20240112_135811 (resized).jpg
IMG_5901 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5902 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7922 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7923 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7921 (resized).jpeg
541EBD6A-2CA4-43E0-AB4B-B18C7FF31AF0 (resized).jpeg
Pinside_forum_7003307_0 (resized).jpg
There are 6,058 posts in this topic. You are on page 117 of 122.
#5801 12 months ago

I ordered the wireform referenced and it is curved. It looks straight in the pics linked above.

16828696440185424677188301291956 (resized).jpg16828696440185424677188301291956 (resized).jpg
#5802 12 months ago
Quoted from floyd1977:

I ordered the wireform referenced and it is curved. It looks straight in the pics linked above.

Humm...I'm hoping you post some follow-up to fitting the wire form successfully. I'm wondering which way the curve should face? One photo of the Jack*Bot wire form shows it to be straight.

JackBot wire form (resized).jpgJackBot wire form (resized).jpg
#5803 12 months ago
Quoted from floyd1977:

[quoted image]

It's quite possible that Marco just sent you the wrong wireform. Call and ask them to check the rest of the pieces in their stock, and be prepared to email a photo of the incorrect part when they ask for it (the photo of the correct part in the above post wouldn't hurt either). I've gotten one wrong item in each of my last few Marco orders, but customer service always takes care of it.

Hey wait a sec -- I thought that photo looked familiar -- that's my Jackbot!

#5804 12 months ago
Quoted from floyd1977:

[quoted image]

Bent in shipping possibly?

#5805 12 months ago
Quoted from ROMM:

Bent in shipping possibly?

I don't think so. It's pretty smooth. Also, it was in a small box that had no damage at all.

I'll contact Marco.

#5807 12 months ago
Quoted from ManyQuarters:

Humm...I'm hoping you post some follow-up to fitting the wire form successfully. I'm wondering which way the curve should face? One photo of the Jack*Bot wire form shows it to be straight.[quoted image]

My guess is it would bend around the posts/rubber with the outside of the bend closest to the right rail, but I'm a bit hesitant to drill holes in the playfield since these teardown pics show a straight rail!

#5808 11 months ago
Quoted from floyd1977:

I noticed the same thing, I ordered two just to have an extra. I have not installed yet as I was not sure it was correct.

#5809 11 months ago

It would be nice to have a template for the holes. Are there any measurements to locate the holes? Or do you just eyeball it and hope it's right?

#5810 11 months ago
Quoted from Wizbangdoodle:

It would be nice to have a template for the holes. Are there any measurements to locate the holes? Or do you just eyeball it and hope it's right?

Would definitely want to have the Vortex ramp in place, along with the 3 posts and rubber in order to mark the upper hole. Get the top of the guide rail in place at the edge of the Vortex base so that the ball can't hit it. Then maybe rotate the bottom leg as needed to find the best angle for a smooth guide path for the ball? I would imagine every machine would be a little different. That's why the skill shot is so inconsistent across different machines in the first place.

#5811 11 months ago
Quoted from ROMM:

Would definitely want to have the Vortex ramp in place, along with the 3 posts and rubber in order to mark the upper hole. Get the top of the guide rail in place at the edge of the Vortex base so that the ball can't hit it. Then maybe rotate the bottom leg as needed to find the best angle for a smooth guide path for the ball? I would imagine every machine would be a little different. That's why the skill shot is so inconsistent across different machines in the first place.

I would agree. The only thing you'd want the ball to contact would be the apex of the guide, I'm guessing. I just don't want to make it worse than it is.

#5812 11 months ago

Ok...I took the plunge and made a wireform using 0.08 inch diameter wire from the wire bending kit I had previously bought at Marco : https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/12-WS-KIT

After researching and endlessly adjusting the Pin*Bot skill shot mechanics and noting that every single game is slightly different, I feel there was nothing to lose, so I went ahead:

- The wire I made is 3 7/8 inches long from inside bend to bend and I gave it a slight curve that seems the same as above references. (4 and 3/4's inches seemed way too long for my game, if measuring inside bend to bend.)

- I pulled a few wireforms from my other games and they are all 1 inch long after the bend (half inch in playfield and half inch above playfield, slightly above any rubber.)

- Everything was moved but left the vortex installed and drilled the first hole nearest the bumper carefully drilling a 1/16 inch hole as shown in the Jack*Bot photo.

- The final hole was drilled as close to the vortex as possible and the wireform was gingerly pressed in so as to be adjacent to the rubber but slightly above it, with the outer bend to the right rail side.

Results are pending but after five games it seems things have improved. There is now zero chance of the ball hitting the rubber located above the upper bumper and I'm getting nearly every skill shot into the vortex, where as before it was like 60 % or so.

