20240112_135811 (resized).jpg
IMG_5901 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5902 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7922 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7923 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7921 (resized).jpeg
541EBD6A-2CA4-43E0-AB4B-B18C7FF31AF0 (resized).jpeg
Pinside_forum_7003307_0 (resized).jpg
There are 6,058 posts in this topic. You are on page 104 of 122.
#5151 2 years ago
Quoted from kciaccio:

Original power supply?

Looks to be original to me,I have never had to do anything with it in the 6 years I've had the machine.
Had the main board gone through and acid damage repaired when I first got it, but that's it.

#5152 2 years ago
Quoted from dr_spidey:

Anyone have a source for the yellow rectangle standup target?

Funny.. I had trouble finding the green round one as well as the yellow rectangle one. They do pop up in the various shops at some point. Took me 2 months to find the green one.

If your planning to keep this machine in your collection for many years to come, then I suggest you look for space faces for all targets. So you always have one at hand if needed. By saying that, these faces don’t seem to break that often

#5153 2 years ago

Aaaaagh,.. I am out of the PinBot owners club,.. so sad to see it go,..but returning home to NZ meant one or two pins in my little collection had to go .. and PinBot drew the short straw
but it is with a family that is truely getting joy from it.

How long will I last without one???,.. given I had two at home for a while (a dunger to learn pinball stuff on, and a good one to play)

#5154 2 years ago

Anyone have info on changing Pinbot from USA to European standards? Czech to be precise

#5155 2 years ago

I asked this on the last page, but didn't really get an answer, kciaccio asked about the power supply, but the comments ended there. Anybody care to point me in the right direction?

Quoted from henrydwh:

Quick question, had my game on last night during the Super Bowl and out of the blue I heard a loud clicking noise and went to find my Pin-Bot playfield dark and my displays all garbled. I immediately turn it off waited a few minutes and turned it back on and got an IRQ error, so I powered it back off pulled the back glass and checked all the connections didn't find anything out of the ordinary. Turn it back on and everything worked again???? Is this something to be concerned about or just a random fluke thing???

#5156 2 years ago

The power supply is worth looking into, especially if it’s original and has not had the capacitors replaced and checked for cold solder joints.

When you checked the connectors, you could have wiggled one enough to where it’s making a connection again and let the game boot again like normal.

Of course that’s just a guess. Perhaps a picture of your power supply would be a good start.

#5157 2 years ago
Quoted from grbgemen:

The power supply is worth looking into, especially if it’s original and has not had the capacitors replaced and checked for cold solder joints.
When you checked the connectors, you could have wiggled one enough to where it’s making a connection again and let the game boot again like normal.
Of course that’s just a guess. Perhaps a picture of your power supply would be a good start.

20220217_193017 (resized).jpg20220217_193017 (resized).jpg
#5158 2 years ago
Quoted from henrydwh:

[quoted image]

That power supply should be completely rebuilt to rule it out from being the issue.

#5159 2 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

That power supply should be completely rebuilt to rule it out from being the issue.

Thanks GRUMPY I will start there and let you know!

#5160 2 years ago

Just wondering if anyone makes a replacement circular orange runway for the Pinbot game.
Thanks.

#5161 2 years ago
Quoted from Tmendo:

Just wondering if anyone makes a replacement circular orange runway for the Pinbot game.
Thanks.

The spiral ramp in the corner has been reproduced and is available at Planetary Pinball and other major suppliers like Marco spec, etc.

#5162 2 years ago

It's a sad day for us Pinbot owners - Barry passed away https://www.pinballnews.com/site/2022/02/22/barry-oursler-dies/

2 (resized).JPG2 (resized).JPG
#5163 2 years ago
Quoted from PM_Jeremy:

It's a sad day for us Pinbot owners - Barry passed away https://www.pinballnews.com/site/2022/02/22/barry-oursler-dies/
[quoted image]

TPF 2018, travelled all the way from Australia, with the prime goal of meeting the man,... What a hulluva nice guy,.. signed my Pinbot manual with "Pinbot Circuits Activated", and he was very proud to have done the call outs. Vale Barry Oursler ,.. and thx for creating Pinbot and all the other great games !!

