demand.

What are thinking about dying the visors at this point? Sticking with the smoke color or adding variants?

#2786 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinballerchef:

What are thinking about dying the visors at this point? Sticking with the smoke color or adding variants?

Planning on a similar smoked look but it will be different. As soon as I get one dyed I'll post a comparison. Not sure any other color would look good.

#2787 5 years ago

Hi all! does anyone know where I can get a set of the red plastics that go under Pinbots eyes? Not sure what they're called.

IMG_8243 (resized).JPGIMG_8243 (resized).JPGIMG_8245 (resized).JPGIMG_8245 (resized).JPG
#2789 5 years ago

Marco's is another source- I used purple in my machine. You know - something different

1 (resized).JPG1 (resized).JPG2 (resized).JPG2 (resized).JPG
#2790 5 years ago

And since variety is the spice of life, Pinballlife has them too:
https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=4693

#2791 5 years ago

Sweet! Thanks for the help! I was having a hard time finding them.

#2792 5 years ago
Quoted from PM_Jeremy:

Marco's is another source- I used purple in my machine. You know - something different
[quoted image][quoted image]

DAMMIT! They didn't have those when I shopped out my 'Bot! Now my life is RUINED!

#2793 5 years ago

Anyone have a source for 24v bayonet LEDs to replace the 1251 incandescents at the eyes?

#2794 5 years ago

I get my 1251s from Cointaker

#2795 5 years ago
Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

I get my 1251s from Cointaker

ChrisPINk25 can these replace 1251s without messing with the circuitry?

#2796 5 years ago

Yes! They are a little more than the normal bulb, but I like the ease of install.

#2797 5 years ago
Quoted from chaskett:

Anyone have a source for 24v bayonet LEDs to replace the 1251 incandescents at the eyes?

I bought a slew of these (the 13 LED version) and they work great:

ebay.com link: Car Lamp BA15S 1156 13 18 24 30 5050 SMD LED Light Bulb DC12V AC DC 12 24V D

#2798 5 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

I bought a slew of these (the 13 LED version) and they work great:
ebay.com link » Car Lamp Ba15s 1156 13 18 24 30 5050 Smd Led Light Bulb Dc12v Ac Dc 12 24v D

Damn. Just put in my order at cointaker which is selling them for 2x the amount.

#2799 5 years ago

I also bought some of those eBay 13 led. Maybe just poor quality because they wouldn't work in my pinbot, but cointakers work great.

#2800 5 years ago
Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

Maybe just poor quality because they wouldn't work in my pinbot

The wires on the bulb socket maybe reversed.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
There are 6,055 posts in this topic. You are on page 56 of 122.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbot-fans-and-owners-club/page/56?hl=impzilla and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.