DSCF8511 (resized).JPGDSCF8511 (resized).JPG
#5813 11 months ago

Ok...I took the plunge and made a wireform using 0.08 inch diameter wire from the wire bending kit I had previously bought at Marco : https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/12-WS-KIT
After researching and endlessly adjusting the Pin*Bot skill shot mechanics and noting that every single game is slightly different, I feel there was nothing to lose, so I went ahead:
- The wire I made is 3 7/8 inches long from inside bend to bend and I gave it a slight curve that seems the same as above references. (4 and 3/4's inches seemed way too long for my game, if measuring inside bend to bend.)
- I pulled a few wireforms from my other games and they are all 1 inch long after the bend (half inch in playfield and half inch above playfield, slightly above any rubber.)
- Everything was moved but left the vortex installed and drilled the first hole nearest the bumper carefully drilling a 1/16 inch hole as shown in the Jack*Bot photo.
- The final hole was drilled as close to the vortex as possible and the wireform was gingerly pressed in so as to be adjacent to the rubber but slightly above it, with the outer bend to the right rail side.
Results are pending but after five games it seems things have improved. There is now zero chance of the ball hitting the rubber located above the upper bumper and I'm getting nearly every skill shot into the vortex, where as before it was like 60 % or so.[quoted image]

Hey that looks great! Looks factory and not like a hack. Good job and thanks for posting the how-to and pic!

#5814 11 months ago

Pinbot issue.

MPU is good. Xpin power supply.

Issues are: no flashers and no visor motor movement. Ohms check at motor is 47, so motor good. Changed out snubber with aftermarket…still no change. I’ve hit a wall…any help appreciated. I know C side is the flashers but I’m not getting any C side functions. The visor motor is a special solenoid, ran off snubber. Snubber isn’t switching over so I’m stuck…

I’ve hit a wall……help?!?

#5815 11 months ago

Looking for help as well, my GI right side (red) does not come on, but comes on in certain time in attract mode (but seems more dim). Also weirdly the flippers actuate too (when buttons are pressed) in certain times in attract mode. Note I am running PEMBOT ROM.

I also have new power supply previous owner installed.

I've started to take a look at fuses...but:

Is there a particular fuse that I should test? when I test fuses, the ohms seems to fluctuate should I be getting stable readings?
what other trouble shooting steps should I use for this issue?

FYI: I've had some fairly infrequent issues where the game needs to be reset as well, and it actually lost high scores stored, and I do get flickering to 28 v LED flashers when I press the right flipper.
I did change the diode on the flipper a while back, but just yesterday realized that there are two diodes, one on the switches and contacts and one off the coil it self (where as I did only the switch one), so I'll likely do the coil ones too now.
SO there may be something inherently wrong that may have caused the GI to get like this?

Thanks in advance

#5816 11 months ago
Quoted from metalkatt:

I know C side is the flashers but I’m not getting any C side functions. The visor motor is a special solenoid, ran off snubber. Snubber isn’t switching over so I’m stuck…

The visor is not a special solenoid. It is a controlled solenoid. If all of this happened at the same time then I would check all of the 24 volt fuses and test there outputs from the power supply.

rrr (resized).PNGrrr (resized).PNG
#5817 11 months ago
Quoted from Cariba:

Looking for help as well, my GI right side (red) does not come on, but comes on in certain time in attract mode (but seems more dim).

Find the GI relay under the play field and check the connector for overheating. Turn the relay board over and look for cracked solder joints.

Quoted from Cariba:

Also weirdly the flippers actuate too (when buttons are pressed) in certain times in attract mode. Note I am running PEMBOT ROM.

If the flippers work all the time in attract mode you have a cpu issue, if they work randomly this maybe a PEMBOT issue.

Quoted from Cariba:

Is there a particular fuse that I should test? when I test fuses, the ohms seems to fluctuate should I be getting stable readings?

No, not for this issue. But when you do test fuses they must be removed from circuit and there should not be any fluctuations. ZERO OMHS!

Quoted from Cariba:

I do get flickering to 28 v LED flashers when I press the right flipper.
I did change the diode on the flipper a while back, but just yesterday realized that there are two diodes, one on the switches and contacts and one off the coil it self (where as I did only the switch one), so I'll likely do the coil ones too now.

You replaced the wrong diode, it's the diode on the coil that might be the issue.

Quoted from Cariba:

FYI: I've had some fairly infrequent issues where the game needs to be reset as well, and it actually lost high scores stored

This is normally a low 5 volt signal on the CPU board. You should measure the voltage on the CPU board test points while someone else is playing a multiball, you should read 4.86 volts DC or higher.