#5164 2 years ago

I'm a beginner at trying to fix my own games, so I hope this is not something that should be super obvious. My machine was flagging switch 48 (left pop) on boot and this pop bumper was not firing.
1) I visually inspected it and it seemed open at rest and close when the ring was depressed
2) I put the machine in solenoid test mode and the left pop did not fire.
3) I powered the machine back off and inspected again. Didn't see anything new
4) I put the machine back in solenoid test mode and now 04/17 (bottom jet), 04/18 (left visor), 04/19 (left jet), 04/20 (left kicker), 04/21 (right kicker), 04/22 (top jet) are not firing

In the solenoid table these are all listed as CPU Board 1P19- 7 to 9. Does this mean I should be looking at a possible problem on the CPU Board connector labeled IJ19 Special Solenoids on the schematics? This connector and area seems OK. Am I missing something else?

Thanks,
Jason

#5165 2 years ago
Quoted from jjga:

I'm a beginner at trying to fix my own games, so I hope this is not something that should be super obvious. My machine was flagging switch 48 (left pop) on boot and this pop bumper was not firing.
1) I visually inspected it and it seemed open at rest and close when the ring was depressed
4) I put the machine back in solenoid test mode and now 04/17 (bottom jet), 04/18 (left visor), 04/19 (left jet), 04/20 (left kicker), 04/21 (right kicker), 04/22 (top jet) are not firing
In the solenoid table these are all listed as CPU Board 1P19- 7 to 9. Does this mean I should be looking at a possible problem on the CPU Board connector labeled IJ19 Special Solenoids on the schematics? This connector and area seems OK. Am I missing something else?
Thanks,
Jason

Do you have a manual by chance?

Here’s one of you don’t.

https://images.pinside.com/6/da/dc/6dadcc49f5f52e1c12b31d769275b923623acd71.pdf

#5166 2 years ago

…. If you have manual, look at your switch matrix. Sounds like that could be your issue.

#5167 2 years ago

I do have the manual, but I'm not sure I understand the relationship between the switch matrix and the ability of the solenoids to fire in test mode.

#5168 2 years ago
Quoted from jjga:

I do have the manual, but I'm not sure I understand the relationship between the switch matrix and the ability of the solenoids to fire in test mode.

Look at the switch matrix in the manual and highlight the solenoids you are having issues with. See if they are on the same row and/or column…if they are, it could be that’s your problem…one of those other solenoids in that row/column are the real culprit.

It could be the plug that associated with those coils could be trouble too.

#5169 2 years ago
Quoted from metalkatt:

It could be the plug that associated with those coils could be trouble too.

This is more likely as the solenoids aren't a matrix. The switch matrix is only for scoring on special solenoids.

The activation switch grounds the inputs to the logic chips which fire these. The solenoid test activates them through a different circuit path.

Check for solenoid voltage on the coils in question. I think you'll find it missing.

#5170 2 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

This is more likely as the solenoids aren't a matrix. The switch matrix is only for scoring on special solenoids.
The activation switch grounds the inputs to the logic chips which fire these. The solenoid test activates them through a different circuit path.
Check for solenoid voltage on the coils in question. I think you'll find it missing.

I don’t know how to check voltage to the coil. I found videos of checking resistance (mine were ok). I also checked continuity to the power supply board and to to the J19 pin on the CPU board and that was OK on all of them.

I tried the Switch Edges test tonight and the switches noted here don't register when pressed. For the jets, it's the trigger/skirt switch that doesn't register. Pressing the ring down that hits the ball does register.

