(Topic ID: 193728)

Pinbot Alphanumeric Displays Out

By Pinball-Pat

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Pinbot came home this weekend, and my first task it to try and get the two upper alphanumeric displays to work. They are currently 100% out. I've been doing some reading in the forums and have tried re-seating my connectors. Is this how the boards typically fail? (Out VS Dim or Flickering). Do they most likely require replacement or is there some components I should try re-heating the solder on etc etc.
Any tips would be appreciated. Or any leads on some new glass displays or X-pin conversions for sale.

Thanks for the pointers,
Pat

#2 6 years ago

Have you tried swapping the lower displays with the uppers? Does the problem move? If the problem moves then the displays are probably dead

#3 6 years ago

That's part of the trick figuring this out. The bottom displays are just numeric, and the uppers are alphanumeric. So I don't have a "good" board to try and swap in. It's too bad it's the uppers, because my game came with some spare lower numeric boards.
Thanks though

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-Pat:

That's part of the trick figuring this out. The bottom displays are just numeric, and the uppers are alphanumeric. So I don't have a "good" board to try and swap in. It's too bad it's the uppers, because my game came with some spare lower numeric boards.
Thanks though

my bad, i'm used to the led displays that look alpha

#5 6 years ago

No problem, I thought they were all the same at first glance too.

1 week later
#6 6 years ago

So I've done some tinkering. I believe I've proven my ribbon cables ok by swapping them into different positions. From main board to display board and from display board to individual display board. The lower numeric displays are never effected.

Is there a common IC that goes bad, or a trouble spot on the display board that commonly needs repair?
I have a feeling that the displays themselves are good. Appear to have been replaced recently.

Looking for my next move to exhaust before throwing in the towel for x-pin displays.

Thanks for all the help guys.

#7 6 years ago

so here's what we can tell at this point:
1. your HV power is good or the lower displays wouldn't work
2. your ribbons are good

so the upper alpha displays are either outgassed (likely) or there's another problem (less likely).

Do you have a friend nearby with a machine you could try these displays in? this is the only way to know for sure is to try them in a known good system.

If not take a look at the display driver card. Anything burnt or exploded (resistors or diodes)?

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

so here's what we can tell at this point:
1. your HV power is good or the lower displays wouldn't work
2. your ribbons are good
so the upper alpha displays are either outgassed (likely) or there's another problem (less likely).
Do you have a friend nearby with a machine you could try these displays in? this is the only way to know for sure is to try them in a known good system.
If not take a look at the display driver card. Anything burnt or exploded (resistors or diodes)?

Resistors and diodes look good. Basically new. All my buddies just have stern games, so I'm thinking of a different test.
I have a spare numeric board, that I may try and use with jumpers from the alphanumeric output on the driver board. See if I can get even 1 section to light up. +100dc, -100DC, 5VDC ... does this make any sense. Too risky?

#9 6 years ago

Well, I lined up the supply voltage pins with my numeric score display and player 1 appears to be working. Test passed. Now I just need to round up some original glass alpha displays. Thanks to everyone that chimed in, and vid for the pm and recommended reading material.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Kingston, OK
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fargo, ND
Lighting - Backbox
Twisted Tokens

3,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Clovis, CA
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

3,152 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pulaski, PA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbot-alphanumeric-displays-out and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.