#5818 11 months ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Find the GI relay under the play field and check the connector for overheating. Turn the relay board over and look for cracked solder joints.

If the flippers work all the time in attract mode you have a cpu issue, if they work randomly this maybe a PEMBOT issue.

No, not for this issue. But when you do test fuses they must be removed from circuit and there should not be any fluctuations. ZERO OMHS!

You replaced the wrong diode, it's the diode on the coil that might be the issue.

This is normally a low 5 volt signal on the CPU board. You should measure the voltage on the CPU board test points while someone else is playing a multiball, you should read 4.86 volts DC or higher.

Thank you very much for this...

quick question, the diode off the flipper coil has thin gauge coil winding wiring connected to/soldered to the contacts with the wires etc too - do you know if this small gauge coil wiring can take the heating etc to remove the diode, as the diode terminals seemed wrapped around the points and soldered well - may need some serious work to de-solder and remove diode - I am almost tempted to just cut the diode off (leave terminal ends soldered on) and solder new one on (instead of trying to remove the whole diode as risk damaging these coil wires.

#5819 11 months ago
Quoted from Cariba:

Thank you very much for this...
quick question, the diode off the flipper coil has thin gauge coil winding wiring connected to/soldered to the contacts with the wires etc too - do you know if this small gauge coil wiring can take the heating etc to remove the diode, as the diode terminals seemed wrapped around the points and soldered well - may need some serious work to de-solder and remove diode - I am almost tempted to just cut the diode off (leave terminal ends soldered on) and solder new one on (instead of trying to remove the whole diode as risk damaging these coil wires.

You just cut off the old diode, don't try to unsolder it. Hold the new one in place with a dot of hot glue so that the leads are parallel to the old leads. Solder the new lead to the old lead on each side. Drink a beer! Done.

#5820 11 months ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

You just cut off the old diode, don't try to unsolder it. Hold the new one in place with a dot of hot glue so that the leads are parallel to the old leads. Solder the new lead to the old lead on each side. Drink a beer! Done.

Yes ok that's what I thought, thanks again.

I'll take a look at the relay for the GI issue as you suggested and report back.

cheers.

#5821 11 months ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

IF there is a low voltage value/issue on the CPU board - what is the cause and fix?

#5822 11 months ago
Quoted from Cariba:

IF there is a low voltage value/issue on the CPU board - what is the cause and fix?

90% bad power supply, 5% cracked header pins/bad connector 1J-17, 5% bad chip on the CPU drawing too much power.

#5823 11 months ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

90% bad power supply, 5% cracked header pins/bad connector 1J-17, 5% bad chip on the CPU drawing too much power.

Ok thank you.
P.S. when you say bad chip on CPU, any chip or a certain one is likely the usual cause?

#5824 11 months ago
Quoted from Cariba:

Ok thank you.
P.S. when you say bad chip on CPU, any chip or a certain one is likely the usual cause?

Any chip that uses 5 volts.

#5825 11 months ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

f the flippers work all the time in attract mode you have a cpu issue, if they work randomly this maybe a PEMBOT issue.

Actually, this is a feature of the original Pin Bot code. In attract mode, the two eye flashers inside the visor are activated during the game-rules display. One of the eyes (the right one, I think) is on a circuit that is only active when the flipper solenoid is energized. Therefore, the flippers are energized toward the end of the game-rules display. This feature is disabled when you run the game jumpered for Germany, in which case only one of the eyes flashes during the rules display.

1 week later
#5826 11 months ago

Has anyone ever ordered the mirrored backglass for Pin Bot from CPR? My translite is not perfect so considering the mirror or a new translite from eBay.

#5827 11 months ago

I was going to but we have had so so many issues here with the cpr glasses peeling it turned me off. Ended up doing my own, but non mirror, on plexiglass. Few custom tweaks too.

received_537573101392351 (resized).jpegreceived_537573101392351 (resized).jpegreceived_878858719790506 (resized).jpegreceived_878858719790506 (resized).jpeg
#5828 11 months ago
Quoted from KJS:

I was going to but we have had so so many issues here with the cpr glasses peeling it turned me off. Ended up doing my own, but non mirror, on plexiglass. Few custom tweaks too.[quoted image][quoted image]

Looks great!

#5829 11 months ago

KJS , are you in the print biz?
Always looking to find out who’s around and doing what kind of work…

#5830 11 months ago

I'm in the "waste money on all my crazy ideas to have something special" biz !
Custom cab incoming next week I'll post up pics when assembled.
I don't mind making my stuff for others but it's not a full time job or anything, always a hobby.