CC538D7F-8CA5-41B3-ADFF-3AA8FE1E7885 (resized).jpegCC538D7F-8CA5-41B3-ADFF-3AA8FE1E7885 (resized).jpeg

#5171 2 years ago
Quoted from jjga:

4) I put the machine back in solenoid test mode and now 04/17 (bottom jet), 04/19 (left jet), 04/20 (left kicker), 04/21 (right kicker), 04/22 (top jet) are not firing
Thanks,
Jason

#5172 2 years ago
Quoted from jjga:

I don’t know how to check voltage to the coil. I found videos of checking resistance (mine were ok). I also checked continuity to the power supply board and to to the J19 pin on the CPU board and that was OK on all of them.
I tried the Switch Edges test tonight and the switches noted here don't register when pressed. For the jets, it's the trigger/skirt switch that doesn't register. Pressing the ring down that hits the ball does register.
[quoted image]

Voltage set meter to DC positive lead to lug of solenoid doesn't matter which and negative lead on the side rail.

The activation switches are not part of the matrix. The score switches are. Go to pinwiki and read up on special solenoids.

#5173 2 years ago
Quoted from jjga:

[quoted image]

What your seeing is that none of the special solenoids are not working in test. When you were in solenoid test, the game fires these coils in order from #1 to #22. Now since one of the solenoids was not working correctly during a game, then you forced it to work in test, you burnt the fuse that supplies power for all of the special solenoids. The fuse is on the power supply board in the upper right of the back box. Either F-2 or F-4 is burnt. Check this out and let me know what you find.

#5174 2 years ago

F4 is blown. Manual says “see note” on that one, but I couldn’t find the note.

6AC2AF3A-FD33-4C19-9B75-B90CB2D3F97C (resized).jpeg6AC2AF3A-FD33-4C19-9B75-B90CB2D3F97C (resized).jpeg

#5175 2 years ago
Quoted from jjga:

F4 is blown. Manual says “see note” on that one, but I couldn’t find the note.
[quoted image]

Sure looks to me like the "Note" is the larger lettering just above that says "Note:".
For some reason they didn't want to squash the "F4 2.5A, S-B" lettering into the fuse location of the drawing.

#5176 2 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

Sure looks to me like the "Note" is the larger lettering just above that says "Note:".
For some reason they didn't want to squash the "F4 2.5A, S-B" lettering into the fuse location of the drawing.

Oops. My mind had something far more extensive pictured about what the note would be.

#5177 2 years ago

Alright, fuse replaced which restored everything but the original problem of the left jet firing.

In switch test mode depressing the skirt does not indicate the switch is closed. Trying to fire it manually from solenoid test mode does not fire it. There is continuity between the two pins going to left jet from the when the skirt is depressed and continuity breaks when the skirt is released.
7C580089-161D-4622-B2FF-0B3063351D08 (resized).jpeg7C580089-161D-4622-B2FF-0B3063351D08 (resized).jpeg

#5178 2 years ago
Quoted from jjga:

Alright, fuse replaced which restored everything but the original problem of the left jet firing.
In switch test mode depressing the skirt does not indicate the switch is closed. Trying to fire it manually from solenoid test mode does not fire it. There is continuity between the two pins going to left jet from the when the skirt is depressed and continuity breaks when the skirt is released.
[quoted image]

The skirt switch is to fire the coil, not to give points. A second switch is activated when the coil fires which will show up in the switch test. Pull down on the metal ring that hits the ball to activate this switch.

Now since the coil doesn't fire in coil test you do have an issue. I find that the quickest way to fix this is to divide the circuit in half, then in half again until you find the problem. Start by finding the correct coil on the solenoid page in the manual, it will tell you what transistor controls this coil. Then find this transistor on the cpu board. Get yourself a jumper wire that you can connect to the ground braid on one end, the other end you will briefly touch to the metal tab of the correct transistor while the game is powered on. Each time to touch the metal tab of the transistor the coil should fire. If the coil fires then the problem is on the cpu board. If the coil doesn't fire then it's a wiring issue or a bad coil. Let me know if you have any questions.

