20240112_135811 (resized).jpg
IMG_5901 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5902 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7922 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7923 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7921 (resized).jpeg
541EBD6A-2CA4-43E0-AB4B-B18C7FF31AF0 (resized).jpeg
Pinside_forum_7003307_0 (resized).jpg
There are 6,058 posts in this topic. You are on page 113 of 122.
#5601 1 year ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Can you post pictures on how the wires for the sound are plugged in? Also of the Rottendog board.

The photo dump, as promised.

Condition of old MPU after a lot of attempted cleanup, with (original?) ROMs sitting on top:
IMG_20230102_234452342 (resized).jpgIMG_20230102_234452342 (resized).jpg

Sound board. The ROM was actually "Music / Spch" which potentially blows my theory that it was that chip, since speech works.
IMG_20230102_233049878 (resized).jpgIMG_20230102_233049878 (resized).jpg

Rottendog CPU:
IMG_20230102_233015798 (resized).jpgIMG_20230102_233015798 (resized).jpg

Rottendog 11A Audio Module:
IMG_20230102_233026323 (resized).jpgIMG_20230102_233026323 (resized).jpg

The area below that in case it's relevant:
IMG_20230102_233040976 (resized).jpgIMG_20230102_233040976 (resized).jpg

#5602 1 year ago
Quoted from Gornkleschnitzer:

Rottendog CPU:
[quoted image]
Rottendog 11A Audio Module:
[quoted image]
The area below that in case it's relevant:
[quoted image]

That is an early version of the Rottendog board. The newer one doesn't have that daughter board and also has a couple different precision multiturn potentiometers to adjust the sound section. I don't believe that one has any of the sound issues you describe.

#5603 1 year ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

That is an early version of the Rottendog board. The newer one doesn't have that daughter board and also has a couple different precision multiturn potentiometers to adjust the sound section. I don't believe that one has any of the sound issues you describe.

Interesting information, thank you! If for some reason I can't get my spare MPU running properly, I may end up getting the newer version.

#5604 1 year ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

the legs are bent like this for a reason

Many years ago I was told by an engineer from Mettler/Toledo that IC legs are flared to make assembly easier as it keeps the chips in the holes when the boards are turned over for soldering. Since the vast majority of DIP ICs end up soldered rather than socketed I have never questioned this information.

However, your suggestion that the leg flare is designed to keep the chips in their sockets sounds reasonable too. Since I am always interested in correcting my misconceptions I did a little bit of research this morning, consulting data sheets from modern and old EPROM chips, DIP sockets, as well as googling random Internet discussions of this topic. The only information I found, however, is some support for the through-hole soldering argument, a suggestion that the flare makes it easier to build stuffing robots, as well as claims that not all IC leads are bent outward and that some high-value chips in particular use vertical legs.

I would appreciate any pointer to better technical information on ICs and sockets.

1 week later
#5605 1 year ago

I just picked up a PinBot and it has a ‘feature’ I hadn’t seen before.
There’s a wire ball guide / habitrail that goes from the bagatelle area to the left inlane.
The inlane plastic looks like it’s been trimmed a little. Pics on IPDB show that plastic cut similar to the right inlane to allow a ball to drop - so maybe it was a planned feature?
Does anybody else have this?

C2F3941C-ABB4-4FD6-B596-A0AFABDCCD29 (resized).jpegC2F3941C-ABB4-4FD6-B596-A0AFABDCCD29 (resized).jpeg6EAC6C67-CEED-4953-90DB-9BD0BEE60040 (resized).jpeg6EAC6C67-CEED-4953-90DB-9BD0BEE60040 (resized).jpeg033E9841-E149-469F-B395-A73CF87C10D7 (resized).jpeg033E9841-E149-469F-B395-A73CF87C10D7 (resized).jpeg
#5606 1 year ago
Quoted from MadMaxDad:

There’s a wire ball guide / habitrail that goes from the bagatelle area to the left inlane.
The inlane plastic looks like it’s been trimmed a little. Pics on IPDB show that plastic cut similar to the right inlane to allow a ball to drop - so maybe it was a planned feature?
Does anybody else have this?[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I think I recall seeing a post where someone added that. Nothing factory that I am aware of.

#5607 1 year ago
Quoted from MadMaxDad:

I made one like that for my machine but i used copper romex wire inside a blue nylon housing for the rails.

#5608 1 year ago
Quoted from MadMaxDad:

Wow this is cool! Might have to implement this on mine…

#5609 1 year ago

I'm having a heck of a time finding switches for my Pinbot. Specifically SW-1A-164 for the entrance and exit to the ramp. Searched a lot of sites (Marco, Action Pinball etc.) Nobody has them in stock. Can someone direct me to a supply or solution? I thought about trying to just get the reeds and building my own. Any suggestions? Thanks.

