Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20170220_172805 (resized).jpg
#1 11 years ago

I've searched online as best I can and from what I can find this is a common occurrence, but can't find any answers as to how to solve it. The three bank drop targets on the left will go down but not reset up. The coil seems like it just doesn't have enough force to pull the targets back up. But everything moves freely, no binding. I've taken apart the assembly and cleaned and oiled it. Re-soldered all the connections, still no dice. Curious if anyone here has had this problem and know what the common solution is, any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

#2 11 years ago

Not clear from your post....

Does the coil even attempt to move? If no, could be several reasons.

In switch test, are the three drop targets all making their switches?

With game on, push the three targets down. Lift PF, and briefly short the target reset coil lug with the non-banded diode on it to a convenient ground (braid in bottom of cabinet), using a piece of spare wire. Does the coil reset the targets?

#3 11 years ago

my ES drops were also doing this. the coil sleeve i put in was too short causing the plunger to slightly bind when in the down position i installed a longer sleeve (the correct size 03-7066-4) and no more problems.

#4 11 years ago

The coil fires and makes an effort to reset the targets. Strangely enough if any two are being reset when the play timer runs out then they reset just fine, it's only when all three are being reset that it only pulses, like it just can't get them all up. I don't think it's a binding issue or a coil issue, again because it lifts two targets just fine. I've heard by searching that this is a common problem with pinbot, but can't find a reference as to what the problem is. I don't thnk it's the sleeve for the reason that the coil lifts fine when only two targets need resetting, meaning it's not a movement issue. I was just hoping that someone has had this same issue.

#5 11 years ago

Is the metal reset plate intact? Mine was cracked when I got my pinbot.

$5 part.

#6 11 years ago

I had this issue with my Pinbot, and if you've done a google search you will probably find dozens of cases of this symptom and no single common solution.

My symptoms were the same as yours, I think. The coil felt weak. It could reset a partial bank, but if all 3 were down, it'd just pulse. I pulled the drop targets apart and cleaned them all up on mine, since that seemed to be the most common cause. It didn't cure the issue.

It was a bit intermittent on my machine, and I was struggling a bit understanding how the System 11 coil relay system works (I'm no electronics expert).

I ended up shotgunning the repair, which I hate doing but I don't have a lot of spare time to work on the machines. I replaced the relay under the playfield, replaced the coil and re-seated all the connectors and seem to have fixed it with one of those repairs.

I realize my reply isn't much help, but I'd like to follow the your repair progress to see what your solution is.

#7 11 years ago

I would check the sleeve, the coil stop, and the diode first. I'd also make sure the correct strength coil is installed.

#8 11 years ago

Thanks for the reply, our issues sound the same. I completely disassembled the target assembly, cleaned oiled and re-soldered all the connections last night to no avail. Unfortunately I don't have another coil to swap for the time being. You mention replacing the relay, I'm unfamiliar with where this would be or how to replace it. Any way you could explain. Thanks.

#9 11 years ago

What is there to oil on that assembly???

There isn't enough metal to metal contact anywhere on it that would cause very much friction if it looks anything like the system 9 target banks...

#10 11 years ago

Just a little oil where the back of the targets meet the bracket assembly. Not a lot, just a little since I wanted to eliminate any binding.

1 year later
#11 9 years ago

I know, it's a very old thread but does someone have any development with this issue??? I have the same problem with my Pinbot!! Like all of you I completely disassembled the target assembly to clean it, installed a new sleeve with new coil, resolded a lot of pins on the driver board.... New driver and pre-driver have been installed and still the same problem!!!!

2 years later
#12 7 years ago

now I have joined the club of drop target bank sufferers! I took everything apart and cleaned it/replaced the sleeve but to no avail. Next I am going to try a longer sleeve since it seems like a bind and mine had the shorter sleeve in it. Will report back soon!

#13 7 years ago

Confirmed. The longer coil sleeve prevents binding. 100% fixed!

20170220_172805 (resized).jpg20170220_172805 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fargo, ND
3,152 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pulaski, PA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

3,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Clovis, CA
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Twisted Tokens

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbot-drop-target-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.