9 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Relay4.jpg
#1 9 years ago

I'm in the process of completing a pinbot pf swap. After putting the playfield in the machine and while transferring all the parts, I neglected to see 2 flasher wires, and a controlled light wire short. There may have also been a short on the snubber. The 24v line wire was soldered across the gnd terminal. Needless to say the Q7 blew instantly. I replaced it with a tip102 and none of the special relays are working. Checked the fuses and no issues. At the same time the controlled lights are all out. I tested all the tips and fuses (removed and tested fuse as well). Replaced anyway for good measure. Still no controlled lights. Did some testing on the pia and did not find a fault with meter set to diode mode. So stupid me, I take an f14 cpu and install it to see whats up, and again blow apart q7. that is when I found the short on the snubber. Controlled lights work on this board, but now relays are allmost all dead even after replacing the tip102, and I replaced the associated 7408 chip with a socket.

can someone post a couple picks of their snubber wiring (under playfield). I want to compare. I have removed the short everywhere I believe, but now need to hunt down the faults on both my CPUs.

#2 9 years ago

Did you replace the predriver for the Q7, which would be a 2n4401?

I would recommend testing the PIA with a logic probe - a DMM test is not always accurate. A good hit can go right through a 7408

#3 9 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

Did you replace the predriver for the Q7, which would be a 2n4401?
I would recommend testing the PIA with a logic probe - a DMM test is not always accurate. A good hit can go right through a 7408

I removed the 7408 and put a socket there. Also replaced the predriver.

#4 9 years ago

On the A/C select relay the gnd and +28 terminals are supposed to be soldered across.

Relay4.jpgRelay4.jpg
#5 9 years ago
Quoted from chipleader:

On the A/C select relay the gnd and +28 terminals are supposed to be soldered across.

Relay4.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

Hmm, so WTH could be causing the Q7 to blow APART? Smoke and spark show.

#6 9 years ago

If that diode is shorted, it could get pretty interestihg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

3,152 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pulaski, PA
$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

3,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Clovis, CA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fargo, ND
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Lighting - Backbox
Twisted Tokens

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbot-cpu-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.