#5179 2 years ago

My Pinbot has been rock solid for maybe 10 years now without a single issue. Last weekend, it started acting up. On power up, the GI came on, visor just cycled up and down and the scores were out. Starting checking fuses, nothing blown, but I noticed when I touched one of the fuses, it kind of rattled in the holder. So I bent the prongs a little to hold the fuse tighter. All fixed. I think that could have been pretty hard to trouble shoot if it were happening intermittently.

#5180 2 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

The skirt switch is to fire the coil, not to give points. A second switch is activated when the coil fires which will show up in the switch test. Pull down on the metal ring that hits the ball to activate this switch.
Now since the coil doesn't fire in coil test you do have an issue. I find that the quickest way to fix this is to divide the circuit in half, then in half again until you find the problem. Start by finding the correct coil on the solenoid page in the manual, it will tell you what transistor controls this coil. Then find this transistor on the cpu board. Get yourself a jumper wire that you can connect to the ground braid on one end, the other end you will briefly touch to the metal tab of the correct transistor while the game is powered on. Each time to touch the metal tab of the transistor the coil should fire. If the coil fires then the problem is on the cpu board. If the coil doesn't fire then it's a wiring issue or a bad coil. Let me know if you have any questions.

Got it, so I’ll be bridging the back box ground to this point:
9DF591E1-96AF-4FC3-BE1B-A286547A57F1 (resized).jpeg9DF591E1-96AF-4FC3-BE1B-A286547A57F1 (resized).jpeg
7D7128B6-87A8-4B6A-88E2-9028699C7B91 (resized).jpeg7D7128B6-87A8-4B6A-88E2-9028699C7B91 (resized).jpeg

#5181 2 years ago

Alright, the coil fires with the transistor grounded. I’m reading up on board troubleshooting.

#5182 2 years ago
Quoted from jjga:

Alright, the coil fires with the transistor grounded. I’m reading up on board troubleshooting.

Here is the circuit you are going to troubleshoot. The red circles are the most likely problem parts. As before I start in the middle and test the base lead of the predriver transistor Q-72. If you place the game in solenoid test and lock the up/down button down when you get to the correct solenoid, it will continue to fire the same coil. Then you can test components on the CPU with a logic probe to see where the issue is.

sp (resized).PNGsp (resized).PNG
#5183 2 years ago

Ok, so once I have my logic probe I'll put the game in solenoid test mode, get to the solenoid with the issue, then look for the high indicator on the probe when it fires at these three test points.

IMG_1909a (resized).pngIMG_1909a (resized).png

#5184 2 years ago
Quoted from jjga:

Ok, so once I have my logic probe I'll put the game in solenoid test mode, get to the solenoid with the issue, then look for the high indicator on the probe when it fires at these three test points.
[quoted image]

You are correct.

Hook up the logic probe at these test points on the cpu board.

pasted_image (resized).jpegpasted_image (resized).jpeg
#5185 2 years ago

Hello Pinbot club! Anyone encountered an issue with the solar value ramp? Mine suddenly started lifting up and down randomly then after four or five times going up and down most of the time settles back down and functions (relatively) normally. Cold solder joint somewhere maybe? If you have had this happen, please let me know where to look to trouble shoot. Thanks!
DanielM

#5186 2 years ago
Quoted from DanielM:

Hello Pinbot club! Anyone encountered an issue with the solar value ramp? Mine suddenly started lifting up and down randomly then after four or five times going up and down most of the time settles back down and functions (relatively) normally. Cold solder joint somewhere maybe? If you have had this happen, please let me know where to look to trouble shoot. Thanks!
DanielM

Don't overthink it. Switch needs adjustment or is flat worn out and needs replacement. That's your first step. Then you start looking for other things.... next up would be to make sure some other switch in the matrix isn't reading as that switch. That's tougher because it might be a strange combination of other switches that cause it to pop up.

If it happens again leave the machine in the state it's in (ie. balls whereever they are) and go into switch level test, see what switches are showing closed, and make sure they are all actually closed (and any closed switches that aren't showing, investigate why)

#5187 2 years ago

Cool thank you for your response, I’ll take a look at the switch and follow your suggestions. Thank you!