#5610 1 year ago
Quoted from Wizbangdoodle:

I'm having a heck of a time finding switches for my Pinbot. Specifically SW-1A-164 for the entrance and exit to the ramp. Searched a lot of sites (Marco, Action Pinball etc.) Nobody has them in stock. Can someone direct me to a supply or solution? I thought about trying to just get the reeds and building my own. Any suggestions? Thanks.

I find Pinball Resource has lots of parts not available elsewhere. You should give them a call or send them an email. You cannot search their website or order online. But they have never let me down.

///Rich

#5611 1 year ago

I'm having a heck of a time finding switches for my Pinbot. Specifically SW-1A-164 for the entrance and exit to the ramp.

The magnet switches by M&M Creations are a much more elegant solution than those factory switch stacks, especially if you use one of Freeplay 40’s translucent ramps.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mampm-creations-mrs-catalog

#5612 1 year ago

I ordered MRS switches as well for my ramp and love them. I do have the old switches if you are interested in them. I will probably never use them again but I do not have the brackets for the switches.

#5613 1 year ago
Quoted from MadMaxDad:

That's the lame mod, for people who can't handle ball drains.

#5614 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballizfun:

That's the lame mod, for people who can't handle ball drains.

What do you mean?

#5615 1 year ago
Quoted from dddanielll:

What do you mean?

some guy here created it because he was whining that the ball could come off the side of the upper PF (as it was designed to do), and sometime drain if not nudged. So he "fixed" it by adding a ramp to take away the already rare drain scenario. He "fixed" something that was not a problem and made the game easier on himself. Might as well blocked the out lanes while he was at it.

#5616 1 year ago

some guy here created it because he was whining that the ball could come off the side of the upper PF (as it was designed to do), and sometime drain if not nudged. So he "fixed" it by adding a ramp to take away the already rare drain scenario. He "fixed" something that was not a problem and made the game easier on himself. Might as well blocked the out lanes while he was at it.

Hmm seems to me more like a cool way for the ball to return to a different flipper after hitting the ramp.

#5617 1 year ago
Quoted from dddanielll:

Hmm seems to me more like a cool way for the ball to return to a different flipper after hitting the ramp.

The design of that crossover ramp looks very flawed to me. First of all, there is nothing to guide it on the wire form. I think most balls would just fall to the playfield instead of riding the wires. The second problem is dropping off to the in-lane. There is nothing there preventing a fast rolling ball from just rolling across the slingshot plastic to the out-lane.

#5618 1 year ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

The design of that crossover ramp looks very flawed to me. First of all, there is nothing to guide it on the wire form. I think most balls would just fall to the playfield instead of riding the wires. The second problem is dropping off to the in-lane. There is nothing there preventing a fast rolling ball from just rolling across the slingshot plastic to the out-lane.

The homebrew one I made years ago has a ball catcher to prevent that.

When I came up with the idea for mine (see photo) it had nothing to do with ball draining. I liked the idea of the upper playfield being able to deliver the ball to either flipper lane and thought a cross-playfield habitrail would look cool. Just personal preference that I'm sure many others will despise.

10211d70a5a87ff6d1b6fa536cdb8cd65bf08e33 (resized).jpg10211d70a5a87ff6d1b6fa536cdb8cd65bf08e33 (resized).jpg
#5619 1 year ago

Just got done playing a few games with my PEMBOT game roms and I really enjoying the gameplay! Brings a new set of rules and stays true to the original! I would highly recommend giving it a try!

#5620 1 year ago
Quoted from sethbenjamin:

The magnet switches by M&M Creations are a much more elegant solution than those factory switch stacks, especially if you use one of Freeplay 40’s translucent ramps.

Thanks for posting those. I'm tempted to get a set for the ramp simply because adjusting the leaf switches is a pain in the ass since you can't do it with the ramp in place. Real trial-and-error, mostly error, in that process. Seems like the exit switch is very intermittent on mine, which is not cool.

Richard

#5621 1 year ago
Quoted from someotherguy:

Thanks for posting those. I'm tempted to get a set for the ramp simply because adjusting the leaf switches is a pain in the ass since you can't do it with the ramp in place. Real trial-and-error, mostly error, in that process. Seems like the exit switch is very intermittent on mine, which is not cool.
Richard

I bought a new ramp and put the old switches on and I was having issues with the exit ramp going off all the time. The MRS switches fixed that and they work great! Get them you won’t regret it!

