20171201_073523 (resized).jpg
F81F9CD3-E45A-446B-A0FA-575727569D7B (resized).jpeg
AD42B5D1-1577-4B98-9EA9-B4600B872D88 (resized).jpeg
0A499A85-5190-475B-AC88-3EAFD8225722 (resized).jpeg
D5D9668C-7DFA-442C-9B66-A02D30E7AFF2 (resized).jpeg
#1 6 years ago

Hello everyone!

HOPEFULLY IM USING THE FIGHT FORUM SECTION

Figured this would be the best place to start for questions I feel I already know the answers too, but want reconfirmation.

Little back story. As a child of the 80’s I grew up being a delinquent smoking cigarettes and spending all my money in an arcade in Wheaton, MD. Just outside of D.C. it was the perfect oasis as you could smoke inside and it had a cigarette machine. Not to mention what at the time seemed like a million games. It was there that I fell in love with pinball. Williams games seemed to be the ones I was most drawn too. Earth shaker, Funhouse, whirlwind and of course Pinbot!

Later in my early 20’s I was at a crossroad with a job and didn’t know what I wanted to do work wise. It’s at that time I decided I wanted to work on arcade machines. I started cold calling amusement companies in my area to see if they were hiring. To my surprise one actually told me to come in. I got the job with them and worked there for about 3 years. Problem is I didn’t get much time in the shop. Most of my duties were to run the routes to collect money. I didn’t learn too much about working on the machines themselves but could do some on site repairs.

Fast forward to last week where I attended an auction and to my surprise there it was a Pinbot. I plugged it and and... nothing. Of course they didn’t have a key. The play field is rough, spiral ramp is broken at the top and seems there are some rubber bands used as bumper rubbers. It had a sticker from an amusement company so I assume it was on a route at some point and then sold to a private collector. I told myself that I bet it’s not working because a fuse or power supply issue. So I went ahead a bid on it. I got it for about 600 after fees and all. Thought that would be a bargain if I could get her operational again. The head board had its security screwed in place so I couldn’t take it with me that night. I came back two days later to drill the lock out hoping the back glass key was still inside. I noticed at this time the lock seemed to be very new looking. Opened up the coin door and no key for the head board. So I had to drill the head board lock out too. Pulled the play field up and that’s when I saw it burnt wires. The power supply also had a blown fuse. The wires coming off the transformer are very brittle and the plastic is almost flaking off. I’m questioning they put a new lock on without a key because they knew the auction wouldn’t have been as favorable.

I attached some pictures for my first question if my restoration. My question is (and as I said I think I know the answer) should I replace the transformer and the wires harness leading up to the head board? Any other info about the cause of something like this would be helpful. Hoping this project won’t be too intense, but I guessed I asked for it buying a non working machine haha. Any help would be appreciative.

Thanks,
A.B.

D5D9668C-7DFA-442C-9B66-A02D30E7AFF2 (resized).jpegD5D9668C-7DFA-442C-9B66-A02D30E7AFF2 (resized).jpeg

0A499A85-5190-475B-AC88-3EAFD8225722 (resized).jpeg0A499A85-5190-475B-AC88-3EAFD8225722 (resized).jpeg

AD42B5D1-1577-4B98-9EA9-B4600B872D88 (resized).jpegAD42B5D1-1577-4B98-9EA9-B4600B872D88 (resized).jpeg

F81F9CD3-E45A-446B-A0FA-575727569D7B (resized).jpegF81F9CD3-E45A-446B-A0FA-575727569D7B (resized).jpeg

#2 6 years ago

First thing, Is it a reimport? Are the jumper wires correct at the transformer for US voltage?

#3 6 years ago

Definitely going to have to re-pin or replace those plugs.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

the wire is toast, you can see the soot on the cabinet wall where a small fire started...

20171201_073523 (resized).jpg20171201_073523 (resized).jpg

#5 6 years ago

Check and correct all of the fuses too. The fuses are supposed to open if there is a problem, so you don't get melting wires, fires, or burnt circuits. Can't tell you how often I've found 15 Amp fuses where there should be a 4 amp fuse, or something similar.

Good luck with the project. For some of us, getting them going is half of the fun.

#6 6 years ago

Looks like it could have shorted a bridge rectifier. This was an issue on older WMS games. http://home.kpn.nl/p.koch3/bridge_board.htm

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from Brtlkat:

First thing, Is it a reimport? Are the jumper wires correct at the transformer for US voltage?

I’m not around the cabinet right now but this is the transformer that is currently in it. Im not sure of what leads are coming off of the transformer.

685A882F-5A72-43EA-9E67-C1F8E9DB82D0 (resized).jpeg685A882F-5A72-43EA-9E67-C1F8E9DB82D0 (resized).jpeg

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

Do you all recommend buying a whole new transformer or could I get the leads on this one fixed?

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from PinbotNewbie:

Do you all recommend buying a whole new transformer or could I get the leads on this one fixed?

If the transformer is still good you can repin the wires and get new connectors. You're going to be doing some wiring on the other side anyway. There may be a local pinhead that can help you out.

Great Plains Electronics https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/default.asp should have everything you'll need to get the job done, and can provide advice as well.

#10 6 years ago

Transformer is probably still good and they are EXPENSIVE. Like has been said change the wires, replace connectors and fuses and start from there. You may have board issues too.

#11 6 years ago

Just chiming in to agree with others, the wires and that connector all need to be replaced before you worry about the transformer. The transformers are not usually the problem. There will likely be work to do in the backbox, but that's hard to say without seeing it and knowing that you are getting good clean power into the game.

Check out this phenomenal guide on repairing pinball tables. http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/wms11/index1.html

In particular, check the section on "Before turning on the game", but in this case, make that "before getting the plug anywhere near an outlet"

Welcome back to pinball!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fargo, ND
$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Lighting - Backbox
Twisted Tokens

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Kingston, OK
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
3,152 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pulaski, PA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbot-auction-find and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.