#5188 2 years ago

Ok, logic probe arrived today. When measuring on U45 7402 pin 1, the middle pin on Q72 2N4401, and the left pin on Q73 TIP122 I get the same low then high repeating pulse on any of the three when in coil test mode.

Am I correct in understanding this means he most likely issue is the TIP122 because it is receiving a signal but not switching to ground out the circuit?

#5189 2 years ago
Quoted from jjga:

Am I correct in understanding this means he most likely issue is the TIP122 because it is receiving a signal but not switching to ground out the circuit?

Yes, you are correct. Now replace the TIP122 transistor with a TIP102 as they are 60% stronger. Since your going to make an order may I suggest you order a dozen TIP102, 50 1n4007 diodes, a dozen 2n4401 and 2 SN7402 chips for future repairs. Be sure to install the TIP in the correct orientation, double check your soldering job and clean up the rosin flux with 91% alcohol. Install the board and test it out in solenoid test. Let the group know how it turns out.

#5190 2 years ago

Odd spot to get the ball stuck..

A6BF201A-6994-42EF-A319-29FA34CE749A (resized).jpegA6BF201A-6994-42EF-A319-29FA34CE749A (resized).jpeg
#5191 2 years ago
Quoted from Vin-bot:

[quoted image]

I have a Cliffy on the Target Bank too and although it only happens occasionally, I never remember it happening before the Cliffy. I also find it's a bit harder to lock either of the balls although that can be my imagination I suppose.

///Rich

#5192 2 years ago

I have not noticed any influence by the cliffy. This was the first time I got a ball stuck up there.. I recon the freshly waxed playfield hay have had an effect on the ball.. balls always fly after a fresh coat of wax.

Twice I had a ball flying against the edge of the plastic that’s covering the blue ramp when shooting a ball up the ramp.

#5193 2 years ago
Quoted from Vin-bot:

[quoted image]

I’ve had the same in the past. It just goes to prove that a pinball is a form of intelligence that WILL seek out any spot to lodge itself and force you to take the glass off.

#5194 2 years ago
Quoted from RichWolfson:

I have a Cliffy on the Target Bank too and although it only happens occasionally, I never remember it happening before the Cliffy. I also find it's a bit harder to lock either of the balls although that can be my imagination I suppose.
///Rich

Same here! Never happened until I replaced that plastic and installed the cliffys... that jacked up the front likely increasing the chance of it getting stuck there.

#5195 2 years ago
Quoted from Vin-bot:

[quoted image]

It was desperately trying to get away from the terrible GI setup in the game.

#5196 2 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Yes, you are correct. Now replace the TIP122 transistor with a TIP102 as they are 60% stronger. Since your going to make an order may I suggest you order a dozen TIP102, 50 1n4007 diodes, a dozen 2n4401 and 2 SN7402 chips for future repairs. Be sure to install the TIP in the correct orientation, double check your soldering job and clean up the rosin flux with 91% alcohol. Install the board and test it out in solenoid test. Let the group know how it turns out.

Ok, so the Q72 TP122 is now replaced with a TP102 thanks to help from a local Pinsider. Now when I boot the game the previously dead coil locks on. Does this mean that the upstream Q72 2N4401 is probably also faulty?
A9D4DBF0-86B0-4FB4-977F-3BD24C9DC212 (resized).jpegA9D4DBF0-86B0-4FB4-977F-3BD24C9DC212 (resized).jpeg5F3162F7-BBC9-4058-A5FB-E238C59C46C5 (resized).jpeg5F3162F7-BBC9-4058-A5FB-E238C59C46C5 (resized).jpeg

#5197 2 years ago
Quoted from jjga:

Ok, so the Q72 TP122 is now replaced with a TP102 thanks to help from a local Pinsider. Now when I boot the game the previously dead coil locks on. Does this mean that the upstream Q72 2N4401 is probably also faulty?
[quoted image][quoted image]

Once you make a repair like this, you need to remove the output connector and then test the circuit again. By removing the output connector you would not have a locked coil. When a coil locks it stresses the coil diode, the driver and pre driver transistor. I normally replace all 3 as a set because it only takes me a few more minutes. For this coil you need to remove 1J-19 from the cpu board, power on the game. Test the ohms from the collector of the TIP to ground. Needs to be a very high resistance @ 1meg ohm. Then start a game and retest this again, you should have the same results. Then push on the skirt switch, the resistance should drop to zero.

