You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

drop.jpg
#1 10 years ago

Hey all,
just picked this pin up today,
I replaced the metal piece that was broken, targets seem to work, i think the coil is stuffed or very weak, it struggles to lift the targets back up, sort of works when the PF is up playing around with it, wonder if coil is the right # also
drop.jpgdrop.jpg

#2 10 years ago

Might just be the picture but that coil looks like its bulging a little. Might have over heated? You could start with a new coil sleeve to see if that helps.

#3 10 years ago

thanks,
don't really have much experience with coils & sleeves,
the plunger is very loose in the sleeve, sideways slop, is this why it should be replaced

#4 10 years ago

They are normally pretty loose.

My experience is when they get sluggish it is because of garbage causing friction. Normally a coil will work or it won't at all.

I would take anything the moves apart as best you can and clean with rubbing alcohol to get off anything that is sticky. If you don't want to take it apart just do your best with a spray bottle of rubbing alcohol, swabs and rags.

You must take the coil apart and clean the inside of the sleeve where the plunger slides and clean the plunger, that can often be a mess.

These parts don't need any oil, but get them clean and dry.

Make sure that the solder joint to the coil looks good, reflow it if it looks marginal. Make sure the multi-strand wire that goes to power the coil does not have a bunch of strands broken. I have seen a few are that are getting ready to break off with only 2 or 3 thin strands of wire left.

#5 10 years ago

Mg81 nailed it. My Pinbot's drop targets got like this sometimes, but since I gave them a really good cleaning and polishing and changed out the coil sleeve they've been very reliable. Its amazing what a small amount of percieved gunk will do to this mechanism.

#6 10 years ago

thanks guys will check it out

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from RyThom:

Mg81 nailed it. My Pinbot's drop targets got like this sometimes, but since I gave them a really good cleaning and polishing and changed out the coil sleeve they've been very reliable. Its amazing what a small amount of percieved gunk will do to this mechanism.

Yep,it is surprising what kinds of problems will be cured simply by cleaning.

I would like to add that if you thoroughly clean the drop target mechanical parts and apply only a very, very small amount of quality molytone or teflon grease ONLY to metal on metal friction points - it will require less effort from the coil and last longer, taste great and be less filling. - and, do not lubricate the sleeves or plungers with anything.

#8 10 years ago

Try a new sleeve on that coil.

I had to replace that bracket too and in doing so had to clean the sleeve.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Clovis, CA
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fargo, ND
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

3,152 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pulaski, PA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
Lighting - Backbox
Twisted Tokens

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbot-drop-target-struggling-to-lift-up and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.