FB_IMG_1684526827634 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1684526827634 (resized).jpg
#5831 11 months ago
Quoted from KJS:

I'm in the "waste money on all my crazy ideas to have something special" biz !
I don't mind making my stuff for others but it's not a full time job or anything, always a hobby.[quoted image]

Pretty cool!

#5832 11 months ago
Quoted from KJS:

Who made the cabinet? VirtualPin?

#5833 11 months ago

I just noticed that the black/yellow and gray/yellow wires circled in my photo are clipped. This is a very original and otherwise unmolested game, so I'm wondering if it was like this from the factory. Would any other owners mind checking their games and seeing if they have the clipped wires, or if they're not clipped, where they lead to? Thanks!

wires (resized).jpgwires (resized).jpg
#5834 11 months ago
Quoted from jibmums:

I just noticed that the black/yellow and gray/yellow wires circled in my photo are clipped. This is a very original and otherwise unmolested game, so I'm wondering if it was like this from the factory. Would any other owners mind checking their games and seeing if they have the clipped wires, or if they're not clipped, where they lead to? Thanks![quoted image]

To optos that never happened.

#5835 11 months ago
Quoted from kciaccio:

To optos that never happened.

Excellent! I love things that I don't have to fix.

#5836 11 months ago

I've been a fan of Pinbot ever since I was a kid...thanks to the ultra weird port to the NES. In weird ways, I'm getting the arcade Pinbot as a house warming gift for my new house but it's in rough condition as it hasn't been repaired by the previous owner. So, I'm going to be on a repair journey of replacing rubber rings, balls, replacing a missing post near the visor, and making sure that the ramp lifter can lower the ramp. But, for now, my focus is going to be making it playable (but that includes the battery and Bridge rectifier mods) more than making it pretty. Granted, the previous owner never got the key for the coin door (hopefully JUST the coin door and the backbox key isn't missing too), so that will be my first step in the journey. I do have some 'general' know how from being a floor op in an arcade during the "Token and physical ticket" era of arcades, but my biggest lack of expertise that would help is in soldering in general.

My biggest question mark is what post is used to the left of the visor as the manual online doesn't show what it uses and I've seen 2 different posts there in the pictures of Pinbot I've seen online: A post with a yellow rubber sleeve and a post similar to the center post between the flippers. Would like to figure it out before I put in my first parts order online, but I also have to move into the new house first before I can work on the machine.

The first picture is a detail photo of the missing post, ball guide damage, and open visor (and I just saw that something broke in the hole) while the second picture shows an overview of the problems that technically don't fall in the "Rubber Ring replacement" field (except that the visor staying open is because a broken rubber ring is obstructing it)

Blue - Visor and post (resized).jpgBlue - Visor and post (resized).jpgBlue - Visor, Ramp and post overview (resized).jpgBlue - Visor, Ramp and post overview (resized).jpg
#5837 11 months ago

I had a cool shot today - ball hit the remaining drop target to get another planet then on to lock itself in the visor - one of the joys of pinball, those random unexpected shots.

#5838 11 months ago
Quoted from lomdr:

My biggest question mark is what post is used to the left of the visor

Congratulations, Pinbot is an excellent, highly rated game and for a reason. You won't regret fixing it up!

- Ok, that post to the left of the visor.
If I squint enough at a magnified picture of the Pinbot flyer, it shows a small metal post with an equally small white rubber (see pic 1). It sits there to protect the ball guide. My restored Pinbot shows the same and there is a similar one right behind it (see pic 2 and 3).

- As for the whole area and fit of the various parts under the visor, this can be a frustratingly subtle problem area. To get my Pinbot (even though fully restored) visor lid, plastics, posts, rubbers etc. to function and play smoothly (lid fully down and flush, balls where they are supposed to lock etc.), I spent many hours getting it just right. The problem is that every game is slightly different (where holes were drilled etc.).

- If your game is like mine, save yourself numerous hours of fastening - unfastening and 'perhaps' try a visor set up like mine (pic 3). I canned the factory set up of posts and placed different posts that work for my game, partly because of the playfield protector and clear protective washers I installed required tweaking of the set up. I went with blue left side and red right side theme throughout the game. No it's not factory but everything on my game plays smooth as silk now!

Let's not even talk about the two visor motor switches under the hood...just yet!)

Hope this helps.

