• 4 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by falco
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Members,

I need some help with my Pinbot! First off I had a perfectly working display on my Pinbot prior to this issue. The issue arose when I was repairing a spare 7 digit display panel that had a pin broke on it that controlled the B segments on the display. I was testing my fix of the pin on my Pinbot’s player 4 connector. I’m not sure what I did, I’ve been working long hours at work and have a newborn at home, so in my daze maybe I accidently connected the ribbon cable backwards or something but now when I plug in the spare display into the player 4 ribbon cable I get the UNITS digit, which is the first number, super bright and the rest of the digits on Player 3 and Player 4 under the normal brightness. On the original player 4 display if I plug that in the Units digit is super bright and the rest of Player 4 digits normal and Player 3’s digits are to dim to see. I tried 2 different ribbon cables and the same thing happens with both.

Months ago I did the zener diode mod to lower the voltage for the displays which I think left the voltage around 94v and -94v. I wasn’t able to test the voltage yet but I imagine it’s still the same as the Player 1 and Player 2 displays work just fine and are the same brightness as before the issue. I had some spare power supply capacitor kits laying around so I installed new capacitors for C1, C3, C10, & C5 as I think those all deal with high voltage display. After the cap install the displays acted the same with the bright unit digit on player 3. I think I damaged something on the Alphanumeric Master Display Board but can’t see anything. Could somebody lend me an idea of something I should look for? Too me it appears that the unit digit is getting higher voltage then all of the other digits for Player 3 and Player 4 and hogging all the power.

Thanks,

Mike

#2 8 years ago

Some digit driving information that might help
See sections:
"Partial Segment Failures on Score Displays"
and "More Segment Problems: the UDN7180 chip"
http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/wms11/index3.htm

#3 8 years ago

try connecting the player 3 display to player 4 with nothing connected to player 3 and see if it works as it should, if it does you may have 2 faulty glasses

#4 8 years ago

Random guess time - I've seen a similar thing before due to a failure in digit selection logic. What was happening was, the bright digit was selected all the time, so whenever one of the other digits had a segment enabled, that would add to the brightness of that segment on the bright digit. I forget the exact failure, but after working that out, and tracing the selection failure back, it was easy to solve. Unfortunately I don't have access to my pinball gear right now, or I'd have a look for likely candidates for you. If it isn't resolved by the time I'm home (couple of weeks), I can see what I can figure out.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

3,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Clovis, CA
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

2,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Lighting - Backbox
Twisted Tokens

3,152 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pulaski, PA
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbot-bright-digit-on-seven-segment-display-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.