C5A01D51-4E08-4E01-9C73-59433F91B054 (resized).jpegC5A01D51-4E08-4E01-9C73-59433F91B054 (resized).jpegD4743764-8165-4CD5-8E17-BB69C9AF157D (resized).jpegD4743764-8165-4CD5-8E17-BB69C9AF157D (resized).jpeg
#5622 1 year ago
Quoted from waletboy:

I bought a new ramp and put the old switches on and I was having issues with the exit ramp going off all the time. The MRS switches fixed that and they work great! Get them you won’t regret it!
[quoted image][quoted image]

That first pic makes the red post look oddly like a little Lava lamp was added to the game.

#5623 1 year ago

Had a good game today, could have clocked it with another solar but wanted the highest score.

3BAB28E4-80BD-470B-9561-07DD5D681EC7 (resized).jpeg3BAB28E4-80BD-470B-9561-07DD5D681EC7 (resized).jpegAB55E84A-F002-48FD-A47C-55962318BEEC (resized).jpegAB55E84A-F002-48FD-A47C-55962318BEEC (resized).jpeg
#5624 1 year ago
Quoted from RichWolfson:

I find Pinball Resource has lots of parts not available elsewhere. You should give them a call or send them an email. You cannot search their website or order online. But they have never let me down.
///Rich

Quoted from waletboy:

I ordered MRS switches as well for my ramp and love them. I do have the old switches if you are interested in them. I will probably never use them again but I do not have the brackets for the switches.

Thanks guys, all good info. Now to search for some plastics.

#5625 1 year ago

I could even make a ramp for Pinbot without the roll-over switch cutouts if the magnetic switches were going to be used.

#5626 1 year ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

I could even make a ramp for Pinbot without the roll-over switch cutouts if the magnetic switches were going to be used.

You make a red/blue ramp with magnet switches, connector plugin pigtail with all flashers and stickers installed, a true drop in replacement, then put me down for 1. I like the look. But if it ain’t broke… my original is in great shape, so motivation is low, but if it drops in and works, then ok, give me one. But currently not got the time to move hardware from old to new and remanufacture as needed, looking for more turnkey solutions since diagnosed with the big C. Using my time to play pins more than refurb/mod/restore these days.

#5627 1 year ago
Quoted from Lostcause:

Had a good game today, could have clocked it with another solar but wanted the highest score.[quoted image][quoted image]

Turn on unlimited extra balls and play forever… I quit at my fifth rollover.

#5628 1 year ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

I finally installed the red/blue ramp I bought from you a while back. Fits and looks great! Just wish I had some clear decals for it.

#5629 1 year ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

Turn on unlimited extra balls and play forever… I quit at my fifth rollover.

Wow need to set this up hard then, only had it a few weeks. Maybe get a blindfold lol

#5630 1 year ago

Let everything auto percentage and watch your timers fall to nothing… my drop timer was like something stupid low at one point… kind of fun to watch how it flexes to meet percentages. Put it on hard and try to get to the sun… if your a masochist, or tell your friends your turned it on easy if you’re a sadist

#5631 1 year ago

I've found over the years that nothing makes me get bored of a game more than if it's way too easy. It's why I used to churn through a game in 2-3 months and swap it for something else. Loose or no tilts, everything set either factory or easier. Boring.

Now I set everything up like it's at a tournament. The casual people who play don't notice (they don't shake) and they don't know the settings. Keeps the ball times really low and the interest/challenge levels high.

1 week later
#5632 1 year ago

All,
My (recently purchased) PIN*BOT's knocker doesnt strike when a match is made, the knocker works (on test etc), is it because its on free play? And the match sequence seems to work etc (topper lights flash etc)
I've looked through the manual, other than turning the match feature on or off (it is ON), doesn't seem to be anywhere where I can manually prevent the knocker from activating on match or not.

Any advice, I would much prefer to hear the sound, whether or free paly or not.

Thanks,

#5633 1 year ago

One other question...

My ramp enter switch (switch 40) was not registering, after some trouble shooting seems like it is the resistor between two contacts - Ive bypassed the resistor for now and wanted to know:

-What is the resistor there for anyway? I notice almost all electrical components under the playfield have em.

-What risk is there to run the switch without one?

-Any one know the resistor value to replace it? is it listed in manual?

Thanks

#5634 1 year ago

That's not a resistor it's a diode. It's required. It's a 1n4004 diode. All switches in a switch matrix need them although they are left off of coin switches sometimes (which is bad if the switch gets stuck on)

Some switches will have a resistor and capacitor on them, those are the special activation switches on the pops and slings.

#5635 1 year ago

Ah ok, I understand now, one way voltage switch. ok
Ill replace this asap...do you happen to know what type of diodes are used on the flippers? I'm getting flickering on some LED flashers, I believe the flipper diode needs to be replaced?

I'll check manual too...

Thanks!

