Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by falco
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

A few weeks ago, I played a few games on my Pin*Bot after finally fixing the flipper buttons, which took me forever to get to, then turned it off for the night. When I turned it on the next day, instead of booting, the displays flickered nonsense, the speakers buzzed the 60 cycle hum at full volume, one of the relays in the backbox flickered on and off at a similar frequency, and some, but not all, of Pin*Bot's translite mouth lights stuck on. I've looked everywhere for a short, but I haven't found anything. Any ideas on what caused this will be appreciated!

#2 8 years ago

Have the batteries ever been changed? Did they leak acid? And any battery acid damage on the mpu board?

#3 8 years ago

The batteries haven't leaked. I installed a remote battery holder around two months after I got the machine (two years ago) and it was one of the first places I checked for a short. The wires are still attached as they should be and there's (fortunately) absolutely no acid damage on the board.

#4 8 years ago

Bump to help me fix one of the best system 11 games!

#5 8 years ago

Do you have a volt meter? Does the game produce +5 and +12?

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

I do have a volt meter. I'll check the voltage, but I'm fairly sure that there's a short or failed component somewhere due to the 60 cycle hum. I'm just not sure how to find it.

1 week later
#7 8 years ago

Bump! Does anyone know which component could cause this if it's not a short?

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from Tux:

Bump! Does anyone know which component could cause this if it's not a short?

If you could report your findings on the 5 volts and 12 volts as John had asked, it will help lead the way.

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

You should all ways start at the begining. ^^^^^^^

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from Tux:

60 cycle hum.

System 11 games do have 60 cycle hum. Though it is not as loud as Data East games are though.

2 weeks later
#11 8 years ago

Sorry for the delay. I know that system 11 games have an audible 60 cycle hum even when working well, but when I turn on the game, there's no sound other than a deafening 60 cycle frequency at the loudest volume the speakers can produce, not a hum. I miswrote. The sound in unaffected by the volume pot.

I'm afraid to check the voltages, because the game seems as though it might be damaged by keeping it on for long enough to check them. I think that the primarily affected parts of the game are the MPU, which appears to be causing the controlled lamps to stick on and flicker, and something in the sound circuit. I'll try to take a video to show the problem.

#12 8 years ago

Unplug the speakers.

Well, seems if you leave the power on long enough to take a video, then you have enough time to measure the voltages instead. Take note of where to measure before turning power on before you get ready to measure them when you do turn power on.

#13 8 years ago

Have someone video you measuring the voltages, twice the info and same amount of time.

#14 8 years ago

Sounds like dead bridge rectifier(s) on the PSU, probably on 5V at least. There's not too much else I can think of that would cause this. If I had that machine here, first thing I'd do is unplug everything from the PSU outputs to prevent further damage, and check the outputs. It'd be nice to do it with an oscilloscope, but just a voltmeter would be enough to tell you whether 5V and other outputs are sensible.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Twisted Tokens

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

2,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
3,152 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pulaski, PA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fargo, ND
3,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Clovis, CA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbot-does-not-boot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.