• Latest reply 7 years ago by Crispin
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20160228134227761 (resized).jpg
20160228134232604 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mhkohne.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

I've had a Pinbot for a couple of years now that I've just finally finished getting working (It's by no means restored, but it'll play nicely, and that's all I care about). I've got one or two more tweaks to make, but I wanted to see if anyone else has seen a fan in the head before.

It's a 120V fan a few inches across, and it's at the bottom of the head, pointing down the neck.

Any good ideas what they were trying to accomplish? It's kind of noisy and I'm thinking I'll just remove it, but I wanted to see if anyone knows what they might have been going for. I had to rebuild the PS and do some work on the main CPU board before the thing would run, and I wonder if it was marginal with heat, and they put in the fan rather than hunt down the problem?

#4 7 years ago

OK then - I was thinking that since it wasn't original, it wasn't needed, but that mess of electronics certainly shall generate a good bit of heat. I'm going to remove the neck fan (seriously - trying to move the heat DOWN is not the right approach!) and put a couple of small fans in the back blowing out through the vents in the rear of the backbox. That'll be quieter and should actually cool better than the existing fan madness.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

Pinball games used to run in arcades 7 days a week, 24 hours a day. The fan is completely unnecessary.
For anyone worried about temperature just replace the backbox bulbs with leds since that's where most of the heat comes from anyways.

Most likely.

I'll post again when I grab some parts from the junk bin at work - I'm going to try throwing an array of 40mm fans over the vent holes at the top of the back box and see what that does. After I prove it fits, I'll shell out for 3 or so silent ones and try some temperature measurements.

The LEDs are definitely something I should do eventually, but it's not something I can do this minute.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Kingston, OK
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Backbox
Twisted Tokens

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fargo, ND
3,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Clovis, CA
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mhkohne.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbot-fan-in-head?tu=mhkohne and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.