#5636 1 year ago
Quoted from Cariba:

Ah ok, I understand now, one way voltage switch. ok
Ill replace this asap...do you happen to know what type of diodes are used on the flippers? I'm getting flickering on some LED flashers, I believe the flipper diode needs to be replaced?
I'll check manual too...
Thanks!

1n4004 also but you can just get 1n4007's they will all work (higher voltage capacity)

#5637 1 year ago
Quoted from Cariba:

Ah ok, I understand now, one way voltage switch.

Correct, with that being said you need to install them in the correct direction. You need to look at the old diode's silver band and install the new diode band the same way.

#5638 1 year ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Correct, with that being said you need to install them in the correct direction. You need to look at the old diode's silver band and install the new diode band the same way.

Ah yes ok thanks for that.

#5639 1 year ago

Hi
Anyone convert to led displays and have 2 working lower numeric displays they would like to sell. Please pm me

#5640 1 year ago

So can anyone confirm why my knocker doesn't hit when a match is made? is it cause its in free play? Cause I'm using PEMBOT? the knocker works for all tests etc.

much appreciated,
thanks,

#5641 1 year ago
Quoted from Cariba:

So can anyone confirm why my knocker doesn't hit when a match is made? is it cause its in free play? Cause I'm using PEMBOT? the knocker works for all tests etc.
much appreciated,
thanks,

I am running PEMBOT and on free play. I believe mine does the same on matching no knocker but high score and replay it works. I will confirm and get back to you when I match a game again.

#5642 1 year ago
Quoted from mike200mph:

Hi
Anyone convert to led displays and have 2 working lower numeric displays they would like to sell. Please pm me

I sold mine when I converted to LED. Honestly do the conversion and never have to worry about it again and they look great!

#5643 1 year ago
Quoted from waletboy:

I am running PEMBOT and on free play. I believe mine does the same on matching no knocker but high score and replay it works. I will confirm and get back to you when I match a game again.

Yes, I noted yesterday that the knocker did in fact work on replay score achieved. I'm still left wondering if the knocker not actuating on a match is a symptom of PEM*BOT or free play setting?

Anyone else can confirm?

#5644 1 year ago
Quoted from Cariba:

is a symptom of PEM*BOT or free play setting?

That's a PEMBOT bug, unfortunately. It will be fixed in J-3. In the mean time, please PM me your email address so that I can send you an updated version for testing.

#5645 1 year ago
Quoted from idealjoker:

That's a PEMBOT bug, unfortunately. It will be fixed in J-3. In the mean time, please PM me your email address so that I can send you an updated version for testing.

Ah ok thanks for confirming and letting us know. There was another issue I experienced with getting a high score, that I ended up having to reset the machine. I thought I read about that on another post or thread, but I recall it was about the music (not playing?) for reaching new high score, whereas the music played for my instance, but some other issues arose. I can PM you with more details.

Regards,

#5646 1 year ago

I could use a little help. My Pinbot has been very reliable since I got it about 10 years ago. I had just played it this past weekend and was going to take it to MGC in a couple of months. I turned it on tonight, and in the middle of the game, the flippers died, displays went out, and the music kept playing. Any ideas on where to start troubleshooting? Thanks.

#5647 1 year ago
Quoted from floyd1977:

I could use a little help. My Pinbot has been very reliable since I got it about 10 years ago. I had just played it this past weekend and was going to take it to MGC in a couple of months. I turned it on tonight, and in the middle of the game, the flippers died, displays went out, and the music kept playing. Any ideas on where to start troubleshooting? Thanks.

Sounds like you need to rebuild the power supply. If you test the 5 volts at the cpu, what do you get?

#5648 1 year ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Sounds like you need to rebuild the power supply. If you test the 5 volts at the cpu, what do you get?

About 4.3V. I'm guessing that's not good, ha!

#5649 1 year ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

By "rebuild the power supply", that means board work right? Sorry, I can fix most mechanical things but have not had to do much on the electronics side other than replace transistors, a BR, etc. If this is board work, maybe Borygard could give me a hand. He's usually at MGC.

#5650 1 year ago
Quoted from floyd1977:

By "rebuild the power supply", that means board work right? Sorry, I can fix most mechanical things but have not had to do much on the electronics side other than replace transistors, a BR, etc. If this is board work, maybe Borygard could give me a hand. He's usually at MGC.

4.3 volts is way low. Problems start happening at 4.86 volts and lower. At a minimum you need to replace the electrolytic caps, maybe the voltage regulator and the bridge rectifier.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

3,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Clovis, CA
3,152 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pulaski, PA
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fargo, ND
$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Lighting - Backbox
Twisted Tokens

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 6,058 posts in this topic. You are on page 113 of 122.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbot-fans-and-owners-club/page/113?hl=pinballizfun and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.