1 -  Pinbot flyer (resized).jpg1 - Pinbot flyer (resized).jpg2 - Small post (resized).JPG2 - Small post (resized).JPG3 - Visor area (resized).JPG3 - Visor area (resized).JPG
1 week later
#5839 10 months ago

Congratulations, Pinbot is an excellent, highly rated game and for a reason. You won't regret fixing it up!
- Ok, that post to the left of the visor.
If I squint enough at a magnified picture of the Pinbot flyer, it shows a small metal post with an equally small white rubber (see pic 1). It sits there to protect the ball guide. My restored Pinbot shows the same and there is a similar one right behind it (see pic 2 and 3).
- As for the whole area and fit of the various parts under the visor, this can be a frustratingly subtle problem area. To get my Pinbot (even though fully restored) visor lid, plastics, posts, rubbers etc. to function and play smoothly (lid fully down and flush, balls where they are supposed to lock etc.), I spent many hours getting it just right. The problem is that every game is slightly different (where holes were drilled etc.).
- If your game is like mine, save yourself numerous hours of fastening - unfastening and 'perhaps' try a visor set up like mine (pic 3). I canned the factory set up of posts and placed different posts that work for my game, partly because of the playfield protector and clear protective washers I installed required tweaking of the set up. I went with blue left side and red right side theme throughout the game. No it's not factory but everything on my game plays smooth as silk now!
Let's not even talk about the two visor motor switches under the hood...just yet!)
Hope this helps.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Hey Many Quarters, why is there a bride of Pinbot head/acrylic piece it seems above the visor?

#5840 10 months ago

Can anyone post a few pics/angles of the switches under the back ramp, particularly the first one (enter ramp switch) ..want to compare mine (and diode wiring etc) to another one. Thanks.

#5841 10 months ago
Quoted from Cariba:

Can anyone post a few pics/angles of the switches under the back ramp, particularly the first one (enter ramp switch) ..want to compare mine (and diode wiring etc) to another one. Thanks.

100_8676 (resized).JPG100_8676 (resized).JPG100_8677 (resized).JPG100_8677 (resized).JPG
#5842 10 months ago
Quoted from Cariba:

Hey Many Quarters, why is there a bride of Pinbot head/acrylic piece it seems above the visor?

Just for fun, that's a BOP keychain fixed on top of the visor!
I thought the factory visor needed coloration improvement, so I painted it with darker colors.

#5843 10 months ago

Thanks for the pics.

#5844 10 months ago

Well getting the ball stuck in the visor as it's closing is a first for me.

20230613_175543 (resized).jpg20230613_175543 (resized).jpg
#5845 10 months ago
Quoted from MoSeS_1592:

Well getting the ball stuck in the visor as it's closing is a first for me.
[quoted image]

Those little visor LEDS are pretty cool. Can you go into what ya did there and acouple more pictures?

#5846 10 months ago
Quoted from RGarriott:

Those little visor LEDS are pretty cool. Can you go into what ya did there and acouple more pictures?

I'll try to get some pics and a video this weekend. It's an 8 segment rgb led strip that uses an Arduino to control the lighting sequence. Normally it's just the pinbot colors as seen in the photo but occasionally in attract mode the lights will periodically flicker and when the ramp is completed it does a knight rider 'scanning' animation.

#5847 10 months ago
Quoted from MoSeS_1592:

I'll try to get some pics and a video this weekend. It's an 8 segment rgb led strip that uses an Arduino to control the lighting sequence. Normally it's just the pinbot colors as seen in the photo but occasionally in attract mode the lights will periodically flicker and when the ramp is completed it does a knight rider 'scanning' animation.

Very cool...don't u have it replicate the bb voice lights as well?

#5848 10 months ago
Quoted from MoSeS_1592:

I dig it. Little custom touches like that are awesome.

#5849 10 months ago

I forgot to take a pic before I put everything back together but used a 3” wire guide and bent it a bit, works good, not 100% but a lot better than it was as far as hitting the vortex. I think I would use a 3.5” but all in all it’s much better. Still some tweaking to do but getting closer that that almost perfect plunge.

F1A67F0D-0371-4CAE-BDA4-0D349473FC53 (resized).jpegF1A67F0D-0371-4CAE-BDA4-0D349473FC53 (resized).jpeg
#5850 10 months ago

Results are pending but after five games it seems things have improved. There is now zero chance of the ball hitting the rubber located above the upper bumper and I'm getting nearly every skill shot into the vortex, where as before it was like 60 % or so.[quoted image]

Looks great! I want to do this too, but I'm afraid, haha.
I agree the specified part I bought from Marco is too long. That's the biggest reason I'm hesitant.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Backbox
Twisted Tokens

$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fargo, ND
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

3,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Clovis, CA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

3,152 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pulaski, PA
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

There are 6,058 posts in this topic. You are on page 117 of 122.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbot-fans-and-owners-club/page/117 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.