#5198 2 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Once you make a repair like this, you need to remove the output connector and then test the circuit again. By removing the output connector you would not have a locked coil. When a coil locks it stresses the coil diode, the driver and pre driver transistor. I normally replace all 3 as a set because it only takes me a few more minutes. For this coil you need to remove 1J-19 from the cpu board, power on the game. Test the ohms from the collector of the TIP to ground. Needs to be a very high resistance @ 1meg ohm. Then start a game and retest this again, you should have the same results. Then push on the skirt switch, the resistance should drop to zero.

Ok, good to know about removing the feed to the coil after a repair.

With 1J-19 removed and the game powered on Q73 reads 90.0 K-ohm. Game started Q73 reads 95.2 K-ohm. When depressing the skirt the resistance drops to zero. Given the other TIP122s in this area read around 0.8 M-ohm is it possible I've already cooked this replacement by locking it on, or is this indicating the upstream Q72 2N4401 is a problem?

#5199 2 years ago
Quoted from jjga:

Ok, good to know about removing the feed to the coil after a repair.
With 1J-19 removed and the game powered on Q73 reads 90.0 K-ohm. Game started Q73 reads 95.2 K-ohm. When depressing the skirt the resistance drops to zero. Given the other TIP122s in this area read around 0.8 M-ohm is it possible I've already cooked this replacement by locking it on, or is this indicating the upstream Q72 2N4401 is a problem?

Very possible that it was damaged by the locking on. I would replace the 3 parts as a set that I listed before and retest.

#5200 2 years ago

Referring to my earlier problem of the GRN-RED column being down, I did the jumper test and IJ8 Pin2 is dead. The wiki pointed to the transistors at Q42 to Q49. I pulled the bord out and I found some real worrisome things. There’s a discoloration over the area, some green foil is gone, and there is evident damage at Q49. I tested each transistor (NPN) and the usual voltage was 0.6 on the emitter and 0.7 on the collector. Except for Q49. This one read at 1.1 emitter and 3.5 collector. It also has the most visible scorch.

I mentioned in previous post that there was a lot of heat coming off of the ceramic from R82 to R89, enough to cause the hotglue holding the alphanumeric top left to come off.

I’m going to replace Q49 and resolder the burned areas of Q42 and Q46 but is there anything else recommended?

4AFE1B9F-9C78-4766-9D77-5EAE7A470BC4 (resized).jpeg4AFE1B9F-9C78-4766-9D77-5EAE7A470BC4 (resized).jpeg4956C648-C7D9-4EDF-A91B-5A03A6848080 (resized).jpeg4956C648-C7D9-4EDF-A91B-5A03A6848080 (resized).jpegC41C2965-BD85-4203-871C-EE00C9E3B467 (resized).jpegC41C2965-BD85-4203-871C-EE00C9E3B467 (resized).jpeg83EADBAB-72A1-401A-842F-0CF3CC42CE6F (resized).jpeg83EADBAB-72A1-401A-842F-0CF3CC42CE6F (resized).jpeg9C9CB6F1-F450-47E8-BBD5-C0F6AD1A271F (resized).jpeg9C9CB6F1-F450-47E8-BBD5-C0F6AD1A271F (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Kingston, OK
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

3,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Clovis, CA
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

3,152 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pulaski, PA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Twisted Tokens

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

There are 6,058 posts in this topic. You are on page 104 of 122.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbot-fans-and-owners-club/page/104 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.